The Official JKB What Was The Last Film You Watched...

Guest GhostHunter

William H. Bonney
34 minutes ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

That is great. He sums it up better than I did but I agree with him. 

He gets very animated. I can’t wait to see it, because I know how ridiculous it will be. 

Carl Fredrickson
9 minutes ago, William H. Bonney said:

He gets very animated. I can’t wait to see it, because I know how ridiculous it will be. 

It is ridiculous but engrossing. Put me in mind of Snakes on a Plane. So bad that you couldnt not enjoy it

20 hours ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

Moonfall @ the Odeon. 

The latest disaster blockbuster. This one is so bad it is good. Terribly bad. Loads of storylines, awful lines, outrageous storyline, more plot holes than any film I can think of but I couldnt look away from the screen. 

It should be a 4 or a 5 out of 10 but for it being totally mental, I will give it a 7. 

Watched it today as well; magnificently bad but i really enjoyed it 😁 not going to rate it, it exists out there on its own beyond review 😁

2 hours ago, Cade said:

Think I'd rather just watch Iron Sky again tbh

Last time I checked it had vanished of all the streaming services I have. 

25 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Last time I checked it had vanished of all the streaming services I have. 

i dont think it is on any streaming service just now.however the second one is on amazon prime video

I watched The King’s Man on Disney+. Not sure what to make of it and I’m not sure the director and writers did either. Not as humorous as the first 2 but not serious enough to be a proper action thriller. The cast try their best. 
A solid 5/10

Carl Fredrickson

Watched Forrest Gump with my son last night. His first time, I havent watched it for years. What a wonderful film and it allowed us to chat about a lot of history before his time (and some before my time). Both of us were a bit emotional at the end and it was nice to have the shared experience of such a great film. 10/10

3 hours ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

Watched Forrest Gump with my son last night. His first time, I havent watched it for years. What a wonderful film and it allowed us to chat about a lot of history before his time (and some before my time). Both of us were a bit emotional at the end and it was nice to have the shared experience of such a great film. 10/10

I love this film . I think its unfairly maligned and mocked due to " Pulp Fiction" not winning the Oscar * Best film and FG winning it. Its a beautiful film with sentiment and heart and a really positive message at times. I have a good blurb at the bit when he says  he describes that he knows what love it. Tom Hanks is a superb actor. An everyman type of actor who can play any type of role. I also like reading about how you watch films with your kids. Its a lovely memory you and they will have years from now. I used to take one of my niece's to the cinema a lot when she was a kid and every time a film come on TV which was saw it reminds me of those great times. 

Carl Fredrickson
1 hour ago, JamesM48 said:

I love this film . I think its unfairly maligned and mocked due to " Pulp Fiction" not winning the Oscar * Best film and FG winning it. Its a beautiful film with sentiment and heart and a really positive message at times. I have a good blurb at the bit when he says  he describes that he knows what love it. Tom Hanks is a superb actor. An everyman type of actor who can play any type of role. I also like reading about how you watch films with your kids. Its a lovely memory you and they will have years from now. I used to take one of my niece's to the cinema a lot when she was a kid and every time a film come on TV which was saw it reminds me of those great times. 

Tom Hanks is a favourite of mine. My kids first heard of him via Toy Story films but a while ago we watched Big and Tuner and Hooch. TH has many great films and I look forward to my son being old enough to watch the likes of The Green Mile & Saving Private Ryan. 

FG is such an amazing film. Funny, with serious moments as well as (as you said) a positive message. 

My love of films probably comes from getting to stay up when I was wee to watch the horror double bills on BBC2. This was family time and I loved it. I get my kids at weekends and strive to watch at least one film each weekend with them. Hard thing is one of them is a 6 year old girl, the other an 11 year old boy. Last night I saw Encanto with my daughter and when she was in bed FG with my son. I love it when there is a family film for all of us (Great Outdoors might be next) but also appreciate the 1-2-1 time when only two of us watch one. 

6 minutes ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

Tom Hanks is a favourite of mine. My kids first heard of him via Toy Story films but a while ago we watched Big and Tuner and Hooch. TH has many great films and I look forward to my son being old enough to watch the likes of The Green Mile & Saving Private Ryan. 

