Can I just urge you not to watch 'that was the team that was' 1985/86

Craigieboy

The last game at Dens is just a misty memory to me..perhaps my brain switches off whenever I am reminded of it.

My memory of that season? A togetherness , determination and team spirit I have never witnessed before or since, in ANY team. That spirit swelled with each passing game and the fans were drawn into it and became part of a CLUB togetherness that nearly did the impossible.

With a few notable exceptions, the players were not great individuals, but if you ever need to see how a strong manager can make a team much stronger than the sum of its individual players, then that was it.

Never mind that we eventually lost out. IMH we were the moral victors that season and, long after OF fans have forgotten the numerous titles and cups they win, I will remember in great detail the season of 1985-86 with immense pride..........the hurt at losing the title so cruelly made the joy of winning the cup in 1998 ever more tumultuous. OF fans will never experience such joy as I did in 1998 - after bawling myself hoarse and chewing my nails to the quick for 90 minutes, I had no real idea how I would react when the final whistle blew..........when it did I (and many fans around me) just burst into tears of unbridled joy. The ghost of 1986 was exhorcised in an instant and I like to think that was due, ironically, to the "failure" at Dens of the Robertsons Colquhouns, Clarks, Mackays and Whittakers of the 1986. Never will I be more proud to celebrate "failure" again.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Walter Kidd
The last game at Dens is just a misty memory to me..perhaps my brain switches off whenever I am reminded of it.

My memory of that season? A togetherness , determination and team spirit I have never witnessed before or since, in ANY team. That spirit swelled with each passing game and the fans were drawn into it and became part of a CLUB togetherness that nearly did the impossible.

With a few notable exceptions, the players were not great individuals, but if you ever need to see how a strong manager can make a team much stronger than the sum of its individual players, then that was it.

Never mind that we eventually lost out. IMH we were the moral victors that season and, long after OF fans have forgotten the numerous titles and cups they win, I will remember in great detail the season of 1985-86 with immense pride..........the hurt at losing the title so cruelly made the joy of winning the cup in 1998 ever more tumultuous. OF fans will never experience such joy as I did in 1998 - after bawling myself hoarse and chewing my nails to the quick for 90 minutes, I had no real idea how I would react when the final whistle blew..........when it did I (and many fans around me) just burst into tears of unbridled joy. The ghost of 1986 was exhorcised in an instant and I like to think that was due, ironically, to the "failure" at Dens of the Robertsons Colquhouns, Clarks, Mackays and Whittakers of the 1986. Never will I be more proud to celebrate "failure" again.

Lovely post mate. Just lovely. RIP Brian Whittaker and Wallace Mercer.

For those that weren't there, it is practically impossible to understand, or even begin to feel how awful that day was. I can remember coming out of the game and seeing grown men wandering in a daze, slouched against garden walls.. sitting in the gutter.. nearly all of us with tears in our eyes. How fate could play such a cruel trick was barely understandable. Even though we had a cup final the following week, you just knew it was not going to happen. That day still brings back the pain, but I'll never forget that wonderful season ... and to me it even outshone our achievements of 05/06

Can't do it. Like a great film with a tragic ending, I find it hard to watch more than once. Just too depressing.

i was there.and i was there a week later.

its better to have loved and lost, than never to have loved at all.

And ive never stopped loving.

GORGIE RULES

Yep, never missed a game that season(and it started pretty badly!), and I agree Towser, I wouldn't swap it for the world, but...it still hurts like hell! It won't be erased until the day we lift that league title...and we will...I believe we will, in my lifetime...

Lynn:ninja:

Yep, never missed a game that season(and it started pretty badly!), and I agree Towser, I wouldn't swap it for the world, but...it still hurts like hell! It won't be erased until the day we lift that league title...and we will...I believe we will, in my lifetime...Lynn:ninja:

But what about in mine Lynn ?

