Fitness Thread

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Brb, building a commercial gym...think I'll only bother with two squat racks, then allow them to double up as the only area where anyone can bench. It's not like either of those are popular things to do.

Pure?

Does my ******* head in.

Not only that, there is no spare Olympic bar. So if someone's deadlifting, there is a rack that can't be used. :facepalm:

Plus they don't have any barbells. So if you want to do straight bar curls, you NEED to use the rack.

Don't even get me started on the fact there isn't enough plates. :seething:

Creepy Lurker

tumblr_mbeeyzv8VA1rqrfsqo1_250.jpg

:D

Pure?

Does my ******* head in.

Not only that, there is no spare Olympic bar. So if someone's deadlifting, there is a rack that can't be used. :facepalm:

Plus they don't have any barbells. So if you want to do straight bar curls, you NEED to use the rack.

Don't even get me started on the fact there isn't enough plates. :seething:

Yeah, I'm just back at Pure after having been using Stirling Uni gym for the last few months and I'd forgotten how frustrating it is! Especially since I'm pretty much only using barbells in the gym at the moment. Brb, wandering around trying to look busy while I wait for a squat rack.

There are about ten racks in the uni gym.

:D

Yeah, I'm just back at Pure after having been using Stirling Uni gym for the last few months and I'd forgotten how frustrating it is! Especially since I'm pretty much only using barbells in the gym at the moment. Brb, wandering around trying to look busy while I wait for a squat rack.

There are about ten racks in the uni gym.

If you're still a student CL get up to the pleasance and use their gym. More expensive however great facilities. I use Thompson's in leith and it is relatively cheap to pay and play their off peak. The off membership isn't too far off pure.

Creepy Lurker

If you're still a student CL get up to the pleasance and use their gym. More expensive however great facilities. I use Thompson's in leith and it is relatively cheap to pay and play their off peak. The off membership isn't too far off pure.

Might have a look into that, actually! Cheers.

I think Pure's pretty good for the price, but the lack of barbells is going to frustrate me. Good location, though.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

None of you considered buying your own stuff?

I've been building my 'home gym' up for a while. Manage to get the job done with a bench, barbell, pull up bar, dumb bells. Just buying a couple of weight plates every month now.

Need to see about a squat rack though. Can get decent home ones for not a bad price.

The People's Chimp

Got my first interclub event with MT on December 13th, so that's what my training's focussed on at the moment. Don't really have a weight to make for it, though, so I've actually been eating at a slight surplus recently to try to gain a bit of weight. Felt like my lifts were all stalling a bit with the programme I was on before, some even going backwards, so I've gone back to a really simple strength training regime. Actually feel like I'm looking forward to going to the gym again, which is nice as it had become a bit of a chore.

As far as compression gear goes, the claims that they make seem to be something to do with the tightness keeping the body warm, which improves blood flow to muscles, which improves recovery. From the research I've looked at, which hasn't really been that extensive to be honest, it seems that there might be something in it, but even being very charitable to the companies involved the difference that compression gear will make is pretty minimal. A decent foam roller will cost a fraction of the price and be a lot more effective.

I've got a hammy that gives me gip at fives, especially into the winter. I find that wearing compression shorts definitely helps - you know when you've tweaked the hammy and putting pressure/compressing it eases the discomfort, it's basically the same principle which helps. I've not had anywhere near the amount of tweaks I had before, so they've been a decent investment for me. Not sure I buy into all the other marketing stuff though.

Might have a look into that, actually! Cheers.

I think Pure's pretty good for the price, but the lack of barbells is going to frustrate me. Good location, though.

How did the inter-comp go?

Creepy Lurker

How did the inter-comp go?

It's on Thursday! Been back sparring at Headhunters rather than the uni club and feel better for it, so I'm looking forward to this now. Had my last sparring session his morning before going to the gym in the evening, resting tomorrow and then training technique on Monday and Tuesday (also probably going to hit the gym on Tuesday) before resting up on Wednesday. Should be good!

It's on Thursday! Been back sparring at Headhunters rather than the uni club and feel better for it, so I'm looking forward to this now. Had my last sparring session his morning before going to the gym in the evening, resting tomorrow and then training technique on Monday and Tuesday (also probably going to hit the gym on Tuesday) before resting up on Wednesday. Should be good!

Is it a headhunters comp or are the Uni doing it?

