6?2(1+2)= ?

Ragnar

the difference in how we're reading it is you stopping taking brackets as the most important once you've resolved what's inside them. I'm taking the operation of multiplying on the brackets as more important than the division as the bracket still exists - until you fully resolve the brackets, inside & out, then they are paramount.

IMO :)

This is correct which is why the rule is BOMDAS and not BODMAS.

• Replies 512
  • Created
  • Last Reply
davemclaren

the difference in how we're reading it is you stopping taking brackets as the most important once you've resolved what's inside them. I'm taking the operation of multiplying on the brackets as more important than the division as the bracket still exists - until you fully resolve the brackets, inside & out, then they are paramount.

IMO :)

Do things IN brackets first.

http://www.mathsisfun.com/operation-order-bodmas.html

Rick Grimes

no, as Riley said earlier, multiplication & division are equally important so left to right would become the correct order.

Dave, I disagree about the "in" part :thumbsup:

Dean Winchester

You're wrong.

BODMAS and BOMDAS are the same thing.

Division and Multiplication are equal and changing their order does not make any difference to the answer.

(2*2) divide by 2 = 2

2 * (2 divide by 2) = 2.

no, as Riley said earlier, multiplication & division are equally important so left to right would become the correct order.

Dave, I disagree about the "in" part :thumbsup:

It is 6 and half a dozen almost, but using BOMDAS you get a neater equation when working with more complex problems.

Rick Grimes

Put (3) or (1+2) into a calculator and see what you get :whistling:

you'll get 3. which doesn't help decide whether the action on the product of the brackets comes before multiplication or division elsewhere. :P

Dean Winchester

you'll get 3. which doesn't help decide whether the action on the product of the brackets comes before multiplication or division elsewhere. :P

It does though :whistling:

My earlier example was wrong in the sense the brackets shouldn't have really still been there.

6/2(1+2) =

6/2*3 =

3*3 =

Seriously does noone have a scientific calculator? The answers 9 guys.

Konrad von Carstein

bunged the formula into excel, recommends a correction 6?2 x(1+2)and the answer is 9. (Which was my first thought.)

Those saying 1 are WUMs :teehee:

PsychocAndy

I thought 9 straight away but after much analysis and reading this thread I have come to the conclusion that it is still 9

Coburg Hearts

When I was at school over 50 years ago the answer would definitely be 9, so unless maths has changed in the intervening years the answer is still 9. It's a no brainer as far as I can see. :thumbsup:

Konrad von Carstein

When I was at school over 50 years ago the answer would definitely be 9, so unless maths has changed in the intervening years the answer is still 9. It's a no brainer as far as I can see. :thumbsup:

I left school 30 years ago and this was my first thought also...but then I never went to University so maybe it changes when you get there :lol:

Hopes the answer is 9 to save his already rank reputation on JKB :mellow:

I P Knightley

Brackets

Over

Division

Multiplication

Addition

Subtraction

This makes the answer 1

Ninja

"O" is for "Of" as in, "power of".

"over" is the same as "divided by" and if BODMAS (or BEDMAS) is anything, what it's not is repetitive.

However, your conclusion is correct; the answer is 1.

Google is wrong; Excel is wrong and anyone else saying 9 is wrong too.

When dividing, resolve the denominator (2(1+2)) before slapping on the numerator.

I should know. I'm a Mathematician.

Creepy Lurker

Brackets come first, so:

6/2(1+2)

= 6 / 2(3)

= 6 / 2 x 3

If it was 6/(2(1+2)), it'd be 1, but because the first two isn't bracketed, it's 9...I think.

portobellojambo1

I know what 2(3) is.

But you have 6/2(3).

There is no operation inside the brackets therefore the first part of BODMAS at this point is DM and going left to right the first occurence is 6/2.

The above equates to 6/2 to the power 3. 6/2 to the power three is 1.

Romanov Stole My Pension

Definitely 1. As has already been said 6/2(1+2) is different from 6/2*(1+2).

Also, if you were to expand out the brackets:

6/2(1+3)

=6/(2+4)

=6/6

=1

"over" is the same as "divided by" and if BODMAS (or BEDMAS) is anything, what it's not is repetitive.

When dividing, resolve the denominator (2(1+2)) before slapping on the numerator.

ooft!!! some heavyweight support for the 1 camp.

the three scientific calculators i tried must all be wrong too. they said 9.

we need klaatu to sort this oot...

04_notyet_thisistheanswer.jpg

portobellojambo1

Brackets come first, so:

6/2(1+2)

= 6 / 2(3)

= 6 / 2 x 3

If it was 6/(2(1+2)), it'd be 1, but because the first two isn't bracketed, it's 9...I think.

Or possibly 1.

Coburg Hearts

I left school 30 years ago and this was my first thought also...but then I never went to University so maybe it changes when you get there :lol:

Hopes the answer is 9 to save his already rank reputation on JKB :mellow:

Goal average!! Now that was complex. :whistling:

Romanov Stole My Pension

For those of you getting 9, what would be the answer to the following:

x/xy

I'd imagine you would be getting y, whereas I would say it is 1/y because the two terms which are immediately beside one another are multiplied first.