Got back to the Diggers from Dens in record time in the car. Dont remember anything about the journey, it was just a blank. After downing several pints ( also in record time) a smellies glory hunters bus pulled up at the lights outsde the Diggers. The pub emptied in record time and several JTs had to be scraped off the side of the bus as it moved off.

The following week after the cup final we had the best party I can ever recall in the Diggers ! You could hear the singing for miles.

I was in the Diggers that night, and the feeling after the huge disappointments, was that we had a pride in a Hearts team which came from nowhere, and almost create the biggest achievement in my lifetime. We were having a party no matter what had happened a few hours earlier.

After the cup final the Hearts fans refused to leave the stadium and let the Aberdeen fans celebrate their cup win. (just like fester road).

Every Hearts fan should be proud of the team of '86'.;);)

But what about in mine Lynn ?

I don't know how old you are Davy, but I'm in my mid 40's, and I live in hope that we'll do it before I pop my clogs. It's the only thing that'll erase 1986 from my memory...although the cup final win in '98 is just such a precious memory, even though I was over 6,000 miles away at the time. My friend and I cried buckets of happiness over the phone at 4am(Japan time), that wonderfull day/night. Thank you JJ and that team of '98!

Lynn:ninja:

Strangely the Sky Guide isn't showing it as on. Are the BBC saving us the pain?

hmm i cant find it either..:confused:

The cruckie cookie

Can't watch it again as it's too tough.

Some of my Hibby mates rub it in when they talk of it and the point we lost at Easter Road was the one that did us.

I seen it as the virus that was doing the rounds at Tynie in the week leading up to the match and the players just couldn't go that last 100 yards.

Adi Dassler

My first full season.

The team i fell in love with, the club i fell in love with.

Floods of tears at Dens as a 6 year old who's world had just been shattered by a short fat man with curly hair. I didn't really understand it then and i still don't now. My dad and my uncles crying. Everyone, it seamed, in tears. It's a terrible terrible memory.

But it instilled in me something that i will carry with me to the grave.

I can't really put into words what that is but it will stay with me forever.

That feeling of being "a Hearts Supporter".

F *k everyone else. Dundee. St Mirren. Celtic. Hibs. F *k them all.

Weeks? Weeks? Weeks to get over? It took almost 12 frickin years!

i was their at tynie in 1965 when we lost the league to killie, i was there at dens when we lost the league to celtic............

it still hurts.........BIG TIME.

Was one of the saddest days of my life. The expectations were enormous. Whether I can mention the referee's name I don't know, but we were denied a blatant penalty when Sandy Clark brought down. How the **** could you miss that!!! I will never forgive St. Mirren to the day I die. They lay down to the unwashed. On the way back from Dens, there were some Hobo sprogs at Cramond - flags waving. I only hope they were there 12 years later when they got relegated. Have I said I despise St Mirren? Can't say it enough. Bitter - naw. The Libby Inn that night was not a good place to be.

PS I STILL DESPISE ST MIRREN AND EVERYTHING CONNECTED TO THEM.

Was one of the saddest days of my life. The expectations were enormous. Whether I can mention the referee's name I don't know, but we were denied a blatant penalty when Sandy Clark brought down. How the **** could you miss that!!! I will never forgive St. Mirren to the day I die. They lay down to the unwashed. On the way back from Dens, there were some Hobo sprogs at Cramond - flags waving. I only hope they were there 12 years later when they got relegated. Have I said I despise St Mirren? Can't say it enough. Bitter - naw. The Libby Inn that night was not a good place to be.

PS I STILL DESPISE ST MIRREN AND EVERYTHING CONNECTED TO THEM.

AND ALWAYS WILL

I'll definately be watching it. I wasn't born when it happened, 2 or so months out, and have never seen the programme before.

