Can I just urge you not to watch 'that was the team that was' 1985/86

Craigieboy

The Real Maroonblood
To be fair, I only started watching Hearts in season 81/82: and I appreciate what you say re the hopelessness of 77-82 etc.

but....

Surely to god that twenty minutes to five on Saturday, May 3rd 1986 was the most stomach-churning, gut-wrenching, kick in balls, shot, killed and set on fire moment in the history of supporting Hearts.

If I'm wrong, then I apologise.

Buffalo Bill

BB I went up by train and on the way back I was hoping for the train to make an unscheduled stop on the Forth Bridge.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As I have said on the other thread about this.

Vlad should be physically restrained into watching this.

It might, might, make him release just what this club means to people involved with it, and why promising success, flashing his crotchless pants at us with it, and then peshing all over us might not be the smartest thing he ever does

My life changed that day..the TV debut nobody wanted.

But 22 years down the line funnily enough I can look back and think.."o well,we could have won the league that day" and it seems like im hearing it from somebody else who supports another team.

Strange feelin:confused:

p.s. im the one with the mullet at the end,light blue jersey and stonewash jeans:eek:

Whitley Jambo

Got back to the Diggers from Dens in record time in the car. Dont remember anything about the journey, it was just a blank. After downing several pints ( also in record time) a smellies glory hunters bus pulled up at the lights outsde the Diggers. The pub emptied in record time and several JTs had to be scraped off the side of the bus as it moved off.

The following week after the cup final we had the best party I can ever recall in the Diggers ! You could hear the singing for miles.

Dagger Is Back
Got back to the Diggers from Dens in record time in the car. Dont remember anything about the journey, it was just a blank. After downing several pints ( also in record time) a smellies glory hunters bus pulled up at the lights outsde the Diggers. The pub emptied in record time and several JTs had to be scraped off the side of the bus as it moved off.

The following week after the cup final we had the best party I can ever recall in the Diggers ! You could hear the singing for miles.[/QUOTE]

Strangely enough it was the reverse for me. In Mackays Centre Spot after Dens and the place was rockin'. I think we were still in shock and felt that we had the cup to come. The following week in exactly the same place was like a wake.

Christ I'm welling up....

Still that night the wife brought a girlfriend home and we had a wee ahem party :dribble:

chester copperpot

Probably my favourite time ever, horrible viewing for the last 2 matches, but apart from that, we were magic.

This sums up my feelings for that season:

robbo3.jpg

World class that season, and the next, and the next, and the next after that.

Guest casper

I won't be watching. It's still very painful to think about that day, and the following week.

Having said that that season gave me some of the best memories of my football life with fantastic wins all over the country. I'll never forget JCs winner at aberdeen, and remember most of that season wasn't covered on the TV.

I was beginning to have similar feelings a couple of years back but.................

The season of what "MITA" been.

Ugly sceens indeed.

I agree with Johnny, why are you still here?

You have Jambo in your username yet admit here to being vermin.

Will someone please show this Kant the door.

• Moderators
I agree with Jhonny, why are you still here?

You have Jambo in your username yet admit here to being vermin.

Will someone please show this Kant the door.

Done :)

Hehe, JKB mod 5 = Legend.

Mod 5 is a legend for his sterling work in eliminating vermin from the board.

But i'm not mod 5! :)

how annoying are hibs fans? dont know why they come on here, havent they got stuff to do/nick?

I missed this programme, although born in 86 I have seen highlights of that and most seasons from the 80's- my dad had an old video in the house and I used to watch it all the time until I lost it (or some hibs fan nicked it).

Point is and I have aked previously with no answer, I missed it and would like to see it, is it being repeated?

Dirk Diggler
how annoying are hibs fans? dont know why they come on here, havent they got stuff to do/nick?

I missed this programme, although born in 86 I have seen highlights of that and most seasons from the 80's- my dad had an old video in the house and I used to watch it all the time until I lost it (or some hibs fan nicked it).

Point is and I have aked previously with no answer, I missed it and would like to see it, is it being repeated?

Tonight 7.30pm.

Don't do it.

I was only 2 1/2 when it happened so it was before my time as a Jambo.

I watched the programme last time around and it brings it home when you see 2 or 3 grown men with tears in their eyes talking about how that season ended.

Of course, all of this is funny for our bitter neighbours, and i'm sure all of us would p!ss ourselves if it happened to them too, the thing is, it never has in my memory and NEVER WILL because they are not good enough to challenge at the top of the league and lets not bother even talking about the Scottish Cup.

chester copperpot
Mod 5 is a legend for his sterling work in eliminating vermin from the board.

