Official Golf geeks gibber thread

Victorian

hmfc_liam06

Tickets booked:

Greenburn, Torwoodlee and Cardrona.

Anyone else going or got freebies?

Got Roxburghe, Kelso and Dukes via the magazine. Going to get tickets for the show and get 3 rounds over the west, not somewhere I've ever played.

• Replies 14.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hmfc_liam06

• Samuel Camazzola

• Irufushi

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Got a break in my 8 iron shaft around the grip.

It's a Titleist 712 MB with stiff shaft.

Any rough ideas how much a new shaft will be? Never broken an iron before and I broke this one from a temper not from play! :(

Got a break in my 8 iron shaft around the grip.

It's a Titleist 712 MB with stiff shaft.

Any rough ideas how much a new shaft will be? Never broken an iron before and I broke this one from a temper not from play! :(

Depends on the brand of shaft. They aren't particularly hard to replace so whatever pro you use shouldn't charge too much on top of the shaft cost. You'll need a new grip aswell however

Depends on the brand of shaft. They aren't particularly hard to replace so whatever pro you use shouldn't charge too much on top of the shaft cost. You'll need a new grip aswell however

I forgot to bring the club home with me so can't remember the brand of the shaft, but a google it looks to be around ?15-20 for most new ones. Thought it'd be a lot more. New grip ?10, plus the pros time so hopefully under ?40.

Prestonfield today was so boggy (the course's drainage is honking) and although my fairway mat is a good one it still sits the ball up an inch or so. My play was up and down, and when I caught another one fat so my 8 iron felt the force of my back  :laugh4:

I really need to grip a few inches down the shaft to compensate for the mat. I really hate playing off those things, can't wait for spring!

Edited by kila

I'd wait a while before heading to torwoodlee buddy, my mate lives nearby and said there was rivers running down the original 9 holes the other day.

100% give it a wee while, it's pretty sodden down here just now.

Edited by paleredfox

hmfc_liam06

Anyone recommend the best distance App to download?

If it's a free app you're after then Hole 19 is pretty decent. I keep track of all my rounds on there. 

hmfc_liam06

100% give it a wee while, it's pretty sodden down here just now.

Saturday just killed everywhere. I took a wee trip to Dunkeld yesterday and you needed a canoe to get around! Amazed it was open to be honest.

deesidejambo

If it's a free app you're after then Hole 19 is pretty decent. I keep track of all my rounds on there.

Cheers

Anybody seen this boy 'Twenty2Scratch' ?  Won a competition to play with Monty and represent the UK, been talking the talk plenty and loads of video of practice but his first round in Dubai (I think) proves you can hit all the balls you want but being on the course is a different ball game.  He's also trying to get from 20 to scratch (hence the name).

The boy will never get to scratch, IMO he'll need to commit 10,000 hours of committed practice, and even then will fall on his erse, just like The Dan Plan did.

hmfc_liam06

Anybody seen this boy 'Twenty2Scratch' ?  Won a competition to play with Monty and represent the UK, been talking the talk plenty and loads of video of practice but his first round in Dubai (I think) proves you can hit all the balls you want but being on the course is a different ball game.  He's also trying to get from 20 to scratch (hence the name).

The boy will never get to scratch, IMO he'll need to commit 10,000 hours of committed practice, and even then will fall on his erse, just like The Dan Plan did.

Funny enough I was just checking the leaderboard out there just now.

I'm more interested on how you get to take part in the competition. It's run by BMW, there are regional then national qualifiers before the finals in some exotic country.

