Can I just urge you not to watch 'that was the team that was' 1985/86

Craigieboy

I know it's been discussed before.

I like the idea of the season being so enjoyable & totally mental in some ways. So many happy memories for most.

But I just find the ending so, so heartbreaking. It's bad enough watching the bare footage of Dens but this programme gives a running commentary of every single tear shed by each player & fan.

I still can't get my mind around those 7 minutes.

I was a kid but I can honestly say that if that sort of thing happened now, it would take me weeks to get over.

Just don't do it guys.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply
heartgarfunkel

I have difficulty with that scenario too.

Still, two Scottish Cups and 20 odd years as top dog in the capital help ease the pain.

:107years:

TheTynieTank

When Is It On?

Being Only 16 I Want To Actually Know How It All Went Down Even Though It Probably Will Be Painful Viewing

When Is It On?

Being Only 16 I Want To Actually Know How It All Went Down Even Though It Probably Will Be Painful Viewing

Tomorrow night at 7ish.

I watched it before & had to go to bed after.

TheTynieTank
Tomorrow night at 7ish.

I watched it before & had to go to bed after.

Saying Thanks Just Now Get The Feeling I won't Feel That Way By Half 7 Tomorrow

But Cheers I Guess

I wont be watching it.

Wasn't born, but dont fancy watching the end to it all.

I know fine well what happened.:(

i remember watching the programme , it caused a few tears but also brought back some happy memories.

if i'm honest , i still havn't got over dens park , but i would rather another 85/86 instead of our current season.

if i remember right , our worst result against the hobos that season was a 2-1 victory and anything less than a 2 goal margin against the huns was almost a failure.

jambo walesy

Seen this the last time.

Im only 16 but i was nearly in tears watching that.

God knows how it was like for you guys that were there.

Been over it all before on other threads, but i`ll probably watch it.

My heart sinks and i get a chill down my spine everytime i think about it.

But, out of it we can hold our heads high alongside the Sheep as being the only two non-OF teams to genuinely challenge for the title in the last 20 years.

1988, 92, 98 and 06 also prove Hearts now and again show they are a club who have the potential to one day finally cross that line.

Can the Hobos say the same? can they f.........

J.T.F.Robertson
i remember watching the programme , it caused a few tears but also brought back some happy memories.

if i'm honest , i still havn't got over dens park , but i would rather another 85/86 instead of our current season.

if i remember right , our worst result against the hobos that season was a 2-1 victory and anything less than a 2 goal margin against the huns was almost a failure.

You have to be innit to winnit. Other than the way it ended (obviously) ...... no regrets.

Charlie-Brown

It truly was a terrific season - I know we didn't win anything & the final week was as cruel disaster as you could imagine - however it was bloody great - great team, great players, great results, great atmosphere, great supporters.

We beat Rangers (3-0, 3-2(cup), 3-1 at tynie & also won 2-0 away) we won at Celtic for the first time in absolutely yonks (16+ years) - won at Pittodrie, Tannadice, beat Hibs twice at tynie including 3-1 on New Years day plus a win & a 0-0 draw at fester.

It truly was a terrific season - I know we didn't win anything & the final week was as cruel disaster as you could imagine - however it was bloody great - great team, great players, great results, great atmosphere, great supporters.

We beat Rangers (3-0, 3-2(cup), 3-1 at tynie & also won 2-0 away) we won at Celtic for the first time in absolutely yonks (16+ years) - won at Pittodrie, Tannadice, beat Hibs twice at tynie including 3-1 on New Years day plus a win & a 0-0 draw at fester.

I think the effect long term was beneficial to Hearts, perversely! Of course, winning the double would have been even more beneficial but performing the way we did that season finally established us back as a force in Scottish football and set a standard at the club again.

We went on to have more disappointments but we were in a positon to do so. We went on to have a few more very good seasons at home and in europe and Hearts had truly returned to where they belonged.

Rick Grimes

'tic fan at work was making jokes at me first thing in the morning about 1986.

i nearly lamped him.

Buffalo Bill

It was the best of times, and the worst of times.

...and may we live in intersting times.