Creepy Lurker

The interclub was an experience! Was up against a guy a bit more experienced that me and thought that he was in control throughout but that I landed a few decent shots and didn't disgrace myself. Very good learning experience for me and glad I did it, although being in the ring with a crowd around it did make me freeze a bit and I completely neglected to do some of the stuff I'd been working on recently. Oh well, at least I know where I need to improve.

The interclub was an experience! Was up against a guy a bit more experienced that me and thought that he was in control throughout but that I landed a few decent shots and didn't disgrace myself. Very good learning experience for me and glad I did it, although being in the ring with a crowd around it did make me freeze a bit and I completely neglected to do some of the stuff I'd been working on recently. Oh well, at least I know where I need to improve.

Respect. It take serious baws to do that.

I certainly couldn't.

Creepy Lurker

Muay Thai. This was interclub level, so shinpads were allowed.

Edited by Creepy Lurker

Muay Thai. This was interclub level, so shinpads were allowed.

Ah cool , I've dabbled in a bit of combat sports myself and done a few sessions with John Craig in his Glasgow gym.

Creepy Lurker

Ah cool , I've dabbled in a bit of combat sports myself and done a few sessions with John Craig in his Glasgow gym.

Cool! I train at Headhunters in Leith under Alex Sneddon, but the interclub was through my uni club (Stirling, but it was held at Strathclyde uni). There were quite a lot of guys from Griphouse there, but I was up against one of the Strathy guys.

Cool! I train at Headhunters in Leith under Alex Sneddon, but the interclub was through my uni club (Stirling, but it was held at Strathclyde uni). There were quite a lot of guys from Griphouse there, but I was up against one of the Strathy guys.

I know a couple of griphouse fighters , I was in the Scottish national taekwondo team with one of them but he's basically doing muay Thai full time now.

Ah right, cool.

Love how you defined being in the national TKD squad as 'dabbling' :P

Haha , been doing tkd for 20 odd years and captained the national team to silver medal at 2010 world championships but during that time I've dabbled in other stuff like a few sessions with John Craig , boxing seminar with Herrol Graham , boxing training with Gary Young and entered a shed load of freestyle kickboxing tournaments all just to enhance my Tae Kwon Do game.

Creepy Lurker

Gotcha, impressive stuff. I don't have any illusions I'll actually go particularly far with this, to be honest, but I enjoy it and would like to at least get up to a half decent level.

The People's Chimp

Power plates. Anyone use them?

I'm not talking about the claims you can fit a 60 minute workout into 10 minutes, but I've been using them at my gym to work on some ski specific exercises, deep squats, plank for the core etc, and then throwing in some press ups and dips, and doing all this at the end of everything else I've been doing (i.e. not as a replacement). Thinking about it, a deep squat with thousands of vibrations is about as close to the 'feel' of skiing on your legs so it makes sense. I've found throwing this in at the end has been pretty useful, although I've not been on the hill yet to actually test myself.

Any thoughts?

Power plates. Anyone use them?

I'm not talking about the claims you can fit a 60 minute workout into 10 minutes, but I've been using them at my gym to work on some ski specific exercises, deep squats, plank for the core etc, and then throwing in some press ups and dips, and doing all this at the end of everything else I've been doing (i.e. not as a replacement). Thinking about it, a deep squat with thousands of vibrations is about as close to the 'feel' of skiing on your legs so it makes sense. I've found throwing this in at the end has been pretty useful, although I've not been on the hill yet to actually test myself.

Any thoughts?

What are you hoping to get out of using them? Do you compete at ski-ing? Is it to improve performance?

Looking for a bit of advce reagrding press ups. I have attempted to do for a good while but always found it too difficult, as if no strength in elbows or shoulders. Could only ever manage 5 or 6.

Recently attempted again but by not using fingers or thumbs on floor, only using (heel?) of hand, the part directly under wrist, and amazed that there was no pain or discomfort at all and can easily get into double figures.

Anyone any ideas on what could possibly be happening when the fingers and thumb are engaged, and why this should cause loss of power and discomfort?

The People's Chimp

What are you hoping to get out of using them? Do you compete at ski-ing? Is it to improve performance?

I was more putting them up for discussion generally. I tend to rip pretty hard when skiing so always looking at strength and endurance.

6 weeks into my hyper trophy regime. Doing not bad so far, and I've put on 1/2 stone in weight which is great for me considering I'm an ectomorph. Having to over eat is the hardest part for me as I don't have much of an appetite.

Pleased with my progress this far.

6 weeks into my hyper trophy regime. Doing not bad so far, and I've put on 1/2 stone in weight which is great for me considering I'm an ectomorph. Having to over eat is the hardest part for me as I don't have much of an appetite.

