US Open 2011 official thread

shaun.lawson

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dear me. Greatest match of this year. Greatest match since Nadal-Federer Wimbledon '08. One of the greatest matches in history: it might end up being the greatest before this night is out.

Unbelievably fitting spectacle between two of the greatest competitors sport has ever known.

Dear me. Greatest match of this year. Greatest match since Nadal-Federer Wimbledon '08. One of the greatest matches in history: it might end up being the greatest before this night is out.

Unbelievably fitting spectacle between two of the greatest competitors sport has ever known.

So your enjoying it then aye? :lol:

So your enjoying it then aye? :lol:

Nah. It's pish. Look at that pussy Djokovic on his hands and knees out there: all he's done is jog around for a bit, and then he just collapses. Man up, you wimp! :lol:

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

Looking like Djoko might be struggling to finish this.

Can anybody think of another time when almost everybody was aware of the fact they were in the middle of the greatest era in the history of a sport?

Not doubting he has had an issue with his back but think Djokovic was very cute after that 1st game. Nadal had lots of momentum and it took his sting away for the last couple of games. Nothing wrong with it, at this level any small advantage might be crucial and he definitely regained his composure. Be interesting to see what happens at next change of ends if he is broken.

Say What Again

Djokovic is in absolutely phenomenal form. He's only lost twice in 66 games this year, and has now won all six meetings with Nadal in 2011. :o

Fantastic match. On this form they are on another planet. No wonder Murray can't win a slam, but nothing wrong being 4th best against these guys.

Predictions

Quarter-Finals

Djokovic v Monfils

Federer v Fish

Del Potro v Murray

Ferrer v Nadal

Semi-Finals

Monfils v Federer

Del Potro v Nadal

Final

Federer v Del Potro

Champion

Federer

Gulp!!

I don't think that men's tennis is going to be this unpredicatble for quite some time. Next year may see Federer step off the gas and allow Murray a brief hold on #3 in the rankings; we may see Nadal take a few of the 1000s from Djoko and we ought to see Murray win a couple of them but, injury notwithstanding, we're almost certainly going to see 4 grand slam finals between Djokovic and Nadal. Even the injury thing may be clutching at straws; whatever these two have taken or done to themselves seems to have improved both the tennis they play and their durability.

A couple of decent tournies for Delpo will see his ranking rise, giving him a more favourable draw and, if he ends up in Murray's or Federer's quarter, he'll have his chances for a semi-final or two.

Sadly, we're unlikely to see Federer play Murray again, other than, perhaps, the tour finals at the millenium dome. The Murray from the last fornight against Federer would be a match almost as entertaining as last night's final. (They should have 3/4 place play-offs - if it's good enough for my kids in the 8s and unders, it's good enough for the pros!!)

jambos are go!

A great display of power tennis from both . A couple of points though. At times Djokovic's first serve was poor and he got away with second serves with neither consistently hitting winning return of serves. Unusual for the mens game. I would have lked to have seen a bit more variety than prolonged rallies and it would be nice for a really top notch serve and volley player to emerge. Or an Agassi, McEnroe or Arthur Ashe to mix it up and vary the pace as vintage Federer can do. This way is Murrays best chance IMO other than Dkokovic and Nadal burning themselves out. One of my favourite ever Wimbledon Finals was Arthur Ashe not allowing the big hitting, high tempo and brilliant Jimmy Connors to get into top gear. Just an opinion from a self confessed Murray fan. But no mistake the top 3 are awesome.

A great display of power tennis from both . A couple of points though. At times Djokovic's first serve was poor and he got away with second serves with neither consistently hitting winning return of serves. Unusual for the mens game. I would have lked to have seen a bit more variety than prolonged rallies and it would be nice for a really top notch serve and volley player to emerge. Or an Agassi, McEnroe or Arthur Ashe to mix it up and vary the pace as vintage Federer can do. This way is Murrays best chance IMO other than Dkokovic and Nadal burning themselves out. One of my favourite ever Wimbledon Finals was Arthur Ashe not allowing the big hitting, high tempo and brilliant Jimmy Connors to get into top gear. Just an opinion from a self confessed Murray fan. But no mistake the top 3 are awesome.

