Official Golf geeks gibber thread

Victorian

hmfc_liam06
3 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

I'd be ****ed since at the weekend I started hooking my drives about 80 yards left of where I was aiming. :facepalm:

Left ain't too bad, it's the OOB right on 4 or 5 of the holes that'll kill you.

Change of scenery for me this weekend, playing The Carrick.

• Replies 14.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hmfc_liam06

• Samuel Camazzola

• Irufushi

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Left ain't too bad, it's the OOB right on 4 or 5 of the holes that'll kill you.

Change of scenery for me this weekend, playing The Carrick.

Get your wellies at the ready for down there lol

Collapsing left side or losing height (however you describe it).     My 'diagnosis' and remedy would be along the lines of the swing perhaps being too full and could benefit from being made more compact.    Could well be a bit too full in the backswing.    May also be an indication of the legs not being flexed at the knees and a straight back.   Perhaps a bit too stiff legged and stooping into the address.    

But for me,     iron play should be as effortless as possible.    Compact swing.    Staying balanced.

hmfc_liam06
3 hours ago, bebeto said:

Get your wellies at the ready for down there lol

I've heard it can be really wet. Played it lately?

Saturday led me to be up 0.1 now 12 medals in a row! 

Manged to play the back 9 in 45 with 3 birdies! ... I had a 9 on the 15th with a 5 putt.....  yup.... in 6 holes I was 12 over par! .... Best 5 handicapper ever (o wait - 6 handicapper) 

On Sunday I played a tie and it was a tight affair and I won on the 20th with a really good 4 into the wind on a long, difficult hole... I had a couple of birdies again but my golf is so inconsistent.. Might have to quit my job and play every day for 2 weeks to get better! 

On 4/23/2018 at 20:51, hmfc_liam06 said:

I've heard it can be really wet. Played it lately?

No not lately but it's very rarely dry which is a shame as I like the layout

18 minutes ago, sinks said:

Toeing and skying everything off the tee....HELP

With the driver? Lift your leading shoulder up a bit and hit up on the ball

Edited by StSow

48 minutes ago, sinks said:

Toeing and skying everything off the tee....HELP

If it's coming off the toe you might simply be standing too far away from the ball. You might also be rocking back on to your heels slightly, or have swing path where your hands are coming in tighter to your body on your downswing. Like many faults in golf, it could be caused by any of several things really.

You might also need to lower your tee. For hybrids/irons the tee should barely be poking out of the ground.

Edited by Ray Gin

hmfc_liam06
31 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

If it's coming off the toe you might simply be standing too far away from the ball. You might also be rocking back on to your heels slightly, or have swing path where your hands are coming in tighter to your body on your downswing. Like many faults in golf, it could be caused by any of several things really.

You might also need to lower your tee. For hybrids/irons the tee should barely be poking out of the ground.

I shudder when I see some heights that folk have their tee set to for hybrids and irons! I actually rarely use a tee (woods aside), only if the tee box is in a bit of a mess.

I'm sure someone had a photo on here a while back of their mate teeing off with a hybrid, and the tee was about sticking about 5cm out of the ground. :wow:

1 hour ago, Ray Gin said:

Thanks for all the tips guys,been playing for 40 years and never happened before.

When using hybrid I just use a small piece of broken tee thats lying about.

Toed it yesterday,very nearly missed ball completely.

Ill try standing closer and work from there.

hmfc_liam06
45 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

I'm sure someone had a photo on here a while back of their mate teeing off with a hybrid, and the tee was about sticking about 5cm out of the ground. :wow:

Think I remember that, sure it was Sten?

I would swing right under it if I teed it that high.

I wish I had a pound for the number of times I've seen decent-good players play a totally destructive shot off a tee peg with a fairway wood or hybrid of some kind... rather than hitting a controlled or choked down driver for less distance or more accuracy.    It never fails to amaze me how regular it is to see someone tee it up at a long par 3 and select say a 5 wood or a hybrid and then proceed to fully sky it or hit a brutal snap hook,  etc.     You can see it coming.     Even more so if you have seen that the teed up shot is not a regular shot for them and therefore not greatly practiced.

