The Rangers soap opera goes on and on.

Sergio Garcia

Zombies are celebrating like they just signed Mourinio lol

Lets hope he fails big time lol

Gigolo-Aunt

You hope, as one of our most sympathetic Hun followers. 

I wish him nothing but pain.

Good luck to him with the glib & shameless FFP liar.

Game on.

You are not having a very good day on Kickback as the deleted thread has proven - maybe best to stop lashing out at posters.

Its a good appointment as I have said and he must have been given some assurances regarding ???? for bringing in players.   That said, with the way Rangers have went from one crisis to another in the recent past, would not be totally surprised if he is not in charge come the end of next season.  I think the next month will show what is in store for Rangers next term.

Got a link to that?

Afraid not. Was about two weeks ago after he came into the frame for the job. Sportsound job when they were talking to him about his philosophy.

So what was the time line?

Zombies need cash,

McLeod bought by Brentford,

Brentford manager signs for zombies.

Where in between those facts did Brentford decide that Warburton was no longer required? A very fishy back scratching scenario.

Gigolo-Aunt

So what was the time line?

Zombies need cash,

McLeod bought by Brentford,

Brentford manager signs for zombies.

Where in between those facts did Brentford decide that Warburton was no longer required? A very fishy back scratching scenario.

From what I remember a decision on him leaving Brentford was made quite some time ago.

From what I remember a decision on him leaving Brentford was made quite some time ago.

True

What makes you think he's a good appointment?

At one time in the season I think Brentford were second, they eventually only just scraped into the play offs in the last game, then got emptied fairly effortlessly.

Genuinely don't understand the hullabaloo around warburton and I am not just saying that because of today's news.

I said it every time this season after I had been bored shitless having had to watch Brentford because my father in law wanted to go to a game.

Edited by Jammy T

Gigolo-Aunt

True

What makes you think he's a good appointment?

At one time in the season I think Brentford were second, they eventually only just scraped into the play offs in the last game, then got emptied fairly effortlessly.

Genuinely don't understand the hullabaloo around warburton and I am not just saying that because of today's news.

I said it every time this season after I had been bored shitless having had to watch Brentford because my father in law wanted to go to a game.

Cant recall Brentford even being that far up the league in that division before - he must have been doing something right.    Have read quite a few positive articles on him this season as well.

You seem to know a bit about Brentford from where you live - what was their wage budget like compared to the rest of the division?

Cant recall Brentford even being that far up the league in that division before - he must have been doing something right. Have read quite a few positive articles on him this season as well.

You seem to know a bit about Brentford from where you live - what was their wage budget like compared to the rest of the division?

Definitely other teams had bigger budget than them, but they are increasing investment and moving to a custom built new stadium within the next 2 years so as I said he did have them playing above their budget but the way people speak about him you'd think he was the second coming.

Brentford obviously did well enough but their play was nothing spectacular and they were in a position at one point to push for automatic promotion and then basically didn't out many wins on the trot together towards the end of the season and then did nothing in the play off game.

So warburton is a obviously good enough manager but not great.

Look at Alex Neil and what he did, or the Bournemouth lad, for example to see the difference in class between him and them.

Edited by Jammy T

Gigolo-Aunt

Definitely other teams had bigger budget than them, but they are increasing investment and moving to a custom built new stadium within the next 2 years so as I said he did have them playing above their budget but the way people speak about him you'd think he was the second coming.

Brentford obviously did well enough but their play was nothing spectacular and they were in a position at one point to push for automatic promotion and then basically didn't out many wins on the trot together towards the end of the season and then did nothing in the play off game.

So warburton is a obviously good enough manager but not great.

Look at Alex Neil and what he did, or the Bournemouth lad, for example to see the difference in class between him and them.

Alex Neil done an incredible job but its maybe a bit unfair to compare the two as Norwich  have quite a bit of financial muscle behind them.

Anyway, cheers for the info.  As it always does in football, time will tell.

Alex Neil done an incredible job but its maybe a bit unfair to compare the two as Norwich have quite a bit of financial muscle behind them.

Anyway, cheers for the info. As it always does in football, time will tell.

Definitely

Also he came from the director side at Brentford so it was his club - so it was very comfortable for him. And there was a complete lack of pressure on him with the crowds less than 12k or so.

Takes something special to deal with the Rangers/celtic management gig.

He left I think mostly because he didn't want to work the way the owners wanted to work and they didn't think his was the best way to improve Brentford. so no stranger to difficult boards. Only that if he disagrees he doesn't hang around.

So time will tell as you say.

Good chance they'll get a few english based players in the squad though which will be interesting.

About the time Brentford were signing MacLeod... 

:conspiracy:        or maybe not....

