The Official JKB What Was The Last Film You Watched...

Guest GhostHunter

luckyBatistuta

Once Upon a Time..In Hollywood

Took a long time to get around to watching this and have to say that I was a tad disappointed. Quite slow, but hung in there and a bit meh really

6/10

• Replies 10.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rudi must stay

• The Frenchman Returns

• Ray Gin

• Carl Fredrickson

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Winter's Bone   Tough drama set in really small town USA (Ozark Mountains).   Really impressed at the performances in this - a few Oscar nominations at the time.   7.5/10

Posted Images

8 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Took a long time to get around to watching this and have to say that I was a tad disappointed. Quite slow, but hung in there and a bit meh really

6/10

I'm sure I posted a seethe about that on this thread already.

Tarantino is a parody of himself these days.

It's about 90 minutes too long.

Hours of people just talking utter pish.

Lots of close up shots of women's manky feet.

Then one big bout of ultra violence at the end.

Garbage.

Auldbenches
26 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

6/10

Was expecting a lot better with it being Tarantino.  It felt more like a bad guy Ritchie movie.  

luckyBatistuta
10 hours ago, Cade said:

Hours of people just talking utter pish.

Garbage.

Have to agree

10 hours ago, Auldbenches said:

Was expecting a lot better with it being Tarantino.  It felt more like a bad guy Ritchie movie.  

A few of my favourite films are from Tarantino, but also think some of his movies are pure garbage. Sadly this fell into the latter. A bit of a lottery with his films.

19 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

*Have to agree

A few of my favourite films are from Tarantino, but also think some of his movies are pure garbage. Sadly this fell into the latter. A bit of a lottery with his films.

Amazing. 

Doesn't stop you 2 on JKB. :)

On 13/09/2021 at 22:24, Cade said:

*Hours of people just talking utter pish.

Garbage.

22 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Have to agree

I’ve always felt he was overrated . Only film I really liked of his was “ Jackie Brown” 

luckyBatistuta
2 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

I’ve always felt he was overrated . Only film I really liked of his was “ Jackie Brown” 

Out of the ones he directed, the only ones I rate are Inglourious Basterds and Kill Bill Vol.1. I’ve never understood the mass love-in for Reservoir Dogs. It had a great cast, especially Steve Buscemi, who is one of my favourite actors, but thought it was boring as.

3 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Out of the ones he directed, the only ones I rate are Inglourious Basterds and Kill Bill Vol.1. I’ve never understood the mass love-in for Reservoir Dogs. It had a great cast, especially Steve Buscemi, who is one of my favourite actors, but thought it was boring as.

Yes I thought it was crap too and agree about Steve Buscemi . He was great in the “ Sopranos” 

34 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

some of his earlier films that he wrote are better. i.e. natural born killers which if you look at the world todau you could say was ahead of its time where media glamourises infamy/fame etc. it probably only was as good due to having oliver stone as director

luckyBatistuta
40 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Yes I thought it was crap too and agree about Steve Buscemi . He was great in the “ Sopranos” 

Boardwalk Empire too, great performance all around and a great series

8 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

some of his earlier films that he wrote are better. i.e. natural born killers which if you look at the world todau you could say was ahead of its time where media glamourises infamy/fame etc. it probably only was as good due to having oliver stone as director

I turned NBK off, was bored watching it. I might revisit it, as I’ve enjoyed the odd film that I’ve given a second chance. A writer on my all time favourite film True Romance, so I’ll always thank him for that.

luckyBatistuta
6 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Amazing. 

Doesn't stop you 2 on JKB. :)

EB12A995-3EFE-4554-9550-DB05C9CAD8D8.gif

Savage Vince
9 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Boardwalk Empire too, great performance all around and a great series

I turned NBK off, was bored watching it. I might revisit it, as I’ve enjoyed the odd film that I’ve given a second chance. A writer on my all time favourite film True Romance, so I’ll always thank him for that.

True Romance is a work of genius. 

luckyBatistuta
12 minutes ago, Savage Vince said:

True Romance is a work of genius. 

I’ve never watched any film as many times as True Romance, just so many great performances and some of the all time great scenes.

Savage Vince
1 minute ago, luckyBatistuta said:

I’ve never watched any film as many times as True Romance, just so many great performances and some of the all time great scenes.

Aye, it's time I watched it again tbh. 😊

I thought Once upon a Time in Hollywood was damn near a 10/10.   Loved it as I do all his films.  So many memorable scenes. Think I’ve watched it 4 times and it gets better each viewing 🤷🏻‍♂️

How The West Was Won.

Classic. The stampeding buffalo scene still brilliant to this day.