I don't blame them for trying to hit the right club for a full shot for the distance but I do wonder sometimes why they don't play the percentages and choose a manufactured shot with the driver.    If you go over the back of the green it's par or bogey.     If you're O.B. or lost it's double or treble bogey.

If you're only playing the odd shot of this kind then you really need to watch the tee height and be aware of the high chance of a hook.    Off a tee and with a more lofted face = a chance of a hook.

Edited by Victorian

hmfc_liam06
13 hours ago, Victorian said:

I wish I had a pound for the number of times I've seen decent-good players play a totally destructive shot off a tee peg with a fairway wood or hybrid of some kind... rather than hitting a controlled or choked down driver for less distance or more accuracy.    It never fails to amaze me how regular it is to see someone tee it up at a long par 3 and select say a 5 wood or a hybrid and then proceed to fully sky it or hit a brutal snap hook,  etc.     You can see it coming.     Even more so if you have seen that the teed up shot is not a regular shot for them and therefore not greatly practiced.

I don't blame them for trying to hit the right club for a full shot for the distance but I do wonder sometimes why they don't play the percentages and choose a manufactured shot with the driver.    If you go over the back of the green it's par or bogey.     If you're O.B. or lost it's double or treble bogey.

If you're only playing the odd shot of this kind then you really need to watch the tee height and be aware of the high chance of a hook.    Off a tee and with a more lofted face = a chance of a hook.

My mate is famous for getting the driver out on 160-170 yard par 3's.

The other guys in the fourball just stand and look at each other with a bemused look, thinking wtf....then the ball trundles up to the green.

1 minute ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

The other guys in the fourball just stand and look at each other with a bemused look, thinking wtf....then the ball trundles up to the green.

Wtf :lol:

No danger I'd be more accurate trying to scuttle a driver than just hitting a 6 iron.

hmfc_liam06
7 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Wtf :lol:

No danger I'd be more accurate trying to scuttle a driver than just hitting a 6 iron.

Honestly it's a sight to behold :lol:

He's not the longest hitter in the world, 18 handicapper and everything is straight down the middle, on the green in 3 and 2 putt for bogey.

I'm a lot less accurate when I take something off a shot as well, I'd rather go with the 6i too.

1 hour ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Haha.  Maybe a bit extreme.   But it's quite easy to choke back a bit on full driver distance to the extent of about 30-40 yards.    Hitting the driver is the much more controllable shot.    Deeper,  straighter face.    With practice it can be shaped both ways.    Teeing it down a bit to hit a low fade,  etc.    

I've seen/heard players giving it the old running commentary about hitting their hybrid off the tee because they want to leave themselves a full wedge into the green.     All goes to buggery after the hybrid has come down with snow on it and they're hitting a 6 iron in from the fairway.

Handicap golfers of even a decent standard can't guarantee that kind of exactitude.     

First round in 6 months.    Competition.     Was expecting a disjointed effort and an NR but I managed to start well and get some kind of score going.    79-7=72.      42-37.      Could have been a few better but you never get em all.    Surprising few bum shots and some good irons.      The rhythm and timing is ingrained.    

I've had this before where the 1st game turns out decent but the next one is worse but I get a good feeling that I'll be ok.   

Edited by Victorian

Disser Pointon

Irons much improved in the medal on Sunday.............. consequently the driver was obviously crap!!!!

2 hours ago, Bleedsmaroon said:

Irons much improved in the medal on Sunday.............. consequently the driver was obviously crap!!!!

It's always a trade off for me. Smashing drives down the middle = fat irons shots all day long.

Sending absolutely wild drives in all directions = nice clean irons shots.

y-u-do-dis-1.jpg

Disser Pointon
3 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

It's always a trade off for me. Smashing drives down the middle = fat irons shots all day long.

