The Official JKB What Was The Last Film You Watched...

Guest GhostHunter

On 16/09/2021 at 09:46, 1971fozzy said:

I thought Once upon a Time in Hollywood was damn near a 10/10.   Loved it as I do all his films.  So many memorable scenes. Think I’ve watched it 4 times and it gets better each viewing 🤷🏻‍♂️

I really didn’t like Django or Hateful 8 but thought Once upon a time was superb 

Schumacher on Netflix. Excellent documentary about Michael Schumacher’s life and career. Very balanced writing and I’m glad that they included lots of stuff about his life outside racing and his family. Very emotional last few minutes talking about his accident and how it changed his family. I always knew of that side of him and was pleased it was confirmed to more people when he made a massive donation to the charity set up for relief from the tsunami in south east Asia. Despite the British press always portraying him as a robotic ruthless racing machine he seemed to have had a much better life/racing balance than a lot of other driver then, and especially now. 

Carl Fredrickson
8 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Schumacher on Netflix. Excellent documentary about Michael Schumacher’s life and career. Very balanced writing and I’m glad that they included lots of stuff about his life outside racing and his family. Very emotional last few minutes talking about his accident and how it changed his family. I always knew of that side of him and was pleased it was confirmed to more people when he made a massive donation to the charity set up for relief from the tsunami in south east Asia. Despite the British press always portraying him as a robotic ruthless racing machine he seemed to have had a much better life/racing balance than a lot of other driver then, and especially now. 

I am not an F1 fan but thought this was an excellent documentary. As you say, it showed a lot of his life away from the circuit and he seems to be loved and valued by everyone who knows him. Heart breaking at times - especially the part with Senna. 

“ Callas by Maria “  documentary about the great opera singer Maria Callas in her own words , from interviews and letters . Fascinating insight in her life and art . She died of a heart attack at only 53.   She had a life long affair with Aristotle Onassis who then dumped her for Jackie Kennedy but then when back to her before his death . I always thought she was a great beauty too . 9/10 for this film as it also has many of her great arias in it . It was on BBC 2 so may be on iPlayer 

Edited by JamesM48

chester copperpot

Watched Rise of the Footsoldier 3 on Sunday morning.

Was that bad, I actually burst out laughing as it was more of a comedy.

Absolutely one of the worst films I have ever watched! -0/10

Give it an 8/10 for his it was done and showing what these guys were actually going through.

I wish I wasn't aware of it being done by a single camera as I was waiting to see one edit.  

Did they begin again when the German camp collapsed on them?

4 hours ago, Auldbenches said:

Give it an 8/10 for his it was done and showing what these guys were actually going through.

I wish I wasn't aware of it being done by a single camera as I was waiting to see one edit.  

Did they begin again when the German camp collapsed on them?

There are hundreds of cuts in 1917.

Spotting them becomes a game.

The editors did a great job on that.

Any time something passes in front of the camera and obscures the main action, that'll be a cut.

Or when someone walks into darkness then back out again, the cut is hidden in the dark.

1 minute ago, Cade said:

Any time something passes in front of the camera and obscures the main action, that'll be a cut.

Or when someone walks into darkness then back out again, the cut is hidden in the dark.

At the beginning I was torn between watching the movie for the story and trying to see if I could see the cuts. 

Thinking about it.  It would've been some effort for that guy to do all that in one or two takes.  

Though the guys who were there probably had times like that.

21 hours ago, Cade said:

Yeah there were lots of clever cuts.

The only film I've seen that was truly recorded in one continuous take without cuts is a German film called "Victoria". Slow start but fair explodes into life in the second half and is well worth a watch. Very impressive by both the actors and the film crew to pull it off.

Edited by Ray Gin

luckyBatistuta
30 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Yeah there were lots of clever cuts.

The only film I've seen that was truly recorded in one continuous take without cuts is a German film called "Victoria". Slow start but fair explodes into life in the second half and is well worth a watch. Very impressive by both the actors and the film crew to pull it off.

Cheers Ray, gonna try and find this now

22 hours ago, Cade said:

22 hours ago, Auldbenches said:

At the beginning I was torn between watching the movie for the story and trying to see if I could see the cuts. 

Thinking about it.  It would've been some effort for that guy to do all that in one or two takes.  

Though the guys who were there probably had times like that.

I gave it around 20 mins but I found the continuous filming too jarring and I couldn’t watch it any more . The great Hitchcock pioneered this technique with “ Rope “ in 1948 . It got so so reviews . 

Carl Fredrickson

The Many Saints of Newark

The story of Tony Sopranos childhood/teenage years. Not the best film nor the worst. Very well produced but felt it may have been best done as a mini series. 7.5/10

On 21/09/2021 at 11:43, Muppetboy said:

Malignant. Makes b movies seem like blockbusters. Avoid, 3/10

Saw this, when they had the big reveal i nearly burst out laughing 😁 I like James Wan but this was awful. 

Think your 3/10 was generous!

21 hours ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

The Many Saints of Newark

The story of Tony Sopranos childhood/teenage years. Not the best film nor the worst. Very well produced but felt it may have been best done as a mini series. 7.5/10

I’m looking forward to this . 

2 hours ago, Vansen said:

Saw this, when they had the big reveal i nearly burst out laughing 😁 I like James Wan but this was awful. 

Think your 3/10 was generous!

