The what are you reading at the moment fred

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Image result for Dice Man cover

OK, who's read it and did it?

I read it in the mid-70s. I suppose it changed my life because I still remember parts of it. I was studying psychology (unsuccessfully) at the time and mention of it was banned in the department. I also had 2 or 3 friends who began to "live by the dice" but gave up within the week. Also I used to get the NME(?) who, at the time did famous band member's profiles. About 75% of them confessed that it was their favourite book. It's difficult to find now but still in print, though with a new cover. It was supposedly banned in a few countries but that might have been part of the hype. I read it again last week, it still has the power to shock.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Haken

• dougal

• Gigolo-Aunt

• Coco

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

14 hours ago, spud said:

Image result for Dice Man cover

OK, who's read it and did it?

I read it in the mid-70s. I suppose it changed my life because I still remember parts of it. I was studying psychology (unsuccessfully) at the time and mention of it was banned in the department. I also had 2 or 3 friends who began to "live by the dice" but gave up within the week. Also I used to get the NME(?) who, at the time did famous band member's profiles. About 75% of them confessed that it was their favourite book. It's difficult to find now but still in print, though with a new cover. It was supposedly banned in a few countries but that might have been part of the hype. I read it again last week, it still has the power to shock.

One of the very few books that I have given up on. Just didn't do it for me. Admittedly it was a long time ago but I just remember not liking it at all. The premise seemed very interesting but I didn't feel the book live up to its potential.  Might feel differently now if I read it.

Followed a similar premise as The Firm but nowhere near the same quality or excitementment. Still a decent read though.

817jT9EQq0L.jpg

image.jpeg.5b242588f622a6170f35853d8e3d322a.jpegReally interesting kinda theoretical physics for dummies.

I love his books. Got this signed first edition  at the fantastic Topping & Co Blenheim Place

If you like a wander round a bookshop give yourself a couple of hours. They’ll even give you a brew 

The third book in the trilogy. Slight disappointed with it. Definitely the weakest of the three. Saying that it was still a decent trilogy and worth reading if you're a fan of Dan Brown.

81JOzg36kpL.jpg

4th in the series and a very decent thriller which brings together the main character from one of Chris Mooney's earlier book and heroine of this current series.

51kcqiR4RoL._SX324_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

43 minutes ago, Boof said:

Currently reading Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas and thinking it's pretty much a pile o shite so far.

He’s a shit writer beloved of the Loaded magazine lad generation. 

7 hours ago, Tazio said:

He’s a shit writer beloved of the Loaded magazine lad generation. 

I somehow got the impression it was one of those 'must read' books. And no, I'm not one of the Loaded generation :lol: 

I have yet to raise even a smile at anything in it and I'm past half-way. I will persist to the end but I feel there's better books I could be spending my time on.

Carl Fredrickson

I read loads but haven't read this thread for ages. Don't know why as I am always after recommendations. I nearly soley read crime fiction,  preferably UK based. 

This month I am trying to read other stuff and last week I read the book Ian Murray wrote about his time with FoH. 

Quite a lot in it that I was unaware of and well worth a read for any Hearts fan.

The book I am reading just now is Kevin Twaddles biography. Whilst I appreciate that gambling has been a huge destructive force on his life I would have appreciated a bit more football tales in it. Starts off well with his time at St Johnstone but after that gambling dominates (which is true of his life). 

Byyy The Light
On 13/03/2021 at 10:30, maroonblood said:

Hope you enjoy. I would say the second book is actually better, third one due out later this year.

image.jpeg.02afcbf56739fc1ec53f83492a8bfcc8.jpeg

Almost finished this.  Great series, really enjoyed them all. 

On 16/09/2021 at 08:33, Byyy The Light said:

image.jpeg.02afcbf56739fc1ec53f83492a8bfcc8.jpeg

Almost finished this.  Great series, really enjoyed them all. 

That was quick of the mark. Looking forward to it!

Just finished this, best book I have read in years, John Boyne is one of the best writers I have come across. 

A Ladder to the Sky: From the bestselling author of The Heart’s Invisible Furies by [John Boyne]

A cracking murder mystery based on the real Axeman murders in New Orleans just after the end of the First World War. 

91stDGw6oYL.jpg

An outstanding fictional story based on the author's real life experiences whilst serving as a marine in Vietnam. Gives so much more insight into the conditions and feelings that the soldiers had than any film I've seen on the subject.

81bq77hZmZL.jpg

The Bannon Flick

image.png.05bd574d4ac00281822511d6ecbf3444.png

I've read all the Nesbo books and this one is right up there with the best of them.

His Harry Hole books are great but his stand alone ones are also excellent if you like the 'Noric Noir' kind of stuff.

