2013 Formula 1 Season Thread

Sheiky Baby

• Replies 920
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Gavsy Van Gaverson

Qualifying was cancelled during Q2 due to torrential rain in Australia. It will re-start at midnight tonight.

kingantti1874

Has anybody went for anyone other than Vettel on pole?

If its dry RBR and vettel will be on pole,the car looks sadly a class apart again

Qualifying was cancelled during Q2 due to torrential rain in Australia. It will re-start at midnight tonight.

It wasn't that bad either.

Rain mixes it up too.

kingantti1874

It wasn't that bad either.

Rain mixes it up too.

Agreed, genuinely don't even know why they bother with wets and interactive these days - a little bit of rain and they call it off... Getting worse every year

Geoff Kilpatrick

It's because Albert Park is a road circuit. You tend to get additional surface water for that reason.

The ironic thing is that the weather was boiling up until Wednesday.

Agreed, genuinely don't even know why they bother with wets and interactive these days - a little bit of rain and they call it off... Getting worse every year

Its usually a lot worse at Spa.

As Geoff says being a normal road won't help. The white lines will be like ice.

Get them running. Its great in the wet.

Was at Silverstone last year for the British GP when qualifying was red flagged due to rain. Only takes surprisingly little amounts of rain to change the track conditions. The amount of standing water on the track even after just 20 mins or so was bad. And it wasn't even raining heavily.

The rain in Australia just there looked worse and ss mentioned earlier, there is more standing water with it being a street circuit.

Safety for fans and drivers far outweighs the entertainment Value.

Spot on to call it off IMO.

Better time for me to watch it too being at midnight.

Has anybody went for anyone other than Vettel on pole?

Went for Webber - it has to work for him in his home race at some point :lol:

rossthejambo

Had originally had Button but switched to Vettel after practice. Shame they postponed quali, would mix up the grid a bit and make the race more exciting.

Qualifying coverage will start at 23:45 tonight.

Highlights on BBC at 05.20, just before the race goes live on Sky/5 Live

kingantti1874

Had originally had Button but switched to Vettel after practice. Shame they postponed quali, would mix up the grid a bit and make the race more exciting.

The Mclaren is a dog.. Won't finish top 10 IMO...

The Mclaren is a dog.. Won't finish top 10 IMO...

It makes you wonder how good last years car actually was, well it makes me wonder anyway. For my money, we'll find out just how good Hamilton is this year. I reckon he's pulled an unintentional master stroke moving to Mercedes. I think he is a top driver but I place a lot of stock in the star in a reasonably priced car leaderboard rather than applying any actual knowledge.

kingantti1874

It makes you wonder how good last years car actually was, well it makes me wonder anyway. For my money, we'll find out just how good Hamilton is this year. I reckon he's pulled an unintentional master stroke moving to Mercedes. I think he is a top driver but I place a lot of stock in the star in a reasonably priced car leaderboard rather than applying any actual knowledge.

Well no driver will win in a bad car, to be fair I think it's generally accepted that Mclaren was one of if not the quickest last year .... But they have gone in a new direction and taken a massive risk with the front pull rods...

Also buttons sensitivity makes it hard to tell, he needs a car perfectly suited before he can do it... Remember for large parts of last year he was +1 sec behind Hamilton in qualy...

Mclaren will fix whatever issues they have with the car, but neither button or Perez are good enough to mount a consistent challenge

Well no driver will win in a bad car, to be fair I think it's generally accepted that Mclaren was one of if not the quickest last year .... But they have gone in a new direction and taken a massive risk with the front pull rods...

Also buttons sensitivity makes it hard to tell, he needs a car perfectly suited before he can do it... Remember for large parts of last year he was +1 sec behind Hamilton in qualy...

Mclaren will fix whatever issues they have with the car, but neither button or Perez are good enough to mount a consistent challenge

As slightly more than a casual observer, but less than an enthusiast......did Rosberg and Maldanado not win in bad cars last year?

