6?2(1+2)= ?

Ragnar

davemclaren

Some danders getting up on this thread...*cracks open a beer and settles in to be entertained* :lol:

Craigie is an emotional mathematician... :lol:

To put it another way,

Parenthesis first so....6?2(1+2) becomes 6?2(3)or 6 ? 2 x 3.

Order of Operations says that Multiplication and Division are equal so you work left to right

6?2(3)

6?2 first which gives 3(3) = 9

QED :thumbsup:

• Replies 512
  • Created
  • Last Reply
craigie jambo

Dunno why this thread's still going on. The debate ended when I said the answer was 1 - and just as importantly, Picard said it was 9. :vrface:

Because Picard's always wrong, and I - a couple of boo-boos on the snooker thread notwithstanding - am always right. :thumbsup:

Believe me, I was going to cite you earlier (and the 'mathematician') but one thing...

davemclaren

Why are you detaching (3) from the 2?

Because x(y) is the same as x * Y, there was never any attachment.

Mid Calder Jambo

Craigie is an emotional mathematician... :lol:

To put it another way,

Parenthesis first so....6?2(1+2) becomes 6?2(3)or 6 ? 2 x 3.

Order of Operations says that Multiplication and Division are equal so you work left to right

6?2(3)

6?2 first which gives 3(3) = 9

QED :thumbsup:

Dave your on the pull again

6 divided by 2 times 3 is correct. The big but here is that the 2 times 3 must go under the line. there could be any number of operations after the first division sign. They all go under the line. The number above the line is divided by the final solution under the line, which in this case is 6. Answer = 1

Because x(y) is the same as x * Y, there was never any attachment.

/

2(1+2)

You cannot drop the (3) and pick it back up after the division. That isn't BODMAS.

davemclaren

6 divided by 2 times 3 is correct. The big but here is that the 2 times 3 must go under the line. there could be any number of operations after the first division sign. They all go under the line. The number above the line is divided by the final solution under the line, which in this case is 6. Answer = 1

Without parenthisis both operators ( / and * ) are equal and you work left to right.

Come to one of my math lectures and I'll explain further. :lol:

B = RESOLVE BRACKETS .. Not simplify them... you need to resolve the brackets by multiplying the bracket with its multiplier first...

i.e, 2x(1+2) this needs to be done first.. its in the rules... B!

Guest C00l K1d

:rofl:

Can anyone in the "1" camp actually provide any evidence at all that

6/2(1+2) = 1

apart from their own opinion?

I love how calculators, spreadsheet programs and maths websites are all apparently 'wrong!' :) :) :) :)

Because when you're inputting it into the calculator it changes it to (6/2)(1+2), well it did when i did anyway and it gives you 9.

But the mistake the 9 people as i said earlier are they are forgetting to multiply the bracket.

When you get to here, 6/2(3) the bracket is only simplified and still needs to be multiplied out, the (3) directly relates to the 2.

So then you get 2(3) which is 6. Therefor 6/6.

Questions like this are always in the non calculator paper... maybe this is why lol

Mid Calder Jambo

Without parenthisis both operators ( / and * ) are equal and you work left to right.

is it BYOB :lol:

jesus_crying.jpg

craigie jambo

:lol:

davemclaren

Ach, I'm off to get the girls now from their Royal Wedding bash so I'll accept either answer on your papers, given the original expression is imprecisely set.

:huh:

Mid Calder Jambo

Ach, I'm off to get the girls now from their Royal Wedding bash so I'll accept either answer on your papers, given the original expression is imprecisely set.

And I'm away to the Bull. See you all in there, in parenthisis

craigie jambo

OK, shall I call you a Taxi

What line??? :)

There isn't a fraction bar in the sum!

And on no maths website explaining order of calculation can I see anything which says "before you start calculating, turn it into a fraction!" :facepalm:

Mid Calder Jambo

And on no maths website explaining order of calculation can I see anything which says "before you start calculating, turn it into a fraction!" :facepalm:

Let me go slowly here. The number 6 is divided by (that means whatever it is being divided by can go under the line as if it was a fraction) the sum of the number 2 multiplied by the number one and the number 2 multiplied by the number 2. Simples.

What do you mean turning it into a fraction? Do you not have any understanding of maths at all?

Your entire argument seems to be based on the result of what you put in a calculator, but that doesn't work if you're putting the information into the calculator wrong. Learn how to use one, then try it again and see if you still end up with 9.

[modedit]

craigie jambo

Can anyone in the "1" camp actually provide any evidence at all that

6/2(1+2) = 1

apart from their own opinion?

I love how calculators, spreadsheet programs and maths websites are all apparently 'wrong!' :) :) :) :)

It's the GIGO principle; look it up

You put in garbage, You get garbage out

I think it must be down to how you were taught in school what is part of the bracket, what's outside, what's attached etc.

State your answer and either <24 , 25-39 or 40+

9 <24

My theory is the majority of the older posters believe it's 1 and the younger posters believe it's 9.

I think it must be down to how you were taught in school what is part of the bracket, what's outside, what's attached etc.

9 <24

My theory is the majority of the older posters believe it's 1 and the younger posters believe it's 9.

I'm 19, and quite a lot of the posters saying 1 are of a similar age.

craigie jambo

9 <24

So what's your answer, Statto?

Guest C00l K1d

I'm 19, and quite a lot of the posters saying 1 are of a similar age.

Yep i'm a couple years younger and getting 1.

El profesor seems to be forgetting that

4/2

is the exact same at

-

craigie jambo

I think it's 9.

your bold-bracketed expression is no different to humans than than the original

your bold-bracketed expression is no different to humans than than the original

Correct, a calculator cannot interpret that sum if you put it in exactly like it is in the OP. That doesn't mean you need to change the sum to fit an answer, it just means that you need to either take it in stages or make proper use of parentheses to distinguish between different parts of a sum. If you don't do this, you end up with an error, in this case it's 9.