Accidentally thought it was generous too after I posted 

16 hours ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

Watched Mrs Doubtfire last night with the kids. Still a very funny and sad film. Robin Williams is sadly missed. 8/10

Watched Patch Adams a few weeks ago and you forget how he was. 

Watched Mrs Doubtfire last night with the kids. Still a very funny and sad film. Robin Williams is sadly missed. 8/10

i like the trailer but it is as a horror film

2 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

i like the trailer but it is as a horror film

I saw this before . Isn’t it incredible what editing and music can do ? Amazing 

I recall taking one of my neices to see it . We loved it . Nice memory 

Twin Town.

Haven’t seen it in years. It’s a classic I guess? 2 brothers who do lots of drugs and steal cars in Swansea get into a war with a wealthy business owner when their dad takes a fall repairing his roof.

Some brilliant scenes. Magic mushrooms on your hot dog sir?

Its not on Netflix or Amazon but someone has kindly uploaded the whole thing to YouTube although the quality is a bit poor.

Shanks said no

The Many Saints of Newark

7/10

Enjoyable and for true Sopranos fans probably even better. I have watched the series but missed a lot of the nuances in the film, I spent too much time trying to work out who was who. My son understood it more as a proper fan. As others have said it would have been better as a mini series.

7 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Watching the promotion of James Bond. It has disappeared up its own arse.

Heard it is over 3.5 hours long.

I will give  it a miss until a decent copy becomes available.

8 minutes ago, benny said:

Heard it is over 3.5 hours long.

I will give  it a miss until a decent copy becomes available.

the time i have seen is 2 hours 43 mins still very long

4 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

the time i have seen is 2 hours 43 mins still very long

Aye but does it have a speedboat chase,a few car chases,gadgets and female baddies that he shags.😄

1 hour ago, Vlad Magic said:

Twin Town.

Haven’t seen it in years. It’s a classic I guess? 2 brothers who do lots of drugs and steal cars in Swansea get into a war with a wealthy business owner when their dad takes a fall repairing his roof.

Some brilliant scenes. Magic mushrooms on your hot dog sir?

Its not on Netflix or Amazon but someone has kindly uploaded the whole thing to YouTube although the quality is a bit poor.

Also the sheer hilarity of Dougray Scott having to wear a Rangers top. 

Alita Battle Angel.

Decent sci-fi manga action done by Hollywood.

Only let down by the film stopping before the final act, in an attempt to provoke a sequel that looks like never happening.

2 hours long when it could easily have gone to 150 or 180 minutes and actually have a proper ending.

Shanks said no

Untold: Crime & Penalties

8/10

Remarkable documentary film on Netflix. Obvious comparisons with the Sopranos, a Connecticut mafia boss with a trash firm. He buys an ice hockey team for his 17-year-old son to manage. Imagine giving one of the young team the keys to Tynecastle and you get the idea. Weirdly though the team are good as well as extraordinarily violent.

7 minutes ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

8/10

Remarkable documentary film on Netflix. Obvious comparisons with the Sopranos, a Connecticut mafia boss with a trash firm. He buys an ice hockey team for his 17-year-old son to manage. Imagine giving one of the young team the keys to Tynecastle and you get the idea. Weirdly though the team are good as well as extraordinarily violent.

It’s a pretty mad story from the start. Totally bizarre mix of odd characters in the team and the thoroughly unlikeable kit man. 

luckyBatistuta

Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings

Took the kids to see this and a big thumbs up from us all. Loads of cracking fight scenes. If anyone is going to the cinema to see this, make sure you stay until the very end until the screen goes completely black. It takes a while, but there is two hidden endings in there.

8/10

1 hour ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

8/10

I also thought this was fantastic.  Some of the crowd scenes brilliant.

American schemies at their best.  

I'd recommend this to anyone. 

Well deserved 8/10  

9 hours ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

8/10

Well I loved the sopranos so I’ll give this a bash 

858C97E9-BA00-4F0B-BCA9-D0F4E8CB47C7.png

9 hours ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

8/10

Well I loved the sopranos so I’ll give this a bash 

William H. Bonney
11 hours ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

8/10

Untold: Malace at the Palace is also very good. 
It’s about a riot at a NBA game. 

chester copperpot

The rise of the footsoldier 3.

Utterly utterly dreadful. The acting was that bad that I actually thought it was more of a comedy,

0/10

Shanks said no
7 hours ago, Furious Styles said:

Untold: Malace at the Palace is also very good. 
It’s about a riot at a NBA game. 

thanks FS watched it this afternoon 

7/10

A basketball team like Cantona on steroids only spoilt by American fans who need lessons in rioting. 

56 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

The Many Saints Of Newark

Very good, twists and turns applenty and Michael Gandolfini is a find

8/10

That's mine as well, really enjoyed it.  It also captured the humour that underlines the TV series.

Young Silvio has all the mannerisms that Steve Van Zandt brought to the role, but with a receding hairline that is eventually replaced by that ridiculous hairpiece, which even comes off during one of the scenes.  Also, the young Paulie Walnuts obsessed with personal hygiene.

I also loved the fact that the deceased Christopher Moltisanti acts as narrator from beyond the grave.  It was his father who was the central character in the movie, Dickie Moltisanti, and of course moltisanti translates from Italian to many saints, hence the movie's title.

I'd love to see a follow up to this movie, tracing the young Tony Soprano's rise to becoming a serious player in the family.