US Open 2011 official thread

shaun.lawson

I P Knightley

Never watched it, but looking through the BBC feed it looks like it was almost a walkover for Murray.

I also meant to say that it's well worth watching the Sky coverage for the studio interviews. Although you have to bear Greg 'Moose-face' Rusedski, Annabel Croft looked quite beautiful. I wonder if she wants to marry me.:wub:

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Gavsy Van Gaverson

The American commentators on the Red Button dinnae half talk alot of shite at times. But good to hear their take on Andy Murray.

chester copperpot

I have a wee feeling about Mardy Fish for this tournament. Ah well, that's his tournament fecked then.

down.gif

down.gif

Ah well. At least there's someone who can now join me among the ranks of those who couldn't tip rubbish.

I know I tipped Federer to win the title - but another Grand Slam quarter-final v Tsonga? Hmm...

chester copperpot

Ah well. At least there's someone who can now join me among the ranks of those who couldn't tip rubbish.

I know I tipped Federer to win the title - but another Grand Slam quarter-final v Tsonga? Hmm...

I have just realised that I watch waaaaaaaaaay too much sport.

Nice save from Fish there.

Tsonga through in five sets. Perhaps it is because I am no afficiendo of the sport but for me he is the most entertaining player to watch on the tour. His matches always seem to fly in. Plus, he won me a decent wedge after I backed him at 1 set a piece tonight so he really is an all round good guy.

As an aside, if anybody hasn't checked it out yet, go to the live scores on the official US Open website then go to pointstream there is a ridiculous amount of information available on each match. The kind of statistical information I can only wish I was slightly nerdier to fully appreciate.

I P Knightley

Incoming message from Rafa for Shaun:

"Who did you say would be in the quarters?"

"I'm sorry... who???"

RafaelNadalCrampSep11AP.jpg :)

I have just realised that I watch waaaaaaaaaay too much sport.

Nice save from Fish there.

I wish I was able to watch more. Because I've got about 12 hours of editing ahead of me tonight - then I'm doing the same again through the small hours of Wednesday as well!

:vrface:

Incoming message from Rafa for Shaun:

"Who did you say would be in the quarters?"

"I'm sorry... who???"

RafaelNadalCrampSep11AP.jpg :)

Tell Rafa that, like what happened to him yesterday, it's a temporary fault - and I'll be right back on song with my Rugby World Cup predictions. I hope. :mellow:

Murray first up on Arthur Ashe at 16.00hrs.

Hopefully starts positively and over and done with quickly - even in 4

Not really wanting him eating into too many the footy kick offs.

I P Knightley

Murray first up on Arthur Ashe at 16.00hrs.

Hopefully starts positively and over and done with quickly - even in 4

Not really wanting him eating into too many the footy kick offs.

Or 6pm?

I'm rubbish at time differences and would have thought that 11:00 in NYC (the time on the US Open schedule) was 4 pm here.

Gavsy Van Gaverson

Or 6pm?

I'm rubbish at time differences and would have thought that 11:00 in NYC (the time on the US Open schedule) was 4 pm here.

He was due on first today . 11am local and 4pm our time.

Rain delayed at the moment.

I P Knightley

He was due on first today . 11am local and 4pm our time.

Rain delayed at the moment.

'splains it.

Cheers.

The current forecast calls for showers to continue for the next few hours followed by a period of dryness, when we hope to begin match play. Please check back for updates.

Could be a long 'un.

'splains it.

Cheers.

Could be a long 'un.

The weather is utterly gash here today. Wouldn't expect any tennis for at least 2-3 hours looking at the cloud cover.

loveofthegame

The scheduling of this entire tournament has been woeful. Murray didn't get to start until day 3, and now won't have his 4th round match (of the potential 7) until day 10 of the tournament! Means someone in the bottom half of the draw is potentially going to have to play 4 matches in 5 days. In 5 set Slam tennis, that is a tough tough ask.

What chance Murray had will probably be badly affected by this. Top half of the draw have a big advantage here.

Carl Spackler

Cancelling the whole day at 2pm local time is strange too. The night matches aren't scheduled until 7pm :facepalm:

Is their weather not far more predictable than ours though?

I P Knightley

The scheduling of this entire tournament has been woeful. Murray didn't get to start until day 3, and now won't have his 4th round match (of the potential 7) until day 10 of the tournament! Means someone in the bottom half of the draw is potentially going to have to play 4 matches in 5 days. In 5 set Slam tennis, that is a tough tough ask.

What chance Murray had will probably be badly affected by this. Top half of the draw have a big advantage here.

Fully agree on the scheduling. I think I'm right that, in normal conditions, they run the semis similarly to the Aussies - on separate days, giving one of the finalists a much longer rest before the final.

Gavsy Van Gaverson

Fully agree on the scheduling. I think I'm right that, in normal conditions, they run the semis similarly to the Aussies - on separate days, giving one of the finalists a much longer rest before the final.

