Where a is the answer to the question

• Replies 512
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest C00l K1d

I think i was wrong actually, it is 1

using bodmas

6/2(1+2)

6/2(3) is only simplifying the bracket, you still need to multiply it, which gives 6/3x2 = 6/6 = 1

southside1874

6/2(1+2)

Brackets first = 6/2 (3)

Divide second 3(3) = 3x3 = 9.

inbetween the 6/2 and the (1+2) there is a multiplication you just don't see it

Brackets first makes you do the 2(3) then divide by 6 :thumbsup: But you should do 2(1+2) giving 2+4 then divide by 6.

6/2(x+y) gives you 6/(2x+2y) in my way of thinking. The 9 comes about if you look at the equation in an arithmetical way. Equations are not arithmetic so the fact that brackets are there make it mathematical. Mathematically you have to multiply whats inside the brackets by 2 in the first instance to get rid of the brackets. Since its asking you to multiply whats in the brackets by 2, then you have to do this to get rid of the brackets. 2x+2y can be written as 2(x+y) so 2(1+2) becomes 2x1+2x2.

I think i was wrong actually, it is 1

using bodmas

6/2(1+2)

6/2(3) is only simplifying the bracket, you still need to multiply it, which gives 6/3x2 = 6/6 = 1

Spot on... people who get 9 are removing the brackets before they should. brackets first always...

Guest C00l K1d

Brackets first makes you do the 2(3) then divide by 6 :thumbsup: But you should do 2(1+2) giving 2+4 then divide by 6.

6/2(x+y) gives you 6/(2x+2y) in my way of thinking. The 9 comes about if you look at the equation in an arithmetical way. Equations are not arithmetic so the fact that brackets are there make it mathematical. Mathematically you have to multiply whats inside the brackets by 2 in the first instance to get rid of the brackets. Since its asking you to multiply whats in the brackets by 2, then you have to do this to get rid of the brackets. 2x+2y can be written as 2(x+y) so 2(1+2) becomes 2x1+2x2.

Aye i realised i had only simplified and not multiplied, redeemed myself in another post though :lol:

(I only done int2 maths im allowed to be daft haha)

:thetrain:

Since this a maths geek thread, I'll post my favourite bit of maths geekery.

i^2=-1

multiply both sides by i and you get

i^3=-i=1/i

multiply by i again and you get

i^4=1

divide by i^3

i=1/i^3=i^-3 so i=i^-3

southside1874

Aye i realised i had only simplified and not multiplied, redeemed myself in another post though :lol:

(I only done int2 maths im allowed to be daft haha)

I had to read the whole thread before I got it. :lol:

Dean Winchester

So assuming the answer is indeed 1 we have

6 / 2 (1+2)

equivalent to 6/2*(1+2) yes?

So if we reverse the division to 6*0.5*(1+2) shouldn't that be 1 as well? :whistling:

I can see how your getting 1 i.e. assuming it is 6/(2(1+2)) but I just can't read it like that. I get back to (6/2)*(1+2) everytime.

southside1874

So assuming the answer is indeed 1 we have

6 / 2 (1+2)

equivalent to 6/2*(1+2) yes?

So if we reverse the division to 6*0.5*(1+2) shouldn't that be 1 as well? :whistling:

I can see how your getting 1 i.e. assuming it is 6/(2(1+2)) but I just can't read it like that. I get back to (6/2)*(1+2) everytime.

Its asking you to multiply whats in the brackets by 2. I never got maths at school. I kept asking what x and y and z was and the teacher could never give me the answer. It was all hypothetical. You just had to have a mathematical brain. The fact a teacher was asking me to work out what x and y or even t was but he couldn't explain what they where lost my interest. Needless to say I never got there with maths. I did go to university and struggled through maths in the first year. I think I fluked it TBH. After that the guys teaching me are not maths teachers but engineers and I instantly grasp the whole maths thing because someone tells me that x is the weight of the load traveling in one direction and y is another load traveling in another. If the load is increases by 3 times the amount the 3(y+x) is now the reactive. If for some reason these loads are reduced from 6kg to 1kg and you want to know what reactive force is used then 6 divided by the 3(y+x) is written 6/3(y+x).

