**The OFFICIAL Rugby World Cup Thread**

Ray Winstone

Here we go with the first semi-final, and the acid test of the Welsh credentials. If they're still standing at the end of this game, they're the real deal - but will they be?

All week, all the hype's been on Wales - and France have been able to bask in the role of underdogs. Usually, France being underdogs before a World Cup semi-final spells bad news for their opponents; and the talent in this French team cannot be overlooked.

Only five nations have ever reached the World Cup Final; Wales can make it six today, but I rather fear they won't. France to win a classic, IMO.

• Replies 943
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The half-French referee that is Alain Rolland, not for the first time, causes controversy in a match involving France. It was a yellow card given Warburton released Clerc upon realising that his feet were in the air. Had he not released him then a red would be justified as Clerc would certainly be in hospital right now.

Just watched the highlights having slept through the live game.

:seething: at that red card decision - there would be a red card in almost every match if they referee games in that manner.

Wales played well with 14 men.

I hope France get hammered in the final - they have played some horrible stuff in this tournament.

There's no reason to behave like that apart from to deliberately attempt to injure the French Player

Harsh but he can't have any complaints

After all the fuss about the O'Driscoll Umaga incident on the Lions tour to NZ referees aren't going to give anybody the benefit of the doubt on spear tackles

There's no reason to behave like that apart from to deliberately attempt to injure the French Player

Harsh but he can't have any complaints

After all the fuss about the O'Driscoll Umaga incident on the Lions tour to NZ referees aren't going to give anybody the benefit of the doubt on spear tackles

Way off the mark with that analysis.

The tackle on BoD was completely different - The NZ player was standing still and used BoD's own wait to take him down by lifting his legs off the ground.

What Warburton did was go in for a tackle at a fair pace and his weight and momentum carried through into the smaller French player and took him off his feet.

When you have 3 professional rugby players sitting in the studio absolutely disgusted with a decision you know that the ref has mucked up.

Case in point:

article-0-04A6C2930000044D-501_306x641.jpg

Versus...

samwarburton_2027686c.jpg

a9f3137839d44659809e06d56e192eb1.jpg

One is a pre-meditated attack on a player, the other is a tackle at pace with the tackler enjoying a weight advantage.

Case in point:

article-0-04A6C2930000044D-501_306x641.jpg

Versus...

samwarburton_2027686c.jpg

a9f3137839d44659809e06d56e192eb1.jpg

One is a pre-meditated attack on a player, the other is a tackle at pace with the tackler enjoying a weight advantage.

I agree,

As I said on the other thread comparisons between these 2 incidents are laughable.

Good match so far, you certainly notice the pace that NZ and Aus are comfortable playing at compared to the Northern Hemisphere sides. Wales are lucky they lost the semi they would get hammered by NZ

I agree,

As I said on the other thread comparisons between these 2 incidents are laughable.

What I was saying was that after the O'Driscoll affair referees will have been briefed to take the spear tackle very seriously indeed.

Nobody aside from Dalton has claimed that it was a legitimate tackle. Even the most one eyed Welsh pundits admit that it was worth a yellow. There were other ways to make that tackle which would make it harder for the french to recycle possession, by spinning him 180 you're actually putting the player between the ball and yourself. If he'd been able to avoid injury then Clerc would have had little difficulty setting up the next ruck.

It was a dirty, dangerous piece of foul play and it was particularly stupid risk to take pushing that boundary knowing how hot referees are on enforcing it. Paddy O'Brien the chief referees had publicly said that referees had taken their "foot of the throat" when it comes to this kind of cheating and issued instructions to punish such offenses with red cards

Given the knowledge that this was the interpretation of the rules that they were playing under Warburton was a bloody idiot

That was far, far too good from the All Blacks. Australia did everything they could, yet were scarcely in the game at all: New Zealand's ferocity at the breakdown was awesome. Undoubtedly, the Wallabies suffered the consequences of having to work so hard to get past South Africa - but the Blacks are on another level regardless, especially at home.

As for next week: the third place play-off might be worth watching for once: two attractive sides with nothing to lose who can play relaxed, open rugby. I fancy Wales to take the bronze medal their efforts have warranted. But the final ought, on paper, to be no contest at all - unless France actually decide to turn up for once. They'd better, or they'll get routed.

