US Open 2011 official thread

shaun.lawson

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Never in doubt.

:cornette:

You don't want matches like that when Djockovic is strolling through his matches like naebodies business.

PS. We've got a Kirilenko code red on SS2 lads. :wub:

Annabel Croft says it best: "she's a lovely girl and has worked to get a great physique"

PS. We've got a Kirilenko code red on SS2 lads. :wub:

Annabel Croft says it best: "she's a lovely girl and has worked to get a great physique"

4MSvT.gif

P.S. the first of Shaun's Q-F tips has been knocked out. Monfils pumped oot by Ferrero. Second half of the second round to be played today.

Tremendous comeback from Murray - bodes very well for him. But as for Monfils... in his case, I will never, ever learn. :vrface:

There's been a succession of French players over the years who even their public couldn't understand. Leconte, Pioline, Gasquet, Monfils... I think the term is 'hermetique'. :mellow:

4MSvT.gif

:lol:

Anyone else posts that and I would be saying "how did you even find that?". Don't think that'll be necessary on this occasion though.

chester copperpot

:lol:

Anyone else posts that and I would be saying "how did you even find that?". Don't think that'll be necessary on this occasion though.

She is majorly cute, I like her X lots.

Andy Murray last night, a lot of credit has to go to that Haase guy. I think if he could play like that consistently, I'd have to agree with the commentators last night who said he'd be a top 20 player easily. Apparently quite injury prone too, which is a shame, because he could've went far in the game I think. Still only 24 so might still be okay. His talent was never in question though. He ran out of steam in those last few sets.

Murray might be boring off the court, but on it, you can always guarantee a bit excitement and a good quality tennis match. I hope this is his bad game out of the road, but he will get blown away by JDP if he plays like that if he managed to get through to the quarters.

Gavsy Van Gaverson

Murray now up to 3rd in the world. :pleasing:

I very much doubt it. He was 1,800 points behind Federer going into the US Open and there hasn't be that swing so far.

Murray will only go to 3rd if Federer goes out early and Murray goes deep in to the draw i.e if Federer loses points and Murray gains loads.

I very much doubt it. He was 1,800 points behind Federer going into the US Open and there hasn't be that swing so far.

Murray will only go to 3rd if Federer goes out early and Murray goes deep in to the draw i.e if Federer loses points and Murray gains loads.

Aye just looked it up. The beeb talking pish as usual.

During the first set someone in the crowd shouted "Come on Andy, do it for Mummy!"

Kirilenko won in straight sets, looked very good. Played well too! :thumbsup:

1170082_o.gif460037_o.giftumblr_lef7ncRWaj1qcb1qao1_500.gif

I P Knightley

4MSvT.gif

Should be reposted in the "greatest GIFs of all time" thread in the pub. If I had an arse like hers, I'd suffer whiplash if I went past too many mirrors.

Aye just looked it up. The beeb talking pish as usual.

The Beeb's correct (or has corrected itself since Gavsy pointed out the obvious). Murray's the third player to secure his place at the end of season finals at the Millenium Dome.

This is based on points earned since the start of the year, rather than year-on-year rolling totals which determine the world ranking. It means that Murray has now collected enough points this calendar year (4730) to ensure he can't be overtaken by Soderling & Tsonga, who lie ninth equal (2080 points). Federer's a couple of hundred points behind on the year-to-date tally and, with Soderling & Almagro out of the US, will probably secure his place after about round 4 or the QFs.

Should be reposted in the "greatest GIFs of all time" thread in the pub. If I had an arse like hers, I'd suffer whiplash if I went past too many mirrors.

The Beeb's correct (or has corrected itself since Gavsy pointed out the obvious). Murray's the third player to secure his place at the end of season finals at the Millenium Dome.

This is based on points earned since the start of the year, rather than year-on-year rolling totals which determine the world ranking. It means that Murray has now collected enough points this calendar year (4730) to ensure he can't be overtaken by Soderling & Tsonga, who lie ninth equal (2080 points). Federer's a couple of hundred points behind on the year-to-date tally and, with Soderling & Almagro out of the US, will probably secure his place after about round 4 or the QFs.

Federer has now qualified for the World Tour Finals after beating Cilic in 4 sets.

I P Knightley

11 boys dropping out of the men's draw (retired or ill) so far.

