The Rangers soap opera goes on and on.

Sergio Garcia

No. The case has been about whether the remuneration was taxable or not.

No. The case was about whether the EBT payments were remuneration or not.  If not, the payments are not taxable.  If the payments were deemed to be remuneration, they become taxable.  The CoS deemed the payments to be remuneration, therefore taxable.

FTFY

There are many questions still to be answered re the takeover etc (and at last legal action is underway to bring those to light) but this is one matter that will not be changed.

They were registered correctly and the EBT matter does not change that. (of course this is my view but at the moment also the facts of the matter)

Still the other view does create more column inches and posts for some to keep the issue alive........but I'm afraid that's all it will ever be in my opinion, all noise and no substance.

Diadora Van Basten

There are many questions still to be answered re the takeover etc (and at last legal action is underway to bring those to light) but this is one matter that will not be changed.

They were registered correctly and the EBT matter does not change that. (of course this is my view but at the moment also the facts of the matter)

Still the other view does create more column inches and posts for some to keep the issue alive........but I'm afraid that's all it will ever be in my opinion, all noise and no substance.

So you believe that the illegal payments to players and hidden side letters between Rangers and players were registered correctly with the SFA.

You are wrong. The current fact that the ebts are taxable means they were not correctly registered deeming the registrations wrong. Despite lns.

Charlie-Brown

I can lend you the bus fares......(or gift them to you in a shredded side letter).....you clearly accept Bryson and Ogilvie warped version of reality and for that reason can go [Mod Edit] yourself. :)

Edited by JKBMod 9

Malinga the Swinga

I can lend you the bus fares......(or gift them to you in a shredded side letter).....you clearly accept Bryson and Ogilvie warped version of reality and for that reason can go [Mod Edit] yourself. :)

Well said Mr Brown! Certain posters on here, not many but a few, seem to have some sort of affection for both the old club and the new club that played/plays at Ibrox. They, and their friend Triggersbroom, are keen to draw a line in the sand and get back to the good old days where we had two clubs dominating everything, regardless of the fact that one of them, let's say Rangers, were gaining a sporting advantage over the rest of all by not registering all the appropriate documents correctly. Everyone knows this was the case, except a few who,swear by an alternate reality that Murry, King, Doncaster et all have done everything by the book.

These lickspittles make be sick.

Francis Albert

No. The case was about whether the EBT payments were remuneration or not.  If not, the payments are not taxable.  If the payments were deemed to be remuneration, they become taxable.  The CoS deemed the payments to be remuneration, therefore taxable.

No the question is whether the payments were remuneration under the SFA registration rules. They were money paid (or if you want to stretch a point "leant") to players as a part of their contracts to play for Rangers. Taxable or not, the SFA rules said they should have been disclosed at the time of registration. They weren't. The registrations were therefore invalid. The HMRC case is irrelevant.

It is a tribute to Rangers, the Scottish media, and the Scottish football authorities powers of obfuscation and diversion that this should still be a matter of debate.

Edited by Francis Albert

Charlie-Brown

There are some on here and at Hampden and in the Sports depts of our national media that would rather have knitting needles plunged into their own eyes than ever see an obviously guilty Rangers punished and correctly stripped of the honours won whilst they were deliberately breaking the rules.......

Edited by Charlie-Brown

As I said some on here are just looking for anything for a little bit of 'revenge'.

Who really cares other than a few on football club messageboards who are simply shouting loudest to get a bit of attention when in the real world the vast majority just shrug their shoulders and move on.

Still I suppose it gives a few something to do and stops them hitting the streets hence keeping the general public safe from harm

alwaysthereinspirit

As I said some on here are just looking for anything for a little bit of 'revenge'.

Who really cares other than a few on football club messageboards who are simply shouting loudest to get a bit of attention when in the real world the vast majority just shrug their shoulders and move on.

Still I suppose it gives a few something to do and stops them hitting the streets hence keeping the general public safe from harm

The vast majority just shrug their shoulders and move on? Vast majority of what? Not real Scottish club football fans.

The definition of glib and shameless...

