6?2(1+2)= ?

Ragnar

Kalamazoo Jambo

There are some absolute strokers in this thread.

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/48293

I love this quote...

"I?m a math professor, and my view is that although the standard convention, if applied precisely and rigorously, does give an unambiguous procedure to follow, nobody, and that includes professional mathematicians, would ever write a formula like this. This is mostly because, after about 3rd grade, none of us ever use the division symbol ever again"

:lol:

• Replies 512
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's 1.

If you are getting 9 on the calculator it's because you are inputting the data incorrectly.

HEID BURSTD BUD, U.

:facepalm:

i definitely had one over the eight, and then sum some.

it's still 9 then. and proved to be.

:verysmug:

:facepalm:

BoJack Horseman

For arguments sake my answer would be...

6?2(1+2)

No one is disagreeing that the next stage is

6?2(3)

Implied multiplication does not rank higher than division. We can easily write this as;

6?2*(3)

Now, all numbers have implied parenthesis so we can also write this;

(6)?(2)*(3)

And using your chosen acronym, I'll go with BODMAS, we do our division and multiplication going from left to right. Firstly,

(3)*(3)

Then we do our multiplication to get our answer of;

Tell me what's wrong with that?

Kalamazoo Jambo

For arguments sake my answer would be...

6?2(1+2)

No one is disagreeing that the next stage is

6?2(3)

Implied multiplication does not rank higher than division. We can easily write this as;

6?2*(3)

Now, all numbers have implied parenthesis so we can also write this;

(6)?(2)*(3)

And using your chosen acronym, I'll go with BODMAS, we do our division and multiplication going from left to right. Firstly,

(3)*(3)

Then we do our multiplication to get our answer of;

Tell me what's wrong with that?

I'd agree with that. The key is that division and multiplication are of equal precedence therefore precedence is determined by going from left to right :thumbsup:

BoJack Horseman

I'd agree with that. The key is that division and multiplication are of equal precedence therefore precedence is determined by going from left to right :thumbsup:

It's not even that that's the issues, the ambiguity lies with the 1 camp assuming that implied multiplication takes precedence over regular multiplication when it doesn't. 2x should be treating exactly the same as 2*x. Therefore, as you said, going from left to right, we do the division first.

I think it must be down to how you were taught in school what is part of the bracket, what's outside, what's attached etc.

State your answer and either <24 , 25-39 or 40+

9 <24

My theory is the majority of the older posters believe it's 1 and the younger posters believe it's 9.

I'm twenty and the answer's one. Coming from my third year Maths student flatmate, and seconded by my third year astrophysics pal.

WHO ******* CARES?

It's ambiguous, that's been claimed by a lot of people, why are people still actually arguing about this? Honest to christ, what's anyone winning here, apart from most stubborn-pig-headed-poster-who-takes-things-too-seriously of the year award?

Kalamazoo Jambo

Honest to christ, what's anyone winning here, apart from most stubborn-pig-headed-poster-who-takes-things-too-seriously of the year award?

A much-coveted award :thumbsup:

It's 1.

If you are getting 9 on the calculator it's because you are inputting the data incorrectly.

correct - nuff said and I worked it out in my head. Remember always add the sum in brackets first so the you have 6 / 2(3) and as you multiply 2 by the figure in brackets then the sum becomes 6 / 6 = 1 :thumbsup:

that was too easy give me another sum op

BoJack Horseman

correct - nuff said and I worked it out in my head. Remember always add the sum in brackets first so the you have 6 / 2(3) and as you multiply 2 by the figure in brackets then the sum becomes 6 / 6 = 1 :thumbsup:

that was too easy give me another sum op

Please explain what I'm doing wrong then?

The answer is

article-1178529-04D9B312000005DC-970_468x286.jpg

And not

kyle%20jan%201%20h.jpg

P.s yes I know Kello is technically 25, ha ha. But he is oor number 1!

You sure it's not...... :ninja:

When I saw Uly was the last poster, I clicked in sure I was going see, THREAD CLOSED.

But nope, he is stirring it up further.

:yas:

288!

(sent from a bus of noisy 12 year olds who won't go to sleep!)

show them this thread.

6?2(1+2)= ?

Expand the brackets

6 ? 2x1 + 2x2 =6?2+4

BUMDAS

6?2=3

so

3+4=7

I'm switching allegiance to camp 7.

Kevan plays an ABSALUTE BLINDER at 02:30. Must be in a different time zone as not even my most cleverest friends are that clever at that time of the night.