I can't even imagine the pain you guys went through on that final day, but I'm sure supporters around my age would kill for a season like that. The stories I've been told about the season doesn't come close to anything I've seen supporting Hearts. I just hope we can repeat that season, and this time go one better.

jambohhearts2006

good evening guys. i have seen some of it before but would like to watch it again. im looking thru the listing s on sky the now and dont see it anywhere. i might be going mental but i cant see it. any help wopuld be appreciated

Buffalo Bill
The loss of the league to Kilmarnock (on goal average) on the final day some twenty years earlier, was pretty hard to bear - especially as we were at home and could even have afforded a one goal defeat. I walked all the way home to give time for my tears to dry up before I saw my Dad.

What maybe made it easier was that I was only thirteen at the time and had the optimism of youth and also that it came at the back end of a decade of regular trophy wins - so we had every reason to believe that another cup or championship would come along fairly soon thereafter. If I'd known then that we wouldn't win another trophy until 1998, I might have been more suicidal.

When we lost again on the last day in '86 and then the cup a week later, I was in my mid-thirties. I honestly thought then I'd go to the grave without seeing another Hearts trophy win and felt especially sorry for my sons.

I still don't think we'll see another championship.

Things could be worse though. Imagine being a hobo!

Hammy, I don't think a Champonship is beyond us.

Rantic will only ever be able to attract players of a certain calibre, and if we can cultivate a 85/86 spirit (or a 97/98 or a 05/06), then we can can at least be 'in position' to have a real ****ing good go.

I don't think it needs a genius to do it. We just need the right men and the right approach.

And if that means cup victories (only) on Gorgie Road, I'll see you there on the corner, spraying the bubbly. :)

All the best,

Buffalo Bill

John Findlay

When we lost the league to Kilmarnock in 1965 I was just 2yrs old. My father took me to my first Hearts game in December 1965. 2yrs and 8 months old I was. So that title loss was lost on me.

Fast forward to season 1985/86. I was serving onboard HMS Fife at the time and I was the only Hearts supporter onboard.

I only managed to get to two games that season. One against Hibs at Tynecastle in the September when we won 2-1. I only made that game as the Fife was on a visit to ironically enough Dundee. I got the train down and met my dad in the Haymarket Bar before going to the game.

My only other game was the cup final against Aberdeen.

To May the third. I had only become a father four weeks previously on Saturday April the 5th of all days. My then wife and I had gone into St Mary's maternity hospital at 1pm in the afternoon. If anyone knows Portsmouth at all. St Mary's hospital is only a goal kick away from the North Stand(the one opposite the TV cameras) at Fratton Park. Portsmouth were playing Leeds that day. I could see the supporters walking through the hospital grounds to get to the match. My thoughts were 500 miles north and Hampden Park.

Well my daughter did not come into the world until 7:50pm and they wheeled in a payphone for me to use. I phoned my dad and the conversation went. Congratulations dad your first grandchild has been born. 7lbs 8oz a wee lassie. What was the score. He informed that Hearts had won 1-0 and JC has scored. That made my day. I was as pleased with that news as I was at becoming a dad. As God is my witness when I went to register her birth I was there for 1 and a half hours as I was swithering whether to give my daughter the middle names John Colquhoun instead of the Nicole myself and wife had agreed. In the end her name was registered as Rebekah, Nicole Findlay. I chickened out.

Back to May the third. I had the radio on and in those days the football coverage was done by Radio2 for England but there was the occasional report from one Roddy Forsythe at Dens Park and I vividly remember him saying at Half-time that Hearts had been the better team and should have had a penalty but were on course to be champions for the first time in 26yrs.

With 20minutes to go my daughter starts crying and I am holding her trying to comfort her when my wife announces from the Kitchen that there has been a goal at Dundee and at that. Des Lynam says on Grandstand that Dundee are 1-0 up but, Hearts can still be champs. A few minutes later my wife announces another goal on the radio from Dundee and I immediately think that the Hearts have equalised but, right on queue Des once again says Dundee are now 2up and the title is slipping from Hearts and going to Celtic.