FG is such an amazing film. Funny, with serious moments as well as (as you said) a positive message. 

My love of films probably comes from getting to stay up when I was wee to watch the horror double bills on BBC2. This was family time and I loved it. I get my kids at weekends and strive to watch at least one film each weekend with them. Hard thing is one of them is a 6 year old girl, the other an 11 year old boy. Last night I saw Encanto with my daughter and when she was in bed FG with my son. I love it when there is a family film for all of us (Great Outdoors might be next) but also appreciate the 1-2-1 time when only two of us watch one. 

Yes i have happy memories of watching films with my parents. Its the shared experience.  Have they watched " Paddington 2 " Its outstanding . So funny . I went with a female friend and we loved it.  We felt a bit self conscious about going to see a " kids film but thought why not. :) Tom Hanks can play any genre. comedy , drama. western etc. Very versatile. 

Carl Fredrickson
1 hour ago, JamesM48 said:

Yes i have happy memories of watching films with my parents. Its the shared experience.  Have they watched " Paddington 2 " Its outstanding . So funny . I went with a female friend and we loved it.  We felt a bit self conscious about going to see a " kids film but thought why not. :) Tom Hanks can play any genre. comedy , drama. western etc. Very versatile. 

We love Paddington 2. The first one was good but Hugh Grant in 2 steals the show

10 hours ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

This popped up on my facebook feed the other day:

Spoiler

wu5z3a11rgf41.png

Edited by Ray Gin

Not a film but watch Jimmy Carr His Dark Material on Netflix before the PC & Snowflake brigade get it banned. Funny as feck and if you are easily offended then watch it anyway because you obviously need a life.  

The King's Man 6/10

This franchise really seems to have lost it's way.From a great first film to bat shit crazy sequel we now end up with a semi serious ( it's still mental ) almost boring prequel.

William H. Bonney

Hell House LLC.  4/5

This horror film has slowly built up a following. Some horror aficionados claim that it's one of the most effective found footage horrors.

I really enjoyed it. 
I watched it for free on YouTube 

Death on the Nile : Visually stunning, great to watch, I really enjoyed it. Usual Poirot over the top nonsense but a very enjoyable couple of hours.

8/10

On 13/02/2022 at 10:25, William H. Bonney said:

Hell House LLC.  4/5

This horror film has slowly built up a following. Some horror aficionados claim that it's one of the most effective found footage horrors.

I really enjoyed it. 
I watched it for free on YouTube 

Ive watched all 3 and, considering the budgets, they are effective and have an interesting story running through all of them. I enjoyed all 3, especially the first 🙂

On 13/02/2022 at 20:52, maroondevo52 said:

Death on the Nile : Visually stunning, great to watch, I really enjoyed it. Usual Poirot over the top nonsense but a very enjoyable couple of hours.

8/10

Saw it last night.  I enjoyed it but preferred the TV David Suchet one.  A couple of sun-plots that I liked in it.

Shanks said no

Belfast

7/10

Sorry but I didn't think it was that special, Mrs F liked it more than me. Had a Play for Today feel about it.

Copshop on Amazon. A rookie cop ends up with a con man and a professional hit man end up in a tense situation in a remote police station. 
Not bad for a film of its type with decent performances. Even Gerard Butler is OK in it. 6/10.  

8/10

I can’t stand Branagh as Poirot . He made a mess of “ Murder  on the Orient express “ ( not a patch on the classic 1974 version) and I really can’t understand why he would remake “ “Death on the Nile “ ? The 1978 version isn’t a classic but it’s a good enough version of a great book . I believe French and Saunders are playing the parts Bette Davis and Maggie Smith played in the 1978 version . Says it all really . My favourite Poirot was Albert Finney . He was superb. 

On 12/02/2022 at 14:01, Carl Fredrickson said:

We love Paddington 2. The first one was good but Hugh Grant in 2 steals the show

Oh he’s really came on as actor , gotten better with age and he’s a real hoot in this as the cad 

8/10

Carl Fredrickson

I went to see Death On The Nile at the Odeon on Monday. Fell asleep and caught the end of it. Looked to be well produced with a number of well known faces in it but cant say I enjoyed it. 