Pleased with my progress this far.

You sound like me. The eating is murder sometimes. Feel absolutely stuffed then notice I need to eat around another 1000 calories!

I'm still having trouble with my endurance though. I find it impossible to do 2 exercises of the same muscle group. For instance, I'll finish doing concentration curls then try some hammer curls, and I can barely manage any of the latter.

Creepy Lurker

...I'm an ectomorph...

Somatotypes don't exist in physiology.

Also, I don't trust people who say they struggle to eat enough. Dangerous weirdos imo.

Somatotypes don't exist in physiology.

Also, I don't trust people who say they struggle to eat enough. Dangerous weirdos imo.

:lol:

Alright then, I'm a skinny ***** :sob:

Happy now? :muggy:

You sound like me. The eating is murder sometimes. Feel absolutely stuffed then notice I need to eat around another 1000 calories!

I'm still having trouble with my endurance though. I find it impossible to do 2 exercises of the same muscle group. For instance, I'll finish doing concentration curls then try some hammer curls, and I can barely manage any of the latter.

When I'm doing biceps I do 2 sets of the following...

6 x seated hammer curls for 4 second drop on each decline. @ 12.75 KG at the moment

12 x seated hammer into concentration curls for 3 second on each decline @ 7.75KG at the moment.

25 x over handed barbell curls as fast as I can @ 25 KG at the moment.

On the second set ill drop it slightly.

If you're a skinny bugger like me then you should only workout for 45 minutes max otherwise you're shooting yourself in the foot.

Creepy Lurker

Imo, beginners should go with a really basic strength training programme like Starting Strength before doing much (possibly any) isolation work.

In love with squats and deads just now.

Doing them both twice a week. :wub:

Starting to get the hang of deads now, after nearly wrecking my back a few times.

My legs are killing me today after doing squats on Thursday.

ydapugaq.jpg

I know what you mean though, it's a great feeling you get for the rest of the day once you've done them.

Edited by Bill Paxton

Imo, beginners should go with a really basic strength training programme like Starting Strength before doing much (possibly any) isolation work.

My gym buddy mentioned this too. We're doing ok just now but if we Plateau then def going to start it.

Starting to get the hang of deads now, after nearly wrecking my back a few times.

My legs are killing me today after doing squats on Thursday.

ydapugaq.jpg

I know what you mean though, it's a great feeling you get for the rest of the day once you've done them.

:lol: great pic.

First time around I'm doing light weight, high rep. (12-20 reps)

Second time, I'm going heavy, low rep. (3-12)

Both times, i'll start at the higher end of the rep scale, adding 10kg each set, 6 times, until I reach the low end of the rep scale.

Seems to be working well.

Trained at 6.30 this morning before work on an empty stomach. Doing lean gains again with an 8 hour eating window starting from around lunch-time.

Guest GhostHunter

Thankful I go to Pure at 0400 every day - means I miss the 5pm Jan rush.

That's the only downside to Pure though - their free weights area only has one barbel bar...still, plenty other free weights and the Smith (?) machine is always free.

Anyone do any crossfit here? After going to the gym for about 10 years I find it pretty much the dullest place on earth (and rammed with arseholes posing) so I joined a crossfit gym about 4 months ago and can safely say I will (hopefully) never have to set foot in a normal gym again. Its pretty much half weight lifting, half gymnastics (bear with me) done within a time limit or a set number of rounds. You use things like olympic rings, ropes and pull up bars and there are no isolation machines or TVs, which is a nice change.

Went back last week after being back home for 10 days and had to do this, which is a typical exercise.

Warm up and Mobilise

A)

Complete as many rounds and reps as possible in 15 minutes:

10 Wall Balls (14lbs fem /20lbs male)

10 Toes to Bar (strict)

10 Power Snatch (30kg fem/42.5kg male)

B)

Midline:

3 Rounds of:

10 Poor man?s Reverse Hyper

3 Turkish Get up?s per arm (heaviest possible)

They also spend the first 20 mins of each class teaching you to lift proper, so you get instruction and tips every time. Last night was to find your 3 rep max on a strict weighted pull up. Mine was 15kg which is a helluva lot harder than it sounds.

Its a little like CreepyLurker was describing with the tabata training, basically hammering it for shorter times at greater intensity. I'm getting used to being absolutely smashed by the end although you do need to make sure your recovery is decent and you have rest days.

Creepy Lurker

Trained at 6.30 this morning before work on an empty stomach. Doing lean gains again with an 8 hour eating window starting from around lunch-time.