Sending absolutely wild drives in all directions = nice clean irons shots.

y-u-do-dis-1.jpg

Totally!!! Once in a blue moon the rounds come where it all works together.

Been out practicing a fair bit at nights, open at Nairn Dunbar on Saturday, hoping for a good round as I’ll be nearing 3 if not. 

hmfc_liam06
1 hour ago, Barack said:

First full 18 today, in a long, long time.

We'll leave it there. Nice to be out...fresh air, good company, n' all that.

Scorecard plz

Victorian

Interesting point about separate aspects of the game either performing well together or at different times.     I think it can be even more detailed than just tee shots and fairway shots.    

For good scoring I think a number of things have to converge.     You can be hitting it pretty well through the bag but can still find it difficult to score if your irons aren't getting into the heart of the greens.     If you're continually 40 feet away you probably wont hole much and most times you'll end up pressurising your putting.    Even if you are spearing your irons in closer,    sometimes the putter goes stone cold.     

The best days are a confluence of driving,   irons,  pitching,  chipping,  sound bunker play,  holing a few,  holing out safely.     Sometimes you can get in a very comfortable zone where the driving,  good iron play and putting become easy and you churn out a succession of 3s and 4s.    But one things for sure,   it's very unlikely you'll ever have an unblemished medal score.    A score you look at and can't find something that could or should have been better.     Must be about the rarest thing in golf,    not even convinced it's possible.

Edited by Victorian

Disser Pointon

PGA Centenary today..............................hope my driving is improved from Sunday!!!!!

25 minutes ago, Barack said:

Ah, sorry old fruit. Mate was marking for us all.

91 on a par 72 was the final outcome.

7 fairways hit. No G.I.R.'s (Which doesn't help, and shows where I need to work on when get the chance.) 

Driver was decent though, and putting was what saved a higher score. 

Course being like a quagmire (Giggity.) in places, didn't help, and made for some fantastic pulled shots & no run.

Surprised at what I shot given the circumstances, in honesty. 

I hit 3 fairways off the tee on Sunday, if it makes you feel any better.

:facepalm:

hmfc_liam06
5 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

I hit 3 fairways off the tee on Sunday, if it makes you feel any better.

:facepalm:

I hit 62% of fairways at Loch Lomond on Sat as I battled to a 99 :lol: 

Went 3 off the tee on every par 3!

William H. Bonney

Anybody have experience of either bridge of allan or dunblane. Which one is the better course. My gut feeling says the latter. 

Played Nairn Dunbar open today in 20-30mph winds ! Was sunny though! Shot 76 and had two 3 putt bogeys in the last 4 holes. Absolutely crisped it , css was 76 when I left so here’s hoping I get cut .2 

the course was in incredible condition considering the winter we’ve had up here. The head greenkeeper has been selected to help with the Ryder cup and you can see why. 

hmfc_liam06

**** knows whats going on with me lately. Last 3 rounds has been wildly inconsistent.

From slicing one shot, hooking the next to topping then shanking. All over the shop. Not fun.

Victorian

Dispatch Trophy time once again a week on Saturday.    Avoided a horrific start time thank ****.     It starts at 7 in the morning.    

Edited by Victorian

Slight progress with the driving yesterday. Up from 3 to 5 fairways hit.

First outing of the year coming up this weekend at Dunkeld & Birnam. I hope the fairways are wide or I'm in trouble.

stuartmitchell

First medal of the year on Saturday. +9 (handicap of 10). Woeful from 100 yards in. Could've easily been a +3 round. Idiot.

Armageddon
On 5/8/2018 at 08:10, Victorian said:

Dispatch Trophy time once again a week on Saturday.    Avoided a horrific start time thank ****.     It starts at 7 in the morning.    

I keep hearing this competition name, what's the format???

hmfc_liam06

Couple of bounce rounds off the whites after a disaster of a medal on Saturday....and I'm back to playing pretty well. Round of +14 and +15 on Sun/Mon.