Nah, the US Open has BOTH mens semi finals played on 'Super Saturday' with the final on the Sunday.

They play both semi's on the Saturday then the final on the Sunday. They used to play the woman's final inbetween the 2 men's semi's which gave an advantage to the player who played in the first match.

Cancelling the whole day at 2pm local time is strange too. The night matches aren't scheduled until 7pm :facepalm:

Still hooring it down at 10:30 pm so they made the right call (well, if we ignore not sticking a roof on the stadium years ago, which is feckin' huge beast to be fair).

It doesn't rain as often here as it does in the UK, but when it does it doesn't **** about. As the Brits in the office pointed out to the Septics with their 'must remind you of home' chat today, New York gets roughly double the annual rainfall of London. It just doesn't do grey and overcast for days on end.

Looks like it might finally be clearing up, though the chance of showers is going to remain for most of the day. Personally I'm hoping it's delayed a few more hours, loads of folk b*gger off home, then I can nip out to Flushing and nab a cheap ticket for the last couple of sets of the Murray match.

Can't see the final being done and dusted by Sunday some how though.

http://www.wunderground.com/US/NY/New_York.html

I P Knightley

Dave, you want to be getting your Monday and Tuesday planned to leave your jacket on the back of your seat and bugger off down FM to watch the SFs and Finals.

I couldn't believe when I read on the Beeb that this will be the 4th successive year in which the finals have gone to the Monday. There's no doubt now, with the bunching up of fixtures, that Djoko & Federer have a significantly easier ride. There's no reason at all why a round 1 match should have been scheduled for Day 3. These damned colonials haven't got a clue.

Meanwhile - have we noticed that all 4 of the British juniors made progress to round 2?

Sergio Garcia

I'll be honest these rain delays are really killing my interest in this tournament, I know they cant be helped but having the players on and pretty much off again is so darn frustrating.

Hopefully a few good games will reignite me for the rest of it

Is there any major logistical reason the tournament couldn't be extended to a Tuesday or a Wednesday. Would be a fair amount of hassle but there are only four slams a season and seems ridiculous that Murray or Nadal could be asked to play 4 matches in as many days.

Still hooring it down at 10:30 pm so they made the right call (well, if we ignore not sticking a roof on the stadium years ago, which is feckin' huge beast to be fair).

It doesn't rain as often here as it does in the UK, but when it does it doesn't **** about. As the Brits in the office pointed out to the Septics with their 'must remind you of home' chat today, New York gets roughly double the annual rainfall of London. It just doesn't do grey and overcast for days on end.

I'd like to retract this earlier statement. Hooring it down again.

I P Knightley

Job done by Murray and Nadal.

Looks like the Isner v Simon match could drag out before we know who's playing Murray. Roddick seems in control against Ferrer for a meet-up with Nadal.

I P Knightley

Job done by Murray and Nadal.

Looks like the Isner v Simon match could drag out before we know who's playing Murray. Roddick seems in control against Ferrer for a meet-up with Nadal.

Always rely on me for a tip. It very much looks like it's going to 2 sets all.

I P Knightley

Predictions

Quarter-Finals

Djokovic v Monfils Tipsy

Federer v Fish Tsonga

Isner Del Potro v Murray

Roddick Ferrer v Nadal

Tipsy will roll over and let his countryman through. He's a break up in set 1 but that will sort itself out soon

Federer has always struggled with J-W; should be a close one but Fed's on form so I fancy him to edge it.

Isner, the big lunk, doesn't know how to play Murray so it's all down to whether Murray has his game face on.

Nadal game would be fun to be at. The Yankeedoodles will be out in force for A-Rod but NAdal will mince him.

Semi-final line up: the "big" 4.

Gavsy Van Gaverson

Tipsarevic is giving Djokovic a game here. Djokovic won the first set on a tie break but Tipsy served for the set.

Tipsarevic a break up in the second set. 2-0.

Tipsarevic is giving Djokovic a game here. Djokovic won the first set on a tie break but Tipsy served for the set.

Tipsarevic a break up in the second set. 2-0.

That break has gone already.

Don't think Wanko has the bottle for it.

Served for the first set, chucked it and then completely chucked the breaker.

Janko playing out of his skin here to be fair.

6-5, Djoko serving to take it to a breaker.

Janko doesn't deserve to go 2 sets down here, and of course if he does it's game over.

I P Knightley

Djoko running away with the 3rd at the moment. Match could take a fair bit out of him though.

... and in the end, an injury put paid to Tipsarevic's "challenge".

Looking forward to the Federer semi. A few signs from Djoko that all's not quite as well as it has been and Fed has been smooth as glass. I'd like to see Roger take it.

In the juniors, 3 of the 4 Brits made it through to the QFs.

Archived