I give up trying to stop my daughter crying and instead join with her. My wife comes through from the kitchen and cant believe what she is seeing. She utters those words that only a woman can. It's only a game. Although she was to get into football 10yrs later. She will never understand what it meant to me that day. I know Hearts lost and it was in our hands but when the final score from St Mirren came in. My first thought straight away was the had laying down to Celtic and that Celtic had bought them off. It is probably 100%wrong but, I will always believe it to be the case. No it's not wrong they did by St Mirren off.

I have seen the programme before and I will watch again tonight because you really dont realise just how much you miss the Hearts until you are away from Edinbugh and are unable to attend games in the way you had before you left. I had attended games from 1965 to 1979 avidly.

As one who determined that he was indeed a Hearts fanatic the day that Hibs beat us 0-7 at Tynecastle, seeing us lose the league and the cup within a matter of seven days hurt, hurt like hell but, I will never stop being a Hearts supporter, Vladimir Romanov et al.

Away up in Gorgie at Tynecastle Park there's a wee fitbaw team that aye makes it mark. We have been making our mark since 1874. Nowhere as much as we would all like but as they say. Whae's like us, damn few and they're aw deid.

John

Charlie-Brown

Between 1985-86 and 1991-92 in those 7 seasons Hearts finished 2nd in the SPL three times - we also finished 3rd once - the other seasons we finished 5th twice and 6th once - strangely the years we did relatively worse in the league was the seasons we were playing in Europe - however we did get to the quarter final of the UEFA Cup in 1989 and also beat Bayern Munich at Tynecastle - we got to several Hampden semi finals and of course the 1986 Scottish Cup final. Our record over Hibernian in those years was tremendous. :)

People think we because we didn't win anything in those years we were failure's but we weren't really - although maybe in the cups we should have won something - the club was run very well by Mercer - had virtually no debt and we made some good profits in the transfer market that allowed us to buy other players and keep good players at the club.

Our league record over those seasons was terrific - Rangers massive financial advantage virtually ensured them the title every year - however we maximised our resources then better than at any other time since in the modern era.

asomerville

I will watch it as I was living in Middlesbrough with young kids so was at only a few games. Everyone who have have Heart Of Midlothian in their blood should be proud of the team that season. This season sums up a normal season for Hearts so we should enjoy any great season as we did 2 years ago.

God knows how it was like for you guys that were there.

Awful mate.:sad:

I was only 15 at the time,but I swear something died in me that day.

"Its only a game" they say...

maroonlegions

might watch it then body swerve it when the last game against Dundee comes on .:rolleyes::P;):107years::107years:

I had just arrived back from Germany after leaving the Army on the wednesday before our last home game of the season against Clydebank,I remember the place was buzzing and a good win would put it out of the Tics reach.But we really did look nervous,I think it was Gary MacKay who eventually scored and then the place went mental,suddenly an old guy put his hand on my shoulder and told me to calm down as we still had to go to Dens the following week. I remember him muttering something about 65,but I told him not to be such a pessimist.

So I have to admit I think a wee bit of him washed over me because I too have become a bit pesimistic and will not take anything for granted as far as Hearts are concerned.

I watched it once I don't think I could watch it again.

Jimmy McNulty
Game 1, Tynecastle Park, Hearts v Sellick, Hearts lead 1-0 (a JC debut goal). 3 or 4 mins into injury time, Paul McStay makes it 1-1. First game of the season, but meant so so much 9 months later

Tell me about it.

I was ball boy behind Bonnar's goal. I was wasting time retrieving the ball from behind the advertising boards when Bonnar shoved me out of the way to get the ball.

Up the field it went, and they scored. Man, was I sick....

Even the flippin' Sunday Mail had it scored in the 92nd minute. (Back in the days when I bought and read that rubbish)

I had just arrived back from Germany after leaving the Army on the wednesday before our last home game of the season against Clydebank,I remember the place was buzzing and a good win would put it out of the Tics reach.But we really did look nervous,I think it was Gary MacKay who eventually scored and then the place went mental,suddenly an old guy put his hand on my shoulder and told me to calm down as we still had to go to Dens the following week. I remember him muttering something about 65,but I told him not to be such a pessimist.

