6?2(1+2)= ?

Ragnar

• Replies 512
  • Created
  • Last Reply
craigie jambo

What's IN the brackets must be resolved first. To be fair it is an ambiguous expression mixing two different notation styles intentionally.

What's after '?' goes to denominator underneath; zero ambiguity

B)

craigie jambo

If it was written 6?2x(1+2)= 9 but it's written 6?2(1+2)= 1.

Correct?

They are identical in nature; x is implicit

latter is correct (1)

davemclaren

The problem to solve is:

6/2*(1+2)

6/2 evaluates to 3

1+2 evaluates to 3

Multiply 3 and 3

6/2*(1+2) evaluates to 9

The final answer is

Mid Calder Jambo

This is much better fun than talking about dresses and kisses and all that Royal stuff. Best thread for ages by the way. The answer is definitely 1

craigie jambo

The problem to solve is:

6/2*(1+2)

6/2 evaluates to 3

1+2 evaluates to 3

Multiply 3 and 3

6/2*(1+2) evaluates to 9

The final answer is

No

davemclaren

This is much better fun than talking about dresses and kisses and all that Royal stuff. Best thread for ages by the way. The answer is definitely 1

Us republicans say 9 :P

Mathway.com says 9.

That's because it is not the same.

They are taking the 6/2 and then multiplying it by 3. That is not what you are to do here. 6 is on the top, on the bottom is 2(1+2). The (1+2) is not isolated from the 2 so you cannot leave it out and divide 6/2 then times by 3. There is no contention here, just people's inability to take 2(1+2) as one entity and solve it.

Mid Calder Jambo

Can the 1 sayers come up with any actual evidence rather than just opinion? :whistling:

Well, for those in the Republican camp, the evidence is quite simple.

Anything to the right hand side of the division sign goes underneath the line so the number 6 is divided by the result of adding the multiples of 2 times 1 and 2 times 2.

2 times 1 is 2. 2 times 2 is 4. 2 plus 4 is 6. 6 divided by 6 is 1.

Let them eat cake :lol:

craigie jambo

Can the 1 sayers come up with any actual evidence rather than just opinion? :whistling:

:rofl:

The real question goes deeper than is the answer 9 or 1.

It seems to be is the "2" attached to the bracket or is the "x" implied between the "2" and the "(1+2)" separating them?

I guess it's down to interpretation of the sum.

craigie jambo

The real question goes deeper than is the answer 9 or 1.

It seems to be is the "2" attached to the bracket or is the "x" implied between the "2" and the "(1+2)" separating them?

I guess it's down to interpretation of the sum.

The "x" would still attach 2 to the bracket

davemclaren

Class dismissed

:lol:

Not so quick clever clogs... :)

The expression isn't 6/(2(1+2)) it's 6/2(1+2). This resolves to 6 / 2 * 3 and we get back to 9.THis all follows BIDMAS rules imo B)

yay.jpg

9ers, take note.

Class dismissed

:lol:

Totally different sum. I already agreed earlier that if you re-express it as a fraction you get 1. If you leave it as is you get 9.

As someone on another forum said, it's deliberately ambiguous and there probably isn't a 'right' answer as both answers have merit.

Mid Calder Jambo

The expression isn't 6/(2(1+2)) it's 6/2(1+2). This resolves to 6 / 2 * 3 and we get back to 9.THis all follows BIDMAS rules imo B)

But 6 divided by, 2 times 3 is 1 :woot:

He is putting the brackets around the two to clarify where people are going wrong when using a calculator. 2(1+2) is the same line, you cannot divide 6/2 and leave out the brackets. What you're taking about is (6/2)*(1+2), so equally I can say that you are not using the same expression.

no no no

B = Brackets.. you haven't resolved the brackets... the 2 is part of the brackets...

davemclaren

But 6 divided by, 2 times 3 is 1 :woot:

But multiplication and division rank equally so you do it left to right. 6 divided by 2 is 3, times 3 is 9.

craigie jambo

Your opinion is WRONG

Totally different sum. I already agreed earlier that if you re-express it as a fraction you get 1. If you leave it as is you get 9.

As someone on another forum said, it's deliberately ambiguous and there probably isn't a 'right' answer as both answers have merit.

What the hell are you talking about?

It is only ambiguous to those that don't understand how to simplify.

craigie jambo

WRONG

davemclaren

no no no

B = Brackets.. you haven't resolved the brackets... the 2 is part of the brackets...

How can it be part of the brackets when it is not in the brackets? There is no rule that says that is the case, only that expressions within brackets are resolved first.

craigie jambo

How can it be part of the brackets when it is not in the brackets? There is no rule that says that is the case, only that expressions within brackets are resolved first.

OMFG!!!!

What the hell are you talking about?

It is only ambiguous to those that don't understand how to simplify.

WRONG

If you put the exact expression from the OP:

6/2(1+2)

into mathway.com and click Simplify you get...

9!!!! INDISPUTABLE FACT. :thumbsup:

shaun.lawson

Dunno why this thread's still going on. The debate ended when I said the answer was 1 - and just as importantly, Picard said it was 9. :vrface:

Because Picard's always wrong, and I - a couple of boo-boos on the snooker thread notwithstanding - am always right. :thumbsup:

OMFG!!!!

Easy, love.

Maybe less caffeine in the morning would stop you getting so worked up about getting a sum wrong...

EDIT: I am in no way claiming to be great at maths, but it's startlingly obvious that the answer is nine.

craigie jambo

6/2(1+2)

You do not know how to input data into a maths program

or a calculator

or excel

B)

6/2(1+2)

And that is why you fail... :facepalm:

Your overreliance on a calculator and your inability to use one correctly is why you get 9. Do you just teach everything from a textbook and calculator without understanding the maths behind it?

Konrad von Carstein

Some danders getting up on this thread...*cracks open a beer and settles in to be entertained* :lol:

craigie jambo

Some danders getting up on this thread...*cracks open a beer and settles in to be entertained* :lol:

Wine (red) for me

:)

Mid Calder Jambo

But multiplication and division rank equally so you do it left to right. 6 divided by 2 is 3, times 3 is 9.

I think you are at the pulling of the plonker here, Dave, for the sake of comedic effect

As I stated in an earlier post anything to the right hand side of the division sign goes underneath the line. Yes you are right. 6 is divided by 2. But it is divided by 2 which has been multiplied by three first, thereby making the divisor 6 and the final answer 1.

And that is why you fail... :facepalm:

Your overreliance on a calculator and your inability to use one correctly is why you get 9. Do you just teach everything from a textbook and calculator without understanding the maths behind it?

:rofl:

Can anyone in the "1" camp actually provide any evidence at all that

6/2(1+2) = 1

apart from their own opinion?

I love how calculators, spreadsheet programs and maths websites are all apparently 'wrong!' :) :) :) :)

Archived