Impossible to say if this is a good appointment. Certainly an interesting one. Big challenges ahead for an untried manager. Guessing they liked the idea of him being independently wealthy after his career in the City. Wonder if they arevpaying him in share options lol...

He may do a good job. Only time will tell. Seems like a decent enough bloke on the telly and radio.

If it helps keep the Muppets in the lower league for another year at least then fine by me as I hate the vermin scum with a vengeance.

Three year contracts for W & Weir. One year in the Championship........and 2 years gardening leave!!!

Congrats to Davie Weir on returning to his spiritual home just months after persuading Brentford to help Sevco out a hole by paying ?1m for McLeod. It's all about playing the long game.

Fully expect to see Weir being unveiled with blazer, cardigan and brown brogues in 3, 2, 1 - ach who are we kidding - 6 months time.

I assume the good ship Sevco will be signing English championship players, tempting them North for ?20k a week. Hope it feckin sinks soon as.

I P Knightley

Having David Weir as assistant will help with the Scottish game. Getting him in was a good peace of work.

The lad's passed up on a gold-plated opportunity to stick the "Piece" related pun in the back of the net. You have to say, that's shocking spelling, Brian.

willie wallace

Not sure Warburton's a good appointment or not, but heard a BBC interview with and he was full of management waffle, wittering on about KPIs and the like. Should be interesting one way or another.

Also heard that on Sportsound .Kept referring to the job as a project.

If Warburton failed to get rangers promoted next year I would be amazed. McCoist and McDowall were exceptional in the role, gifting us another year of no rangers in the top flight, which at the start of last season no one predicted. Couldn't happen again....

Edited by Riccarton3

If Warburton failed to get rangers promoted next year I would be amazed. McCoist and McDowall were exceptional in the role, gifting us another year of no rangers in the top flight, which at the start of last season no one predicted. Couldn't happen again....

Was there not some stat that showed McCoist having a better record McCall in the end!

Angus Young

Aren't Brentford run by bookmakers ?. At the end of the day sevco have hired a guy deemed not good enough by Brentford so they let him go it seems..

Considering McCalls experience & contacts I'm surprised he was passed over for a relatively inexperienced guy like Warburton tbh. Be interesting seeing how he does up here in the goldfish bowl though.

I Agree McCall would have done the job he was working with McCoists duds and did a pretty good job he had the guile to out wit stubbs mind you even Peter Houston managed that when it came to the crunch now the glib and shameless one will have to throw money at this to attract half decent players to a lower league does he have the money to do this ?

Maroonblood22

Lewis McLeod rumoured to be on Warburton and Weir's target list... couldn't make it up!

Lewis McLeod rumoured to be on Warburton and Weir's target list... couldn't make it up!

Hopefully signs for ?5 million :D

Good appointment from Rangers.

If i was Hibs, i'd be preparing for another 2nd place (at best) finish and crack at the playoffs.

Stuart Lyon

According to the Times today Warburton and Weir are going to "make an instant impact" at Ibrox! New signing targets already identified. Weir is understood to have been watching signing targets for several weeks so that they could be pursued as soon as possible.

That implies that Warburton and Weir knew they were going to be appointed weeks ago!

According to the Times today Warburton and Weir are going to "make an instant impact" at Ibrox! New signing targets already identified. Weir is understood to have been watching signing targets for several weeks so that they could be pursued as soon as possible.

That implies that Warburton and Weir knew they were going to be appointed weeks ago!

It doesn't really. Not everything is a conspiracy.

It says that the possibility was known to them weeks ago and they made appropriate preparations. Like anyone in any business situation would.

Edited by 2NaFish

AllyjamboDerbyshire

It says that the possibility was known to them weeks ago and they made appropriate preparations. Like anyone in any business situation would.

In all likelihood, a certainty if it wasn't the Times, it's 'information' from Level5 PR that's been printed, so no point in making a judgement one way or the other. I'd imagine every half-decent, lower league, manager keeps tabs on what players are available, even when looking for a new club. Whatever the true financial position of TRFC, the kind of players Warburton would have in mind for the level of club he would be moving to are the kind of players that would fit the requirements for Ibrox. I'd suspect that if he's as good as the PR would have us believe, then he could win the Championship with the players already at his disposal. Still, that thought wouldn't help sell STs, so the PR has to include the existence of a 'wish list', and hence an unmentioned 'war chest'.

I'd suspect that if he's as good as the PR would have us believe, then he could win the Championship with the players already at his disposal. Still, that thought wouldn't help sell STs, so the PR has to include the existence of a 'wish list', and hence an unmentioned 'war chest'.

According to their website, rangers have 14 first team players - http://www.rangers.co.uk/teams/first-team - including 2 or 3 laddies with a handful of games each. Rangers need atleast half a dozen signings pretty soon.