Good post.

I don't think it's a top 3 any more. Nadal and Djokovic would have Federer almost any time they wanted now. In fact, the year to date stats favour Murray over Federer. So I think you've got a big 2 (hence my belief that every 2012 Grand Slam final would be Nadal v Djoko); then you've got 2 more - with Federer on the wane, it won't be for very long; then you've got another gap until "the rest" and, with the possible exception of Del Potro, there's not much sign of anyone coming through from "the rest" to take Roger's place in the top 4 at the end of the year.

Gulp!!

I don't think that men's tennis is going to be this unpredicatble for quite some time. Next year may see Federer step off the gas and allow Murray a brief hold on #3 in the rankings; we may see Nadal take a few of the 1000s from Djoko and we ought to see Murray win a couple of them but, injury notwithstanding, we're almost certainly going to see 4 grand slam finals between Djokovic and Nadal. Even the injury thing may be clutching at straws; whatever these two have taken or done to themselves seems to have improved both the tennis they play and their durability.

A couple of decent tournies for Delpo will see his ranking rise, giving him a more favourable draw and, if he ends up in Murray's or Federer's quarter, he'll have his chances for a semi-final or two.

Sadly, we're unlikely to see Federer play Murray again, other than, perhaps, the tour finals at the millenium dome. The Murray from the last fornight against Federer would be a match almost as entertaining as last night's final. (They should have 3/4 place play-offs - if it's good enough for my kids in the 8s and unders, it's good enough for the pros!!)

Ah - but I did cover myself in the OP, by saying:

All things being equal, and as long as his fitness holds up, Djokovic should win this event comfortably. His extraordinary record this year merits a third Grand Slam out of four: it's been Djokovic first, and daylight second throughout 2011.

That's the problem with predicting tournaments in which there are fitness doubts surrounding the favourite - because the whole event ultimately went perfectly to form.

I have a very hard time seeing four more Slam finals between Djokovic and Nadal throughout next year, though. For one thing, Nadal surely has to get disheartened, with knock-on effects for his form, if Djoko keeps owning him like this; but for another, for the life of me, I can't see Nole being so ridiculously dominant for another whole year.

What he's done this year is, in Slam terms, the modern equivalent of what Mats Wilander did in 1988; and Wilander couldn't keep it up.

Good post.

I don't think it's a top 3 any more. Nadal and Djokovic would have Federer almost any time they wanted now. In fact, the year to date stats favour Murray over Federer. So I think you've got a big 2 (hence my belief that every 2012 Grand Slam final would be Nadal v Djoko); then you've got 2 more - with Federer on the wane, it won't be for very long; then you've got another gap until "the rest" and, with the possible exception of Del Potro, there's not much sign of anyone coming through from "the rest" to take Roger's place in the top 4 at the end of the year.

I was wondering about this earlier. Who's the real number 3 now? Federer or Murray?

Says here, it's stlll Fed: who beat Djokovic at the French, and was a point away from beating him here. Could Murray have done that over five sets at either venue? I think not.

I do agree that it's only Del Potro who's likely to threaten the top four over the next 12 months, though; and that, fitness permitting, Murray is pretty much bound to overtake Federer at some point.

Ah - but I did cover myself in the OP,

That was my selective quoting :). Had you gone with the safe, and ultimately accurate, prediction for the semis, you'd have had a few pelters for "stating the obvious".

I have a very hard time seeing four more Slam finals between Djokovic and Nadal throughout next year, though. For one thing, Nadal surely has to get disheartened, with knock-on effects for his form, if Djoko keeps owning him like this; but for another, for the life of me, I can't see Nole being so ridiculously dominant for another whole year.

What he's done this year is, in Slam terms, the modern equivalent of what Mats Wilander did in 1988; and Wilander couldn't keep it up.

Djoko may not be able to repeat the 64-2 rate of winning but he's got the French in his sights and everyone else quaking in their boots. If his performance drops, I imagine it will be in the 1000s and he'll keep focussed on the Slams (I've already put in the 'barring injury' disclaimer).

Nadal may be disheartened but I can't see him getting so disheartened that he lets Murray or Delpo through when it really matters. He's made of special stuff, that boy!

Archived