I'll accept your position of authority as last years prediction league winner, but be assured I intend to fluke :smuggy: a win this year.

kingantti1874

As slightly more than a casual observer, but less than an enthusiast......did Rosberg and Maldanado not win in bad cars last year?

I'll accept your position of authority as last years prediction league winner, but be assured I intend to fluke :smuggy: a win this year.

Last year was a bit of an anomaly mate, the definitive factor was tyres - they had such a small sweet spot temp wise that early in the season it was pretty much a lottery as which team got it right... Of course in a one off event anything can happen but over a season, it's be a miracle to win in a bad car, alonso came as close as anyone last season but even then the Ferrari was on it pace wise by the European stages... They also had a lot of luck early in the season.

Ps - my prediction win was lucky lucky in the extreme, 15th with 3 races to go...

Last year was a bit of an anomaly mate, the definitive factor was tyres - they had such a small sweet spot temp wise that early in the season it was pretty much a lottery as which team got it right... Of course in a one off event anything can happen but over a season, it's be a miracle to win in a bad car, alonso came as close as anyone last season but even then the Ferrari was on it pace wise by the European stages... They also had a lot of luck early in the season.

Ps - my prediction win was lucky lucky in the extreme, 15th with 3 races to go...

Tbh, I thought you were very lucky as well. :troll:

I wasn't meaning the McLaren was bad last year. I had assumed it was amongst, if not the best. I wonder if Hamilton got more out of it than others could have. Alonso certainly got more out of his Ferrari than almost anyone else would have.

rossthejambo

I had Button to win as well but switched him to well down the field.

Amazing the gulf that seems to have grown from testing to Melbourne between McLaren and the new big 3 (RB, Lotus and Ferrari).

I still have Button on the podium - he seems to like this track.

BBC were commenting earlier that Hamilton looks 'happier than he's been in years'. I wonder why..?

kingantti1874

Tbh, I thought you were very lucky as well. :troll:

I wasn't meaning the McLaren was bad last year. I had assumed it was amongst, if not the best. I wonder if Hamilton got more out of it than others could have. Alonso certainly got more out of his Ferrari than almost anyone else would have.

Lucky or clever, seems I paid a little more attention to the rules ;-) especially around bonus points....

(Sadly rules changed this year)

And I agree, Hamilton, alonso and vettel certainly worth a few tenths over the rest of the field

rossthejambo

McLaren shafted Perez chucking him out on supersofts when the track was nowhere near dry enough.

Vettel pole, Red Bull front row, Ferrari second row, Merc third row, Button tenth.

The McLaren is worse than I thought.

Vettel strolled that. Even the last lap he did on inters with a huge slide at the end was a second faster than anyone else.

He is becoming a bit of a machine. I don't believe he has the natural talent of Alonso or the ability to nurse a rotten car but as long as Red Bull keep giving him the machinery he keep on churning out the results.

Prince Buaben

Massa having a stormer so far..

Then they make him move over for Alonso!

Prince Buaben

Actually they will just make sure massa has a longer stop than Alonso

Actually they will just make sure massa has a longer stop than Alonso

Don't think so. Massa's stop was quick.

Prince Buaben

Don't think so. Massa's stop was quick.

Yeah I noticed! Given them equal billing so far

Yeah I noticed! Given them equal billing so far

Alonso will still finish ahead of him though.

Kimi is flying.

Prince Buaben

Alonso will still finish ahead of him though.

Kimi is flying.

No doubt about that. Next step of stops I reckon. Won't be too obvious.

Was going to say Sutil holding up Vettel but he is 1.1 sec infront. Hopefully Kimi can close in.

No doubt about that. Next step of stops I reckon. Won't be too obvious.

Was going to say Sutil holding up Vettel but he is 1.1 sec infront. Hopefully Kimi can close in.

Alonso pitting now. He'll get the jump on Massa now.

Sutil is actually pulling away from Vettel.

Gavsy Van Gaverson

Vettel still looks unbelievably quick. I'm sure he'll still win this.

Alonso starts to pull away from Vettel as I said this.

Raikkonen still got a massive chance if he can 2 stop.

Archived