2013 Formula 1 Season Thread

Sheiky Baby

MILF taking the reigns of the BBC F1 Presenter I see!

Suzi Perry. Loves her bikes if I remember correctly?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 920
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Didn't see that one coming, unless it's for him to jump into a seat further up the grid.

They can't afford to have a driver who is on a salary, which he was. The next driver will be a ret-a-drive type who can bring in sponsorship.

I'm hoping for Kobiyashi!

it reads to me that they want someone to pay for the drive and glock wasn't going to pay enough (if anything) for the drive

Seems to be the way of it with F1 these days, at least from middle to back of the grid. If you can't get sponsorship you're not getting a drive.

Shame really when you see drivers like Kobayashi getting bumped.

They can't afford to have a driver who is on a salary, which he was. The next driver will be a ret-a-drive type who can bring in sponsorship.

I'm hoping for Kobiyashi!

Glock did command a salary and they want a pay driver.

I too hope its Kobayashi. He deserves to be in F1 and is fantastic to watch.

Let's have a better look at the car from a selection of rendered photo's made available by Lotus F1

dcd1328ja05.jpg

dcd1328ja10.jpg

The renders of the car from the front show how closely the E21 represents the previous carnation but what I wanted to point out here is that the team have released 2 different renders. In the top image the car has both vertical Vortex Generators above the Sidepod Inlet and Cockpit Wings stabilizing the air horizontally. In the lower image the Vortex Generators are missing. There is a small variation in the Front Wings but as we know Lotus ran many different Front Wings last season and so it's hardly surprising to see that trend continue in 2013. Lastly in the lower image we can see the team have rendered the DRDears onto the side of the Airbox signalling that DRD will play a part in Lotus' 2013 championship assault. (James Allison, Lotus' Technical Director also stated the team would continue to develop the concept in 2013)

As a another variation in the image below the inner vertical Vortex Generator also forms the start of the horizontal wing

BBup7VnCQAAq9aq.jpg+large.jpg

dcd1328ja08.jpg

dcd1328ja16.jpg

From the side pictures it's clear to see that the E20's sloped nose remains, I call it as such as their nose has always been a more gradual version of the rules rather than the abrupt ones seen on the likes of the F2012. James Allison was asked during the unveil about the nose and why a vanity panel hadn't been used and rightly so he commented that additional weight (of the panel) is something that the teams are always trying to shed and the team would continue to assess it's application/merits. The team also ran a 'Pelican' nose toward the middle/end of last season in order to better extract better performance from the underside of the E20's nose region which is also missing from the launch spec. Also missing from the launch teasers are any turning vanes under the nose which likely means the team have concentrated their efforts in this region and don't want to give too much away to the other teams too early.

During the 2012 season the team adopted a split in their Sidepod Airflow Conditioners which is clearly missing from the renders and indeed the physical launch car. As I mentioned in my brief look at the car from the leaked pictures yesterday the team seem to have adopted a sharp undercut in the engine cover under the Airbox. This is likely done to maximise the upswept air from the sloped nose and re-purpose the airflow down to the rear of the car.

We can see once more that the team are edging their bets in the render department showing two variants of the exhaust solution. The physical launch car featured a Red Bull esque Downwash Ramp with Exhaust trough and cross-under tunnel but in the lower rendering we can see a more simple ramp configuration also ran by Red Bull throughout 2012 but can be traced back to Sauber early on in the season (Larger image below)

One thing I'd like to re-iterate is that although it appears Lotus may be following Red Bull's lead somewhat it seems they are yet to follow one of Adrian Newey's biggest differentiators: the halfshaft shroud. The halfshaft shroud used in different forms on the family of cars since the RB5 helps to isolate the airflow over the rear of the car as normally the halfshaft rotates the airflow creating downforce of it's own (Magnus Effect) the trouble is when you introduce another airflow regime especially one as unpredictable as the exhaust plume this effect becomes a little more erratic. I wait to see how many teams following the Red Bull exhaust styles will also adopt the halfshaft shrouds in 2013.

Exhaust+Ramp.jpg

Moving to the rear of the car and the rendered picture will simply be a placeholder bearing a resemblance to the E20 in terms of diffuser design with the exception being that the exhaust tunnels exit is placed centrally above the perforated diffuser gurney. Once again we have two different designs shown in terms of Rear Wing Endplates with the lower version showing some McLaren-esque strakes. The render showing the rear of the car doesn't show the design of their DRD which will have also likely evolved from the version run in several Free Practice sessions during 2012.

dcd1328ja02.jpg

dcd1328ja17.jpg

Lotus F1 may well have unveiled their 2013 challenger to the world ahead of their rivals but they certainly haven't given a huge amount away. What we can take away from the rendered and physical images of the E21 though is that the car is clearly an evolution of the E20 featuring push rod front suspension, a sloped nose, unchanged Sidepod inlets and an exhaust solution that will maximise the Coanda effect to gain additional rear downforce (albeit we don't currently know which type).

(copied and pasted)

I actually quite like the new noses.

