**The OFFICIAL Rugby World Cup Thread**

Ray Winstone

Right boys - Friday is the day of days!

RWC 2011 kicks off with The All Blacks taking on Tonga at 9.30am our time.

The groups are:

Pool A

Canada

France

Japan

New Zealand

Tonga

Pool B

Argentina

England

Georgia

Romania

Scotland

Pool C

Australia

Ireland

Italy

Russia

USA

Pool D

Fiji

Namibia

Samoa

South Africa

Wales

Top two from each group going through to the quarter final stage.

Home nations chances...

England have a decent squad but I am not sure MJ has a settled enough first 15 to make the final this time. Will look to top the group and that would probably mean a QF against France....and with the French having a good record in the WC it could be a very tight game.

Ireland have a tricky group Italy are no mugs and the USA can hardly be described as a 'minnow' anymore but they should be looking at at least a QF and an improvement on last time.

Wales are similar to Ireland, a dissapointing show last time round means they will want to make a good account of themselves and make the next round. Very tricky games against Fiji and Samoa could prove their downfall.

Scotland have never failed to make the QF at any WC but this time despite having one of the strongest squads available in recent tournaments could be looking at their first failure. We will have to beat either Argentina or England to ensure a place in the next round and despite 2 wins in the last 2 games against the Pumas Scotland will go into that game as the underdogs. I think our main problem is that we never over or under perform. We simply play to form and that means beating Georgia and Romania comfortably, and losing close games to England and Argentina. Hopefully Robinson can get the boys up for it and get the results we need!

Predictions:

QF1: Australia v Wales (WINNER C V RUNNER UP D)

QF2: England v France (WINNER B V RUNNER UP A)

QF3: South Africa v Ireland (WINNER D V RUNNER UP C)

QF4: New Zealand v Scotland(heart)/Argentina(head) (WINNER A V RUNNER UP B)

Semi 1: Austrailia v France

Semi 2: South Africa v New Zealand

Final: Australia v New Zealand

Winner: Home turf win for the All Blacks after a very tight final

Runner Up: Australia

Third Place: France

• Replies 943
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rugby's for the class ridden, no thanks :down:

Though i would like to see England win when push comes to shove :woot:

Rugby's for the class ridden, no thanks :down:

Though i would like to see England win when push comes to shove :woot:

Why post on a thread in which the title gives you a little clue what it is about?

Sounds like trolling to me.....:down:

New Zealand

Australia

South Africa

France

Scotland to reach last eight but to be done over by either New Zealand or France

TBH i never noticed the '' egg chaser '' bit, sorry :rolleyes: leave it at that bar >>>

I do enjoy the FP Rugby types singing the National Anthem when you know most are Tories (Tartan) :woot:

I P Knightley

New Zealand

Australia

South Africa

France

Scotland to reach last eight but to be done over by either New Zealand or France

Another Knightley prediction all set to go sour:

The Argies have had their day and will not recapture the success they had in 2007. Don't forget, not only did the Scots beat them twice, they beat them on home soil, at a venue which, if I recall correctly, they hadn't lost at in a long, long time.

The Calcutta Cup game should be all that counts in pool B. I think it's the last group game and a lot will depend on injuries picked up earlier in the tournament (& whether Moody can come back to bolster his side). If England lose one or two key men, their heads could well drop. They're struggling already to find a reliable 9. There's a very slim chance that Scotland will lose that one by less than 20.

Love it though I do, International rugby is as predictable as the tennis grand slams. The 8 in the quarter-finals are almost certainly going to be the (old) 5 nations plus the tri-nations. If England meet France, I'd have them winning to meet NZ and the Aussies winning the other semi against the Saffers.

Another Knightley prediction all set to go sour:

The Argies have had their day and will not recapture the success they had in 2007. Don't forget, not only did the Scots beat them twice, they beat them on home soil, at a venue which, if I recall correctly, they hadn't lost at in a long, long time.

The Calcutta Cup game should be all that counts in pool B. I think it's the last group game and a lot will depend on injuries picked up earlier in the tournament (& whether Moody can come back to bolster his side). If England lose one or two key men, their heads could well drop. They're struggling already to find a reliable 9. There's a very slim chance that Scotland will lose that one by less than 20.

Love it though I do, International rugby is as predictable as the tennis grand slams. The 8 in the quarter-finals are almost certainly going to be the (old) 5 nations plus the tri-nations. If England meet France, I'd have them winning to meet NZ and the Aussies winning the other semi against the Saffers.