And while I have golf on the brain :)

R&A rule changes.  For me the R&A should stipulate the degrees on clubs, for example a 1 iron loft should be set then all clubs manufacturers should run up 4 degrees on each iron.  Some lofts have changed as much a 9 degrees over the years, typically just to make buyers think that new technology makes you hit it further, you try 3 sets of iron out and you hit a TaylorMade PSi further than a Titleist Ap2 716 ... the TM 7 iron is 31.5 deg and the Titleist is 34 deg.  Only club you should be allowed to choose the loft for me is the driver, the rest of the lofts should be set across the board.

iron-lofts-over-time.jpg

hmfc_liam06

And while I have golf on the brain :)

R&A rule changes.  For me the R&A should stipulate the degrees on clubs, for example a 1 iron loft should be set then all clubs manufacturers should run up 4 degrees on each iron.  Some lofts have changed as much a 9 degrees over the years, typically just to make buyers think that new technology makes you hit it further, you try 3 sets of iron out and you hit a TaylorMade PSi further than a Titleist Ap2 716 ... the TM 7 iron is 31.5 deg and the Titleist is 34 deg.  Only club you should be allowed to choose the loft for me is the driver, the rest of the lofts should be set across the board.

Too many folk are drawn in and also obsessed with distance. Consistency and feel should be your first concern when it comes to choosing your clubs.

I think woods in general are fine for having varying distances are they're clearly advertised but you're right about irons.

Yeah things have changed massively when it comes to lofts. It?s became pointless asking your mate what he just hit, you?re as well as asking, what loft did you hit. :lol:. The number on the bottom of the iron is fast becoming irrelevant.

Some of these game improvement iron sets are about 1 degree away from being 2 clubs stronger than your traditional lofts. Pretty mental.

The good thing is, ?players? sets from most brands like Ap2?s, Mizuno MP range, Apex Pro?s etc have all remained traditional as far as I?m aware.

All that said, not sure i agree with the idea of bringing in rules to stop it. Not sure what harm is being done or what, if any, benefits are being made. Game improver irons massively help launch the ball high, which is why lofts are being jacked. The ball is coming off with less spin than you?d normally get from a traditionally lofted iron so its sometimes harder to stop when it hits the green. Moreover the fluctuation in spin rates is a real killer for consistency. Every now and then youll likely get an absolute knuckleball from these clubs and it?s a disaster.

Give me consistent spin rates and consistent distances any day of the week

Yeah things have changed massively when it comes to lofts. It?s became pointless asking your mate what he just hit, you?re as well as asking, what loft did you hit. :lol:. The number on the bottom of the iron is fast becoming irrelevant.

Some of these game improvement iron sets are about 1 degree away from being 2 clubs stronger than your traditional lofts. Pretty mental.

The good thing is, ?players? sets from most brands like Ap2?s, Mizuno MP range, Apex Pro?s etc have all remained traditional as far as I?m aware.

All that said, not sure i agree with the idea of bringing in rules to stop it. Not sure what harm is being done or what, if any, benefits are being made. Game improver irons massively help launch the ball high, which is why lofts are being jacked. The ball is coming off with less spin than you?d normally get from a traditionally lofted iron so its sometimes harder to stop when it hits the green. Moreover the fluctuation in spin rates is a real killer for consistency. Every now and then youll likely get an absolute knuckleball from these clubs and it?s a disaster.

Give me consistent spin rates and consistent distances any day of the week

I just think it would be good to be made to feel even more inadequate when Dustin J is hitting a green that's 322 with an iron!  Just now I'm like "oh aye but his irons are stronger than mine by a mile" if DJ, Day and Rory were hitting the same 7 iron loft as me (same with the local club champion) then it would be like setting an equipment standard.

Do we then force GW, SW and LW to all be the same loft......

Does iron lengths have to be the same? The lie angle too?

Things have definitely changed massively and definitely warrants discussion.

Edited by Sten Guns

Cyprus Jambo

Went to play Stirling as a work's outing on Monday only to get a call as we were on route to tell us NO TROLLEYS allowed. We got there, had our bacon rolls and left as most of us didn't have straps so couldn't carry our bags. Ended up playing Brucefields - was alright for ?10 but very marshy.

Anyone came accross a golf club not allowing trolleys before, first I've seen and don't know how that would damage the course?

I was having a chat about this the other day to my club pro mate that TaylorMade were the worst culprits for making stronger lofted irons. They bring out what seems like 2 new models per year. Is the technology in these clubs really advancing every 6 months? Or are they just nudging the loft down 1 degree every now and then to produce "the longest and most forgiving iron ever made"

At the end of the day, as long as everyone is aware what lofts they use, they can then space out their woods/rescues/wedges accordingly.

