The what are you reading at the moment fred

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

1 hour ago, Diadora Van Basten said:

Love this book, it’s hilarious I was telling someone the story a few days ago about how they booked Julian Cope and The Teardrop Explodes for a Secret gig and you were meant to leak it but nobody did and only eight people turned up for it.

😁Aye, some great stories in it

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Haken

• dougal

• Gigolo-Aunt

• Coco

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Dick Dastardly
On 23/05/2022 at 22:45, jonesy said:

Just finished a collection of Dashiell Hammet short stories. 

Great stuff.

The big knockout and other stories? 

Maple Leaf

I'm reading "Hearts at War, 1914-1919" by Tom Purdie.

It's a detailed account of all the Hearts matches in that period, plus personal details about the players involved.  A great addition to the library of any Hearts supporter.

I'm re-reading Catch 22.  I've read it a few times, but with big enough gaps in between that I appreciate it slightly more each time as I get older.  It's a book that divides opinion, but it would be in my top 10 of all time.

4 hours ago, Haken said:

I'm re-reading Catch 22.  I've read it a few times, but with big enough gaps in between that I appreciate it slightly more each time as I get older.  It's a book that divides opinion, but it would be in my top 10 of all time.

It's probably top 5 for me 

18 hours ago, Hmfc1965 said:

It's probably top 5 for me 

I was in my early teens first time I read it and struggled with it until I accepted it wasn't really a linear story line.  I'd need to have a think about what else would be in my top 10 but Catch 22 would be towards the top.

5 hours ago, Haken said:

I was in my early teens first time I read it and struggled with it until I accepted it wasn't really a linear story line.  I'd need to have a think about what else would be in my top 10 but Catch 22 would be towards the top.

I was slightly older and took to it immediately. 

His other books can be hit or miss though. 

Dick Dastardly
On 06/06/2022 at 09:08, Haken said:

Yeah, its a good read. Very funny and quite sardonic, if i remember correctly. It's been years since i read it. Have you read the sequal "Closing Time"? I picked it up from a charity shop a while back but haven't read it yet. 

Spitonastranger
On 04/05/2022 at 21:43, Dick Dastardly said:

Absolutely fascinating. I'm normally more of a crime fiction type of reader but i got this from a charity shop ages ago. Started it last week and loving it. Heavy going for me so only reading a bit at a time though 

41yu2qXhXXL._SX324_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Loved this book, heavy going as you say. I have now bought the graphic novel version. Homo Deus is good also. 

Spitonastranger

Re reading Regeneration by Pat Barker, great novel and switched me onto reading the 1st war poetry 

Dick Dastardly
6 minutes ago, Spitonastranger said:

Loved this book, heavy going as you say. I have now bought the graphic novel version. Homo Deus is good also. 

I've put it on the back burner just now. I will go back to it at some point soon. A graphic novel version sounds good. I hadn't heard of Homo Deus but might give that a go after. Cheers 

Spitonastranger
On 05/05/2022 at 09:05, JamesM48 said:

Your in this book ? ! Tell me more ! I mainly read crime books , thrillers . My favourite author is the great Patricia Highsmith . She wrote incredible critically acclaimed psychological thrillers . Also like auto biographies and currently reading her diaries and notes . Also started on this book which is a scream . He’s a great talent ! 

77CE250E-72EA-4DC9-A189-614E9B9BDB92.jpeg

getting this, loved him in Torch Song Trilogy 

JudyJudyJudy
10 minutes ago, Spitonastranger said:

getting this, loved him in Torch Song Trilogy 

it was not bad. I thought it might be more bitchy / gossipy :) But was ok.  

Spitonastranger
1 minute ago, JamesM48 said:

it was not bad. I thought it might be more bitchy / gossipy :) But was ok.  

I suppose for the time and the subject matter i liked it. Looking at it now maybe not so much 

16 hours ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Yeah, its a good read. Very funny and quite sardonic, if i remember correctly. It's been years since i read it. Have you read the sequal "Closing Time"? I picked it up from a charity shop a while back but haven't read it yet. 