But i'm not mod 5! :)

Haha Legend = Legend ;)

Howzat?

maroonlegions

we might have feck it up big time but when was the last time the hobos were as near as us that day, so they can rant and rave all they like for i do not give a feck what they say for we can all hold our heads up high and now they will be forever be in our shadow.:107years::107::spongebob3:

Nelly Terraces

Worst day as Hearts fan by a mile. I was 18 at the time. Went to every single game that season, even the pre seasons. Mind the support's we took to away games, over 10 thou at Tannadice etc. Magic. We were unstoppable on and off the pitch, it was heady days.

Still, that what hurts you, makes you stronger. You just have to pick yourself off the flor and get on with it. The 2 cup wins in 98 and 06 have wiped the pain away from the disaster at Slumdee.

Saying that, if St Mhirren went out of business it would be worth opening the champagne for. They are just pure evil. It's the duty of every Hearts fan to hate them with a passion.

Walter Kidd
Worst day as Hearts fan by a mile. I was 18 at the time. Went to every single game that season, even the pre seasons. Mind the support's we took to away games, over 10 thou at Tannadice etc. Magic. The were unstoppable on and off the pitch, it was heady days.

Still, that what hurts you, makes you stronger. You just have to pick yourself off the flor and get on with it. The 2 cup wins in 98 and 06 have wiped the pain away from the disaster at Slumdee.

Saying that, if St Mhirren went out of business it would be worth opening the champagne for. They are just pure evil. It's the duty of every Hearts fan to hate them with a passion.

If I remember rightly Nells we had some "fun" in the Wellgate.

Nelly Terraces
If I remember rightly Nells we had some "fun" in the Wellgate.

Indeed. Guess we weren't in the best of moods.

chester copperpot
Worst day as Hearts fan by a mile. I was 18 at the time. Went to every single game that season, even the pre seasons. Mind the support's we took to away games, over 10 thou at Tannadice etc. Magic. The were unstoppable on and off the pitch, it was heady days.

Consider my duty done sir. Really really fecking hate em

Walter Kidd
Indeed. Guess we weren't in the best of moods.

Made me chuckle mate. Them were the days.

Consider my duty done sir. Really really fecking hate em

Me too.

The vermin go on about A. Kidd but i couldn't care less about him. He did what he was paid to do.

Those vile Paisley Kants though, different story.

Never forget, never forgive. I'd love to see them do a Gretna.

Nelly Terraces
Me too.

The vermin go on about A. Kidd but i couldn't care less about him. He did what he was paid to do.

Those vile Paisley Kants though, different story.

Never forget, never forgive. I'd love to see them do a Gretna.

For what they did that day, Paisley should just be wiped of the face of the planet. End of.

Walter Kidd

You know what really got me? Frank McGarvey in a St Mirren strip going on the lap of honour with the Celtic players.

Honestly, if I ever meet that ****** I will boot his baws up to his throat and back down again.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
For what they did that day, Paisley should just be wiped of the face of the planet. End of.

It already has been - it's right next to Glasgow

I never seen it last time, and i was only 2 at the time so i feel like i have to watch it. :sad:

Same here except I wasn't even born at the time.

I`ve said it on other threads on this subject, but giving Bill Crombie the game to ref was out of order too.

A Hearts supporting ref given a Hearts title decider? You`d think it`d be an opportunity to hand Hearts the title but Bill was put under the microscope from the vermin through in the West.

He knew any decisions made too easily in our favour would bring re-purcussions in the papers.

If it was Dallas he wouldn`t give a feck if it was Rangers because they are so brassed necked throught there, but through here we are too consciencious for our own good.

Bill went into the Hearts changing room and said no penalties would be given and all the dressing room just looked at eachother in silence.(from Neil Berry)

Remember Big Sandy going down?

Put it this way, if i was ref Hertz would have won the league but i`m not having a go at BC. I know his sons and went to school with one and they are good Jambos.

Patrick Bateman
You know what really got me? Frank McGarvey in a St Mirren strip going on the lap of honour with the Celtic players.

Honestly, if I ever meet that ****** I will boot his baws up to his throat and back down again.

If its any consolation WK, I recall a KBer by the name of Floyd who played 5s against McGarvey. Frankie boy clocked Floyd's hearts shorts and started laughing, Floyd responded by saying (something along the lines of..) "Keep laughing McGarvey, cause this is the closest you'll get to professional football again" whilst also launching a tirade against his wife and her profession ;) McGarvey took a swing, missed and promptly received a smack in the jaw, sparking a mass brawl.