I was having a chat about this the other day to my club pro mate that TaylorMade were the worst culprits for making stronger lofted irons. They bring out what seems like 2 new models per year. Is the technology in these clubs really advancing every 6 months? Or are they just nudging the loft down 1 degree every now and then to produce "the longest and most forgiving iron ever made"

At the end of the day, as long as everyone is aware what lofts they use, they can then space out their woods/rescues/wedges accordingly.

Another idea would be to do away with 3-PW and just degree each club!

Is there an R&A guide to say what a 7 iron should be between? When's a 7 not a 7?!

Do we then force GW, SW and LW to all be the same loft......

Does iron lengths have to be the same? The lie angle too?

Things have definitely changed massively and definitely warrants discussion.

Wedges should all be lofts anyway.  The length and lie would be changeable due to the fitting process, I started this discussion thinking it would be good for all the top dogs to be hitting the same degree 7 iron etc - but actually it would be good for club golfers to know which club they hit further due to the technology and not being hood-winked with a 7 iron that's 3 degrees stronger without them knowing.

hmfc_liam06

Wedges should all be lofts anyway.  The length and lie would be changeable due to the fitting process, I started this discussion thinking it would be good for all the top dogs to be hitting the same degree 7 iron etc - but actually it would be good for club golfers to know which club they hit further due to the technology and not being hood-winked with a 7 iron that's 3 degrees stronger without them knowing.

Yeah I think some may be missing the point, or maybe I'm wrong but the issue is with manufacturers and salesmen effectively mis-selling.

Hearing Rory McIlroy talk about the Muirfield vote. One thing I can't stand is Rory's opinions.

He's trying to say the right thing and make out he's totally against any discrimination of women yet was up for playing golf with Donald Trump ... at least at Muirfield they don't 'grab them by the pu55y'

hmfc_liam06

I see he's now taken to trying to get money out of people for "marketing" purposes!

Quite what he needs to market I've no idea, does he think he's some kind of social media celebrity? Here's me thinking he's an everyday Joe documenting his attempt at getting to scratch. Con man.

Hearing Rory McIlroy talk about the Muirfield vote. One thing I can't stand is Rory's opinions.

He's trying to say the right thing and make out he's totally against any discrimination of women yet was up for playing golf with Donald Trump ... at least at Muirfield they don't 'grab them by the pu55y'

To be fair, I play golf with a lot of different people and it doesn't mean I agree with their views on everything.

Rory was simply playing golf. Nothing more, nothing less.

deesidejambo

I have no problem with men only and ladies only golf clubs.

But if men's clubs are forced to admit ladies then the same must work the other way round.

I have no problem with men only and ladies only golf clubs.

But if men's clubs are forced to admit ladies then the same must work the other way round.

They weren't forced......

deesidejambo

They weren't forced......

I'd say coerced then. Muirfield lost the Open so revoted and changed.

But my point remains.

Do golf clubs have these rules? If so I'm against them.

So sexism is fine, just not racism or ageism?

Edited by Ray Gin

Samuel Camazzola

Did anyone catch the alligator incidents at the Arnold Palmer Invitational this week? Quite amusing but I'd definitely be walking down the other side of the fairway on the holes that have water.

Cyprus Jambo

Best score ever yesterday - putter was really good and must have known I was looking for a new one next weekend at the golf show. Gross 75 - 4 over playing off 12. Disappointed too as bogey on 3 of the last 4. Pity it was just a bounce game, no cut before season begins :).

Best score ever yesterday - putter was really good and must have known I was looking for a new one next weekend at the golf show. Gross 75 - 4 over playing off 12. Disappointed too as bogey on 3 of the last 4. Pity it was just a bounce game, no cut before season begins :).

Great scoring, won't be 12 for long shooting scores like that!

Haven't played a round since October :( been to the range a couple of times. First open in 3 weeks, better get some rounds in!

hmfc_liam06

Season kicks off for most next weekend...what's folks aims for the year?

It was my first proper season last year and I went about it all wrong, open golf outweighed competitions at home and didn't feel I done myself any favours.