Charlie-Brown

Simple questions

1. Do you believe Rangers should be stripped of titles they won whilst deliberately misleading the football authorities, fellow member clubs and the British tax payers? (If not why not)

2. Dont you agree that Campbell Ogilvie, Andrew Dickson, John McCleland and Martin Bain should be given life bans from Scottish football for their personal part in deliberately and wilfully deceiving the SFA and SPL and their fellow member clubs especially when they were office bearers for these organisations and covered up Rangers rulebreaking of the very rules these individuals were appointed to uphold. (If you dont agree why not?)

Edited by Charlie-Brown

Charlie-Brown

In the crazy dystopia of Scottish football Rangers Andrew Dickson has been given the SFA role & responsibility for football ethics .... you honestly couldnt make it up #sickjoke

I P Knightley

Whatever the merits of these points are, you don't address your earlier, straw-clutching claim that Rangers registered their players correctly.

As things stand with the courts, the conclusion, most definitely, is that the players were NOT registered correctly.

The SFA rules, quoted on this thread often enough, say that all agreed remuneration must be detailed with the registration.

The courts have found that payments to Rangers players under EBTs were part of their agreed remuneration.

Before you get on your high horse about the attitude of other posters and the implication that they're a menace to society, perhaps you ought to demonstrate an ability to grasp a few simple facts.

Just imagine if this had been Celtic?

I think Trigger's and his fellow Rangers fans and sympathisers should really consider the level of hate, bigotry, bile and indeed what they think should have happened would be like?

Football fans are entitled to (blindly) stick up for wrong doings of their club and be hypocritical. I'm sure we would be the same. Although I doubt we would go crying wolf and accuse everyone of being bigoted against us. Indeed do these idiots not get the irony or are the just your normal bully, the biggest squealers / cry babies of them all.

Forget what has happened under Whyte, Green, the Glib one, Murray's Rangers were one of the most bent institutes in the history of the world of sport.

But for some bizarre reason,aided and abetted by our football authorities, everything has been done to protect him/them.

Lying to HMRC for years, shredding documents, continuing to be obstructive after being found out and deliberately lying to the football authorities.

It's as if in the eyes of most Rangers fans, our football authorities and press, none of this ever happened.

It's actually worse than anything Whyte did. And he was second only to match fixing.

The fact that no-one from Murray's era per Charlie's post above has been chucked out of football forever is a disgrace.

IMO let them keep their titles but get folk chucked out of football - and Rangers licence revoked for an equivalent of every year that Murray's Rangers cheated Scottish football.

Doesn't even need to be in the rules. There is a precedent with their transfer registration ban, the SFA can ignore it rules when it comes to Rangers. And FPO. And sadly, player registration too.

Edited by DETTY29

How on earth can you see yourself as so far above the rest of the human race AND think you know the mind of the vast majority?

I put it to you sir, that YOU are the one seeking attention in this thread.

the vast majority just shrug their shoulders and move on

And that, right there, folks is why this needs to be sorted one way or another. It's one thing 'shrugging your shoulders and moving on' over a dodgy referees' decision, it's quite another when it involves a decade of regulatory deviousness which not only turns out to be illegal, but also resulted in pretty much every other team almost bankrupting themselves to compete against a team, who ironically, bankrupted themselves.

CJGJ - genuine question...do you think Rangers are guilty of any sort of misconduct. I just want yes/no.

And that, right there, folks is why this needs to be sorted one way or another. It's one thing 'shrugging your shoulders and moving on' over a dodgy referees' decision, it's quite another when it involves a decade of regulatory deviousness which not only turns out to be illegal, but also resulted in pretty much every other team almost bankrupting themselves to compete against a team, who ironically, bankrupted themselves.

CJGJ - genuine question...do you think Rangers are guilty of any sort of misconduct. I just want yes/no.

Going by his views on the registration of players, he is either very good at playing devil's advocate, or his avatar is rather apt. Edited by Paolo

Without going all conspiracy theorist, but a 'nuclear' option is that all clubs have had irregularly registered players in recent times. So just suck it and accept the carve up.

Wasn't Gary Oliver the 154th loan player returned to his parent club and allowed to play despite it being against the rules?

The SFA registration department soes seem a bit rogue.

Without going all conspiracy theorist, but a 'nuclear' option is that all clubs have had irregularly registered players in recent times. So just suck it and accept the carve up.

Wasn't Gary Oliver the 154th loan player returned to his parent club and allowed to play despite it being against the rules?

What rule did we break with Oliver? Is it the rule Hibs claimed we broke, incorrectly?