My ramblings now explain why my maths teacher could not explain what x and y was. I hope this helps :lol: Artistic folk are not generally good at maths and mathematicians are generally poor at art. Thats why you study a science or an art at university. Thats why you get a BA or a BSc. Bachelor of Arts or Batchelor of Science. :thumbsup:

I P Knightley

The answer is 1, using the "I'm not a complete ******" method :thumbsup:

That explains it best of all.

The answer is 9.

The important thing is that when you calculate the brackets sum (2+1) you remove the brackets when you have the answer. The brackets were only there to tell you to do that sum first.

Therefore, the sum reads:

6 / 2 x (1+2)

eliminate the brackets and it becomes:

6 / 2 x 3

the rule of BOMDAS then gives equal weighting to multiply and divide so you do whatever comes first working left to right. ie. 6/2 = 3

3 x 3

= 9

That's the way I was taught it at school and it's the way the textbooks tell us to teach it nowadays. :thumbsup:

For those getting 1 by expressing the initial sum as a fraction are correct, it would be 1 if it was expressed as a fraction. Unfortunately, it's not though! ;)

Horatio Caine

It's 9. End of.

For confirmation I think we should consult Carol Vorderman.

Or Rachel Riley. :thumbsup:

davemclaren

The answer is 9.

The important thing is that when you calculate the brackets sum (2+1) you remove the brackets when you have the answer. The brackets were only there to tell you to do that sum first.

6 / 2 x (1+2)

6 / 2 x 3

the rule of BOMDAS then gives equal weighting to multiply and divide so you do whatever comes first working left to right. ie. 6/2 = 3

3 x 3

= 9

That's the way I was taught it at school and it's the way the textbooks tell us to teach it nowadays. :thumbsup:

For those getting 1 by expressing the initial sum as a fraction are correct, it would be 1 if it was expressed as a fraction. Unfortunately, it's not though! ;)

'puts career on the line' post imo

I agree though. :thumbsup:

willie wallace

No wonder i was hopeless at maths.I left school nearly 40 years ago and therefore i am not qualified to answer as i am sure they did not have brackets back then.My son tells me there are nearly 1 million votes on a Facebook poll arguing over this but i would rather listen to the JKB school of mathematics for the ultimate correct answer.

57760228.jpg

Btw, it's an expression, not an equation

B)

It wasn't expressed as a fraction though!

Lots of sums would give different answers if you decide to show them as fractions!

For example:

2 / 2 x 2 = 2

But if you decide to express it as a fraction you get 0.5!

craigie jambo

It wasn't expressed as a fraction though!

Lots of sums would give different answers if you decide to show them as fractions!

For example:

2 / 2 x 2 = 2

But if you decide to express it as a fraction you get 0.5!

Yes it was; what throws people is the use of the juvenile '?' symbol; logic dictates that everything after that is the denominator in this case

B)

Brackets come first, so:

6/2(1+2)

= 6 / 2(3)

= 6 / 2 x 3

If it was 6/(2(1+2)), it'd be 1, but because the first two isn't bracketed, it's 9...I think.

This is my thinking. The brackets part in BODMAS is (1+2) not 2(1+2) and therefore it's 9.

Yes it was; what throws people is the use of the juvenile '?' symbol; logic dictates that everything after that is the denominator in this case

B)

Erm, no it wasn't. If it was a fraction it would have been shown as one.

Excel and scientific calculator also give 9 as the answer!

:pleasing:

It really depends on how it is written

6?2?3 = 9

6/(2?3) =1 (I added that bracket to signify the bottom line)

craigie jambo

Erm, no it wasn't. If it was a fraction it would have been shown as one.

Excel and scientific calculator also give 9 as the answer!

