US Open 2011 official thread

shaun.lawson

shaun.lawson

Until his crushing defeat at the hands of Novak Djokovic at this year's Australian Open final, most tennis pundits felt it was a question of not if, but when everyone's favourite greetin' faced hobo loser Scottish sporting hero would win his first Grand Slam title; but he fell onto the wrong side of the equation that day, and as his performance against Nadal at Wimbledon showed, the odds have been slowly climbing since. Until such point as he ever wins one - and hardly any men's player ever wins their first Grand Slam once they've passed their 24th birthday, as Andy Murray has now - they'll keep climbing too.

Now, the consensus essentially is that there's a Big Three, then a gap; and that Murray, as best of the rest, needs an awful lot of things to break for him (kind draw, upsets elsewhere, players ranked above him with injury problems) if it's ever going to happen. But the thing is, while Murray looked excellent in Cincinnati a couple of weeks ago, Nadal's been out of sorts all summer, Federer seems on a gradual decline... and Djokovic, the man of the year, has real fitness concerns.

All things being equal, and as long as his fitness holds up, Djokovic should win this event comfortably. His extraordinary record this year merits a third Grand Slam out of four: it's been Djokovic first, and daylight second throughout 2011. But will it? Can his shoulder possibly hold up after failing him in Cincinnati, and with him having played so much tennis all season long?

I'm saying it won't - and that therefore, someone else is gonna win this thing. As Sports Illustrated have pointed out, that someone might well be Murray; and the American online magazine, Tennis Server, have gone the whole hog and tipped him to do it. He has a chance, folks, no question about it: and it's not just people in Britain who think so.

Not that I'm tipping him, mind you: I'm going for Old Man Federer to emulate what Pete Sampras did in 2002, and win this out of left field; and I'm going for Juan-Martin Del Porto to confirm his return to top level by wreaking havoc in the bottom half of the draw, including against Murray in the quarters. But 13 days from now, a young Scot might well be holding his first Grand Slam title aloft: stranger things have happened, believe me.

Predictions

Quarter-Finals

Djokovic v Monfils

Federer v Fish

Del Potro v Murray

Ferrer v Nadal

Semi-Finals

Monfils v Federer

Del Potro v Nadal

Final

Federer v Del Potro

Champion

Federer

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Dusk_Till_Dawn

Interesting call on Del Portro btw Shaun. I hear people say that Murray is only out of the federer/nadal/djoky league but I'd add a 100% del potro to that list. Better player than Murray IMO

shaun.lawson

ANDY MURRAY WILL NEVER......ETC ETC FACT

:D

So who will, then?

Interesting call on Del Portro btw Shaun. I hear people say that Murray is only out of the federer/nadal/djoky league but I'd add a 100% del potro to that list. Better player than Murray IMO

At his best, I agree. If he stays fit, I see this tournament as a springboard to a successful, Slam winning 2012 for JMDP.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Nadal will get his shit together and beat Djokovic in the final.

Murray might not have a better chance than this though with the top 3 struggling.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Murray might not have a better chance than this though with the top 3 struggling.

Makes no difference. A bit like when the hobos got livi in the league cup final

I P Knightley

I'm saying it won't - and that therefore, someone else is gonna win this thing. As Sports Illustrated have pointed out, that someone might well be Murray; and the American online magazine, Tennis Server, have gone the whole hog and tipped him to do it. He has a chance, folks, no question about it: and it's not just people in Britain who think so.

Predictions

Quarter-Finals

Djokovic v Monfils (Djokovic ret'd hurt)

Federer v Fish

Del Potro v Murray

Ferrer v Nadal

Semi-Finals

Monfils v Federer

Del Potro v Nadal

Final

Federer v Del Potro

Champion

Federer

Can't see Djoko making the final - nor can I see him completing the match in which he loses.

Fully agree that Delpo is looking ominous. He had horrid draws in France and Wimbledon without which he'd have been well on his way to an appearance at the O2 in November. This draw looks better for him with Murray being his first serious obstacle (I don't see Stan as a serious contender for this). Murray's form is so in and out that any match between the two will be very Murray-mood dependent and I've given up any hope that he'll sort himself out in that department when it matters.

Whether Fed's got it in him to see off Delpo and Nadal in the final, I'm not sure. I suspect the champion will come from Murray's half of the draw.

Early next year, we'll have the top 5 of Djoko, Nadal, Fed, Murray and Delpo - which is as it should be.

Gavsy Van Gaverson

I don't think Del Potro is back at 100% and don't think he would beat any of the Top 4 over 5 sets yet.

Last month he was outclassed by Federer. A Federer who has been fairly average since the French Open.

It is all to play for in this tournament as none of the top 3 have had an ideal build up. Murray has a chance, albeit a slim one.

Gavsy Van Gaverson

Heather Watson is also one set all against Sharapova, with Sharapova now looking favourite after winning the second.

chester copperpot

I have a wee feeling about Mardy Fish for this tournament. Ah well, that's his tournament fecked then.

