The Rangers soap opera goes on and on.

Sergio Garcia

Tynecastlesmychurch

So Real Madrids champions league win doesn't count, as The Rangers weren't in it according to Kings logic.

May as well remove Leicesters EPL win from the record books as The Rangers weren't in it.

So hibs are still yet to win the championship??? Awww poor wee guys.

Arsenal settled with HMRC very early on (around 2005?).  HMRC's investigation into Rangers started in 2004, but Rangers (Murray Group) played silly buggers and denied the existence of the side letters in 2005 and were generally obstructive since then, hence HMRC went after them as they did.

In the 2016 budget there were a number of initiatives designed to increase the tax take from EBT schemes and ensure that various loopholes were closed.

The HMRC advice document can be found here https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/tackling-disguised-remuneration-update/tackling-disguised-remuneration-update and here https://www.gov.uk/guidance/disguised-remuneration-schemes-claiming-to-avoid-the-new-loan-charge-spotlight-36

The relevant bits read as follows:

What to do if you?re using one of these schemes

Users of these schemes can pay back the outstanding loan in full by 5 April 2019 or settle with HMRC to avoid accruing interest.

If you?re already speaking to someone at HMRC about your use of a disguised remuneration scheme, you should contact them.

Operative date

Changes to prevent the future use of disguised remuneration schemes, such as loan transfers, the close companies? gateway and the release, or write-off, of a disguised remuneration loan, will have effect from 6 April 2017.

The loan charge will have effect from Royal Assent to Finance Bill 2017, and apply where a disguised remuneration loan, or part of it, is outstanding on 5 April 2019.

Tackling the existing use of disguised remuneration schemes

The loan charge will apply to the outstanding balance of disguised remuneration loans on 5 April 2019 that were made after 5 April 1999. The amount of the loan outstanding is, broadly, the principal of the loan less any repayments. From 17 March 2016, only payments in money made by the relevant person are allowable as repayments. Any money repayment connected with a tax avoidance arrangement, excluding the arrangement under which the loan was made, will be disregarded. The loan charge will also apply to loan transfers, referred to in the legislation as quasi-loans.

Impact on individuals, households and families

This measure is expected to affect up to 40,000 individuals who have entered into disguised remuneration avoidance schemes. Some of these individuals will be unable to repay the loans, agree a settlement with HMRC before 5 April 2019, or pay the loan charge arising on 5 April 2019. The government anticipates that some of these individuals will become insolvent as a result.

If HMRC lose does that mean Arsenal (and others) would get their money back - or is each company's scheme different and dealt with on an individual basis?

Arsenal settled with HMRC very early on (around 2005?).  HMRC's investigation into Rangers started in 2004, but Rangers (Murray Group) played silly buggers and denied the existence of the side letters in 2005 and were generally obstructive since then, hence HMRC went after them as they did.

In the 2016 budget there were a number of initiatives designed to increase the tax take from EBT schemes and ensure that various loopholes were closed.

The HMRC advice document can be found here https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/tackling-disguised-remuneration-update/tackling-disguised-remuneration-update and here https://www.gov.uk/guidance/disguised-remuneration-schemes-claiming-to-avoid-the-new-loan-charge-spotlight-36

The relevant bits read as follows:

What to do if you?re using one of these schemes

Users of these schemes can pay back the outstanding loan in full by 5 April 2019 or settle with HMRC to avoid accruing interest.

If you?re already speaking to someone at HMRC about your use of a disguised remuneration scheme, you should contact them.

Operative date

Changes to prevent the future use of disguised remuneration schemes, such as loan transfers, the close companies? gateway and the release, or write-off, of a disguised remuneration loan, will have effect from 6 April 2017.

The loan charge will have effect from Royal Assent to Finance Bill 2017, and apply where a disguised remuneration loan, or part of it, is outstanding on 5 April 2019.

Tackling the existing use of disguised remuneration schemes

The loan charge will apply to the outstanding balance of disguised remuneration loans on 5 April 2019 that were made after 5 April 1999. The amount of the loan outstanding is, broadly, the principal of the loan less any repayments. From 17 March 2016, only payments in money made by the relevant person are allowable as repayments. Any money repayment connected with a tax avoidance arrangement, excluding the arrangement under which the loan was made, will be disregarded. The loan charge will also apply to loan transfers, referred to in the legislation as quasi-loans.

Impact on individuals, households and families

This measure is expected to affect up to 40,000 individuals who have entered into disguised remuneration avoidance schemes. Some of these individuals will be unable to repay the loans, agree a settlement with HMRC before 5 April 2019, or pay the loan charge arising on 5 April 2019. The government anticipates that some of these individuals will become insolvent as a result.

For me, FF, it is not the repayment of the EBT loans that is the issue but that Murray used them to gain an unfair advantage over other teams in the SPL/Europe.  I doubt that will ever be addressed.

So all the rangers cup wins against anyone other than Celtic don't count using that skewed logic.What about their cup winners cup?.The man's a class A,grade1,top notch buffoon!!.

So all the rangers cup wins against anyone other than Celtic don't count using that skewed logic.What about their cup winners cup?.The man's a class A,grade1,top notch buffoon!!.

Footballfirst

For me, FF, it is not the repayment of the EBT loans that is the issue but that Murray used them to gain an unfair advantage over other teams in the SPL/Europe.  I doubt that will ever be addressed.

I do want to see as much of the tax paid as possible.  I look at it in general society terms. We have a tax system that should provide services for the good of all. A lot of already high earners and their advisors see loopholes in that tax and allowances system, which they seek to exploit to reduce their tax liability and enhance their net earnings. Schemes, such as the Murray Group EBT are the result. You would expect that a top footballer who earns ?10m a year would pay approximately ?4m-?4.5m in tax via the PAYE system. However. I suspect that very few will actually pay that amount. Every ?1 of taxable income "avoided" by legitimate means currently earns them an extra 45p in net pay.  Your ordinary Joe public tends not to have the means or the wherewithal to benefit from such schemes.