Magic. Its just one of these stories I've not forgotten.

we might have feck it up big time but when was the last time the hobos were as near as us that day, so they can rant and rave all they like for i do not give a feck what they say for we can all hold our heads up high and now they will be forever be in our shadow.:107years::107::spongebob3:

They're all creaming themselves over on flumps.net ( especially man-child mikey ) setting their wee video recorders and such like and getting the tissues ready for a chugathon over what remains the biggest cause for celebration all of them have ever seen in their football lives.

I'll take 2 cup final wins any day over celebrating that lot's failure.

Sad inadequate bitter losers the lot of them.

:107years:

Denny Crane

I'll be watching. OK the ending aint too great but at the time, as a 12-year-old living in England, no one ever asked "who" when told which team I supported again after that fantastic run.

I will be watching the programme again with pride. OK, it went horribly wrong in the last 10 mins of the season, but what a season up until then!!! That team of the time encapsulated what Hearts is all about....team spirit & togetherness.

Personally, I think Stevie Frail should be sitting the current squad of players down to watch this programme together, as it may make some of them realise what playing for Heart of Midlothian Football Club is all about!!

The interview with Alex McDonald gets me every time. The emotion & passion in his voice 20 odd years on shows the hurt it caused him & his players at the time, & ever since!!

HMFC 'til I die....

St Mirren, Frank McGarvey, Celtic, Goal difference, would have meant **** all, had we not fallen ourselves.

Walter Kidd

Oh John Colquhoun is on the wing

Oh can you hear the Hearts fans sing

And when he swings it in the middle

Big Sandy Clark just knocks it in

Happy Days indeed.

Can't bring myself to watch it.

I was also at Tynie in 1965 when we lost the league title to Killie.

Wept like a wee lassie on both occasions.

I'd like to be a man now . . .

Nelly Terraces
Made me chuckle mate. Them were the days.

Not wrong there fella. Blinding they were.

Get in queue behind me for that job.

Buffalo Bill

The team of 85/86 were my heroes.

Gary, Henry, Robbo, Craig, JC et al.

I feel nothing but pride.

Buffalo Bill

I'll be watching it again. I was 11 at the time and remember pretty clearly the events of the day. My abiding memory of the day was feeling dissapointed, but nothing more, and not understanding why my uncle, grandad and the other blokes were so down and why there was men crying.

As each subsequent year went by I've appreciated why that day had been so emotional for them and the others. By the time of the '98 Cup Final I was now one of them, daring to dream about just how close a trophy could be.

When you're young and naive you think 'ah well there's always next year', but as the years go by you begin to wonder if it will even happen. I suspect those of a certain age at Dens Park must have felt that.

And I totally agree that the current squad could do worse that watch the programme.

H.M.F.C. 1874

It was heartbreaking but when the dust settled there was certainly some sense of pride, and it did make 98 all the sweeter. There's actually something quite perverse that Hibs fans will be watching to "rub it in" but that just makes me feel slightly superior and smug. Their greatest achievement is us not winning the league?!

:107years:

bigbryanthejambo

They could make a documentary about the cleaners cleaning the function suites at Tynie and I'd watch it.

Never knowingly will the Jambos be on the telly and I'm not glued to it.

The Heart and Soul.

gowestjambo
Can't bring myself to watch it.

I was also at Tynie in 1965 when we lost the league title to Killie.

Wept like a wee lassie on both occasions.

I'd like to be a man now . . .

Exactly, some of us have still not got over losing the League on the last day to Kilmarnock - on Goal Average!!

Hearts were instrumental in having it changed to Goal Difference!

ps if they had worked the opposite way - We would have won both Leagues!!

I was only one at the time, but knew most of the details. I watched the programme when it was first on and was more interested than anything else. We have it on Sky+ and I decided to take a look at it again the other day. It's not one for repeat viewings. Utterly heartbreaking.

'85-'86 encapsulated exactly what is was to be born a hearts supporter for so many years. ATB.

Without seasons like that, Mike Aitken could never have written the immortal opening words of his report on May 17th 1998 in SOS.

"16th May 1998 was the day when God reached down from heaven and put his

hand on the forehead of every unfortunate wretch who had the misfortune of being born a Hearts supporter and said.....'this one's for you'"

Oh crikey, it's started already.....

I just read that and bang...tears...many of...in the middle of the office. Oops. I've never seen that quote before but it's absolutely great, really hits a nerve though...obviously...

I think I need to steer clear of this thread until I get home. Heh.

:blush:

Archived