Top Posters In This Topic

• Haken

• dougal

• Gigolo-Aunt

• Coco

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 hours ago, jonesy said:

A book I've always wanted to pick up but worried it might not be as good as everyone says. How was it?

I’m still reading it 😀Literally a couple of pages a night. Love it

Read this before I start the tv series.  A little disappointed compared to his other books that I've read.  Easy to see where it was leading.

11429709.jpg

Shanks said no

Conqueror Series 5 Books Collection Pack RRP: £50.95 (Conqueror, Bones of  the Hills, Wolf of the Plains, Lords of the Bow...)(Conn Iggulden):  Amazon.co.uk: Books

Had a week away and finished the set. Have become a bit obsessed with Mongolia as a result, including boring my kids at Edinburgh zoo yesterday when we saw the Przewalski's wild horses.

Byyy The Light

A recommendation from on here (not sure if it was this thread or the Invasion one)

About 20% through and enjoying it. Interesting given what’s going on. 

BD600AF4-4697-47E6-8930-2B1EDE50CE45.png

On 19/03/2022 at 10:22, The Frenchman Returns said:

Conqueror Series 5 Books Collection Pack RRP: £50.95 (Conqueror, Bones of  the Hills, Wolf of the Plains, Lords of the Bow...)(Conn Iggulden):  Amazon.co.uk: Books

Had a week away and finished the set. Have become a bit obsessed with Mongolia as a result, including boring my kids at Edinburgh zoo yesterday when we saw the Przewalski's wild horses.

I loved his War of the Roses books, might try these next. 👍

• 2 weeks later...
On 25/03/2022 at 12:08, Meathook said:

I loved his War of the Roses books, might try these next. 👍

I've read the first three and they were excellent.  Still got the other two to read. Think the first three are Ghengis Khan and the final two are Kubla Khan. Sorry if this a spoiler 😉

On 04/04/2022 at 10:04, jonesy said:

Ha, have ended up doing more or less the same. Not sure I have any idea what's going on, but following the exploits of the townsfolk and the family is enjoyable all the same.

It’s one of those books. I’d say I loved it but couldn’t describe what’s happened 

• 2 weeks later...
Captain Slog
2 minutes ago, Captain Slog said:

the-bird-in-the-basement-aaaajw7cpbe.jpg?time=1647741889

Admittedly I'm biased.  It may be from an amateur, and directed more at young women being  based on medieval for fantasy centring on a female protagonist, but hey, its the first time i ever had a cameo in a book with a character based on real me.

Ani i know I'm traditional and like paper books* by established authors, but there are some talented authors on these online writing sites.

*I had been intending to read the last two wheel of time books written by Robert Jordan, but after the mess they made of the TV Series, i can't quite be bothered.

Shanks said no

9781477824566-uk.jpg

Hilarious, an author with the same sense of humour as me

Stock image for The Second Sleep for sale by Goldstone Books

Strange book and not what you expect

Dick Dastardly

Absolutely fascinating. I'm normally more of a crime fiction type of reader but i got this from a charity shop ages ago. Started it last week and loving it. Heavy going for me so only reading a bit at a time though 

41yu2qXhXXL._SX324_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

JudyJudyJudy
On 26/04/2022 at 19:42, Captain Slog said:

Admittedly I'm biased.  It may be from an amateur, and directed more at young women being  based on medieval for fantasy centring on a female protagonist, but hey, its the first time i ever had a cameo in a book with a character based on real me.

Ani i know I'm traditional and like paper books* by established authors, but there are some talented authors on these online writing sites.

*I had been intending to read the last two wheel of time books written by Robert Jordan, but after the mess they made of the TV Series, i can't quite be bothered.

Your in this book ? ! Tell me more ! I mainly read crime books , thrillers . My favourite author is the great Patricia Highsmith . She wrote incredible critically acclaimed psychological thrillers . Also like auto biographies and currently reading her diaries and notes . Also started on this book which is a scream . He’s a great talent ! 

77CE250E-72EA-4DC9-A189-614E9B9BDB92.jpeg

Edited by JamesM48

Dick Dastardly
50 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Your in this book ? ! Tell me more ! I mainly read crime books , thrillers . My favourite author is the great Patricia Highsmith . She wrote incredible critically acclaimed psychological thrillers . Also like auto biographies and currently reading her diaries and notes . Also started on this book which is a scream . He’s a great talent ! 

77CE250E-72EA-4DC9-A189-614E9B9BDB92.jpeg

Patricia Highsmith sounds like a pretty vile person, at a quick glance. Written some good books though, by the sound of it! 

I used to post regularly on this thread.  Dunno why I stopped.

Some stuff I've read recently - Jay Kristoff's Nevernight trilogy.  It's fantasy fare set in a sort of Roman Empire with Gladiators type setting.  I think I got the first one cheap on the Kindle and liked it enough to get books 2 and 3.  They can be quite gory, a bit sexy, and often very funny.

On the back of that, I got Illuminae on the Kindle (Jay Kristoff and Amie Kaufmann), which is the first in another trilogy, this one called The Illuminae Files.  Young Adult Fiction, but the mistake I made was getting the first book on the Kindle.  It really has to be read in physical book form.  The story is presented in the form of documented evidence presented to a court which includes text messaging, chatrooms, surveillance footage, diagrams and the ramblings of a demented AI defence system.  It's space opera in terms of setting, but I thought it was sooooo well done - the sort of thing that just didn't exist when I was a teenager.

Now starting The Tiger and The Wolf by Adrian Tchaikovsky.

JudyJudyJudy
12 hours ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Patricia Highsmith sounds like a pretty vile person, at a quick glance. Written some good books though, by the sound of it! 

I think she was a victim of her time really due to her sexuality. I am only on around page 60 of her diaries and notes ( the book is over 900  pages long) and those pages are from her earlier years to her early 20s where she was full of optimism about life and relationships but clearly changed in her later life.  A superb writer of human character studies i feel. The best crime writer in my opinion..

Dick Dastardly
9 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

I think she was a victim of her time really due to her sexuality. I am only on around page 60 of her diaries and notes ( the book is over 900  pages long) and those pages are from her earlier years to her early 20s where she was full of optimism about life and relationships but clearly changed in her later life.  A superb writer of human character studies i feel. The best crime writer in my opinion..

I hadn't heard of her till you mentioned her on here so i googled her. Her novels sound very good but some of the antisemitic and anti black stuff she is quoted as saying seems a bit much! 

JudyJudyJudy
1 hour ago, Dick Dastardly said:

I hadn't heard of her till you mentioned her on here so i googled her. Her novels sound very good but some of the antisemitic and anti black stuff she is quoted as saying seems a bit much! 

She was an interesting character with flaws . Like I said probably a victim of her time in many ways . Highly recommend her books . 

Just finished this. Excellent book about a little known expedition to the antarctic. 

9780753553466.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Dick Dastardly

Slogged my way through this last week. Pretty awful, in my opinion. The first Baldacci book I've read and might be the last. 

61lzg3HfPKL._SX328_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Dick Dastardly
15 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

I don't have the patience to read, i'd rather just watch the movie and get on with life. 

You must really be getting on with life if you felt the need to comment then

Diadora Van Basten
On 11/05/2022 at 20:30, tedarmy said:

hooky.jpg

Love this book, it’s hilarious I was telling someone the story a few days ago about how they booked Julian Cope and The Teardrop Explodes for a Secret gig and you were meant to leak it but nobody did and only eight people turned up for it.