So I have to admit I think a wee bit of him washed over me because I too have become a bit pesimistic and will not take anything for granted as far as Hearts are concerned.

I watched it once I don't think I could watch it again.[/quote

You are correct , it was Gary MacKay against Clydebank. Your admission that you have become a pessimist whilst/during/because of watching Hearts happens to us all eventually.

portobellojambo1
might watch it then body swerve it when the last game against Dundee comes on .:rolleyes::P;):107years::107years:

Have had a look at tonight's TV schedules (on Sky) for BBC1, BBC2, BBC3 and BBC4 and as far as I can see this programme is not listed. Has it been cancelled/re-scheduled ?

gowestjambo
Have had a look at tonight's TV schedules (on Sky) for BBC1, BBC2, BBC3 and BBC4 and as far as I can see this programme is not listed. Has it been cancelled/re-scheduled ?

Try the HORROR Channel !!!!

In the paper it says it is on from 7:30pm - 8pm, I will have to tape it as I am working, note to the older Jambos amongst us that were there on those fateful days, doin't watch the end, you will surely shed a tear! I know I did last time I watched it.

it is on bbc1 in place of chemical dealers it says its on freeview

willie wallace

Hope it has been cancelled.

Jimmy McNulty

Saying that, if St Mhirren went out of business it would be worth opening the champagne for. They are just pure evil. It's the duty of every Hearts fan to hate them with a passion.

Word.

We should have got the point at Dens. But the way St Mirren and their celtic-loving players layed down for Celtic typified the corruptness that is Scottish football.

It was so evident, so blatent, yet nobody at the SFA even thought of looking into it.

weegie jambo

Dont think I can watch it again. Worse day ever as a Jambo and one that also put several nails in the coffin of my failing marriage!

Still hate St Midden with a passion.

Its the transatlantic sessions on BBC4 for me!

Dirk Diggler

Yes PJ1.

I checked this morning on the SKY+ listings and it was due to be screened at 7.30pm.

It looks like it has now been cancelled for 'Chemical Dealers.'

Guest juvehearts

i hope it on because ive got sky & whats on next is................

chemical delers - investigates.

a bbc scotland special.

awadooningorgie2

I was a 20 year old student at Aberdeen that year. Failed two exams as I was away at footie every weekend and simply could not concentrate through the week. It was more than amazing.

its been replaced by sum pishy program about drugs.

this is the second time its been moved.

**** you bbc

Yes PJ1.

I checked this morning on the SKY+ listings and it was due to be screened at 7.30pm.

It looks like it has now been cancelled for 'Chemical Dealers.'

looks like its cancelled

Pete Seeger

Have they cancelled it? Ferkin joke, I've planned me ferkin night around this. Why;'s it cancelled?

Jimmy McNulty

At least the Hobos who set their VCRs will still record something relevant to their junkie way of life.

Pete Seeger

Just called the number on the link an gave the weegie fud it tight down the phone. Pathetic. I could understand it if it was for something important. But they've replaced it with garbage. The weegie say's they're not planning to re schedule it. Bell ends

maroonlegions
At least the Hobos who set their VCRs will still record something relevant to their junkie way of life.

:107years::107years:, was thinking that myself, ha ha , mind you have they any VCRs .:107years:

:107years::107years:, was thinking that myself, ha ha , mind you have they any VCRs .:107years:

Does anyone have a VCR now?!?! lol

Does anyone have a VCR now?!?! lol

i have a vcr but it has a recordable dvd attached to it lol:p:p

Indeed a lovely post,I was in the enclosure at dens with my dad(rip) and uncle as a raw 16 year old,having being a stalwart that whole season,although very cruel ,the scottish cup final the next week included,it certainly made the 98 final very special,indeed:)

Archived