I agree with you re Rangers use of the scheme though.  I doubt if the SFA (or any clubs) has the appetite to review the LNS commission findings, but that's what it would take

Edited by Footballfirst

Just announced UEFA issues Sevco a disciplinery proceedings for the orcs chucking objects onto pitch in their game last Wednesday. Pleasing

Hagar the Horrible

Andy Murray was warming up at Wimbledon wearing a t-Shirt with Bangers and Smash on the front, for a brief moment I took a double take because I though it said Rangers and MASH, now that would have been a good Mike Ashley pisstake!

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/tennis/823227/Wimbledon-2017-odds-Andy-Murray-Rafael-Nadal-Roger-Federer-Novak-Djokovic-latest

Edited by Hagar the Horrible

kingdannyb

Final BigTaxCase decision on Wednesday.

48 hours til the mayhem starts, I hope ...

Just announced UEFA issues Sevco a disciplinery proceedings for the orcs chucking objects onto pitch in their game last Wednesday. Pleasing

To be fair to them it was apparently scrunched up pieces of paper. You could have said the same of Tynie when we used to have the anti Pieman paper plane challenge back in the day. 

And this will be the only time I ever defend Rangers, I feel a bit grubby now. 

Prince Buaben

To be fair to them it was apparently scrunched up pieces of paper. You could have said the same of Tynie when we used to have the anti Pieman paper plane challenge back in the day. 

I suppose their reputation proceeds them

alwaysthereinspirit

The need to pander to that mob is nauseating. Not talking about Stephen Naismith, either.

Exactly. why is that quote even a story?

That's my feelings exactly.

Stephen Muddie

Pretty funny that Sports Direct are currently the ad sponsor on this thread.

For me it's a homosexual dating site called Gaydar :unsure: Edited by Stephen Muddie

There are certainly rumours going around that some of the players that Caixinha inherited are far from happy, and that there is a bit if a schism in the camp between the old guard and the new recruits.

Whether there is any truth in this remains to be seen, but Rangers have previous when it comes to a foreign manager coming in with ideas that don't sit well with the senior players.  Monsieur Le Guen can testify to that.

If you read the post before this on his blog, he has an interesting take on the situation with Puma, which does stack up with the fact that they are obviously re-using former players' training kit as evidenced in a recent photo posted on this thread.

Bazzas right boot

For me it's a homosexual dating site called Gaydar :unsure:

I've got a milf dating site, over 50's.

Independence

They used this tactic at Manchester!!!!!! You couldn't make this up !!!!

?500k, sell Djoum, get McKay signed.

Then give him Djoum's old kit with his initials replaced by McKay's

Popcorn on order.

you will need to re-order popcorn after tonights result. Then if the result of the court goes against them it could be a completely awful week for them

The mayhem started 15 minutes ago.

Footballfirst

As Richard Wilson might say "I don't believe it."

...a bit disco

I assume Brown Bear will be on shortly.

Along with his cohort bryce1690 one would presume.

jambovambo

you will need to re-order popcorn after tonights result. Then if the result of the court goes against them it could be a completely awful week for them

Ten kilos arriving at my local drop off place first thing the morn.

Could sell it on for more now maybe.

...a bit disco

Need to add Dave Kings 20p share offer (or not!) to that list.

AllyjamboDerbyshire

As Richard Wilson might say "I don't believe it."

Strangely enough, I had a feeling things might go wrong for them, if not in this round, then the next, the way they seemed to have thrown everything on the throw of a dice marked 'Europe' was just crying out to fail. I was surprised, though, at just how awful they were (I only saw the second half) tonight. They had no shape and no idea of what was expected of them, and the Progres side didn't look any better than anyone expected them to be, though full credit to them as TRFC continue to struggle against posties and plumbers! Ah, the good old days of McCoist and Green...

...a bit disco

What impact could this have on the current rangers?

Don't know.

It's funny though, right?

What impact could this have on the current rangers?

None really.  It would just settle beyond doubt that the oldco cheated by using unlawful tax avoidance schemes which gave them an unfair financial advantage.  It should really open up the whole question of title stripping again, but our football authorities have zero appetite to go there.  So unless pressed by the other clubs, it's likely to remain swept under the carpet.

It could have an impact on former players and officials of the oldco who were beneficiaries of the tax dodge, as ultimately HMRC can pursue them for unpaid taxes.  So might see a few bankruptcies.

I wonder how fat Jabba is going to try and spin this in the media?  Pretty hard to find any positives.

Will it be recourse to Scottish football is so shite and Rangers humiliation is just symptomatic of a wider malaise, in an attempt to deflect from this particular result?  Can't see the orcs buying that tbh.  It's Pedro out as far as the majority on Rangers Media are concerned.

Toxteth O'Grady

Don't know.

It's funny though, right?

Not a lot unless us fans kick up enough fuss for the blazers to strip the titles won during the cheating years

Jambo-Jimbo

Not a lot unless us fans kick up enough fuss for the blazers to strip the titles won during the cheating years

Cheats can not be allowed to cheat and get away with it, no matter who they are or what stink or 'social unrest' it may cause.

A cheat is a cheat is a cheat is a cheat and every fan from every club outwith of Rangers have been cheated, lied to, conned out of their hard earned money and treated with utter contempt and disdain not only by Rangers but also by the very body which is supposed to uphold the laws of the game in Scotland.

If this judgement goes against Rangers oldco and it's shown that they did indeed cheat, then the fans of every club in Scotland should unite and demand all the tainted titles & cups be stripped from Rangers.

• Maple Leaf locked this topic