Like I said earlier it's an overreliance on a calculator and not understanding how to use one correctly.

craigie jambo

Correct, a calculator cannot interpret that sum if you put it in exactly like it is in the OP. That doesn't mean you need to change the sum to fit an answer, it just means that you need to either take it in stages or make proper use of parentheses to distinguish between different parts of a sum. If you don't do this, you end up with an error, in this case it's 9.

Like I said earlier it's an overreliance on a calculator and not understanding how to use one correctly.

Correct

Dave, look at the correct spelling in bold

:)

davemclaren

Correct

Dave, look at the correct spelling in bold

So it's an English lesson as well... :rolleyes:

I still say it's 9 and nothing on here has convinced me otherwise.

Any man that needs a calculator to do a spot of basic, single-digit arithmetic really shouldn't be allowed to have a calculator.

While you've got it, try: (2002-(299 x 3)) x 8 x 17

When you're finished, turn the calculator upside down.

for the avoidance of doubt, i didn't need a calculator as i already know it's 9. using the calculators was an exercise to see what they came up with, seeing as you said that google, excel and everyone saying 1 was wrong.

:verysmug:

Let me go slowly here. The number 6 is divided by (that means whatever it is being divided by can go under the line as if it was a fraction) the sum of the number 2 multiplied by the number one and the number 2 multiplied by the number 2. Simples.

:biggrin:

BoJack Horseman

There are a few ways to lay out a division sum. How about this one?

JRvSw.jpg

aside from the fact that the answer is 9, i have to add that the '1 camp' have by and large been quite obnoxious in this affair.

i reckon there's a definite underlying reason for this. this is going deeper than pure arithmetic now. this thread is telling us something about the general psychology of the hopelessly delusional.

it makes me sad.

<_<

but i'm more than happy to take solace in knowing that the answer is 9.

Nothing obnoxious about being right and pointing it out when folk come out with 9 "BECUZ ME CULCLATER SAID SO". :smuggy:

craigie jambo

for the avoidance of doubt, i didn't need a calculator as i already know it's 9. using the calculators was an exercise to see what they came up with, seeing as you said that google, excel and everyone saying 1 was wrong.

aside from the fact that the answer is 9, i have to add that the '1 camp' have by and large been quite obnoxious in this affair.

i reckon there's a definite underlying reason for this. this is going deeper than pure arithmetic now. this thread is telling us something about the general psychology of the hopelessly delusional.

it makes me sad.

<_<

but i'm more than happy to take solace in knowing that the answer is 9.

giraffe03.jpg

Nothing obnoxious about being right and pointing it out when folk come out with 9 "BECUZ ME CULCLATER SAID SO". :smuggy:

poor retort once more it must be said. :smug:

one glance at the beginnings of the thread will alert one to the fact that i arrived at the correct answer from the outset. it is only when people started questioning google, excel, calculators and what-not that i decided to see what happened when one was used.

it's as clear as day that once the brackets have been resolved that you work the sum from left to right, multiplication and division not over-riding each other, and that the simplified sum becomes 6 / 2 x 3.

you either know it and accept it or you don't.

craigie jambo

poor retort once more it must be said. :smug:

one glance at the beginnings of the thread will alert one to the fact that i arrived at the correct answer from the outset. it is only when people started questioning google, excel, calculators and what-not that i decided to see what happened when one was used.

it's as clear as day that once the brackets have been resolved that you work the sum from left to right, multiplication and division not over-riding each other, and that the simplified sum becomes 6 / 2 x 3.

you either know it and accept it or you don't.

giraffe03.jpg

Guest Ultraviolet Catastrophe

Jim, they're being obnoxious because it's astonishing that some of you are getting 9 when the calculations involved are incredibly simple.

This is a BODMAS calculation, BODMAS means Brackets, Other, Division, Multiplication, Addition, Subtraction. This tells you that in simple calculations to do Brackets first then Division then Multiplication then Addition then Subtraction. Other means things like Squaring, Cubing or Square-Rooting. Sometime BIDMAS is used instead of BODMAS where the I stands for Index. Index means powers like square and cube.

So...

1 + 2 = 3

6 / 2 = 3

3 x 3 = 9

1 is wrong, 9 is right. You can close the thread now :thumbsup:

Jim, they're being obnoxious because it's astonishing that some of you are getting 9 when the calculations involved are incredibly simple.

an apparent simplicity might lead the wrong respondents to believe it's astonishing. if you're incredibly wrong then it stands to reason that the simplicity of it will lead you to believe that.

craigie jambo

NAIL. HEAD.

B)

craigie jambo

To get 1 would the calculation not have to be

6/(2*(1+2)) ?

Same as original

To get 1 would the calculation not have to be

6/(2*(1+2)) ?

Which is essentially what it is, the extra parentheses around the 2(1+2) are required on a calculator to distinguish between the top and bottom lines of the sum. The way the people who get 9 are working it is (6/2) (1+2).

PsychocAndy

I'm 46 and the answer is still 9.

I have got to this figure without the help of a computer, calculator or abacus.

Guest Ultraviolet Catastrophe

an apparent simplicity might lead the wrong respondents to believe it's astonishing. if you're incredibly wrong then it stands to reason that the simplicity of it will lead you to believe that.

Jim, shut up. :D

It's 1. If you don't believe me, put in a = 6, b = 2, c = 1 and evaluate the expression using basic algebra. The resulting expression forces you to resolve the denominator first, as if there was any ambiguity in the first place.

Archived