2013 Formula 1 Season Thread

Sheiky Baby

After a fantastic season this year the countdown begins already to Melbourne 2013. I'm not sure if there are many rule changes this year so if you guys know drop it here.

The Teams (As it stands):

Red Bull: Sebastian Vettel, Mark Webber

Ferrari: Fernando Alonso, Felipe Massa

McLaren: Jenson Button, Sergio Perez

Lotus: Kimi Raikkonen, Romain Grojsean (not sure if he is a definite yet)

Mercedes: Lewis Hamilton, Nico Rosberg

Sauber: Nico Hulkenberg, Esteban Gutierrez

Force India: Paul Di Resta, Vacant (Sutil, Alguersuari, Kobayashi kicking about)

Williams: Pastor Maldonado, Valtteri Bottas

Torro Rosso: Daniel Riccardo, Jean-Eric Vergne

Caterham: Bruno Senna?, Charles Pic

Marrusia: Timo Glock, Max Chilton?

HRT: Who cares (might not be on the grid) Pedro De La Rosa?, Ma Qing Hua?

17 March - Australia (Melbourne)

24 March - Malaysia (Sepang)

14 April - China (Shanghai)

21 April - Bahrain (Sakhir)

12 May - Spain (Barcelona)

26 May - Monaco

9 June - Canada (Montreal)

30 June - Britain (Silverstone)

14 July - Germany (Nurburgring/Hockenheim)

28 July - Hungary (Hungaroring)

25 August - Belgium (Spa-Francorchamps)

8 September - Italy (Monza)

22 September - Singapore (Marina Bay)

6 October - Korea (Yeongam)

13 October - Japan (Suzuka)

27 October - India (Buddh International)

3 November - Abu Dhabi (Yas Marina)

17 November - United States (Austin)

24 November - Brazil (Interlagos)

Reckon it will be another cracking season and looks like the last under these engine rules.

Next stop, the car reveals :jjyay:

• Replies 920
  • Created
  • Last Reply

HRT are not on the official list for next season. They've not paid their bond.

Yeah that's why I said they might not make it. You never know in F1 though! Could find a buyer tomorrow.

Not many changes in the regs for next season, biggest one is the ban on DDRS and DRS only being used in certain parts of the tracks in qualifying. Think it will be close again.

The Natural Order

The cars will look much the same but better due to the addition of a lightweight cover that masks the step in the nose.

How do people think Perez will do? I think he will struggle in quali. Should do OK in the race. Just can't see him doing that great to be honest, think it is a massive risk McLaren is taking with him.

I think Perez will do well, inconsistent more than likely but you could see with some of his drives last year that there's something special there, IMO anyway.

I take it there's no chance Kubica could come back next year?

How do people think Perez will do? I think he will struggle in quali. Should do OK in the race. Just can't see him doing that great to be honest, think it is a massive risk McLaren is taking with him.

I think they'll regret not going for Di Resta. Perez was bringing in more money however so you could see how he got the nod over him. Too rash for me, can be a great driver but makes very stupid mistakes, especially with overtaking.

In terms of Di Resta, unless any of the Torro Rosso guys show what they can do this year I can see him getting Webber's seat. There's no way he'll be in a Force India next year.

Perez is a very capable driver, but I'm not sure if he is McLaren quality. His nosedive in form since his McLaren seat was confirmed must be a concern. I think he's got a few podiums in him, but this is a Heikki Kovalainen-grade appointment.

Perez is a very capable driver, but I'm not sure if he is McLaren quality. His nosedive in form since his McLaren seat was confirmed must be a concern. I think he's got a few podiums in him, but this is a Heikki Kovalainen-grade appointment.

:spoton:

I tend to agree that Perez wont do that well, overtaking is a issue and he never done enough for me to earn a drive at a top team... I would love for PDR to get a drive at Redbull, the guys at STR are not that great to be honest. Hope PDR has a great season and he can put himself in for a shout at a decent drive for 2014.

kingantti1874

I agree, Perez doesn't have the speed - his performances came when sauber hit the sweet spot in terms of tyre degradation.. I think even Mclaren are making worried noises about him not having the pace..

