The Official JKB What Was The Last Film You Watched...

Guest GhostHunter

JudyJudyJudy

" Benidictine"   This was a really good film i saw at the pics recently. 

It was about the life of the war time poet Siegfried Sassoon. He was originally  a strong campaigner for war and felt it was a noble cause to fight for ones country .  However his experiences in the first world war changed all that . He became very cynical of wars and who they benefitted mostly.  His poems were searing indictments of this. The film explores his war time experiences  and his disilloushment once he left.  He was awarded the military cross  as he was viewed as an exemplary soldier. The film also explores many of his unhappy gay relationships with well known people of that time. He married later in life and had a child but was deeply unhappy and bitter at the end of his life.  Although it all sounds depressing there are some really witty and sarcastic moments in it. I really enjoyed it. Much better than i expected. 

Edited by JamesM48

Jackass 4.5

8/10. More absolutely mental stunts different to the ones in jackass forever, accompanied by cast commentary

On 16/05/2022 at 17:17, Pans Jambo said:

The Northman. 
What the actual F……???

Had the potential to be an absolute 10/10 move and they made it a 4/10!

pesh!

Dont even bother. 

Turned it off after 30 mins

Carl Fredrickson

Watched Ghostbusters Afterlife with the kids last night. While I appreciate it may not be everyones cup of tea, we absolutely loved it. We saw it at the cinema and even watching it at home it is a family favourite. I think I gave it a 9/10 previously and I would stick by that. 

Disser Pointon

Top Gun Maverick. Cheese city, but as children of the original era the wife and I both loved it, especially after watching the original last night! 8/10.

North Berwick Jambo

Another shout for Top Gun Maverick.

If your a fan of the first film your in for a real treat, so many clever little bits paying homage to the original. Its definitely one for the cinema, the jaw dropping flying scenes actually had our seats & tables rumbling. I have to admit it’s  been a long time since I came out of the pictures cheesing that much.
Also our first trip to Everyman Cinema Edinburgh which was cool, nice staff, good menu etc and comfy double sofas to sit on, will definitely go back. 

9/10 

Telford_jambo123
On 27/05/2022 at 22:54, 1971fozzy said:

The Guilty (Netflix)

decent enough. Jake Gyllenhaal plays a troubled police detective demoted to 911 operator duty scrambles to save a distressed caller during a harrowing day of revelations -- and reckonings.  A couple of decent plot surprises and good acting. Reminded me of phone booth in a way

7/10

That’s what I thought as well. Decent film but the ending seemed rushed 6/10

Telford_jambo123

Top gun maverick. 9/10 went in sceptical but holds it own against the original.  The action sequences were incredible. 

Spoiler

The scene with val Kilmer hit the heartstrings

Carl Fredrickson

Having never seen Top Gun and all the reviews of the new firm on here, I sat down to watch the original last night. 

I thought it was ok but I dont get the hype. Planning on going to see the new one on Wednesday (struggling for films to watch at the cinema just now) and will share my thoughts afterwards.

JudyJudyJudy

I went to see “ The Northman “ last night . It really was outstanding . This review basically summarises it perfectly . What a film . if you like no holds barred  violence mixed with nihilism it’s  Your cup of tea 😎

https://amp.theguardian.com/film/2022/apr/11/the-northman-review-robert-eggers-hamlet-outrageous-violence

We went to Dominion . I bought a packet of wine gums , a  diet coke and bottle water £9.10 ! We did get free packet of Pringles and the seats are luxurious 

Fire_At_The_Disco
On 06/05/2022 at 21:04, Maple Leaf said:

Meet Joe Black.  It's an oldie (1998) but I hadn't seen it before.  Fantasy romance.  Good performances by Brad Pitt and Anthony Hopkins.  OK film, but far too long at three hours.

I liked it Maple. Anthony Hopkins is brilliant in it as is Brad Pitt. But I do agree it was a tad too long at 3 hours. 

Disser Pointon
8 hours ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

Having never seen Top Gun and all the reviews of the new firm on here, I sat down to watch the original last night. 

I thought it was ok but I dont get the hype. Planning on going to see the new one on Wednesday (struggling for films to watch at the cinema just now) and will share my thoughts afterwards.

I think you had to see it at that time to appreciate it mate, much like many things they are "of that time".

Carl Fredrickson
8 minutes ago, Disser Pointon said:

I think you had to see it at that time to appreciate it mate, much like many things they are "of that time".

Aye, I would think so too. Possibly being 30 years younger I might have appreciated it more too

Judge Fudge

The Sure Thing (1985)

A guilty pleasure of mine that I revisit every 5 years or so.

The original rom com road movie.

John Cusack and the movie have aged better than myself however.

9/10

RustyRightPeg

Rewatched The Gentleman the other night. 

Outstanding cast, one I always enjoy. 

Navalny (iPlayer)

Documentary about the attempted murder, via poisoning, of Putin's political opponent in 2020. Fascinating viewing.

4 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

Navalny (iPlayer)

Documentary about the attempted murder, via poisoning, of Putin's political opponent in 2020. Fascinating viewing.

It’s superb. Frightening stuff

On 28/05/2022 at 17:40, Muppetboy said:

Turned it off after 30 mins

Same here. When they started crawling about like dogs or whatever, that was when i turned it off. :lol: looked utter shite which was disappointing because the trailer looked good.