I am the same, quite fond of them now. Interesting to see Lotus never wanted the vanity plate due the weight. Think a lot of teams may go this way with the exception of McLaren.

Not sure if this is well known but just read that the new Ferrari F138 will be unveiled on Friday morning :jjyay:

Not sure if this is well known but just read that the new Ferrari F138 will be unveiled on Friday morning :jjyay:

Car Launches

Jan 28 - Lotus

Jan 31 - McLaren

Feb 01 - Ferrari

Feb 01 - Force India

Feb 02 - Sauber

Feb 03 - Red Bull

Feb 04 - Mercedes

Feb 04 - Toro Rosso

Feb 05 - Caterham

Feb 19 - Williams

Yup - Big reveal tomorrow though!

All these cars look the same.

I was thinking the same thing. The nose on the Force India looks strange to me.

Like I said yesterday, I prefer the noses from last season with the step in them.

The step is awful imo.

Glad more teams seem to be going back to the non step look.

All the cars now have the step, just covered by a vanity panel...

Surely the whole point is areodynamics though?

I'm not convinced the step in the nose made much difference aerosynamically, McLaren were the only ones without last season and they weren't any closer to the Red Bulls, you could argue that Lotus closed up on them a bit as well.

All people spoke about was the look of them rather than anything else, don't think the vanity panel does anymore than the name suggests.

I'm not convinced the step in the nose made much difference aerosynamically, McLaren were the only ones without last season and they weren't any closer to the Red Bulls, you could argue that Lotus closed up on them a bit as well.

All people spoke about was the look of them rather than anything else, don't think the vanity panel does anymore than the name suggests.

This.

We've already seen from the reveals that it wasn't as important as first thought. At one point I was thinking it provided more downforce however, this season the teams aren't looking to take advantage of that part of the car. The changes I think this season will be more subtle i.e less noticeable on the car visually.

That said, another thing to take on board is the teams might be releasing a 'show nose' to throw off the opposition. Ferrari/Force India etc might still be using a stepped nose.

kingantti1874

Not really mate, the teams (Mclaren apart until this year) all followed red bill in having a high bulkhead to maximise air under the car, the problem was the nose was above the height if the cockpit so they could literally skewer the driver in a side on crash, so they changed the rules and left the bulkhead at the same height but dictated that the nose had to be dropped below the height of the cockpit hence the step...

The panel is literally only there as lots of people thought they look ugly, even the FIA refer to them as "vanity panels" they are optional and have a weight penalty so not all teams expect to use, rumour is RBR wont..

Next year rules change again so noses are on the floor virtually and bulkhead, cars should look much smaller and lower with obviously the different engine regs as well

Like the Sauber and the colour change as well, interesting section on the nose.

See RedBull went with the step nose as well, looks a bit more subtle than last year though.

Like the Sauber and the colour change as well, interesting section on the nose.

See RedBull went with the step nose as well, looks a bit more subtle than last year though.

I think the Sauber is the nicest so far. I read that the Red Bull has a "mini modesty plate". Also they may have something different about their floor area behind the sidepods.

The Marussia looks ace. Kind of reminds me of an Indy Car with it's sleek engine cover.

It is a very nice looking car, very sleek! Doubt it will be fast though.

17433.jpg

kingantti1874

Brake problems I heard.

Yes rear brake failure - it really pains me to see Mclaren looking so strong so early in testing and Hamilton in a dog.. Unbelievably dumb decision from a driving perspective .. The f1 equivalent of temps to sevco..

Yes rear brake failure - it really pains me to see Mclaren looking so strong so early in testing and Hamilton in a dog.. Unbelievably dumb decision from a driving perspective .. The f1 equivalent of temps to sevco..

Have to agree.

Looks like he fancied a bit more cash rather than titles. Shame that considering he'll be very wealthy anyway.

I wonder what'll happen as both he and Rosberg have yellow helmets. Will 1 change?

kingantti1874

Have to agree.

Looks like he fancied a bit more cash rather than titles. Shame that considering he'll be very wealthy anyway.

I wonder what'll happen as both he and Rosberg have yellow helmets. Will 1 change?

Not at the moment they haven't mate... Both stuck with yellow though different colour t-cam

Not at the moment they haven't mate... Both stuck with yellow though different colour t-cam

Rosberg's helmet is brighter than Hamiltons.

Can you imagine if Murray Walker was still commentating? :lol:

kingantti1874

Rosberg's helmet is brighter than Hamiltons.

Can you imagine if Murray Walker was still commentating? :lol:

Its daft isnt it - look at the autosport forum - big thread on it..Hamilton should have changed if you ask me...

Though saying that he tends to be one of the drivers who changes every race anyway

Its daft isnt it - look at the autosport forum - big thread on it..Hamilton should have changed if you ask me...

Though saying that he tends to be one of the drivers who changes every race anyway

Hamiltons went from yellow to gold last season.

Wouldn't be surprised if its easy to tell them apart.

We'll soon see.

Archived