1633642.jpg?v=1&c=ViewImages&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF19390335F8FA9CA92A6EDF4FCC36D0162F79930FDCFC4C15FBB

Buffalo Bill

Rick Grimes
I think the effect long term was beneficial to Hearts, perversely! Of course, winning the double would have been even more beneficial but performing the way we did that season finally established us back as a force in Scottish football and set a standard at the club again.

We went on to have more disappointments but we were in a positon to do so. We went on to have a few more very good seasons at home and in europe and Hearts had truly returned to where they belonged.

dunno. to get the monkey off our back by winning the double would have made the players believe it could be done on a more regular basis. having it snatched away just served to confirm that the league is Rantic's to win, imo.

Charlie-Brown

1633642.jpg?v=1&c=ViewImages&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF19390335F8FA9CA92A6EDF4FCC36D0162F79930FDCFC4C15FBB

Buffalo Bill

It was the best of times - it wasn't the worst of times - not by a long stretch - however it was the worst week....just like 02-05-98 till 16-05-08 was 14 glorius days in May. :)

Brian Whittaker's Tache

I'll be watching

OK the end of the season was the most traumatic time ever, but I have some great memories of that season.

It was the season of Baldy Hearts and there were some great times

dunno. to get the monkey off our back by winning the double would have made the players believe it could be done on a more regular basis. having it snatched away just served to confirm that the league is Rantic's to win, imo.

defo agree mate, but at least a bit good came out of bad in the sense that Hearts kept a certain level afterwards.

There`s been many one season wonders about over the years. Although they never really challenge for the title clubs like Motherwell, StJohnstone and even the Hobos have never really held consistency in the league after finishing third.

Buffalo Bill
It was the best of times - it wasn't the worst of times - not by a long stretch - however it was the worst week....just like 02-05-98 till 16-05-08 was 14 glorius days in May. :)

So it was the worst of times then? :confused:

Buffalo Bill

J.T.F.Robertson

You know, I've often thought, had any other team gone 27 league games without defeat, it more than likely, would have been sown up sometime in March. Hearts ...... :(

Gutwrenchingly scarring and a tad painful.

If you had paranoid feelings before that 8 days , they were certainly confirmed.

Charlie-Brown
So it was the worst of times then? :confused:

Buffalo Bill

No 1977-1981-1982 was a lot worse - Relegations, Forfar, East Stirling defeats & all that was worse.

Buffalo Bill
No 1977-1981-1982 was a lot worse - Relegations, Forfar, East Stirling defeats & all that was worse.

To be fair, I only started watching Hearts in season 81/82: and I appreciate what you say re the hopelessness of 77-82 etc.

but....

Surely to god that twenty minutes to five on Saturday, May 3rd 1986 was the most stomach-churning, gut-wrenching, kick in balls, shot, killed and set on fire moment in the history of supporting Hearts.

If I'm wrong, then I apologise.

Buffalo Bill

rossthejambo

have seen it before. wasnt born fortunately but watching it brought a tear to my eye.

i seriously hope that that never happens while im watching hearts. regardless of whether or not it was a good season. the disappointment of that 1 day would be enough to ruin any season.

Fozzyonthefence
'tic fan at work was making jokes at me first thing in the morning about 1986.

i nearly lamped him.

You should have just reminded him of Motherwell and Scott MacDonald!

Guess The Crowd

Buffalo Bill

Taken from the first ever Only An Excuse IIRC (when it was still audio only), which also featured the following lines;

'Hearts haven't had their problems to seek; Craig Levein's been injured, and Brian Whittaker hasn't....'

Fozzyonthefence
You know, I've often thought, had any other team gone 27 league games without defeat, it more than likely, would have been sown up sometime in March. Hearts ...... :(

Would have been if we hadn't had such an awful start to the season.

Buffalo Bill
You should have just reminded him of Motherwell and Scott MacDonald!

True, but Celtic lose it one year, and then they win it the next (and the one before).

That's why they'll never feel the pain.

Buffalo Bill

i was there.and i was there a week later.

its better to have loved and lost, than never to have loved at all.

And ive never stopped loving.

GORGIE RULES

Guest S.U.S.S.

Of course people should watch it, its part of our clubs history, however painful. If happened so should be seen. Ignoring it doesnt make it go away it simply makes the victories all the sweeter. I'll watch it, i'll shed a tear, then be more determined than ever to see us get 3 points at Killie!

