• Gigolo-Aunt

• Coco

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Finished The Three-Body Problem, book 1 of Liu Cixin's 4-book series.

Really love this guy's imagination, the way part of the mystery was revealed cleverly via the protagonist exploring a VR world was very enjoyable. I'm hoping the series as a whole is as strong as this book (only a couple of minor gripes with it). Decently translated I think too, it didn't overly Westernise some of the plot related to the Chinese cultural revolution which was important as it informs the actions of the book's main antagonist.

There's a Netflix adaptation coming next year, as well as a Chinese adaptation which I'm gonna watch now I've finished this book.

On 25/11/2023 at 21:35, Gizmo said:

Really love this guy's imagination, the way part of the mystery was revealed cleverly via the protagonist exploring a VR world was very enjoyable. I'm hoping the series as a whole is as strong as this book (only a couple of minor gripes with it). Decently translated I think too, it didn't overly Westernise some of the plot related to the Chinese cultural revolution which was important as it informs the actions of the book's main antagonist.

There's a Netflix adaptation coming next year, as well as a Chinese adaptation which I'm gonna watch now I've finished this book.

Isn't this part of a trilogy?? Might want to read the other 2 before watching the show.

On 30/11/2023 at 10:32, dougal said:

Isn't this part of a trilogy?? Might want to read the other 2 before watching the show.

So it's 4 books I believe. 

The show is doing 24 episodes, 8 per season. If they rigidly stick to the books, that's 6 episodes per book.

I'll have finished the second book at least before it kicks off in January. 

On 25/11/2023 at 21:35, Gizmo said:

I started reading this about a year ago, forgot about it, then picked it up again recently. Very good story. Didn’t know there was a TV version, thanks. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 29/12/2023 at 12:58, JudyJudyJudy said:

Got this as a Xmas present . Thoroughly enjoying it . She’s crackers but I love her. 

IMG_6835.jpeg

Not a book comment here, but I watched her in What's Up, Doc? last night.  The movie's more than 50 years old, but in fairness the comedy held up pretty well, and you couldn't take your eyes off her.  If you haven't seen it in a while you should try to get a hold of it.

JudyJudyJudy
11 hours ago, Ulysses said:

Not a book comment here, but I watched her in What's Up, Doc? last night.  The movie's more than 50 years old, but in fairness the comedy held up pretty well, and you couldn't take your eyes off her.  If you haven't seen it in a while you should try to get a hold of it.

Not seen it in years . Yes it was a real

Homage to the “ screwball “ comedies of the 1930s. Babs was an exceptional comedic actress . The supporting cast were full of great screen stealers like Madeline Khan and Kenneth Mars ( both Mel brooks regulars ) . In the book she talks about the making of it and most of them did their own stunts 

Edited by JudyJudyJudy

• 2 weeks later...
periodictabledancer

The Thursday Murder Club by Richard Osman. 

Absolutely hilarious. 

Its a Miss Marple meets The Ladykillers novel that'd make a great Ealing comedy. 

periodictabledancer

The Wager: David GrannRead it in two days while on holiday. One of the best books I've ever read.  A bit of a disappointing twist in the tale when you're dying to find out who's getting hanged at the court martial but the Admiralty bottled it and swept it all under the carpet becuse the whole episode was so embarrassing. A fantastic read nonetheless.