I wouldn't be too surprised to see either Ireland or Wales (or both) head home after round one. They both have some dangerous underdogs in their groups.

Pool A

Canada

France

Japan

New Zealand

Tonga

Argentina

England

Georgia

Romania

Scotland

Pool C

Australia

Ireland

Italy

Russia

USA

Pool D

Fiji

Namibia

Samoa

South Africa

Wales

QF1: Australia v Fiji

QF2: England v France

QF3: South Africa v Ireland

QF4: New Zealand v Scotland

Semi 1: Australia v England

Semi 2: South Africa v New Zealand

Final: Australia 18 v 28 New Zealand

Geoff Kilpatrick

Ireland have been crap in the warm-ups but so were England last time and they reached the final!

Ireland to beat the Springboks in the quarters!

What time of day are these matches on live TV, please? (UK time.)

I have a dreadful feeling that in about three weeks I am going to be sacked for falling asleep at work.

:(

Sergio Garcia

Predictions:

QF4: New Zealand v Scotland (WINNER A V RUNNER UP )

Semi 2: Ireland v New Zealand (All Blacks to crumble under the pressure, being at home the pressure will be huge and they aint exactly renowned for dealing with the favourite tag)

Final: Australia v Ireland

Winner: Australia

Runner Up:Ireland

Third Place: New Zealand

But to be fair I dont really know much about the game

Rand Paul's Ray Bans

Incredibly hard to predict this year, but I reckon we'll do well. thumbsup.gif

If I had to make a call, I'd say the Aussies will take it.

Predictions:

Semi 2: Ireland v New Zealand (All Blacks to crumble under the pressure, being at home the pressure will be huge and they aint exactly renowned for dealing with the favourite tag)

Bold - Ireland will struggle with the aging legs of the three Os and have a very tough group.

Sergio Garcia

Bold - Ireland will struggle with the aging legs of the three Os and have a very tough group.

My reasoning is the fact that its pretty much a lot of the "Golden Generation"'s last chance and there isnt the same level of expectancy on them this time compared to before which allows them to go under the rader for a bit and after the group play the underdogs role with little pressure on them.

Sergio Garcia

I can see the All Blacks making an erse of it whistling.gif

I think they will crumble under the pressure at some point.

They will not win it.

The OP's come up with the safest set of 'predictions' I've ever seen in my life. He's basically just tipped the favourite for every match. Where's the fun in that, eh? :mellow:

Right, a few pointers before I go with mine. The first is that, believe it or not, the pre-tournament favourites have never won the Rugby World Cup; the second favourites always have. Yes, I know England were favourites in the UK in 2003; but globally, New Zealand were, by the tiniest of margins. If this event was being held anywhere else other than NZ, I'd expect this rule to hold - but no-one ever wins down there, and I can't see anyone stopping them on home soil.

The second is that, if you're not one of the top two sides going in, forget winning it. Only sides in the top two have that inbuilt expectation that they will win this: everyone else would be happy with getting to the final, and therefore become mentally sated.

But at the same time, the top two pre-tournament have never met in the final - and it won't happen this year either. There is always a surprise in one of the semis (go check the history books if you don't believe me) - and that'll happen again this year too.

So in sum, while there are only two possible winners of this event - New Zealand or Australia - those anticipating a trans-Tasman showpiece are mistaken. As for the prospects of various teams: France, who reach the final every 12 years by shocking a Southern Hemisphere giant in the semi, are overdue a good World Cup. England are too raw, too young, won't have the streetwise nous to win knock-out matches, and are basically where we were in 1999.

Ireland look to be going downhill at precisely the wrong time; Argentina probably aren't the force they were; but Scotland look good, and let it be known that I am very apprehensive about the England-Scotland pool game. There's no question in my mind that England could lose. That leaves two sides who I haven't the foggiest about: and they're in the same nightmarish group. Wales could prove the tournament's surprise package, or they could finish 4th in their pool: either are entirely possible. And the defending Champs could either be ruined by their lunatic coach - or play with the kind of steely, indomitable resolve we've come to expect from them in World Cups.

Because I've never rated Peter de Villiers, and have always rated Warren Gatland, I'll go with Wales as the big story of the event. Which leaves my predictions looking like this:

Quarter-Finals

Australia v South Africa

England v France

Wales v Italy

New Zealand v Scotland

Semi-Finals

Australia v France

Wales v New Zealand

Final

France v New Zealand

World Champions

New Zealand

Third Place

Wales :o

My only prediction is New Zealand to win the cup.

