Scottish independence and devolution superthread

Happy Hearts

Fascinating to watch on bbc news channel. Managed to get some sleep between 10 and 1, will try and stay awake for the rest. Who cares about work in the morning!!!

Pleasing results so far and the fact that yes centric glasgow and Dundee have relatively lower turnouts is good news

1 vote in it in Inverclyde??

No way....

Not a valid reason for a recount and in the grand scheme of things, unlike a normal election it matters not a jot.

Edit: Pretty incredible though.

Edited by graygo

SNP official says if we get 40% in Edinburgh we,ll be happy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Looking like 61% No in Edinburgh

Yes supporters leaving East Lothian Count En Masse

Not a valid reason for a recount and in the grand scheme of things, unlike a normal election it matters not a jot.

Oh I know

It's just amazing that in a voting area of thousands of votes it can be so evenly split

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

Under 80% turnout in Glasgow is a huge surprise. Just how disengaged do you need to be to not vote in an election like this? What would it take to enthuse these people? Is it even possible?

Under 80% turnout in Glasgow is a huge surprise. Just how disengaged do you need to be to not vote in an election like this? What would it take to enthuse these people? Is it even possible?

Don't think this was quite the case.

Maybe the undecideds never decided.

Could be a large immigrant population? I work with a lot of people from Poland to Sudan to Hungary to Nepal who won't vote as they feel like they shouldn't get involved in another countries politics

CJGJ

It is well recognised that voting habits change in a lot of people as they get older

As young voters now get older, get jobs, have families and start thinking about things like pensions and owning houses a lot of them will vote differently.

The young that have voted yes this time will not all vote yes in 30 years

You can take that to the bank

Do I get something in return ? :tiny:

The reason I posted re that matter is this. Within the last 30 years we have seen support steadily rise for independance and given that it is I feel inevitable we will see it arrive as part of a natural process.

This vote will also have increased support amongst Scots for that view but we are not talking about next week or next year of course.

The move towards federalism and more powers will give us Scots the confidence we can run matters effectively and once the fear disappears (or lack of confidence if you wish) we will see support rise..........As I say what might change everything is the rise in English Nationalism that will result and with it a feeling of being dominated rather than being in partnership with England. That will mean change will come... but it's just an opinion.

alwaysthereinspirit

Keeping the pubs open all night probably sounded like such a good idea at first.

Can't be good for the Yes vote.

Lesley Riddoch is taking Yes's probale defeat very badly. It's a numbers game; being a "grassroots" campaign doesn't matter if they are a minority.

Do I get something in return ? :tiny:

The reason I posted re that matter is this. Within the last 30 years we have seen support steadily rise for independance and given that it is I feel inevitable we will see it arrive as part of a natural process.

This vote will also have increased support amongst Scots for that view but we are not talking about next week or next year of course.

The move towards federalism and more powers will give us Scots the confidence we can run matters effectively and once the fear disappears (or lack of confidence if you wish) we will see support rise..........As I say what might change everything is the rise in English Nationalism that will result and with it a feeling of being dominated rather than being in partnership with England. That will mean change will come... but it's just an opinion.

I don't agree with him but salmond was an excellent political leader for the yes vote

Without such leadership that plays to the audience - very well - the vote wouldn't be anywhere near as close as it was or might be

I doubt the independence movement will get such an effective leader again any time soon

J.T.F.Robertson

Maybe some have overriding "priorities".

I'd have made the effort in this one and I have never excercised that right in all my life. (not bragging about that fact)

Edited by J.T.F.Robertson

Under 45% will be an awful result for the Nats. It will be generational as Salmond said.

They had won according to you even if humped 10 minutes ago. Turned the Proclaimers off, and stopped the Hibs chat?

I don't agree with him but salmond was an excellent political leader for the yes vote

Without such leadership that plays to the audience - very well - the vote wouldn't be anywhere near as close as it was or might be

I doubt the independence movement will get such an effective leader again any time soon

I think you may find they already believe they have one ready to step in.......one who in all the polls is more highly thought of at present than Salmond.

He is a fine advocate but does split opinion amongst many non SNP voters.

I think you may find they already believe they have one ready to step in.......one who in all the polls is more highly thought of at present than Salmond.

He is a fine advocate but does split opinion amongst many non SNP voters.

Not what is needed then, no?

Another factor is the quality of the register - a certain percentage of the register in big cities is always out of date, so it's much harder to get a very high percentage turnout.

Another factor is the quality of the register - a certain percentage of the register in big cities is always out of date, so it's much harder to get a very high percentage turnout.

It shouldn't be if the law is applied correctly.

Information that is more than two years old without a refresh via Canvass or other info should result in removal from the Register. There was a lot of flak for Glasgow for doing exactly that in March this year.

When we get to see full statistical data, it might be seen that the surge in late registration is simply those who lapsed rejoining.

do we have any evidence that young people have vored yes? ulyseses?

I suppose it boils down to what you determine as young... but 25 to 34 years of age heavily pro indepedence in the last polls for example..

Men favoured independence by 53 to 47, while women were opposed by 42 to 58. People aged 25 to 34 were the most passionate supporters of independence, dividing 73 to 27 for Yes. Those aged over-55 were split two-to-one in favour of No.

"The people have failed us. It is time to elect a new people."

Sheridan has been having a meltdown too.

'Power to the People (so long as the people agree with me)!'

Information that is more than two years old without a refresh via Canvass or other info should result in removal from the Register. There was a lot of flak for Glasgow for doing exactly that in March this year.

When we get to see full statistical data, it might be seen that the surge in late registration is simply those who lapsed rejoining.

But in big urban areas where people shift addresses frequently, the register can get out of date much more quickly than two years.

We do have approx 97% registered for the vote in this country so not too shabby.

Edited by CJGJ