The Official JKB What Was The Last Film You Watched...

Guest GhostHunter

Shanks said no

Gravity

4/10

Probably much better in the cinema / IMAX, lost a lot of its quality on the small screen and was disappointed

Shanks said no

Inside Llewyn Davis

7/10

Quirky Coen Brothers movie set in New York in the early sixties. Tells the story of a wannabee folk singer and the weird life he leads as he bobs around the States. Extra point for John Goodman role, who I felt stole the film. Son enjoyed it more than me.

Prince Buaben

The last passanger.

Once the hope fades of Dougray Scott getting killed fades its not to bad. 5/10

...a bit disco

Drive Hard (2014)

What the actual **** possessed John Cusack to appear in this Aussie shite?

2/10

1 for Cusack and 1 for the cars used in this abomination.

Edited by ...a bit disco

Pusher

7/10

Decent Danish film from the early 90s about a drug dealer whose operation goes tits up, featuring a young Mad Mikkelson (Hannibal) and Kim Bodnia (The Bridge).

Her

7/10

Some bloke falls in love with his operating system. :lol:

Scarlett Johansson does have a sexy voice to be fair. Strong performance from Joaquin Pheonix. Bit weird though, there are some preposterous scenes.

You're not easily impressed are you? :lol:

A few classics that I had managed to miss, that I'm sure everybody else has seen so no need for a summary.

I thought those were fair scores. :pleased:

12 years a slave 5/10 A huge disappointment.

Witness for the Prosecution 7/10 Pretty good.

Filth - I thought this was really good. Mental but original with some very funny moments. Great cast but McAvoy was outstanding. 8/10

A few documentaries...

The Fog Of War - basically a series of interviews by documentary king Errol Morris with Robert MacNamara (US Secretary of Defence during the escalation of Vietnam). Fascinating insights from someone at the heart of US politics. 7.5/10

Dark Days - very good documentary about the homeless in New York. Ace soundtrack by DJ Shadow too. 8/10

Michael H, Profession: Director - Michael Haneke is one of the best directors currently working but this isn't a particularly good documentary. Probably not helped by the fact that he's not a very willing interviewee. 6/10

Shenandoah - very good documentary about a racial murder by high school footballers in small town US. Similar themes to Friday Night Lights and The Deer Hunter. 8/10

Shanks said no

12 Years a Slave

5/10

Decent film but nothing special. Roots all those years ago told the story and this didn't bring much new to the table.

Shanks said no

The Railway Man

7/10

Very interesting story and I wish I had read the book first. Some of it had obviously been adapted for the film and it lost a bit that way, felt Colin Firth was too young for the role. Story of a former POW from the Burma railway and how he and his comrades come to terms with their ordeal.

rudi must stay

A Million Ways To Die In The West

Quite funny, some great cameos. But when you're in a film you have to atleast pretend you're acting, McFarlane doesn't do that. Which annoyed me a great deal, but that's sort of him isn't it

5/10

A Million Ways To Die In The West

Quite funny, some great cameos. But when you're in a film you have to atleast pretend you're acting, McFarlane doesn't do that. Which annoyed me a great deal, but that's sort of him isn't it

5/10

Saw this on Saturday night and I really liked it! I'd probably give it an 8. Was absolutely ridiculous in places but was good light hearted fun.

Saw Edge of Tomorrow this evening. I'd give it a 6 or 7. I think I understood what happened in it and some of it was actually pretty funny despite it being an a sci fi/action film but some of it was a bit weird and hard to understand. Not normally the type of film I'd watch but it was alright.

Shanks said no

Dallas Buyers Club

10/10

Best film I have watched this year. Absolutely superb. MM and JL rightly deserved their Oscars.

Shanks said no

August : Osage County

4/10

Star studded cast including Streep, Roberts and McGregor. Felt like an overindulgent performance piece where each star tried to outdo the other in the acting stakes. Thought it may be one for the ladies but wife didn't like it either.

Saw this on Saturday night and I really liked it! I'd probably give it an 8. Was absolutely ridiculous in places but was good light hearted fun.

Saw Edge of Tomorrow this evening. I'd give it a 6 or 7. I think I understood what happened in it and some of it was actually pretty funny despite it being an a sci fi/action film but some of it was a bit weird and hard to understand. Not normally the type of film I'd watch but it was alright.