I genuinely believe its a real shame that the only team that can challenge the bulls will not have a top driver to compete ...

Vettel will win again next season - sigh :-(

I think they'll regret not going for Di Resta. Perez was bringing in more money however so you could see how he got the nod over him. Too rash for me, can be a great driver but makes very stupid mistakes, especially with overtaking.

In terms of Di Resta, unless any of the Torro Rosso guys show what they can do this year I can see him getting Webber's seat. There's no way he'll be in a Force India next year.

No chance he'll be at Red Bull.

He beat Vettel in equal cars in Formula3 so Vettel wouldn't allow it.

Is he good enough anyway?

kingantti1874

Di resta? No he's not IMO.. He's very consistent, a very good driver but top 3 teams ? No chance ... (Saying that I don't think he's worse than button or Perez)

He got his ass handed to him by hulk once he got familiar with the car... Beaten consistently in qualy and the race...

I honestly can't believe though on a side note Mclaren will go into the season with that driver pairing... Snorefest

:lol: I was actually in the middle of typing 'Vettel wouldn't allow it' on that post but I deleted it thinking 'Vettel wouldn't care, he's 3 time world champion FFS!' and dismissed my though straight away!

His professionalism and determination more than anything should see him in a leading car. More than likely to bring the car home where it's supposed to be in the final standings. I don't see him lighting up the track, however a capable race winner and IMO will be better than Webber when the time comes to make the switch.

Di resta? No he's not IMO.. He's very consistent, a very good driver but top 3 teams ? No chance ... (Saying that I don't think he's worse than button or Perez)

He got his ass handed to him by hulk once he got familiar with the car... Beaten consistently in qualy and the race...

I honestly can't believe though on a side note Mclaren will go into the season with that driver pairing... Snorefest

He and the Hulk were very evenly matched. Only a few 10ths in it in qualifying.

He can bring a car home though.

:lol: I was actually in the middle of typing 'Vettel wouldn't allow it' on that post but I deleted it thinking 'Vettel wouldn't care, he's 3 time world champion FFS!' and dismissed my though straight away!

His professionalism and determination more than anything should see him in a leading car. More than likely to bring the car home where it's supposed to be in the final standings. I don't see him lighting up the track, however a capable race winner and IMO will be better than Webber when the time comes to make the switch.

I'd love to see him in a car capable of winning races. Will it ever happen though?

I think he'll always be overlooked unfortunately.

Matthew Le Tissier

On a side note. Did anyone else really enjoy Tooned? I found it funny as feck and smart :jjyay:

Gavsy Van Gaverson

On a side note. Did anyone else really enjoy Tooned? I found it funny as feck and smart :jjyay:

I thought they were very good. A bit light hearted fun to enjoy in the build up to the race.

Di Resta is a champion in the making. Ferrari to win this 2013 Championship (early prediction). I dont think Perez will do particularly well next year as McLaren will need at least a season to develop a car to suit him.

Di Resta is a champion in the making.

I agree.

In sports car racing. He'll win Le Mans within five years. In F1 he doesn't have the extra bit of pace needed.

Out of interest, can some of you chaps put up your top 10 curent F1 drivers at the moment? Not in terms of standings or that, but in terms of how you rate them.

1. Fernando Alonso

2. Lewis Hamilton

3. Sebastian Vettel

4. Kimi Raikkonen

5. Jenson Button

6. Paul Di Resta

7. Sergio Perez

8. Mark Webber

9. Nico Rosberg

10. Nico Hulkenberg

Out of interest, can some of you chaps put up your top 10 curent F1 drivers at the moment? Not in terms of standings or that, but in terms of how you rate them.