People go on about them being chokers, I don't believe this but I do believe that as they are seen as the team to beat by every other country in the world they will come up against a country in inspired form in every tournament.

I was reading a thread earlier tonight n a cycling forum I use and the England fans are hugely confident. I think they will do well but the semis are as far as they can go. Wales potentially could do OK but if Shane Williams breaks a toenail they lose a potent weapon. Remember Scotland in the first world cup when Rutherford was injured and we lost the one world class player we had.

My only prediction is New Zealand to win the cup.

People go on about them being chokers, I don't believe this but I do believe that as they are seen as the team to beat by every other country in the world they will come up against a country in inspired form in every tournament.

I was reading a thread earlier tonight n a cycling forum I use and the England fans are hugely confident. I think they will do well but the semis are as far as they can go. Wales potentially could do OK but if Shane Williams breaks a toenail they lose a potent weapon. Remember Scotland in the first world cup when Rutherford was injured and we lost the one world class player we had.

Rutherford had stupidly played in an exhibition match just before the squad flew out to NZL and picked up an injury which was aggravated in that first match v France. As for him being the only world class player, you forget the likes of Laidlaw, Tait, Jeffrey and the Hastings brothers also played in that tournament.

Rutherford had stupidly played in an exhibition match just before the squad flew out to NZL and picked up an injury which was aggravated in that first match v France. As for him being the only world class player, you forget the likes of Laidlaw, Tait, Jeffrey and the Hastings brothers also played in that tournament.

They were all good player but some people would argue Rutherford was the best in the world at his position at the time in terms of creativity.

Predictions:

QF2: Scotland v France (WINNER B V RUNNER UP A)

QF4: New Zealand v England (WINNER A V RUNNER UP )

SF1: Australia v France

SF2: S Africa v New Zealand

Final: Australia v New Zealand

Australia to win.

Think Ireland and Wales will get through their groups but I think they'll get a few scares along the way, may be being a bit bold/optimistic predicting Scotland to win their group but what the hell :D

They were all good player but some people would argue Rutherford was the best in the world at his position at the time in terms of creativity.

He was one of the top fly-halves I'll give you that. Grant Fox though was probably the best around that time with other worthy mentions being Philippe Sella, Dider Camberabero, Jonathan Davies, Michael Lynagh and Naas Botha.

He was one of the top fly-halves I'll give you that. Grant Fox though was probably the best around that time with other worthy mentions being Philippe Sella, Dider Camberabero, Jonathan Davies, Michael Lynagh and Naas Botha.

I remember Fox as a great kicker and percentage player who suited the system they played perfectly. But certainly not a dangerous runner.

And I remember Sella as a centre :whistling:

Carl Spackler

I can't see past the Kiwis on paper. It's a World Cup though!

I'd fancy SA over the Aussies.

You never know with France and England. I'd probably stick Wales in that grouping.

Italy and Argentina aren't what they have been in the past looking at recent form.

Scotland? Well who knows! Always hope for the best. I like Andy Robinson and think he gets the best out of the squad available to him. If we don't get past the group stage it will be a failure, if we get past it then it's a huge success.

Tiberius Stinkfinger

I'm firmly in the A.B.E camp.

I will support Scotland until they get pumped out in round one of course though.

I witnessed New Zealand choking against the French in Cardiff at the last WC and I firmly believe that they will choke again.

I fancy the Aussies.

dobmisterdobster

When Scotland get knocked out can we not have pages of jock hating bullshit please?

It happens with the Scottish national football team, Andy Murray etc...

It's ******* embarrassing!

Save your chat for a forum that gives a rats ass.

:vrface:

When Scotland get knocked out can we not have pages of jock hating bullshit please?

It happens with the Scottish national football team, Andy Murray etc...

It's ******* embarrassing!

Save your chat for a forum that gives a rats ass.

:vrface:

But...but...but...that's the Scottish way!!!

;)

I remember Fox as a great kicker and percentage player who suited the system they played perfectly. But certainly not a dangerous runner.

And I remember Sella as a centre :whistling:

Sella was like JPR who could play from 10 to 15.

Predictions:

I think Ireland will struggle this world cup - you honestly think they can beat S.Africa then N.Zealand to reach the final..? I think they will beat the USA but might have problems against Italy in the pool match. I know Italy have been poor recently but I think they can pull of a shock. Ireland will probably still go through in 2nd though as even if Italy beat them, can see them scoring much more points in the pool games and Italy could easily throw it against USA too.