Again, not everything is a conspiracy. Sure, talk of signings will impress their fans, as it always does, but in this case it's absolutely vital to their ability to put a team on the park

But you're absolutely right that warburton and weir would be extremely unproffessional if they didn't have a list of players in mind who would be capable of playing at the level which they were likely to end up managing at, so it's no surprise that weir is able to say he's had players in mind for a few weeks.

I P Knightley

It doesn't.

W and W knew months ago that they'd be after employment a a club that wasn't Brentford. Whatever club that would be, they'd have been daft not to think of a few players to keep an eye on as recruitment targets for a range of possible clubs. If I were in the business of appointing a management team at a football club, I wouldn't appoint any who couldn't answer the question, "what do you plan to do to fill the gaps in the first team squad which have been created by the departure of 12 of our finest huddies, deadbeats and drongoes?"

Edited by I P Knightley

I'd imagine Rangers and Brentford are scouting players in the same market / at the same level. So for Weir to say he has players in mind i reckon these would have been for Brentford initially but would also suit Rangers.

the general

like we did from January last year

Does Warburton really know what he's let himself in for?  Can't go out for a quiet meal with the family because of the bile that one side of the OF need to pour over the other side of the OF.   Should really have waited for a Derby / Forest / Reading type appointment.  He wouldn't have had to wait long.

AllyjamboDerbyshire

According to their website, rangers have 14 first team players - http://www.rangers.co.uk/teams/first-team - including 2 or 3 laddies with a handful of games each. Rangers need atleast half a dozen signings pretty soon.

Again, not everything is a conspiracy. Sure, talk of signings will impress their fans, as it always does, but in this case it's absolutely vital to their ability to put a team on the park

But you're absolutely right that warburton and weir would be extremely unproffessional if they didn't have a list of players in mind who would be capable of playing at the level which they were likely to end up managing at, so it's no surprise that weir is able to say he's had players in mind for a few weeks.

'Again, not everything is a conspiracy.' And I was agreeing with you. It's just newspaper/PR mince in publications happy to fill column inches with anything that helps move STs at Ibrox. Of course he will have to sign any number of players to have any real chance of promotion, but not if you accept the PR as a true reflection of his ability. The way they are bumming him up you would think he'd made Brentford unbeatable, and on a shoestring budget, too. Maybe he has huge potential as a manager, but I doubt the SMSM know this while the whole of English football remains ignorant of his abilities.

I wouldn't appoint any who couldn't answer the question, "what do you plan to do to fill the gaps in the first team squad which have been created by the departure of 12 of our finest huddies, deadbeats and drongoes?"

From this we can ascertain that you didn't give Ally McCoist the rangers gig all those years ago.

like we did from January last year

Quite.

Only hibs fans and the most extreme gary locke apologists see that as some sort of machiavellian scheme. In reality, both are examples of people being professional.

'Again, not everything is a conspiracy.' And I was agreeing with you. It's just newspaper/PR mince in publications happy to fill column inches with anything that helps move STs at Ibrox. 

If there is a concerted effort by the media to aid rangers in the selling of season tickets whilst also filling column inches, and it's based on fluff stories then it's a conspiracy. They are conspiring to sell papers/season tickets based on no real story. 

You presented a conspiracy, but there isn't one. Rangers need players and they will sign some. There exist others conspiracies i'm sure, but this isn't one.

Of course he will have to sign any number of players to have any real chance of promotion, but not if you accept the PR as a true reflection of his ability. The way they are bumming him up you would think he'd made Brentford unbeatable, and on a shoestring budget, too. Maybe he has huge potential as a manager, but I doubt the SMSM know this while the whole of English football remains ignorant of his abilities.

I don't take a paper, so haven't seen anyone claim him as the sort of man who could win the championship with just a dozen footballers. Do you have a link to an article that says he's capable of something similar?

Edited by 2NaFish

The Mighty Thor

Warburton's total managerial experience is 78 games in the Championship before being told his services were no longer required. D. Weir was sacked at Sheffield Utd after just 1 win in circa 12 games in charge.

McCall must be gutted to lose out to people with this level of managerial experience tbh.

We'll soon see if Kings warchest brings in the kind of players Warburton wants. [emoji6]

Time will tell if the guy can cut it in the Scottish Championship.

Now the warchest scenario is a very interesting one. ?12-13m says the G&SL and i'm quite sure that figure has tempted this young Mourinho to Ibrox. We'll see what the G&SL actually delivers in terms of cash.

Footballfirst

On Rangers Media, they are talking about signing Stuart Dallas from Brentford and Adam McGurk from Burton Albion.