As for the other cases, I cannot comment, but the ones I am aware of, were not deliberate, and we're genuine errors. The clubs, though, were punished in accordance with the rules.

i wish jj was my dad

Awful post.

If we move on, we accept that Scottish football is bent,  I'm not prepared to accept that and want Regan, Doncaster, Ogilvie and everybody else who is happy to cover it up emptied.  You can keep your titles, though.  With or without the asterix.

Seymour M Hersh

You seem quite happy to accept that Scottish football has been, is currently and will be in the future corrupt. Thankfully others are not quite as keen.  Maybe you should take up cycling or athletics as sports to support.

You seem quite happy to accept that Scottish football has been, is currently and will be in the future corrupt. Thankfully others are not quite as keen. Maybe you should take up cycling or athletics as sports to support.

Or just pretend to support Liverpool when things get a bit hairy up here.

john brownlee

Awful post.

If we move on, we accept that Scottish football is bent, I'm not prepared to accept that and want Regan, Doncaster, Ogilvie and everybody else who is happy to cover it up emptied. You can keep your titles, though. With or without the asterix.

I have long before Regan, Doncaster, Ogilvie and the rest were even born. Scottish football suits corrupt to the core

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What rule did we break with Oliver? Is it the rule Hibs claimed we broke, incorrectly?

As for the other cases, I cannot comment, but the ones I am aware of, were not deliberate, and we're genuine errors. The clubs, though, were punished in accordance with the rules.

When Hibs fans complained about Oliver being allowed to play for both Stenhousenuir and us in the same transfer windiw, on the face of it, it did appear against the rules.

However Bryson told them it was an acceptable rule breach as he accepted the registration, of which there was 153 previous instances. Including Callum Booth between Hibs and Brechin(?)

We didn't formally break any rules because Bryson allowed us to based on previous precedents.

Edited by DETTY29

As much as I disagree with many things CJGJ says on this thread, I think he's correct about most people not caring about the Rangers situation nowadays.

I've not heard it mentioned at all in the pub before any game this season. It's not really been discussed at all in my circle of friends (a mix of Rangers and Celtic supporters).

Personally, I don't care that much either. I enjoy reading this thread mainly for FF's posts and it's certainly entertaining reading but I don't think there's much appetite in the real world for more punishment to Rangers or if anyone really cares that much.

Of course I may be completely wrong and the majority of Scottish football fans are desperate for titles to be stripped etc. I can't recall a recent conversation about the Rangers situation in the real world, face to face with an actual person.

As much as I disagree with many things CJGJ says on this thread, I think he's correct about most people not caring about the Rangers situation nowadays.

I've not heard it mentioned at all in the pub before any game this season. It's not really been discussed at all in my circle of friends (a mix of Rangers and Celtic supporters).

Personally, I don't care that much either. I enjoy reading this thread mainly for FF's posts and it's certainly entertaining reading but I don't think there's much appetite in the real world for more punishment to Rangers or if anyone really cares that much.

Of course I may be completely wrong and the majority of Scottish football fans are desperate for titles to be stripped etc. I can't recall a recent conversation about the Rangers situation in the real world, face to face with an actual person.

Perhaps it isn't about punishment or title stripping, rather the perception that justice has not been done.

This lot will be back in the Premier League next season and will benefit from the same grace and favour they seem to have already benefited from courtesy of those who run our game.

In other words, it's not really about Rangers anymore.  The target now should be the footballing authorities who allowed this to happen, who did nothing about it when it did happen and what they did do seems to have compounded matters in the eyes of many supporters.  The collusion between the authorities and Rangers seems to be quite apparent.  Everything was done at all costs to help them survive and survive in a manner that benefited them, but in the skewed view of the authorities this ultimately means what is good for Rangers is good for Scottish football.

An opportunity to cleanse our game of the apparatchiks in all areas of the administration and runing of our game, but the OF blinkers won't allow it.

You should send this in to the cretins who run our game oh wait this is a sensible statement don't bother

Thought they had been punished already for this , but still yo pay the fine

Sent from my HTC_0PCV2 using Tapatalk

Jambof3tornado

If Rangers bent titles are not stripped from them what is the point of going to a scottish football match ever again??

If Rangers bent titles are not stripped from them what is the point of going to a scottish football match ever again??