Ireland look to be going downhill at precisely the wrong time; Argentina probably aren't the force they were; but Scotland look good, and let it be known that I am very apprehensive about the England-Scotland pool game. There's no question in my mind that England could lose. That leaves two sides who I haven't the foggiest about: and they're in the same nightmarish group. Wales could prove the tournament's surprise package, or they could finish 4th in their pool: either are entirely possible. And the defending Champs could either be ruined by their lunatic coach - or play with the kind of steely, indomitable resolve we've come to expect from them in World Cups.

I think on our day if we turn up Scotland can beat England too. I'm very scared about Manu Tuilagi though, think he will be a cracking player for them. It depends also on the Argentina game as thats first - do you think we will easily beat Argentina? If we win it will set us up nicely but a defeat well.. I agree with Wales too, recent form is not bad though so could do ok.

Quarter-Finals

Australia v South Africa

England v France

Wales v Italy

New Zealand v Scotland

Semi-Finals

Australia v France

Wales v New Zealand

Final

France v New Zealand

World Champions

New Zealand

Third Place

Wales :o

However even saying I think some teams might have a chance to make QF's, I'll be boring and go for..

Australia v Wales

England v France

South Africa v Ireland

New Zealand v Scotland

Semi's

Australia v England

South Africa v New Zealand

Final

Australia v New Zealand

I'll go with Wales as the big story of the event.

I'm never sure about Wales, like you say they could win their group or finish 4th. Just for fun I'm going to be bold with my predictions;

QF1: Australia v Samoa :o

QF2: England v France

QF3: South Africa v Italy :o

QF4: New Zeland v Scotland

SF1: Australia v France

SF2: South Africa v New Zealand

F: Australia v New Zealand

Cue Kiwis burning effiges of Graham Henry in the streets!

Under 12 hours until it all kicks off, looking forward to it!

Big game for New Zealand. They need to do well against Tonga to pick themselves up after losing the Tri-Nations. Anything less than a convincing win will add to the already tremendous pressure they're under already.

Keeping Carter fit is massive for them, lose him and they are in big trouble. And if you had to pick a team not to open your World Cup account against from a physicality point of view it would be one of the Pacific Island teams. New Zealand have picked two monsters in Williams and Nonu in the centre, but I think Tonga will target Carter more because of this.

If he picks up an injury which rules him out of the French game, the AB's could be in for a shock. Against the French they need to control the game against a team who seem to up their game everytime they play New Zealand.

Should be a cracking atmosphere for it though. Really hope they do the Sipi Tau and the Haka at the same time. They've done this before where the visiting team starts their war dance, then the AB's begin the Haka in response. The crowd go absolutely wild!

Really looking forward to this tournament.

Won't miss a game of it either. :thumbsup:

And yes, I'm supporting Scotland. When they get knocked out, I will be cheering on the other home nations.

I have a sneaky feeling Scotland will beat England. :ninja:

So it's New Zealand 1st XV Vs. New Zealand 3rd XV to start things off. Not a huge fan of rugby, but I do like it when the tournament is held in one country. None of this home games for the home nations rubbish.

marshallschunkychicken

Got this game recording on sky+, and will be settling my self down with a few beers this evening to watch it before the Scotland game.

Good first half from the All Blacks but pretty underwhelming 2nd. Probably pleased to get a physical match like that into the legs though and they still showed just how many dangerous runners they have when turning the ball over. One thing I've noticed is that I think the bookies have overegged some of the handicaps for the group games, I mean NZ were giving up between 60-63 pts ! They way the game is played with the stop start scrums nowadays takes more time off the board.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Tbf, I want engerland to win the tournament. Don't see it though and can't lOok beyond the all blacks - even though they're notorious for throwing in a fatal performance.

It was all too easy for the All Blacks...

Scotland stuff at 0130, start at 0200.

England at 0930.

Scotland: Paterson, Evans, Ansbro, S Lamont, Danielli, Jackson, Blair, Jacobsen, Ford, Cross, Gray, Kellock (capt), Brown, Barclay, Vernon.

Replacements: Lawson, Dickinson, Hines, Rennie, Cusiter, Parks, R Lamont.

marshallschunkychicken

I'm sure the side benefits in his life just now cheer him up a bit.

Just googled that. Kelly Brook. Good work Thom.

And a try as I type this. Nice.

Archived