I'd give it a good 7. Didn't think it was too hard to understand...except for why Tom Cruise is so small yet could pull Emily Blunt. :toff:

I'd give it a good 7. Didn't think it was too hard to understand...except for why Tom Cruise is so small yet could pull Emily Blunt. :toff:

I think it was just the ending that confused me. I find it difficult to follow films :lol:

I think it was just the ending that confused me. I find it difficult to follow films :lol:

Suppose you'd just need to concentrate a bit harder then. :D

X-men: Days of Future Past. The best of the X-Men series so far. One set-piece is worth the admission price alone. McAvoy is superb, we get treated to some brilliant action from some previously unseen X-Men (Blink <3 ). Jennifer Lawrence's Raven/Mystique is core to the story and is superb and bizarrely hot running about in a blue skin suit. 8.5/10

The Edge of Tomorrow. In IMAX this was bloody briiliant. Derivative - sure, it nicks ideas and tricks from a raft of films and doesn't hide it. But the excellent screenplay and the direction keep it taut, tense and it's shot through with an ironic humour. Bill Paxton ******* rocks in this! 9/10

rudi must stay

Saw it too. A fair score I can't disagree with. Certainly entertaining but when it comes to clever thrillers, Source Code is certainly above it

Oculus. Not a bad horror, not great either. Karen gillan looks good in it though! Anticlimactic ending spoiled it a bit. 6.5/10

Cidade De Deus (City of God) set in Rio favelas, two friends lives take alternative routes. In Portuguese with subtitles, I would give it 8/10 having spent a couple of weeks in Rio, glad I never experienced this aspect of the city. Gratuitous violence from really young kids which is apparently fairly common.

Shanks said no

Philomena

6/10

One for the ladies. Story of an old ladies search for her long lost son, taken away from her by bad nuns 50 or so years ago. Steve Coogan stars as Martin Sixsmith and Judi Dench as the mother, based on a true story. A few interesting twists and funny moments.

Shanks said no

Blue Jasmine

8/10

It's a while since I enjoyed a Woody Allen film as much, written and directed by him. Cate Blanchett is superb in the lead as the rich socialite who's spectacular fall from grace sees her world and mental health unravel. My only dislike was the ending but if I explain why it would spoilk it for others.

Chris Benoit

X-Men: Days of Future Past

8/10

As Gizmo said above the best X-Men movie so far.

It also seems that the ******* horrifically awful X-Men 3 has now been wiped from history thanks to this

Her

9/10

I really liked this. It's quirky, but also sad and funny in parts. To be honest, it's the most thoughtful and thought-provoking film I've seen in a while.

Her

9/10

I really liked this. It's quirky, but also sad and funny in parts. To be honest, it's the most thoughtful and thought-provoking film I've seen in a while.

The picnic scene though :cornette:

That ending has divided people it's fair to say!

Devil In A Blue Dress - enjoyable noir thriller with solid performances from Denzel, Tom Sizemore and Don Cheadle. 7/10

Enemy

7/10

Enjoyed it...but WTF. Completely unexpected final scene. Had to go and look up some theories on the interweb regarding the plot and what it was all about, and none of them are conclusive.

Rudolf's Mate

A Million Ways To Die in the West - Turned off after 15 mins! Really didn't get into it at all and can't give it a score from only 15 mins but doubt I'll revisit.

Bad Neighbors - 8/10

Really enjoyed it.

rudi must stay

The Blind Side

I feared it was going to be one of those religion saves movies. But not the case at all

8/10

Stalingrad 7/10 a russian made movie about the battle which is in English dubbed for Russian parts but in German and subtitled for the German parts. Plus the english dub is American accents which is off putting. The story though is good and its beautifully shot.

Amazing Spiderman 2. 7/10.

Was ok, had something missing, can't put my finger on it, but was an ok way to spend 2hrs.

The Art of the Steal

4/10

'Crime caper' with Kurt Russell, Matt Dillon and Terence Stamp. It's pretty crap. It's one of those films that has the makings of something, though, but never comes together. Mildly amusing at times, and Stamp is pretty good.

Edge of Tomorrow.

7.5/10

Groundhog Day meets Crysis. Ending spoiled it a wee bit for me.

Emily Blunt though :wub:

Edited by Ray Gin