It's moved on from Oldco, although I agree these titles should be retrospectively voided.

And if this happens then the spotlight must fall on the administrators of the game who allowed it to happen.  Scottish Football effectively needs a Year Zero.

It's not about whether the 'vast majority' are interested in retribution or not. The 'vast majority' you talk of probably greatly admire Lance Armstrong because of his charity fundraising. The people who run his sport, however, rightly took a dim view of his cheating and stripped him of his titles, unlike our football authorities who seem to think cheating is okay (as far as Sevco are concerned)

Diadora Van Basten

You seem quite happy to accept that Scottish football has been, is currently and will be in the future corrupt. Thankfully others are not quite as keen. Maybe you should take up cycling or athletics as sports to support.

I think this is the reality of the situation.

As a Hearts fan it saddens me that the only opportunity we have of winning the league is that we are so good that we can win while playing in Glasgow with John Brown refereeing.

Ann Budge said last year how she was amazed how insular and self centred clubs were at meetings she goes to. Never about the wider game, just themselves.

And Rangers have confirmed they are already discussing with the SFA and SPFL as to how to be represented on all the committees again.

Are we incapable of learning from the mistakes from the past.

Abd worse; accepting of them too.

The Mighty Thor

It's moved on from Oldco, although I agree these titles should be retrospectively voided.

And if this happens then the spotlight must fall on the administrators of the game who allowed it to happen.  Scottish Football effectively needs a Year Zero.

Agreed. the nuclear option should be the one where the whole of the governing body is removed en masse and we start again with a new governing body and league structure with voting rights that are open and fair and never again allow the duopoly which has paralysed our game to reform.

Those that populate the offices of hampden are tarnished and need to be removed.

Oh dear,another defeat for Sevco.

http://news.stv.tv/west-central/1334...of-new-shares/

Rangers have failed to secure shareholder backing to allow them to issue new shares to outside investors in order to raise cash for the company.

A vote held at their recent AGM saw directors seek permission to "allot equity securities" without having to offer them exclusively to shareholders. The move required the support of 75% of their investors.

After a poll, the board failed by 1.2% to secure the necessary support.

In total, 73.8% voted in favour, with 26.2% saying no.

"The votes for resolution 10 were considerably higher than the directors had anticipated and almost enough to see the vote carried as a special resolution," a statement from Rangers said.

"The directors will consider carefully shareholders views on this vote, consult (where practicable) with those who did not vote or opposed the resolution and identify the company's next steps after that process is complete."

MASH Holdings Limited, who hold 8.92% of the shareholding in Rangers International Football Club plc, had also warned that they would seek an interim interdict to prevent new shares being issued had the vote gone in the board's favour.

"The company has undertaken that, in the event resolution 10 is passed at the AGM, it will not make any allotment of shares in terms of the proposed resolution 10 without first giving 21 days written notice to MASH," they said prior to Friday's meeting.

"The effect of this undertaking is that if the company gave such notice of its intention to MASH, MASH would be able to apply to court before any such allotment was made to seek an interdict preventing such allotment."

Rangers did successfully receive backing to be able to issue shares in the company to existing shareholders up to a defined limit.

Directors Dave King, John Bennett, Paul Murray, John Gilligan and Graeme Park were all successfully voted back on to the board.

Suppose that's a wee blow for the Rangers board

still 3 points tonight and all will be well (in the media)

Just as well that King bloke and his mates have off the radar money available for any funding needed.

Maroon tinted glasses 2

Oh dear,another defeat for Sevco.

http://news.stv.tv/west-central/1334...of-new-shares/

Rangers have failed to secure shareholder backing to allow them to issue new shares to outside investors in order to raise cash for the company.

A vote held at their recent AGM saw directors seek permission to "allot equity securities" without having to offer them exclusively to shareholders. The move required the support of 75% of their investors.

After a poll, the board failed by 1.2% to secure the necessary support.

In total, 73.8% voted in favour, with 26.2% saying no.

"The votes for resolution 10 were considerably higher than the directors had anticipated and almost enough to see the vote carried as a special resolution," a statement from Rangers said.

"The directors will consider carefully shareholders views on this vote, consult (where practicable) with those who did not vote or opposed the resolution and identify the company's next steps after that process is complete."