13 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

There’s 24 Ben Hope books and another on the way 

I know, I've got the 6 of the next 7.

7 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Career change?

Yep.. Pre covid taxi driver with a degree in sport and exercise science, couldn't get a job in it so carried on (highly reluctantly and despondantly) taxiing. 

Got a job in a warehouse when covid hit, a year later I was still there and they advertised for van drivers for the actual company. 6 months on from that they're putting us through class 2 to become drivers for them (have to stay for 2 years or else pay training costs back). 

Sorry for the long winded reply but when I answer a question, I answer a question! 😂

Konrad von Carstein
On 14/10/2021 at 18:58, dougal said:

14739062.jpg

On 20/10/2021 at 20:21, manaliveits105 said:

There’s 24 Ben Hope books and another on the way 

I'm coming to the end of the Gaius Valerius Verrens Hero of Rome series by Douglas Jackson and in need of a change from Roman historical fiction.

How highly would you guys recommend this series of books?

manaliveits105

The Ben Hope books are ok - i like Davinci Code like books that give you some historical facts within the fiction but like Jack Reacher despite being in deadly combat in every book no one manages to lay a glove on our ex SAS hero  :sadrobbo:

Im enjoying The James Oswald -  Inspector Maclean - Edinburgh detective series on last book 11 at the moment - its a bit out of the norm  and he often gets help from  an old family friend a transvestite clairvoyant from Leith !

Konrad von Carstein
31 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

The Ben Hope books are ok - i like Davinci Code like books that give you some historical facts within the fiction but like Jack Reacher despite being in deadly combat in every book no one manages to lay a glove on our ex SAS hero  :sadrobbo:

Im enjoying The James Oswald -  Inspector Maclean - Edinburgh detective series on last book 11 at the moment - its a bit out of the norm  and he often gets help from  an old family friend a transvestite clairvoyant from Leith !

Cheers for the response,  I'll give Ben Hope a whirl once I've done with Gaius...

:th_woot:

8 hours ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

Cheers for the response,  I'll give Ben Hope a whirl once I've done with Gaius...

:th_woot:

If you've not read Victor the Assassin series by Tom Wood they're good. Somewhat similar to the Jack Reacher books although Victor doesn't stumble into difficult situations. I'm currently on the 2nd book of Peter May's Chinese series and they're pretty good, move at a fair pace. There are 6 of them. If you're looking for 100mph action then Matthew Reilly is your man for sure. 

Edited by dougal

Just started " Natives Race & Class in the Ruins of  the British Empire" by Akala which was recommended to me by my daughter after her uni studies. The title might be off-putting for some but (and I'm only into the first 50 pages) it's a thought provoking book . I had never heard of the guy but apparently he is qute famous and the brother of Missy Dynamite.🤷‍♂️

The guy is  mixed race , born in the 80s and writes  with  a very different take on racism in the UK. He makes some interesting points about the almost total lack of willingness in the UK establishment to apply scrutiny of UKs racist empire and its racist institutions to the impact on everyday life (ie the racism of the rich) while pointing out the lens of  racism is very much on the poor. 

I can see me re-reading the book because it's a very different take on racism on the UK and it certainly isn't a bitter polemic of a "poor guy made good" (which he certainly is).  

I’ll be reading this after Xmas as im geting it as a gift . One of my favourite authors . She wrote incredible psychological thrillers such as “ The talented Mr Ripley “ and “ Strangers on a train” as well as the lesbian romance “ Carol “ which was daring fir its time. The diaries cover her student years in Greenwhich village , With various literary giants like Truman Capote to her later years as a “ bigoted chain smoker “ telling it how it was from her house in Switzerland 🇨🇭 

65972E30-C4FB-460E-BB77-A1BF474B9491.jpeg

7 hours ago, jonesy said:

Any recommendations for contemporary Scottish novels set in the highlands that aren’t ‘crime fiction’ involving grizzled detectives?

Off the top of my napper... Blackden & Bunker Man by Duncan McLean. The Stornoway Way, by Kevin MacNeil (set in...yup, you guessed it, Stornoway, so more the islands rather than the highlands!). The Crow Road, The Steep Approach To Garbadale, & Stonemouth, all by Iain Banks, and all set partially or mainly in the highlands / north of Scotland.

Some of Allan Warner's books have settings in the highland west-coast of Scotland, including his first published one Morven Callar. I'm not a big fan though, so I can't really "recommend" him.

And not an alcoholic / grizzled / music-loving / haunted-by-his-own-past detective in sight! :thumbsup:

I'll wrack my remaining brain-cell further and see if I can come-up with any other books and writers.

Edited by Auld Reekin'