Hats off to New Zealand. The world's greatest rugby nation are back in the World Cup Final at last - and on the verge of ending a 24 year wait.

4 minutes to go, NZ a back down, Aus inside the 5m line, Aus needing 2 converted tries...and they pick and drive for 2 minutes?And don't score. down.gif

That was a fantastic display by NZ. Totally stifled the Aussies. And the physical side was immense, there seemed to be broken and damaged Australians everywhere. The forward battle next weekend is going to be fearsome.

jamboinglasgow

That was far, far too good from the All Blacks. Australia did everything they could, yet were scarcely in the game at all: New Zealand's ferocity at the breakdown was awesome. Undoubtedly, the Wallabies suffered the consequences of having to work so hard to get past South Africa - but the Blacks are on another level regardless, especially at home.

As for next week: the third place play-off might be worth watching for once: two attractive sides with nothing to lose who can play relaxed, open rugby. I fancy Wales to take the bronze medal their efforts have warranted. But the final ought, on paper, to be no contest at all - unless France actually decide to turn up for once. They'd better, or they'll get routed.

Hats off to New Zealand. The world's greatest rugby nation are back in the World Cup Final at last - and on the verge of ending a 24 year wait.

Cant be bothered seaching over the last 22 pages to see if this has already been put up (probably has) but even more apt now that to get Webb-Ellis they just need to beat the team who upset a very good New Zealand side last time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQS2RriUzVk&feature=related

You will be singing this to yourself all day.

Another convincing performance from the All Blacks, I trust that everyone is emptying their betting accounts as we speak to back them for the final tomorrow against a quite frankly horrendous French side.

New Zealand to win is a rather poor 1/9 but to win by 11-15 points is 9/2, fairly tempted by that particular gamble.

Yes to all of that.

Although a massive factor was how often Pocock was punished for offenses at the breakdown. He's clearly been a vitcim of his own success, with Joubert keeping a close eye on him all game. He was regularly pinged for offending; sometimes rightly, sometimes wrongly.

McCaw meanwhile, once again got away all game with offending at rucks and mauls.

willie wallace

They got hammered at the breakdown because the ref did not allow Pockock to get away murder as he did last week against SA.He is a great player but McCaw showed him who was the boss today.

Yes to all of that.

Although a massive factor was how often Pocock was punished for offenses at the breakdown. He's clearly been a vitcim of his own success, with Joubert keeping a close eye on him all game. He was regularly pinged for offending; sometimes rightly, sometimes wrongly.

McCaw meanwhile, once again got away all game with offending at rucks and mauls.

They got hammered at the breakdown because the ref did not allow Pockock to get away murder as he did last week against SA.He is a great player but McCaw showed him who was the boss today.

Great minds, you two! But yes: I think Joubert overreacted somewhat, because there'd rightly been a huge fuss in the press after what happened last weekend. For many years now, Australia have been allowed to get away with more than probably any other side - but the boot was on the other foot today.

The Wallabies will be back, though. If you're looking for a side to back for 2015, it's them, I'd suggest.

I disagree TBH.

With all the talk being of Pocock and the refree's performance in the Aus-SA game, Joubert was clearly looking out for Pocock at the breakdown. He got some spot on, and was very harsh at times.

Meanwhile, McCaw, and several other All Blacks regularly got away with murder today. Twice I saw an Australian tackle a Kiwi, and before they had gone to ground McCaw came in and tackled the Australia player! Totally illegal.

Also New Zealand were all over the ball so many times. Bridging the ball and supporting their weight on their hands is going off your feet, and they got away with it too often today, with McCaw being the main culprit.

He showed Pocock who was boss today, but as per usual he cheated his way to doing it.

I disagree TBH.

With all the talk being of Pocock and the refree's performance in the Aus-SA game, Joubert was clearly looking out for Pocock at the breakdown. He got some spot on, and was very harsh at times.

Meanwhile, McCaw, and several other All Blacks regularly got away with murder today. Twice I saw an Australian tackle a Kiwi, and before they had gone to ground McCaw came in and tackled the Australia player! Totally illegal.

Also New Zealand were all over the ball so many times. Bridging the ball and supporting their weight on their hands is going off your feet, and they got away with it too often today, with McCaw being the main culprit.

He showed Pocock who was boss today, but as per usual he cheated his way to doing it.

Show me any top flanker who hasn't spent his time being a bit elastic with the rules? They are all at it, with Scotland's own John Jefferies being one of the masters of it.