Konrad von Carstein

Pfffft! I do stuff at work (occassionaly) and it's 9 (degree qualified g/f thinks it's 1, Mup!)

Creepy Lurker

The way you've written that the answer would be 1. 2(3) is the same as saying 2 to the power three, ie. 2 + 2 +2, which equals 6, therefore the end answer would be 6/6, which equals 1.

You're all over the place here.

2(3) would be 2 x 3. If that was a self contained part of the sum, it'd equal 6. For that to be the case, the sum would have to be 6 / (2x3), which it isn't. It's 6 / 2 x 3.

2 to the power three wouldn't be 2+2+2, it'd be 2 x 2 x 2, which'd be 8. And that definitely wouldn't be represented by 2(3), it'd be represented by 23.

portobellojambo1

You're all over the place here.

2(3) would be 2 x 3. If that was a self contained part of the sum, it'd equal 6. For that to be the case, the sum would have to be 6 / (2x3), which it isn't. It's 6 / 2 x 3.

2 to the power three wouldn't be 2+2+2, it'd be 2 x 2 x 2, which'd be 8. And that definitely wouldn't be represented by 2(3), it'd be represented by 23.

Yes, I realised that after I'd written it all, that it didn't make an ounce of sense. I am successfully managing to confuse myself, the way I was writing it the answer would be 0.75 (maybe :teehee:).

Surely the division sign separates the two parts of the equation. Written as a fraction if you like.

Thus implying that there are imaginary brackets around the 2(2+1), because before you can divide the denominator must be in it's simplest form? So really it is (2(2+1)).

So;

--------

(2(2+1))

-------

2(2)

-------

Now divide.

Or am I taking crap?! Either way I'm sticking with 1.

Midfield Terrier

It's 1

Read it as

6 (numerator)

divided by

2(1+2) (denominator)

Calculate the brackets first in the denominator

divided by

2 (3)

So 6/6 = 1.

:geek:

Creepy Lurker

Surely the division sign separates the two parts of the equation. Written as a fraction if you like.

Thus implying that there are imaginary brackets around the 2(2+1), because before you can divide the denominator must be in it's simplest form? So really it is (2(2+1)).

So;

--------

(2(2+1))

-------

2(2)

-------

Now divide.

Or am I taking crap?! Either way I'm sticking with 1.

BODMAS / BEDMAS has already been mentioned, and it's the key here. 2(1+2) = 2 x (1+2), meaning that the whole sum can be expressed as 6 / 2 x (1+2) or 6/2x3, as opposed to 6/(2x3).

Since there are no transients, 3rd derivatives, triganomic functions or mince pies involved, though drinking bovril will help the answer is very very simple.

It is 9, or nine or six upside down, or 1x9.

It's simple arithmetic, doesn't even hit the maths scale, but knowing a mathematician helps !

It's 1

Read it as

6 (numerator)

divided by

2(1+2) (denominator)

Calculate the brackets first in the denominator

divided by

2 (3)

So 6/6 = 1.

:geek:

perhaps the key lies in someone conclusively proving that multiplication or division definitely takes primacy over the other, or if someone can prove that this isn't the case and that after dealing with the bracketed part of the equation, you simply move left to right.

yet another link suggests the answers arrived at using two ways used on two different continents. :teehee:

http://coding.derkeiler.com/Archive/C_CPP/comp.lang.c/2006-06/msg04066.html

Romanov Stole My Pension

BODMAS / BEDMAS has already been mentioned, and it's the key here. 2(1+2) = 2 x (1+2), meaning that the whole sum can be expressed as 6 / 2 x (1+2) or 6/2x3, as opposed to 6/(2x3).

Hmm... 2(1+2)=2*(1+2) but 6/2(1+2)=6/(2*(1+2))

southside1874

The answer is 1, you have to get rid of the brackets first. :thumbsup:

Everything in the brackets is multiplied by 2 first. 2(x+y) = 2x+2y.

People who say 9 are hobos and like Hitler and they are gay.

It's been said that u need to get rid of the brackets first. So you need to do 2(1+2) before anything else. Simple

Guest C00l K1d

6/2(1+2)

Brackets first = 6/2 (3)

Divide second 3(3) = 3x3 = 9.

inbetween the 6/2 and the (1+2) there is a multiplication you just don't see it

I P Knightley

ooft!!! some heavyweight support for the 1 camp.

the three scientific calculators i tried must all be wrong too. they said 9.

we need klaatu to sort this oot...

04_notyet_thisistheanswer.jpg

Any man that needs a calculator to do a spot of basic, single-digit arithmetic really shouldn't be allowed to have a calculator.

While you've got it, try: (2002-(299 x 3)) x 8 x 17

When you're finished, turn the calculator upside down.

Archived