The Official JKB What Was The Last Film You Watched...

Guest GhostHunter

ArcticJambo
4 hours ago, 1971fozzy said:

The restoration is all about taking blemishes out of the print and applying HDR so it will also keep the film grain. As it should.  Whites should be whiter, blacks shouldn’t be crushed or grey. It will never be like e.g Tenet etc but Can’t wait to see it.

I suspect it will look better on your big telly.  I saw Apocalyse Now on the big screen for the first time last year and it was the sound that made it for me as opposed to the picture.

18 hours ago, ri Alban said:

I'm hearing conflicting opinions of  The Batman.  

Is he a bit of a Goth?

More Emo

Hacksaw Ridge.

One of those films that gets you emotional when you watch it (I cried a bit) but on reflection isn’t that good.

I suppose thats typical of Mel Gibson films? He’s great at turning your emotional screws with heart churning scenes of battle, blood and heroism however when you look back at the film as a whole, it’s actually not that good.

Based on the true story of an American army recruit determined to go to the war but refuses to use weapons. 

It’s got some good scenes and like I said Gibson is great at tugging your heart strings however it’s not a great watch.

Andrew Garfield is very good in the lead role.

6/10

Jackass forever , 8/10

if u love jackass u will love this. Bigger and bolder and as daft as always, missing bam margera who fell out with the production due to his addiction demons

The White Cockade

I’m another that’s just gone to see The Godfather at the pictures 

Seen it dozens of times but never on the big screen 

best film ever imo and fall in love with Apollonia every time!

Edited by The White Cockade

bobby bombscare

Watched Marley and me.. ruined my night to be fair. 🤣 Kill of as many people as you want.. but the dug canny die! 

14 hours ago, Vlad Magic said:

Hacksaw Ridge.

One of those films that gets you emotional when you watch it (I cried a bit) but on reflection isn’t that good.

I suppose thats typical of Mel Gibson films? He’s great at turning your emotional screws with heart churning scenes of battle, blood and heroism however when you look back at the film as a whole, it’s actually not that good.

Based on the true story of an American army recruit determined to go to the war but refuses to use weapons. 

It’s got some good scenes and like I said Gibson is great at tugging your heart strings however it’s not a great watch.

Andrew Garfield is very good in the lead role.

6/10

Apocalypto and Passion of the Christ are phenomenal.

JudyJudyJudy
15 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Apocalypto

Brilliant film.  Still not seen " The passion of the Christ" though 

On 04/03/2022 at 19:22, Carl Fredrickson said:

West Side Story (2021 or 22) on Disney+

Spielberg will go down in history as one of the finest film makers of all time. I have not seen the original but this film is wonderfully produced, great use of colours and shadows, great acting and singing. However, not being a fan of musicals I would not make a song and dance about it. 7/10

Watch the original 

it’s amazing 

22 hours ago, Jamhammer said:

Watch the original 

it’s amazing 

Jh, in your opinion? I’m with CF about musical’s btw
Better? 

3 hours ago, maggieb said:

Jh, in your opinion? I’m with CF about musical’s btw
Better? 

Yes. It looks great. Natalie Wood is amazing (Though her voice in the songs is the great Marnie Nixon)

I love it

Francis Albert

The Duke. Overrated Would have been a decent one hour TV drama but dragged on, only came alive in the closing courtroom scenes.

Edited by Francis Albert

JudyJudyJudy
On 17/03/2022 at 23:29, Jamhammer said:

Yes. It looks great. Natalie Wood is amazing (Though her voice in the songs is the great Marnie Nixon)

I love it

I preferred Natalie Wood in the musical " Gypsy"   It was a great film , camp as Xmas and had the wonderful Rosalind Russell as the stage mother from hell. 

The Godfather and The Godfather Part 2

For me the 2 best movies ever made so I got the new 4K discs and watched them both last night and tonight. They’ve done an amazing job upgrading them in 4K. Look fantastic. Now for the 3rd one 😳

Spider Man: No Way Home.

Starts off pish, gets better. I liked the two other previous cinematic incarnations of Spider Man both showing up and being made full canon (all praise alternate realities, the saving of any flagging Hollywood sci-fi franchise). They did well to get all the original actors for all the villains to come back too.

7.5 / 10

Edited by Cade

3 minutes ago, Muppetboy said:

Boiling point. 7/10

Stephen graham is excellent as always

Meant to say, done in one take which is impressive 

Moonfall.

Really dont know where to start with this one. 

Popcorn movie. Completely batshit mental. 

Great entertainment. Wont win any Oacars. 

7/10

Weakened Offender
On 30/03/2022 at 09:42, Muppetboy said:

Boiling point. 7/10

He is but its very predictable and pretty meh. The fact its done in one take is really all that makes it stand out. 

luckyBatistuta
On 30/03/2022 at 09:42, Muppetboy said:

Boiling point. 7/10

I think he’s a great actor, but was left feeling disappointed with this

On 30/03/2022 at 09:47, Muppetboy said:

Meant to say, done in one take which is impressive 

Didn’t even realise that🤪

luckyBatistuta
On 27/03/2022 at 20:52, Vlad Magic said:

The Power Of The Dog

Wont bore you with details.

Its dog shit.

Avoid.

2/10 Could easily be a 1.

Turned it off half way through

Carl Fredrickson

Morbius. Surprisingly good 8/10

Some cracking special effects and I thought Matt Smith stole the show. Lots of action but the usual leaving things open for sequals

I’m half way through Boiling Point and so far it is just, alright, nothing more. Impressive technically doing it in one take single camera but I’m not sure how much it adds to it. Apparently they did 4 complete takes and chose the best one. 
I’m a bit baffled how people are praising Stephen Graham for being able to do it. Theatre actors do it 8 times a week and often with cast members being on stage for the entire show. 