:yas: My timezone is Whitburn, which is 1972. First time I have ever been accused of behaving cleverly. This is getting printed, framed and stuck on the wall.

marshallschunkychicken

Looks like nine to me.

I suppose it depends on whether your 'implied parentheses' show as (2)(1+2) or (2(1+2)).

I'd go with the former, but higher maths was 16 years ago now.

6?2(1+2)= ?

Expand the brackets

6 ? 2x1 + 2x2 =6?2+4

BUMDAS

6?2=3

so

3+4=7

I'm switching allegiance to camp 7.

Nah still says its 1. 6 / 2 to the power of (1 + 2) so 2 x (1 + 2 ) = 6 and you ared dividing 6 by this sum which equates to 1 B) Always do the sums in brackets 1st. :thumbsup:

BoJack Horseman

Nah still says its 1. 6 / 2 to the power of (1 + 2) so 2 x (1 + 2 ) = 6 and you ared dividing 6 by this sum which equates to 1 B) Always do the sums in brackets 1st. :thumbsup:

Read my working? (1+2) is the sum in the brackets. 2(3) is just 2*3 written differently and comes under 'DM' in BODMAS with the division taking precedence i.e. you divide 6 by 2 before you times 2 by 3.

Read my working? (1+2) is the sum in the brackets. 2(3) is just 2*3 written differently and comes under 'DM' in BODMAS with the division taking precedence i.e. you divide 6 by 2 before you times 2 by 3.

2(1+2) = (2*1 + 2*2) = (2+4) = 6

show them this thread.

Post of the thread (so far) <- remember folks...do the bit in the brackets first.

The answer is 1, using the "I'm not a complete ******" method :thumbsup:

Contender for reply of the year. Plus the correct answer.

denholm87

Saw this on reddit a few days ago. Basically the answer is it can be either since there are two different conventions dealing with the order that these sums should be done. In real life though no mathematician would ever write an equation like that.

cashgenerator

The only people who are wrong on this thread are those who insist they are right, unless they are actually wrong.

I've confused myself now...

Boomstick

Saw this on reddit a few days ago. Basically the answer is it can be either since there are two different conventions dealing with the order that these sums should be done. In real life though no mathematician would ever write an equation like that.

yet still people will argue about it and get worked up about it.

Chris Benoit

How the **** did this get to 11 pages? hang your collective heads in shame kickback :(

How the **** did this get to 11 pages? hang your collective heads in shame kickback :(

Threads like this differentiate us from Ahneedahf**kinhit.net.

We are prepared to debate the finer points of arithmetic rather than simply speculate over fantastical ?6.9 million pound signings of players with soap star names from league one.

hmfc_steve

can't believe this thread still has legs, but for my tuppence worth ... I'm with the 1 gang

PsychocAndy

can't believe this thread still has legs, but for my tuppence worth ... I'm with the 1 gang

Stevie is the most qualified bloke I know and, sadly, if he says it's 1, then I am in error with my answer.

Just remember qualifications and common sense do not go hand in hand, :whistling: but anything with numbers in it, I then doff my cap to the man.

Currahee!

I've just got my daughter to do the sum.

She got 7. :unsure:

PsychocAndy

I've just got my daughter to do the sum.

She got 7. :unsure:

I doff my cap to your daughter then too as she was nearer than me.

Boomstick

n(a+b-c) =0

You're welcome.

I posted it wrong. 2 minutes.

:)

Boomstick

laugh.gif

I want to make n wee and a bit higher, like thon apostrophes. Imagine this

x' + y' = z'

Apostrophe is n.

ok?

Guest Ultraviolet Catastrophe

You wanted to post Fermat's Last Theorem; I understood that. Hence the "solving" joke.

Nevermind, buddy..

laugh.gif

Boomstick

You wanted to post Fermat's Last Theorem; I understood that. Hence the "solving" joke.

Nevermind, buddy..

laugh.gif

:(

Don't mock me.

I didn't get your joke anyway. Jokes are meant to be funny.

Guest Ultraviolet Catastrophe

I love being called a nerd/geek. It's the last line of defence from an arts student or just someone who blatantly isn't intelligent enough to know what's going on, and so resort to petty insults.

ohmy.gifteehee.gif

Pistol1874

Don't mock me.

I didn't get your joke anyway. Jokes are meant to be funny.

:lol:

Brilliant. Well, made me laugh anyway (your reply, not his joke (which, for the avoidance of doubt, I don't get either)).

Archived