Carl Fredrickson

Another Top Gun Maverick. 

Very well produced with a just enough nostalgia (ie the music from the first film, credits at the start of both films, same font used in the credits etc) 

Some of the flight scenes are amazing and I would highly recommend it. A wee bit cheesy at times though 8.5/10

President (iPlayer)

Documentary following the Zimbabwean elections after the coup that ousted Mugabe. Has anything changed or is it more of the same? Another fascinating watch.

On 30/05/2022 at 11:59, Carl Fredrickson said:

I watched the new one. Average.

Maple Leaf

The Irishman (2019) 7/10

All star cast with De Niro, Pacino, Joe Pesci, and Harvey Keitel.  A mob-related story around the Hoffa era with lots of violence.

Another bladder buster at 3 1/2 hours.

Kalamazoo Jambo
4 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

The Irishman (2019) 7/10

All star cast with De Niro, Pacino, Joe Pesci, and Harvey Keitel.  A mob-related story around the Hoffa era with lots of violence.

Mrs Kalamazoo is from Lake Orion but her family all claim they have alibis.

Maple Leaf
1 hour ago, Kalamazoo Jambo said:

Mrs Kalamazoo is from Lake Orion but her family all claim they have alibis.

:biggrin2:

23 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

The Irishman (2019) 7/10

Includes some pretty impressive de-ageing technology but also one of the worst fight scenes ever put to film.

The fight is so bad that it makes you laugh.

Otherwise it's just a cut'' paste Scorsese gangster film.

29 minutes ago, Cade said:

Includes some pretty impressive de-ageing technology but also one of the worst fight scenes ever put to film.

The fight is so bad that it makes you laugh.

Otherwise it's just a cut'' paste Scorsese gangster film.

It's incredible that scene wasn't cut. :lol:

Some of the de-aging wasn't great. De Niro never looked under 40 at any point but there are bits when hes meant to be in his 20s.

Otherwise a good film.

:rofl: 

Martin should ask Marvel for some tips, instead of bad mouthing them. Terrible film.

Dick Dastardly
8 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Martin should ask Marvel for some tips, instead of bad mouthing them. Terrible film.

Jeezus 😂😂 thats embarrassing. I couldn’t even watch all of that clip

1 minute ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Jeezus 😂😂 thats embarrassing. I couldn’t even watch all of that clip

The film isn't as good as they make out. I had to switch it off . 

The Gentleman and Once upon a time in Hollywood are far superior. Hugh Grant and Colin Farrell are tremendous and Brad and Leo are incredible. Leo is the best actor in the last 40 years. Imo.

Edited by ri Alban

Dick Dastardly
7 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

The film isn't as good as they make out. I had to switch it off . 

The Gentleman and Once upon a time in Hollywood are far superior. Hugh Grant and Colin Farrell are tremendous and Brad and Leo are incredible. Leo is the best actor in the last 40 years. Imo.

Leo is a phenomenal actor. No doubt about it. He didn't seem to like Ricky Gervais's crack about him at the Golden Globes though 😂😂😂

Just now, Dick Dastardly said:

Leo is a phenomenal actor. No doubt about it. He didn't seem to like Ricky Gervais's crack about him at the Golden Globes though 😂😂😂

I thought he took it quite well. Tom Hanks on the other hand.

Dick Dastardly
9 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

I thought he took it quite well. Tom Hanks on the other hand.

I can't remember what he said about Hanks but i can remember the torn looking face afterwards 

2 hours ago, Dick Dastardly said:

I can't remember what he said about Hanks but i can remember the torn looking face afterwards 

He said nothing about him, he just didn't like what he was hearing. Most people loved it.

Some total throbbers have said the Scorsese deliberately made that fight scene bad.

On purpose used an octogenerian actor who can barely stay on his feet instead of a stuntman with a head swap in post production.

Saying it's all really viewed from the perspective of his daughter and that it's a deep study of the difference between what people think they look like and what they actually look like.

:gok:

Sorry guys. It's just pish.

Dick Dastardly
1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

He said nothing about him, he just didn't like what he was hearing. Most people loved it.

It was ages ago i watched the clips. I remember lots of the audience awkwardly laughing, but that could be my memory playing tricks on me

15 hours ago, ri Alban said:

awful film. And I’m a huge fan. 

Carl Fredrickson

Men

Didnt know anything about this other than Jessie Buckley is in it. I like her as an actress so went in with an open mind. 

Starts off ok as a suspense thriller but then it changes and IMO not for the better. I was hoping for it to come to a quick end but even at 1h 40m it dragged on. 

3/10

William H. Bonney
1 hour ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

Men

Didnt know anything about this other than Jessie Buckley is in it. I like her as an actress so went in with an open mind. 

Starts off ok as a suspense thriller but then it changes and IMO not for the better. I was hoping for it to come to a quick end but even at 1h 40m it dragged on. 

3/10

I enjoyed it. It is an odd film however.  

Hustle, 8/10

adam sandler as an nba scout who uncovers a gem in Spain and the ensuing battle to get him to the nba. Excellent sports movie

Seymour M Hersh

Character from 1945 comic book, tbh I'd never heard of the character or seen the comic books not that I'm into these things mind you. I wonder how popular they were back in the day.