Yes it was

You have to know how excel is programmed to know when it is wrong B)

You have to do the input on a scientific calculator bit by bit (in order of precedence) to get the correct answer B)

You are doing it in a linear fashion B)

p.s. How would you type a fraction into a single line of text :ermm:

It really depends on how it is written

6?2?3 = 9

6/(2?3) =1 (I added that bracket to signify the bottom line)

It does indeed depend on how it is written.

It was written as 6?2(1+2)

not as

2(1+2)

by the OP and therefore the correct answer is 9.

BoJack Horseman

**** everyone who says it is 1. The answer is obviously 9. I should know, I got a 1 at standard grade.

Yes it was

p.s. How would you type a fraction into a single line of text :ermm:

Not sure you can.

I'm sure the OP would have said "what's the answer to this fraction?" had they meant it to be.

The OP also refers to the thread about this on another forumwhere it is clearly stated in the OP on that thread not as a fraction.

craigie jambo

Not sure you can.

I'm sure the OP would have said "what's the answer to this fraction?" had they meant it to be.

The OP also refers to the thread about this on another forumwhere it is clearly stated in the OP on that thread not as a fraction.

OMG

Irrelevant

:rofl:

The answer is 9.

6 / 2 x (1+2)

6 / 2 x 3

3 x 3

= 9

No..

Say the sum in words.. its six divided by two open brackets one plus two close brackets

so its six divided by two threes

therefor its six divided by six

No..

Say the sum in words.. its six divided by two open brackets one plus two close brackets

so its six divided by two threes

therefor its six divided by six

Doesn't matter how you "say" it.

The rules of mathematics (plus calculators and spreadsheets) all say it is 9.

Only by re-expressing it as a fraction do you get an answer of 1.

:vrface:

It's demonstrably 1. If you get 9 from a calculator, you're using your calculator wrong.

Guess The Crowd

bunged the formula into excel, recommends a correction 6?2 x(1+2)and the answer is 9. (Which was my first thought.)

Those saying 1 are WUMs :teehee:

Best explanation for me, there's an error in the formula.

Taking excel's recommendation, you get 1, that's good enough for me.

Doesn't matter how you "say" it.

The rules of mathematics (plus calculators and spreadsheets) all say it is 9.

Only by re-expressing it as a fraction do you get an answer of 1.

The problem is that you don't know how to deal with brackets.

You have to deal with the inside first and then anything outside that is acting on it.. be it squared or multiplying. You are simplifying the brackets and not resolving them.

2(1+2) needs to be resolved as the 2 in this sum is not a 2.. it is a multiplication of the brackets.

The Comedian

I simplify it like this as per the thread title. Multiplying whats inside the brackets by whats outside.

6 divided by 2 = 3

1 plus 2 = 3

3 times 3 = 9

craigie jambo

I simplify it like this as per the thread title. Multiplying whats inside the brackets by whats outside.

6 divided by 2 = 3

1 plus 2 = 3

3 times 3 = 9

The 2 is attached to bracket

bracket MUST be resolved FIRST

mathsisfun.com

6?2(1+2)= ?

Brackets first

6?2(3)= ?

Division

3(3)

Multiplication

For the answer to be 1, the sum would need to be written as;

6?(2(1+2))= ?

6?(2(3))= ?

6?6= 1

IMO

Rick Grimes

Why are people isolating what is inside the brackets from the 2? :mellow:

to demonstrate their wrongness

That is how it's written, you must take the 2(3) as just that. You cannot remove the (3) from the 2, they are just a different way of expressing 6.

The 6 on the top stands alone, the 2(1+2) is one number and must be resolved. You cannot work out 6/2 then times it by 3 because the 3 is part of the 2.

craigie jambo

mathsisfun.com

6?2(1+2)= ?

Brackets first

6?2(3)= ?

Division

3(3)

Multiplication

For the answer to be 1, the sum would need to be written as;

6?(2(1+2))= ?

6?(2(3))= ?

6?6= 1

IMO

davemclaren

What's IN the brackets must be resolved first. To be fair it is an ambiguous expression mixing two different notation styles intentionally.

Archived