Show me any top flanker who hasn't spent his time being a bit elastic with the rules? They are all at it, with Scotland's own John Jefferies being one of the masters of it.

Oh undoubtedly. There's no denying that there is a grey area in the rules that the very best flankers exploit.

The problem is for McCaw the grey area seems to be much larger than for the rest. He gets away with it, and has been for years. Sometimes because he's very, very good at cheating and isn't caught. Other times seemingly because he's "All Black's captain Richie McCaw".

Of course that shouldn't take anything away from the fact that he's been the best openside in the world for a long time and does do a lot of incredible, and perfectly legal things at the breakdown. As the likes of Pocock, O'Brien, Dusatoir and Warburton keep improving though I think he's going to have to cheat more and more to keep his status so high. If the AB's win next week it might not be the worst thing if McCaw retires.

willie wallace

I disagree TBH.

Agree with you with regards to McCaw,he has got away with it for years although all players in that position get tarred with the same brush.Heinrich Brussow is the latest,any time these players win the ball there is some doubt cast on how they done it.Every game you watch seems to be reffed differently and between the breakdowns and the scrums it becomes so messy at times.

Still think Pocock got away with a bit last week but i wanted SA to win so maybe i was a bit biased.

The Old Tolbooth

Well here we go folks, this is the game that all the build up has been for, what seems like weeks upon weeks of getting up at silly hours to watch a game of rugby.

France v New Zealand

Only one winner for me and I reckon the men in black will finally be triumphant by a convincing scoreline of 32-12

The Old Tolbooth

I can't make up my mind who I want to win, the French are Northern hemisphere so really should be supporting them, but they don't deserve to be there in my book.

I usually support the underdog, I guess that's because I'm used to supporting Scotland :D

kingantti1874

Fair point John but Lot of Scottish ties in new zealand... Never bough a drink in Dunedin for example... And a fair bit of family... + let's face it best team to watch in union by a country mile...

First try.

NZ.

I can only watch the first half and then need to go to work. I'll then spend the rest of the day trying not to see the result, just like the Likely Lads.

The Old Tolbooth

Fair point John but Lot of Scottish ties in new zealand... Never bough a drink in Dunedin for example... And a fair bit of family... + let's face it best team to watch in union by a country mile...

Right, you've convinced me, New Zealand it is then! :D

Bloody norah, Woodcock scoring a try is akin to Robbie Neilson scoring a goal :lol:

kingantti1874

Right, you've convinced me, New Zealand it is then! :D

Bloody norah, Woodcock scoring a try is akin to Robbie Neilson scoring a goal :lol:

What's fantastically worked try it was - France actually doing well tho

kingantti1874

I'm assuming Dan Carter is injured.

Ripped groin in practice a few games back... Theyd be out of sight if he was playIng

Piri Weepu is an amazing player for NZ. Though you get the feeling he might be a right miserable sod. Like most great scrum halves.

Piri Weepu is an amazing player for NZ. Though you get the feeling he might be a right miserable sod. Like most great scrum halves.

that was some tackle. They said earlier in the tournament that he wasn't a fan's favourite, but obviously his performances have kind of changed that. It'll be funny though if his kicking, which has been so good until today, costs them. Sport is like that :D

kingantti1874

that was some tackle. They said earlier in the tournament that he wasn't a fan's favourite, but obviously his performances have kind of changed that. It'll be funny though if his kicking, which has been so good until today, costs them. Sport is like that :D

I can't believe they said that about peri weepu - u sure you picked that up correctly , hes a cult hero in NZ - keep calm peri's playing tops have been on sale for a long time...

:interesting:

Another cheating South African ref doing his best to ruin the World Cup Final though. :down:

I can't believe they said that about peri weepu - u sure you picked that up correctly , hes a cult hero in NZ - keep calm peri's playing tops have been on sale for a long time...

I think I did....it was kinda early in the day though so maybe I was half asleep! They did comment on how he was getting a standing ovation when being replaced, and the comment/tone of it was as if it was a complete turnaround in opinion of him though.

Am I alone in thinking this rwc has been a bit of a damp squib?

:no:

I think it has too. It's the "best RWC ever", apparently. :blink: Yet it's lacked classic matches or real high quality. France somehow pulling it off today would be extraordinary, though.

Archived