3 hours ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

I went to see Death On The Nile at the Odeon on Monday. Fell asleep and caught the end of it. Looked to be well produced with a number of well known faces in it but cant say I enjoyed it. 

Watch the 1978 version  Its terrific with a sterling cast of greats and also great real scenery and costumes . The music is by Nino  Rota of the Godfather fame. Its very stirring. 

Edited by JamesM48

Carl Fredrickson
18 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Watch the 1978 version  Its terrific with a sterling cast of greats and also great real scenery and costumes . The music is by Nino  Rota of the Godfather fame. Its very stirring. 

Thanks James, might give that a watch as it has been a while since something stirred me. 

4 minutes ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

Thanks James, might give that a watch as it has been a while since something stirred me. 

It’s very long film . Could have had some scenes chopped but it’s one of mr favourites . Especially the great banter and chemistry between Bette Davis and Maggie Smith 

Disser Pointon
15 hours ago, Tazio said:

Copshop on Amazon. A rookie cop ends up with a con man and a professional hit man end up in a tense situation in a remote police station. 
Not bad for a film of its type with decent performances. Even Gerard Butler is OK in it. 6/10.  

Watched this last night, I think you are being very generous!!!!!

34 minutes ago, Vlad Magic said:

Has anyone watched the new Dune yet?

Considering renting it whilst I self isolate.

It’s meant to be very good . Got a ton of Oscar nominations 

Just now, JamesM48 said:

It’s meant to be very good . Got a ton of Oscar nominations 

Yeah I’ve heard it’s good. The original was also decent hence my curiosity.

2 hours ago, Vlad Magic said:

Has anyone watched the new Dune yet?

Considering renting it whilst I self isolate.

I didn't rate it very highly.

Style over substance.

Everybody Speaks Every Word In Every Sentence As If It Is The Most Important Thing You Will Ever Hear In Your Life.

Edited by Cade

3 minutes ago, Cade said:

I didn't rate it very highly.

Style over substance.

Everybody Speaks Every Word In Every Sentence As If It Is The Most Important Thing You Will Ever Hear In Your Life.

👍👍

Francis Albert
On 15/02/2022 at 18:21, The Frenchman Returns said:

Belfast

7/10

Sorry but I didn't think it was that special, Mrs F liked it more than me. Had a Play for Today feel about it.

I get what you are saying but how much would you give to have Play for Today instead of the mostly formulaic crap on TV these days. My wife and I both enjoyed Belfast. It depends a bit on whether you like Van Morrison I suspect.

On 16/02/2022 at 14:10, Vlad Magic said:

Yeah I’ve heard it’s good. The original was also decent hence my curiosity.

Very different from the original. Where Lynch, for once, isn't being arch with his style and basically gets characters to reel off exposition, Villenueve dispenses of as much narrative as possible.

It looks utterly incredible, possibly the most striking cinematography since I was wowed by the original Blade Runner. So artistic. But as said by others, it is very portentious. 

Last Night in Soho.

Felt Edgar Wright really immersed himself in the 60s scenes, really drew me in to the film. Some of the practical effects are superb and the whole thing works due to the quality of the cast and if you don't think about it too much. Terence Stamp deserved a bigger role I thought,  but that was offset by how much the camera loves Anya Taylor-Joy.

If you like the cast (Thomasin McKenzie is great as the naive fish out of water) and enjoy Wright's technical prowess which looks especially appealing shot on film, along with his cracking choice of soundtrack, this is a solid 8/10. 

Carl Fredrickson

Uncharted. Kids loved it, I thought it was ok. A film inspired by a computer game. Disengage your mind from reality and you will enjoy it to a degree 6/10

1 hour ago, Cruyff said:

Clean - Starring Adrien Brody 

5.5/10 bit random and confusing. Brody's acting probably saved it from a 3/10 tbh.

I don't get that guy. I'd never heard his name until people were raving about him on here. When I realised he was in Peaky Blinders I found out he was the one I'd been laughing at for such shitty acting. He just made me think everything was an Alistair McGowan sketch.

11 minutes ago, Smithee said:

I don't get that guy. I'd never heard his name until people were raving about him on here. When I realised he was in Peaky Blinders I found out he was the one I'd been laughing at for such shitty acting. He just made me think everything was an Alistair McGowan sketch.

He does have that look about him. :lol: