6?2(1+2)= ?

Ragnar

No ...

You have to do the brackets first. Thats the rules... 2(x+y) has to become 2x+2y regardless of what figures x and y represent. - This is the simplest way the brackets can be shown.

as for Missed98... you obviously missed a lot more than a cup final, looks like you never went to school..

Brackets first... so you will aways be left with 6/(2x+2y). Its really really simple.... The 2 belongs to the brackets. End of. FACT!

Ok Big, why do you keep ignoring my point that you have to do what is INSIDE the brackets first, multiplying what's inside the brackets by 2 is implying that this multiplication (outside the bracket) takes precedence of the division before it. It clearly doesn't. FACT END OF !

• Replies 512
  • Created
  • Last Reply

laugh.giflaugh.gif

I'm willing to admit a mistake but Mr 9..you are not obviouslywhistling.gif

Excuse me i admitted my mistake, you had to be SHOWN yours :whistling:

Amen. Close the thread before Missed98 spouts any more. There is a real danger of children's education being compromised.

Once again, thanks for your input. Your arguments are so succinct and clear it's hard for me to counter them.

Ok Big, why do you keep ignoring my point that you have to do what is INSIDE the brackets first, multiplying what's inside the brackets by 2 is implying that this multiplication (outside the bracket) takes precedence of the division before it. It clearly doesn't. FACT END OF !

But your point of doing whats inside the brackets first is not taking care of the brackets. Simplifying the brackets is the first point...

Be it 2(x+y) or 2(1+2) .. the 2 is part of the brackets and tells us that everything in the brackets has to be multiplied by 2 in order to simplify it.. EG - 2(x+y) = 2x + 2y and the same with 2(1+2) = 2 + 4..

So in order to simplify the brackets you must remove do the 2x each component first.

I am not ignoring your point.. I am pointing out that you have missed the point of your point.

southside1874

Excuse me i admitted my mistake, you had to be SHOWN yours :whistling:

No you edited your post in the hope that no one had seen your previous answerwhistling.gif

6?2(1+2)= ?

Expand the brackets

6 ? 2x1 + 2x2 =6?2+4

BUMDAS

6?2=3

so

3+4=7

I'm switching allegiance to camp 7.

Stick your 1 and your 9 people, this is the correct answer.

But your point of doing whats inside the brackets first is not taking care of the brackets. Simplifying the brackets is the first point...

Be it 2(x+y) or 2(1+2) .. the 2 is part of the brackets and tells us that everything in the brackets has to be multiplied by 2 in order to simplify it.. EG - 2(x+y) = 2x + 2y and the same with 2(1+2) = 2 + 4..

So in order to simplify the brackets you must remove do the 2x each component first.

I am not ignoring your point.. I am pointing out that you have missed the point of your point.

No you're missing the point, if you want to simplify the brackets you have to multiply them by 6/2, once again why are you multiplying before the division????

No you're missing the point, if you want to simplify the brackets you have to multiply them by 6/2, once again why are you multiplying before the division????

I havnt got to multiplication or division yet. In fact there is no multiplication in this equation. I'm just simplifying the brackets.

Brackets are just a shothand way of saying 'do this to everything inside' be it multiply them out or square them if the like.

Asked the question to the 6 maths teachers at my school seperately today, and told them not to confer. Also text it to my mate who's a maths teacher at another school.

They all said the answer is 1. You work out the numbers in the bracket first, but then multiply the bracket by two then divide the whole thing by six;

6/2(1+2) = 6/2(3) = 6/6 = 1

All 7 of them gave me that answer with that working, they age from between 23 to 61.

I thought it was 1 all along btw

:smugger:

Archived