MASH Holdings Limited, who hold 8.92% of the shareholding in Rangers International Football Club plc, had also warned that they would seek an interim interdict to prevent new shares being issued had the vote gone in the board's favour.

"The company has undertaken that, in the event resolution 10 is passed at the AGM, it will not make any allotment of shares in terms of the proposed resolution 10 without first giving 21 days written notice to MASH," they said prior to Friday's meeting.

"The effect of this undertaking is that if the company gave such notice of its intention to MASH, MASH would be able to apply to court before any such allotment was made to seek an interdict preventing such allotment."

Rangers did successfully receive backing to be able to issue shares in the company to existing shareholders up to a defined limit.

Directors Dave King, John Bennett, Paul Murray, John Gilligan and Graeme Park were all successfully voted back on to the board.

So does this not affect the ?5m loan to repay SD as i was under the impression that the loan would be converted to shares at a later date rather than paid back but if they cant issue new shares? 

However i may have the complete wrong end of the stick.

So does this not affect the ?5m loan to repay SD as i was under the impression that the loan would be converted to shares at a later date rather than paid back but if they cant issue new shares?

However i may have the complete wrong end of the stick.

Not really, if it really is a charity loan, the date of share allocation won't matter to those lending the money

Awful post.

If we move on, we accept that Scottish football is bent,  I'm not prepared to accept that and want Regan, Doncaster, Ogilvie and everybody else who is happy to cover it up emptied.  You can keep your titles, though.  With or without the asterix.

What have you done to fight this terrible crime inflicted upon you (and many others on this thread) ?

Nothing other than post on a fans messageboard which simply proves my point .

90% of fans do not care one jot about title stripping etc........only those 10% who shout loudest care about the topic in any great detail and what upsets them even more is that very point being made just does not matter in the real world of football

No one chats about it in the pubs pre or post match, no one talks about it at half time and this irritates them as they are sure the whole world of Scottish football should be with them in their quest for justice.

Good luck to them in their 'Don Quixote' quest for the truth but in reality it's just a minor footnote in Scottish football history...even stripping of titles would count for nothing to most people and it would be met with a mere shrug of the shoulders to the vast majority of the footballing public.

What have you done to fight this terrible crime inflicted upon you (and many others on this thread) ?

Nothing other than post on a fans messageboard which simply proves my point .

90% of fans do not care one jot about title stripping etc........only those 10% who shout loudest care about the topic in any great detail and what upsets them even more is that very point being made just does not matter in the real world of football

No one chats about it in the pubs pre or post match, no one talks about it at half time and this irritates them as they are sure the whole world of Scottish football should be with them in their quest for justice.

Good luck to them in their 'Don Quixote' quest for the truth but in reality it's just a minor footnote in Scottish football history...even stripping of titles would count for nothing to most people and it would be met with a mere shrug of the shoulders to the vast majority of the footballing public.

If "they" are Don Quixote", you, sir, are the Black Knight :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmInkxbvlCs

Private Womble

It's taken me a while to catch up to where we are here, so my apologies.

I don't want to sound facetious, but were Rangers really run worse financially than we were under Vlad? We were in the main, quite lucky that we "avoided" tax by putting players through Kaunas rather than onto an EBT scheme in my view. What if someone or something rules in favour retrospectively on that? Do we have to give 2006 and 2012 back?

Football is a dirty business, a little like financial services also is and well...all of the Mary Shelley-inspired nature of modern capitalism. Nothing in broader society suggests football should live in a bubble of "absolute" fairness. Look at the way the big F1 manufacturers use their clout to effect custom teams. Everything is a reflection on modern society - so why do people hold Rangers up to the "paragon of virtue" standards that ourselves as a football club or broader society can't satisfy either?

Rangers had to start from scratch with a new club in the bottom division. Surely that's enough to satisfy the Hearts fans lust for revenge? Especially after the sh1t our mercurial leader put us through with his dodgy dealings.

Anyway, just some general musings to throw into the fire. I know for some of you guys it's more of a hobby now, and at times it's interesting but not for me, i'm afraid.

The fanaticism of Rangers from some is getting in the way of the real story of the authorities failure to govern the game. Rangers have had their just deserts as much as football club can have one. Perhaps it's time time shift the spotlight onto the governing authorities of the game? Or are some enjoying their own misplaced righteousness over Rangers a little too much?

Edited by Private Womble

• Maple Leaf locked this topic