I haven't.  I was always aware that Heller's other works - going by their reception - did not stand up to Catch 22.  I haven't read any of them, but specifically have not read Closing Time as I did not want to be disappointed reading about characters I liked.  A bit like watching Jodie Whittaker in Dr Who. 😂

For me, Heller joins Harper Lee and Ken Kesey as people who wrote one amazing book. 

Dick Dastardly
3 hours ago, Haken said:

I haven't.  I was always aware that Heller's other works - going by their reception - did not stand up to Catch 22.  I haven't read any of them, but specifically have not read Closing Time as I did not want to be disappointed reading about characters I liked.  A bit like watching Jodie Whittaker in Dr Who. 😂

For me, Heller joins Harper Lee and Ken Kesey as people who wrote one amazing book. 

If i ever get round to reading Closing Time I'll pop back to these comments and let you know of it's any good

Just finished this. Absolutely outstanding. One of the best books I've read in years.

0230763847.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
William H. Bonney

Revisiting this book. I haven't read it since I was a teenager.  I'm trying to work my way through all of his novels. 

500x.jpeg.jpg

That thing you do

Personal: Sex Lives of Cannibals (not what you think)

Professional: Four Hour work week

download (6).jpeg

download (1).png

That thing you do
2 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Any audiobook narrated by Simon Vance is worth listening to. His voice is mesmerising. If you get a chance, listen to him reading the Bond stories.

Yep. Ive read this book 3 times as i love a good travelogue and this one is pretty funny but the audio version with Simon Vance was great too 👍 

Edited by That thing you do

William H. Bonney
9 hours ago, jonesy said:

Working on The Stand (the uncut 1990-set one) at the moment. Grim exposition so far.

The stand is a great book. 

JudyJudyJudy
On 18/06/2022 at 16:37, jonesy said:

the-machine-stops-9781681460277_lg.jpg

I preferred Howard’s end ! 

JudyJudyJudy
4 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Leave your sex life out of this thread.

Don’t speak about Maurice like that ! 😂

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Dick Dastardly

Revisiting novels i haven't read for years. Banks has some imagination both in his sci-fi and his non sci-fi works. 

IainMBanksAgainstaDarkBackg.jpg

Dick Dastardly
26 minutes ago, Shanks said no said:

Girl A by Abigail Dean | Waterstones Not sure yet what to make of it, about 50% through

That sounds quite harrowing. 

image.jpeg.8354789594f20cc898e30b39c7b5dc9f.jpeg

Pretty good - predictable ending but it's not really a mystrery/whodunnit type of read

image.jpeg.bc041708c14a91af540f44e4c5248c1b.jpeg

Then a change of pace and setting for a bit of post apocalyptic cyber punk

image.jpeg.263d8de191cb4ca08d4bbff43210a87c.jpeg

And now on this, which I've been meaning to read for years

On 26/06/2022 at 22:49, William H. Bonney said:

Revisiting this book. I haven't read it since I was a teenager.  I'm trying to work my way through all of his novels. 

500x.jpeg.jpg

Was trying to remember the 4 novellas that make this up and could only recall Rita Hayworth & the Shawshank Redemption, Apt Pupil and The Body.  Actually had to look it up to find that The Breathing Method is the fourth story, but I have no recollection of it at all.  An age thing, no doubt.

• 2 weeks later...
On 16/08/2022 at 15:04, Haken said:

image.jpeg.8354789594f20cc898e30b39c7b5dc9f.jpeg

Pretty good - predictable ending but it's not really a mystrery/whodunnit type of read

image.jpeg.bc041708c14a91af540f44e4c5248c1b.jpeg

Then a change of pace and setting for a bit of post apocalyptic cyber punk

image.jpeg.263d8de191cb4ca08d4bbff43210a87c.jpeg

And now on this, which I've been meaning to read for years

Finished the Joe Abercrombie book and have to say that despite it being light on plot, it was pretty darn good.  Followed that up with King's The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon (don't know why it took me so long to get round to that).  It was ok - easy enough read.  And now onto the second in the Joe Abercrombie series, Before They Are Hanged.  It's getting better and better.