Hearts Heritage

The ironic thing was that when Hearts won 3-0 at Tannadice we all rejoiced with Celtic's 1-0 victory at Pittodrie the same day, which confirmed the league in Hearts hands.

The ironic thing was that when Hearts won 3-0 at Tannadice we all rejoiced with Celtic's 1-0 victory at Pittodrie the same day, which confirmed the league in Hearts hands.

cant remember that.i thought it was us utd ,and the pykies

I've got so much to add to this thread I don't think my keyboard could handle it. On that day I cried so hard it was unbelievable. I was 12 at the time and my best mate a Celtic fan, who had listened to the game with me, slunk out without a word as I sobbed my heart out. A hand on heart thank you to him!

What I will say is if they don't watch it tomorrow/tonight (what time is it?) then our first team should be sat through it before they go out against the Killie!

What a season! There is a book. The Boys In Maroo? Read it! Good night!

Buffalo Bill

Absolutley spot on (in my opinion) Being a young guy in his mid 20's I was obviously a wee bit more appreciative of the highs and lows of that season after experiencing the lows of seasons past. Despite the dissapointing ending I'd never swap 85/86 for anything else. In my lifetime it was my first experience of Hearts getting close (we have never replicated that). May 3rd 86 was a nightmare for sure, May 10th was also a low. But let me tell you, on hindsight there were far more individual Saturday highs than there were lows. The Semi against Dundee Utd being a personal fav of mine. Oh for those days again. RIP Wallace Mercer and thanks to Doddie, Sandy Jardine et all

Would have been if we hadn't had such an awful start to the season.

Game 1, Tynecastle Park, Hearts v Sellick, Hearts lead 1-0 (a JC debut goal). 3 or 4 mins into injury time, Paul McStay makes it 1-1. First game of the season, but meant so so much 9 months later

I can't face watching that again. I was there, and I still get an eery feeling when in Dens Park. I think my weekend would be fecked watching that.

But the Hearts players, coaches, directors, pie sellers, programme sellers , groundsman and feckin ticket office workers should be put through the whole story , and realise what HMFC means to us.:sad::sad:

'85-'86 encapsulated exactly what is was to be born a hearts supporter for so many years. ATB.

Without seasons like that, Mike Aitken could never have written the immortal opening words of his report on May 17th 1998 in SOS.

"16th May 1998 was the day when God reached down from heaven and put his

hand on the forehead of every unfortunate wretch who had the misfortune of being born a Hearts supporter and said.....'this one's for you'"

Charlie-Brown

Any Hearts fan that watched that season would tell you that despite the final week it was one of our greatest seasons in modern times - the pain at the end diminishes over time and the happiness of those great victories remains & can be fondly remembered. It was a terrific adventure and achievement - it was only our 3rd season back in the SPL having finished 5th & 7th the 2 previous seasons and the team had been built on a shoe-string, if ever was a team that maximised it's resources then that was it.

Of course people should watch it, its part of our clubs history, however painful. If happened so should be seen. Ignoring it doesnt make it go away it simply makes the victories all the sweeter. I'll watch it, i'll shed a tear, then be more determined than ever to see us get 3 points at Killie!

Amen to that.

I shouldn't be angry at Albert, but I am. Just doing his job.

As for St Mirren. Rot in hell.

I will watch Corrie instead. Cant and will never watch it. Still can hear the sound of the ball hitting the back of the net :( People come on her moaning, they havnt never suffered like we did.. God i sound old..

Walter Kidd

I cant face it. I think about Dens Park every day of my life and will never forget lifting Robbo off the turf with the pair of us in tears. A lot of players still feel let down by Craig Levein over that day. All the others had the same virus and played, while Levein lay in bed in Dunfermline.

The joy that season gave me was gone in 2 minutes. I'll never ever forget. Haunting.

Coronation Street has never looked so good on a Friday night.

Despite what happened at Dens and then the following week, i've still got some great memories from that season.

After an awful start, that was a great season, oh and then an even more awfu lending too, but over all great, the day at Tannadice 3rd last game was pure joy! I remember getting off a supporters bus at Tynie after we had come back from Dens on the last day, there were hunders if not thousands getting off the buses, yet complete silence.

ps - still hate St. Mirren and think they lay down, Frank McGarvey and the empty net, need I say more

Archived