I P Knightley

From this we can ascertain that you didn't give Ally McCoist the rangers gig all those years ago.

His proposed arse-cheek based training techniques may well have made me overlook the dearth of insight to the transfer market.

AllyjamboDerbyshire

If there is a concerted effort by the media to aid rangers in the selling of season tickets whilst also filling column inches, and it's based on fluff stories then it's a conspiracy. They are conspiring to sell papers/season tickets based on no real story. 

You presented a conspiracy, but there isn't one. Rangers need players and they will sign some. There exist others conspiracies i'm sure, but this isn't one.

I don't take a paper, so haven't seen anyone claim him as the sort of man who could win the championship with just a dozen footballers. Do you have a link to an article that says he's capable of something similar?

For goodness sake, are you always this awkward? I wrote a post in support of you saying that the report in the Times didn't indicate a conspiracy, now you are claiming I said there were no conspiracies, then making out there was one.

The press are all singing from the same hymn sheet over TRFC, clearly taking everything from the Ibrox PR without question just as STs go on sale. That is not a 'conspiracy' it's just lazy journalism that helps sell season tickets.

What's more, I didn't say that the press were saying Warburton could win the Champioship with the players currently there, just that from the way they bum him up, if he was that good, he should be able to gain promotion with the current squad. A touch of irony and/or sarcasm, if you like.

I'll remember to only write posts, in future, that spell out exactly what I meam without assuming you understand irony and sarcasm. On second thoughts, I'll continue to write them as I see fit, for to do otherwise would be to assume every other reader and poster can't understand irony and sarcasm either.

I don't take a paper

I always understood it that the only paper one could "take" was the Telegraph. 

One "takes the Telegraph".     (I definitely don't)

Others simply buy, get or read other papers.

I'm gonna call it now - Despite the doubts over W&W and subject to avoiding major financial hurdles over the next 6months they will win the championship. I fully expect a team that will get every decision needed. I reckon Hibs will be more consistent then lose the big games. 

I expect that this time they'll actually get a squad (of 50/50 seasoned pros and youths) who can get them through the league rather than the bunch of wage thieves we've laughed at over the last 3 seasons.

That said - i'd be delighted if i was wrong. We'll soon see as they'll need to get their squad together sharpish.

Rangers may actually do well out of W&W.

Assuming they have transfer targets from their time at Brentford, they may happen to bring a new signing policy to TRFC whereby they buy/sing decent players from a variety of levels who want to prove themselves, rather than the previous MO of "buy guys who have played in the SPL cos then we'll beat everyone".

We'll wait and see though.

OmiyaHearts

I'm gonna call it now - Despite the doubts over W&W and subject to avoiding major financial hurdles over the next 6months they will win the championship. I fully expect a team that will get every decision needed. I reckon Hibs will be more consistent then lose the big games. 

I expect that this time they'll actually get a squad (of 50/50 seasoned pros and youths) who can get them through the league rather than the bunch of wage thieves we've laughed at over the last 3 seasons.

That said - i'd be delighted if i was wrong. We'll soon see as they'll need to get their squad together sharpish.

What do you mean with 'get every decision needed'?

For goodness sake, are you always this awkward? I wrote a post in support of you saying that the report in the Times didn't indicate a conspiracy, now you are claiming I said there were no conspiracies, then making out there was one.

No, i didn't. You agreed that there was no conspiracy re: warburton being appointed and then presented another one regarding season tickets and newspapers

In fact, your next sentence is the actual conspiracy theory.

The press are all singing from the same hymn sheet over TRFC, clearly taking everything from the Ibrox PR without question just as STs go on sale. That is not a 'conspiracy' it's just lazy journalism that helps sell season tickets.

Various groups conspiring to a nefarious end is a conspiracy. The clue is in the word conspire.

What's more, I didn't say that the press were saying Warburton could win the Champioship with the players currently there, just that from the way they bum him up, if he was that good, he should be able to gain promotion with the current squad

I know you didnt. That's why i asked for something similar. "Do you have a link to an article that says he's capable of something similar?"

I noted that there was dramatic licence, i just wondered if there was any basis in reality for your writings. Apparently not. Clearly no one would claim he can promote them on 14 players, but you were serious in your claims they were making out he was some sort of miracle worker, so they'll have said something similar, right? Seems a pretty reasonable request to ask for some evidence, no?

Edited by 2NaFish

Got the feeling, maybe the Gers are beginning to get their act together. I know Warburton Kneads the dough (i am milking this pun) but if he is given an open chequebook there are alot of decent players he may be able to sign...........still want the Hibbees to beat them to the league

What do you mean with 'get every decision needed'?

If a game is finely balanced Rangers will get the crucial decisions in their favour. 

• Maple Leaf locked this topic