Moved away from Aberdour this year as the frequency of competition was pretty poor. Now at a club with 3 sometimes 4 competitions a week so no excuses.

Aiming to get to 18 this season. I'd be over the moon with 16 but won't put any pressure on myself to get to that.

I'd like to get my handicap down to 2, ambitious, but I got from 6 to 4 last season. Went out in under par several times last season and ended up with a few level par/ +1 rounds, don't think I shot above 74 in the second half of the summer.

New irons and wedges for this season too.

I'd like to get my handicap down to 2, ambitious, but I got from 6 to 4 last season. Went out in under par several times last season and ended up with a few level par/ +1 rounds, don't think I shot above 74 in the second half of the summer.

New irons and wedges for this season too.

Looking forward to seeing your progress!  I'm back on AP2 716's!  80 round the Torrance today and it was blowing a hoolie, again putting really well but nothing sinking.  Off 9.7 but the aim is to get down to 6.anything.  Driving much better than I ever have, pushing my knees a little wider and flattening my shoulders off a little (I was too hunched before).  2 x 3 putts today and a double bogey 6 (that wasn't one of the 3 putts).  Totally loving golf these days!

If I manage 5 rounds this year, I'll have exceeded expectations.

:(

Since the 27th December I've played Archerfield, Gullane 3, Old Course, Kittocks and 4 rounds on the Torrance ... hope to keep this up!

hmfc_liam06

Looking forward to seeing your progress! I'm back on AP2 716's! 80 round the Torrance today and it was blowing a hoolie, again putting really well but nothing sinking. Off 9.7 but the aim is to get down to 6.anything. Driving much better than I ever have, pushing my knees a little wider and flattening my shoulders off a little (I was too hunched before). 2 x 3 putts today and a double bogey 6 (that wasn't one of the 3 putts). Totally loving golf these days!

First winter I've kept playing and I've been playing fairly consistent golf. 3 in 4 rounds are low to mid 80 but then throw in a poor round of 90-92. I say poor round but the reality is it's a handicap round. Hoping the game has come on over the winter, proof will be in the pudding this year!

Just sold the 716 AP2's and got a set of Mizuno MP25's coming.

Promised myself no more purchases or bag changes this season. :lol:

Target is to get cut from 11 to 7.

wXSmisM.jpg

Edited by Sten Guns

wXSmisM.jpg

Why would you sell the AP2's??!!! (Although I done it and ended up getting another set 4 weeks later!). Cracking bats

wXSmisM.jpg

Stunning irons :thumbsup:.

Has anyone seen the Wilson staff irons to mark their anniversary!? Not sure if they're new out or not, seen them on a YouTube channel, beautiful clubs, but only a top player could use them, heads look tiny.

Has anyone seen the Wilson staff irons to mark their anniversary!? Not sure if they're new out or not, seen them on a YouTube channel, beautiful clubs, but only a top player could use them, heads look tiny.

They look unreal!

Review;

Why would you sell the AP2's??!!! (Although I done it and ended up getting another set 4 weeks later!). Cracking bats

Yeah theyre superb.

Had them a year now and just fancied a change. If it doesn't work out with the Mizuno's I might see what the 718's are like later this year. :lol:

hmfc_liam06

Never mind that, how's the weather in Tenerife just now? I think it's this week you're there...

Never mind that, how's the weather in Tenerife just now? I think it's this week you're there...

Don't mate :(, had a rough few weeks, girlfriend has been really ill, touring hospitals in Scotland has been our holiday, she's not allowed to fly for the foreseeable future either. Home now though, hopefully on the mend.

The weather in Glasgow was shite, if that's any help to you :lol:

hmfc_liam06

Don't mate :(, had a rough few weeks, girlfriend has been really ill, touring hospitals in Scotland has been our holiday, she's not allowed to fly for the foreseeable future either. Home now though, hopefully on the mend.

The weather in Glasgow was shite, if that's any help to you :lol:

Nightmare man, hope she's ok.

It looks like it's been raining all week if that's any consolation...better pick up next week!!

• Maple Leaf changed the title to Official Golf geeks gibber thread