Also cutting at the moment with lean gains-ish. 8 hour eating window starting at 2 o'clock but not being OCD about following all of Martin Berkhan's advice as I basically just see it as an appetite control protocol. Surprising how easy it is! Trained twice yesterday and only ate about 2,500 kcal, usually I'd have been starving but having three bigger meals over a shorter period feels much more effective.

Anyone do any crossfit here? After going to the gym for about 10 years I find it pretty much the dullest place on earth (and rammed with arseholes posing) so I joined a crossfit gym about 4 months ago and can safely say I will (hopefully) never have to set foot in a normal gym again. Its pretty much half weight lifting, half gymnastics (bear with me) done within a time limit or a set number of rounds. You use things like olympic rings, ropes and pull up bars and there are no isolation machines or TVs, which is a nice change.

The conditioning training we do at Muay Thai can be quite similar at times.

A lot of people have a bit of a problem with Crossfit because a lot of its proponents come over as knobs basically (not meaning you, btw). I think that some of the principles are okay if what you're looking to do is get fit, but that it's quite often only because they're giving new names to things that have been around for ages; 'metabolic conditioning workouts' = circuit training. Also the way they try to mash about six exercises into one gets ridiculous at times (kipping reverse lunge pull-up on a Bosu ball! Lol, no) and some of the more extreme stuff can actually carry quite a high injury risk.

You'll also hear a bit of talk about 'building muscle and burning fat simultaneously'. Unless you're completely untrained, this won't happen. It's cardio with weights, and can help with fat loss if your diet is decent but is sub-optimal for muscle building.

I don't mean any of this as a criticism of Crossfit, btw: it's good cardio and a lot of people enjoy it. People who follow it often start treating it like a religion, though, which is annoying. They're the kind of people who eat 'paleo'.

Also cutting at the moment with lean gains-ish. 8 hour eating window starting at 2 o'clock but not being OCD about following all of Martin Berkhan's advice as I basically just see it as an appetite control protocol. Surprising how easy it is! Trained twice yesterday and only ate about 2,500 kcal, usually I'd have been starving but having three bigger meals over a shorter period feels much more effective.

The conditioning training we do at Muay Thai can be quite similar at times.

A lot of people have a bit of a problem with Crossfit because a lot of its proponents come over as knobs basically (not meaning you, btw). I think that some of the principles are okay if what you're looking to do is get fit, but that it's quite often only because they're giving new names to things that have been around for ages; 'metabolic conditioning workouts' = circuit training. Also the way they try to mash about six exercises into one gets ridiculous at times (kipping reverse lunge pull-up on a Bosu ball! Lol, no) and some of the more extreme stuff can actually carry quite a high injury risk.

You'll also hear a bit of talk about 'building muscle and burning fat simultaneously'. Unless you're completely untrained, this won't happen. It's cardio with weights, and can help with fat loss if your diet is decent but is sub-optimal for muscle building.

I don't mean any of this as a criticism of Crossfit, btw: it's good cardio and a lot of people enjoy it. People who follow it often start treating it like a religion, though, which is annoying. They're the kind of people who eat 'paleo'.

Yeah it is basically circuit training with weights essentially plus some gymnastic movements thrown in. We actually get quite a few women at our gym and the trainer taking each class will scale you down during a workout if you're struggling to avoid injury. They totally preach good form over weight. I haven't seen any injuries in the 4 months I have been going and I would say that's testament to the boys that run it.

I done my fundamentals course at a crossfit up the road and it was loaded with paleo eating nobs covered in tattoos. Proper rugby dickheads (the plague of Wales) who weren't my cup of tea. Left that then joined another smaller gym a bit further away where the folks are pretty decent and the 2 guys that run it seem to know their stuff. He doesnt believe in the types of ridiculous exercises you mentioned, preferring more basic functional movements and puts on other classes like Olympic lifting (so you learn proper lifting technique outwith a class), Yoga and Kettlebells. We also tend to start each session with something like finding your 5 rep max on the front squat. Then the next again week trying to increase this. Having never really done proper weights before, Im really enjoying learning the lifts.

I like it but I can totally see where you are coming from. I find that if you get a decent gym with a good crowd of folk then, for me, it's far more interesting and seems to be far more effective (for me) than bashing away in the gym on your own. all folks are different though!

Stuart McNeill

anyone know a good way just to lose belly weight to get lean atm, been far to lazy over the past few months and I want to join Pure gym just lose weight! Virgin was getting a bit too expensive!

anyway, anyone give me some tips ?!