There must be a book open on the final number. I'd put a few pence on Djoko dropping out during a match.

Gavsy Van Gaverson

Did anyone just see what happened with Nadal?

He was being interviewed, slumped back in the chair in pain and slid of the chair under the table. It did not look good.

Very strange.

I P Knightley

Turns out it was just a severe cramp.

:facepalm:

Didn't see it. I watched the first set and a half of his match and it's no wonder he's in a spot of fatigue.

JMDP being given his first stern test of the tourney with Simon looking as though he's about to wrap up the third set after DelPo taking the first and SImon then equalising. 2 and a half hours in. If DelPo goes on to win it, I'd imagine another incidence of cramp.

Gavsy Van Gaverson

Didn't see it. I watched the first set and a half of his match and it's no wonder he's in a spot of fatigue.

JMDP being given his first stern test of the tourney with Simon looking as though he's about to wrap up the third set after DelPo taking the first and SImon then equalising. 2 and a half hours in. If DelPo goes on to win it, I'd imagine another incidence of cramp.

Simon now up 2 sets to 1. Simon is making Del Potro do an awful of lot of running and the big man is suffering.

Been a great match this one. Del Potro has been running on empty for ages but keeps pulling games out the bag against the odds. 3-3 in breaker...

I P Knightley

Simon now up 2 sets to 1. Simon is making Del Potro do an awful of lot of running and the big man is suffering.

Match to Simon

That's Shaun's second Semi Final tip bitten the dust. (To be fair - I agreed with JMDP at least to the QF)

Should Murray get through, he's set to meet Donald Young in R4. I can't imagine Murray would have a sympathetic crowd - they're pretty patriotic at Flushing Meadows

Match to Simon

That's Shaun's second QF tip bitten the dust. (To be fair - it's one I agreed with.)

Should Murray get through, he's set to meet Donald Young in R4. I can't imagine Murray would have a sympathetic crowd - they're pretty patriotic at Flushing Meadows

:vrface:

That'll learn me to tip surprise packages. :angry:

Good news for Murray, though: no question about that.

Too soon for JMDP, this one, imo. I see him getting to the last 16, quarters max.

:interesting:

This guy obviously knows his tennis. :smuggy:

JMDP's lack of fitness showed there big time, but what a match. Got to like Simon - he doesn't have a single major weapon in his locker (he isn't particularly fast, powerful, big serving or hitting), but he is a tricky player and knows his way around the court. His shot selection is almost always spot on and he knows when to be aggressive - something Murray could learn from at times. Del Potro would have done him fully fit though I reckon.

Gavsy Van Gaverson

I don't think Del Potro is back at 100% and don't think he would beat any of the Top 4 over 5 sets yet.

Last month he was outclassed by Federer. A Federer who has been fairly average since the French Open.

I also knew it was too early for JMDP. Thought he'd go a bit further though.

:verysmug:

I P Knightley

Thanks, Shaun.

Great to have seen such a brutal performance in that first set. Fair enough, Lopez doesn't seem up* for it but Murray has been about as focussed as I've seen him.

*Maybe he's on a promise of a ride off Judy.

I P Knightley

Never watched it, but looking through the BBC feed it looks like it was almost a walkover for Murray.

Certainly the case in sets 1 and 3. In 1, Lopez just looked as though he wanted to be anywhere other than a tennis court. Murray played very well but not so well that he shouldn't have had a single point against his serve. He was very clever with his service game; positioning his first serves rather than blasting them but Lopez failed to switch onto this and stood, leaden-footed, and failed to hit many of the returns anything like cleanly.

The second set was very enjoyable, nail-biting tennis. Good long rallies and Lopez getting around the ball to hit it properly and put Murray under pressure. Video clips might show Murray having a wee swear to himself but at no point did he look as though he had any doubt about being able to crank it up and take the set.

In round 3, the commentators were guessing that Lopez was on the verge of packing it in. Didn't look it to me but his performance was much nearer set 1 than set 2. Lots and lots of sloppy errors and no fire in him.

The Donald young match will be worth watching. Young looks fired up and has the very vocal support of the crowd. Murray will need to kill him off in the first set to get them to pipe down but he (Young) looks as though he may give Murray quite a game, regardless of the crowd.

Archived