I'd go for:

1. Fernando Alonso

2. Sebastian Vettel

3. Lewis Hamilton

4. Kimi Raikkonen

5. Jenson Button

6. Nico Hulkenberg

7. Felipe Massa

8. Mark Webber

9. Paul Di Resta

10. Sergio Perez

1. Alonso

2. Raikkonen

3. Vettel

4. Hamilton

5. Button

6. Webber

7. Hulkenberg

8. Rosberg

9. Maldonado

10. Massa

Can see Di Resta taking a Ferrari seat after Massa goes next year. Would be a good move for both, as he'll not threaten the stranglehold Alonso has on the team, but being of Italian heritage, he'd be a good PR move for the team. Plus, in a good car, he'd be mixing it at the front of the pack.

Definitely lost his way after Singapore this year...think being overlooked by the big teams got to him mentally, hence why Hulk gave him a bit of a doing in the second half of the season. As for top 10 drivers:

1. Alonso
  2. Hamilton
  3. Vettel
  4. Raikkonen
  5. Webber
  6. Button
  7. Massa
  8. Di Resta
  9. Perez
  10. Maldonado

Everyone has Di Resta ahead of Perez. Why did McLaren opt for Perez then?

didn't want an all british lineup again as it limits sponsors

:wonga:

Di Resta also said this too but nobody will take his word for it as he lost out.

Also, Di Resta's name was the first out of Whitmarsh's mouth when asked who missed out for Perez. He then went on to say Perez's age played a part and I believe they think he has more potential.

I don't see it though. A level head is needed in F1 and Perez doesn't have it.

Prince Buaben

Alonso

Vettel

Raikkonen

Hamilton

Button

Webber

Rosberg

Massa

Hulkenburg

Maldanado

I think McLaren are already regretting taking him on. More to do with nationality than talent.

As for my top 10.

1. Alonso.

2. Vettel

3. Hamilton.

4. Raikkonen.

5. Button.

6. Webber.

7. Hulk.

8. Maldonado.

9. di Resta.

10. Grosjean.

I agree.

In sports car racing. He'll win Le Mans within five years. In F1 he doesn't have the extra bit of pace needed.

Give him the right car and team, Red Bull say. When Webber calls it a day, itis a definite possibility. We all know how well Seb has developed at the Milton Keynes based team. So I have no doubt if Paul was to move in 2014 he will be great asset for the current World Champions.

1. Sebastian Vettel

2. Lewis Hamilton

3. Fernando Alonso

4. Kimi Raikkonen

5. Jenson Button

6. Paul Di Resta

7. Mark Webber

8. Nico Rosberg

9. Kobayashi (not sure how you spell it)

10. Nico Hulkenberg

Walter Bishop

I think Perez will surprise alot of people next year. Di Resta for me was always a stick on to replace Schumacher however when Hamilton gave them the nod i think that went on the back burner.

• 2 weeks later...

grosjean confirmed as lotus driver

FORMULA 1

Lotus re-sign French driver Romain Grosjean for another season. The 26-year-old finished on the podium three three times last season but also featured in several high-profile crashes.

I think Perez will surprise alot of people next year. Di Resta for me was always a stick on to replace Schumacher however when Hamilton gave them the nod i think that went on the back burner.

Diresta seems to suffer from David Leslie syndrome for those older people :- Far better driver than dr Jonathan but didn;t have the pr spin behind him

looks like Kobayashi is out of the 2013 season :sob:

Shame that. He can bring $8m too.

An excellent driver who goes for it every time.

Surely he'll be back in 2014.

Ferrari are saying they'd choose Vettel over Hamilton if they needed to appoint a new lead driver.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...rmula1/20809274

This is what you would expect from Ferrari, stirring to a great extent. I don't think it does their credibility any good saying this like this, it's not the sort of thing you hear from Red Bull or McLaren. It would be aazing to see Alonso, Hamilton and Vettel in the same car, I wouldn't like to predict the winner. You'd probably get Vettel on pole, with Hamilton 2nd, but by the time they reach the first cornere they'd all be level!

Archived