Why the **** can't I produce when there's a scorecard in the hand?? I don't feel any different when playing medals, I'm playing with the same people, rounds are fairly relaxed but it's just not happening in competition for me whatsoever.

Armageddon
22 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Couple of bounce rounds off the whites after a disaster of a medal on Saturday....and I'm back to playing pretty well. Round of +14 and +15 on Sun/Mon.

Why the **** can't I produce when there's a scorecard in the hand?? I don't feel any different when playing medals, I'm playing with the same people, rounds are fairly relaxed but it's just not happening in competition for me whatsoever.

Thinking about it far too much - my best round last year in a medal was when I played just to mark my mates card for him to qualify for the Club Championship knockout, he'd just come back from holiday and asked me to play at 4pm, it got to 3pm and I really couldn't be bothered, we played and I wasn;t up for it, mind totally elsewhere, before I know it i'm cut 1.2 and won the medal, any other time I'm thinking about things days in advance and I have a disaster!

hmfc_liam06
Just now, Armageddon said:

Thinking about it far too much - my best round last year in a medal was when I played just to mark my mates card for him to qualify for the Club Championship knockout, he'd just come back from holiday and asked me to play at 4pm, it got to 3pm and I really couldn't be bothered, we played and I wasn;t up for it, mind totally elsewhere, before I know it i'm cut 1.2 and won the medal, any other time I'm thinking about things days in advance and I have a disaster!

I think one of the things is that I know that the mark I'm off is pretty false. I'm regularly putting in +12 to +16 rounds, over the exact same course. I think there's an eagerness to get to that mark and that train of thought is creeping into the medals. A poor start and I'm instantly cursing the round and the heads gone.

Tough old game.

Victorian
32 minutes ago, Armageddon said:

I keep hearing this competition name, what's the format???

Teams of 4.  Double foursomes, combined matchplay score.    Originally for non course owning clubs but has now been opened up for all clubs.    

Armageddon

And in other news - I bought a rangefinder.  Groupon has one for £149 and the reviews on YouTube and elsewhere say it's excellent.

1 hour ago, Armageddon said:

And in other news - I bought a rangefinder.  Groupon has one for £149 and the reviews on YouTube and elsewhere say it's excellent.

Massive gamechanger for me, recommend them to anyone. 

hmfc_liam06
4 minutes ago, Irufushi said:

Massive gamechanger for me, recommend them to anyone. 

Game Golf has been a really good tool for me this year so far. Still building up a bank of rounds to get proper data but it's already helped in knowing my distances, shot selection has improved.

9 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Game Golf has been a really good tool for me this year so far. Still building up a bank of rounds to get proper data but it's already helped in knowing my distances, shot selection has improved.

I recommend the shotscope watch. Unbelievable amount of stats and info plus it works as a GPS device. No taging just swing and go

hmfc_liam06
9 hours ago, bebeto said:

I recommend the shotscope watch. Unbelievable amount of stats and info plus it works as a GPS device. No taging just swing and go

Trialled them both - I find the presentation of Shotscope to be severely lacking in comparison. Game Golf far more professional/slick in how the data is presented.

I already had a GPS watch so spending £100 on Game Golf over £250 on Shotscope also made more sense. I don't mind the tagging either, it's built into my pre-shot routine now.

Shotscope certainly has the advantage over putting by having the ability to mark the pin position but I just go and manually do that post-round anyway.

4 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Trialled them both - I find the presentation of Shotscope to be severely lacking in comparison. Game Golf far more professional/slick in how the data is presented.

I already had a GPS watch so spending £100 on Game Golf over £250 on Shotscope also made more sense. I don't mind the tagging either, it's built into my pre-shot routine now.

Shotscope certainly has the advantage over putting by having the ability to mark the pin position but I just go and manually do that post-round anyway.

They have recently released an update and the stats presentation is 1000% better

hmfc_liam06
2 hours ago, bebeto said:

They have recently released an update and the stats presentation is 1000% better

Yeah, I seen it. It's still lagging way behind IMO.