11 hours ago, Tazio said:

I’m half way through Boiling Point and so far it is just, alright, nothing more. Impressive technically doing it in one take single camera but I’m not sure how much it adds to it. Apparently they did 4 complete takes and chose the best one. 
I’m a bit baffled how people are praising Stephen Graham for being able to do it. Theatre actors do it 8 times a week and often with cast members being on stage for the entire show. 

Is everyone not just praising Stephen Graham in general, rather than for his ability to do a single take? He's a brilliant actor.

36 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Is everyone not just praising Stephen Graham in general, rather than for his ability to do a single take? He's a brilliant actor.

I meant more in general than on here. I didn’t word it very clearly. 

luckyBatistuta
8 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

Great actor, watched most of his stuff, but had to turn this off near the end of the first episode, mind boggling why he agreed to that

84FFC477-50C2-42D7-A389-E5A5E8EB1853.jpeg

2 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Great actor, watched most of his stuff, but had to turn this off near the end of the first episode, mind boggling why he agreed to that

84FFC477-50C2-42D7-A389-E5A5E8EB1853.jpeg

it gets better and is a funny watch

luckyBatistuta
5 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

it gets better and is a funny watch

I love stupid humour but just couldn’t

Took the lad to see The Batman last night.

Quite enjoyed it. A bit more dark and realistic than most of the previous versions. No futuristic flying electronic sonic laser digital things in this one other than what he puts in his eye.

8/10

JudyJudyJudy

" Death on the Nile".  2022 version.

Kenneth Branagh as Poirot for a second time after " Murder on the Orient Express".  

The only good thing to say about this film is its slightly better than his Orient express.

Its a classic whodunnit and it was a relatively good 1978  version of it.  This film is bland, boring and despite the cast is just stodgey     Imagine replacing Bette David and Maggie Smith with French and Saunders.. They are nowhere near the acting class of those two legends.  They also changed a lot of the characters in it and  recast some  with black actors .  To be right on i suppose but doesnt fit the era the film is in really. 

Even the scenery is mainly CGI 

3/10  

Has probably been discussed here a few times but I haven’t watched it in years. It’s on Prime for free.

”Dead Mans Shoes”

If you haven’t seen this masterpiece I suggest you do. 

10/10

The Sparks Brothers on Netflix. Fascinating documentary about the band Sparks. Hadn’t realised they’ve released 25 albums. I only knew their hits from the Mael Intuition compilation but I will be listening to more after this. Both brothers are really cool guys.

Weakened Offender
On 04/04/2022 at 20:09, JamesM48 said:

also changed a lot of the characters in it and  recast some  with black actors .  To be right on i suppose but doesnt fit the era the film is in really. 

Oh dear. 

On 04/04/2022 at 20:09, JamesM48 said:

" Death on the Nile".  2022 version.

Kenneth Branagh as Poirot for a second time after " Murder on the Orient Express".  

The only good thing to say about this film is its slightly better than his Orient express.

Its a classic whodunnit and it was a relatively good 1978  version of it.  This film is bland, boring and despite the cast is just stodgey     Imagine replacing Bette David and Maggie Smith with French and Saunders.. They are nowhere near the acting class of those two legends.  They also changed a lot of the characters in it and  recast some  with black actors .  To be right on i suppose but doesnt fit the era the film is in really. 

Even the scenery is mainly CGI 

3/10  

I hadn't realised Agatha had written documentaries. 

I tried to watch Motherless Brooklyn last night on Prime but gave up half way through. Edward Norton's performance was decent enough but the plot was hard to follow and not captivating enough for me to continue watching.

Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom. On Netflix. 
Spent the first part thinking Chadwick Boseman had got the plaudits out of sympathy at his sad death as the entire cast were excellent. But then about half way through his character really came into it and it really is a great performance by him. 

Shanks said no

The power of the dog

8/10

Having read some of the earlier reviews I realise I am going out on a limb here but we watched it last night and all 3 of us thought it was really good. Yes its long and can feel slow at times but one of the best westerns I have seen in a while. 

JudyJudyJudy
1 hour ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

The power of the dog

8/10

Having read some of the earlier reviews I realise I am going out on a limb here but we watched it last night and all 3 of us thought it was really good. Yes its long and can feel slow at times but one of the best westerns I have seen in a while. 

I’ve thought about watching it but the reviews put me off , which is unlike me really . The cast are incredible so it surely can’t be that bad and clearly isn’t if you liked it . Good to see Kirsten Dunst finally getting Oscar nominated . She should been for several films . 

Oxygen (Netflix, 2021)

French/American sci-fi movie starring Melanie Laurent as a woman who suddenly wakes up in an airtight medical pod which is losing oxygen, with no memory of who she is or why she's there.

Most of it is just her and the camera. Other actors appear via flashbacks. Great acting on show.

French dialogue, English subtitles.

Solid 8/10

On 12/04/2022 at 12:41, JamesM48 said:

I’ve thought about watching it but the reviews put me off , which is unlike me really . The cast are incredible so it surely can’t be that bad and clearly isn’t if you liked it . Good to see Kirsten Dunst finally getting Oscar nominated . She should been for several films . 

Not wishing to put you off and everyone has different taste but I really didn’t enjoy it.

I thought it was a pile of shit to be honest.

Watched “new” Dune last night.

Well part 1 of 3 I believe?

Enough going on to keep you interested. Not enough explanation of how the 2 houses ended up leaving/taking Arrakis over. The politics as a whole a bit left for you to work out.

High hopes for parts 2 and 3.