Tommy Wiseau

Too soon for JMDP, this one, imo. I see him getting to the last 16, quarters max.

Not going to make a prediction for the tournament, but I really don't see Murray doing it unless Nadal is papped before they are due to meet. I just don't think Murray can take two of the top 3 in consecutive slam rounds. He will never have a better chance though - cue a third round collapse against Feliciano Lopez. :rolleyes:

I P Knightley

One potential banana skin for Murray/JMDP is out of the way with Soderling dipping out due to bad guts.

Gavsy Van Gaverson

Although he was broken early the signs for Murray are encouraging. Plenty aggresion of both forehand and background.

Gavsy Van Gaverson

Although he was broken early the signs for Murray are encouraging. Plenty aggresion of both forehand and backhand..

He's been shit since the above

:facepalm:

Tommy Wiseau

so Murray has lost his opening game... Surprised i'm the first to post!

And I'm not quite so surprised to be the first to note that he's now 2 sets and a break up. :rolleyes:

Gavsy Van Gaverson

And I'm not quite so surprised to be the first to note that he's now 2 sets and a break up. :rolleyes:

This thread would've been a great read if the scores were reversed.

:facepalm:

chester copperpot

Playing more aggressive than he normally does.

good win.. he needed a game like that..

Lost too many points on his own serve, someone good might have troubled him a bit more!

I P Knightley

I was very disappointed that the new adidas kit wasn't as maroon as early press shots had led me to believe.

Cruising (a bit too much) in his first round match is a bit of a signature in Murray's game; to the point that he was pissing around, playing a 'tweener in one of the points. He does what he needs to which is fine by me.

On an only very vaguely related note, you'll be pleased to hear that the future of British tennis is safe in the hands of a Hearts man. One of the Knightley Juniors came runner-up in the 8 and under County championship today. What's that you say? Only runner-up? The no-good, wee team bottler.

I was very disappointed that the new adidas kit wasn't as maroon as early press shots had led me to believe.

Cruising (a bit too much) in his first round match is a bit of a signature in Murray's game; to the point that he was pissing around, playing a 'tweener in one of the points. He does what he needs to which is fine by me.

On an only very vaguely related note, you'll be pleased to hear that the future of British tennis is safe in the hands of a Hearts man. One of the Knightley Juniors came runner-up in the 8 and under County championship today. What's that you say? Only runner-up? The no-good, wee team bottler.

On the contrary. No good, wee team bottlers, like the current world number 4, win all the wee cups going, but bottle the Big Cups. Jambo tennis players, on the other hand, can't be bothered with Mickey Mouse wee tournaments, and save themselves for the real thing. :thumbsup:

I am confident that, thanks to the inevitable future exploits of Knightley Jr, the long wait for a Grand Slam title will come to an end. 2025 sounds about right, given his clearly meteoric progress: I'd be off to find a bookie if I were you. :)

I P Knightley

On the contrary. No good, wee team bottlers, like the current world number 4, win all the wee cups going, but bottle the Big Cups. Jambo tennis players, on the other hand, can't be bothered with Mickey Mouse wee tournaments, and save themselves for the real thing. :thumbsup:

I am confident that, thanks to the inevitable future exploits of Knightley Jr, the long wait for a Grand Slam title will come to an end. 2025 sounds about right, given his clearly meteoric progress: I'd be off to find a bookie if I were you. :)

He's decided he wants to be in Wimbledon when he's sixteen, which is 2020. If that happens and we have to wait until he's 21 for a slam, can you imagine what hibsnet's equivalent of 3-in-a-Bed will be going on like, jeering about the "yam" being "pumped oot"? :)

I P Knightley

Djokovic is currently 6-0 5-0 up.

A ruthless performance, finishing 6-0, 6-0, 6-2. Berlocq never won a single one of his own service games; his two games being breaks of Djoko's serve.

P.S. the first of Shaun's Q-F tips has been knocked out. Monfils pumped oot by Ferrero. Second half of the second round to be played today.

Think Murray is playing around 8.30 tonight UK time.. Should be a straightforward win for him but you never know.

Again.. All the British girls are out...

I P Knightley

Wobbly times in set 1. Haase is no mug and seems to be pounding down his serves.

Anyone got a link to a stream?

Gavsy Van Gaverson

It is like watching a re-run of previous matches that he's lost in majors. Head goes down and he loses the plot.

What an arse!

I P Knightley

Well this one will be done by midnight. :lol:

Looks like it might now.

It also looked like it might after the second set - but with a different result.

I P Knightley

Who's winning?

Live score here: http://www.usopen.or...sRightRailPromo

6-7; 2-6; 6-2; 6-0; 4-1 - Murray's scores first.

Now it's looking like Murray'll be through to meet "Deliciano" in round three.

Haase's getting the trainer on at the turn round. I doubt he'll dip out - yet another player has with Mahut dropping out against Nadal a few minutes ago.

he could be on for winning now.... doesn't look like the boy will win another game. wow

big mouth i have.. This is great stuff

Archived