Must have been over 40 years since I watched it. 

Edited by benny
19 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Utter pish.

I wish mark kermode stuck to simple reviews like this. 

Just watched Patch Adams and an enjoyable feel good movie for a quiet Friday. 

7/10   

56 minutes ago, Auldbenches said:

It's set in England...

:lol: probably right.

I thought it was a cracking film.

Dead Man's Shoes

Edited by Tommy Brown
1 minute ago, Tommy Brown said:

Dead Man's Shoes

I better let him know on joking or I'm getting dragged over hadrian's wall.

2 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

Dead Man's Shoes

paddy considine is excellent in it. all in it is a very good film

Nobody - Starring Bob Odenkirk. It's basically the Equaliser crossed with John Wick and it does hold a candle to both to be fair. Unoriginal but it's entertaining, for that I'll give it 7.5/10. 

rudi will give it 10/10. :lol:

The Frenchman Returns

Everybody's Talking About Jamie

7/10

Maybe being over generous but I enjoyed it. British musical about a 16 year old in Sheffield who wants to be a drag queen. 

21 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

WHAT‽?????????

Rotten. The whole concept. But each to their own, I suppose. I like some shite films anaw. 👍 As for the other dud that quoted you, the film is less boring than it :)

1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

Rotten. The whole concept. But each to their own, I suppose. I like some shite films anaw. 👍 As for the other dud that quoted you, the film is less boring than it :)

What other one🥺

On 16/09/2021 at 09:46, 1971fozzy said:

I thought Once upon a Time in Hollywood was damn near a 10/10.   Loved it as I do all his films.  So many memorable scenes. Think I’ve watched it 4 times and it gets better each viewing 🤷🏻‍♂️

I really didn’t like Django or Hateful 8 but thought Once upon a time was superb 

Schumacher on Netflix. Excellent documentary about Michael Schumacher’s life and career. Very balanced writing and I’m glad that they included lots of stuff about his life outside racing and his family. Very emotional last few minutes talking about his accident and how it changed his family. I always knew of that side of him and was pleased it was confirmed to more people when he made a massive donation to the charity set up for relief from the tsunami in south east Asia. Despite the British press always portraying him as a robotic ruthless racing machine he seemed to have had a much better life/racing balance than a lot of other driver then, and especially now. 

Carl Fredrickson
8 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Schumacher on Netflix. Excellent documentary about Michael Schumacher’s life and career. Very balanced writing and I’m glad that they included lots of stuff about his life outside racing and his family. Very emotional last few minutes talking about his accident and how it changed his family. I always knew of that side of him and was pleased it was confirmed to more people when he made a massive donation to the charity set up for relief from the tsunami in south east Asia. Despite the British press always portraying him as a robotic ruthless racing machine he seemed to have had a much better life/racing balance than a lot of other driver then, and especially now. 

I am not an F1 fan but thought this was an excellent documentary. As you say, it showed a lot of his life away from the circuit and he seems to be loved and valued by everyone who knows him. Heart breaking at times - especially the part with Senna. 

“ Callas by Maria “  documentary about the great opera singer Maria Callas in her own words , from interviews and letters . Fascinating insight in her life and art . She died of a heart attack at only 53.   She had a life long affair with Aristotle Onassis who then dumped her for Jackie Kennedy but then when back to her before his death . I always thought she was a great beauty too . 9/10 for this film as it also has many of her great arias in it . It was on BBC 2 so may be on iPlayer 

Edited by JamesM48
chester copperpot

Watched Rise of the Footsoldier 3 on Sunday morning.

Was that bad, I actually burst out laughing as it was more of a comedy.

Absolutely one of the worst films I have ever watched! -0/10

Give it an 8/10 for his it was done and showing what these guys were actually going through.

I wish I wasn't aware of it being done by a single camera as I was waiting to see one edit.  

Did they begin again when the German camp collapsed on them?

4 hours ago, Auldbenches said:

Give it an 8/10 for his it was done and showing what these guys were actually going through.

I wish I wasn't aware of it being done by a single camera as I was waiting to see one edit.  

Did they begin again when the German camp collapsed on them?

There are hundreds of cuts in 1917.

Spotting them becomes a game.

The editors did a great job on that.

Any time something passes in front of the camera and obscures the main action, that'll be a cut.

Or when someone walks into darkness then back out again, the cut is hidden in the dark.

Auldbenches
1 minute ago, Cade said:

Any time something passes in front of the camera and obscures the main action, that'll be a cut.

Or when someone walks into darkness then back out again, the cut is hidden in the dark.

At the beginning I was torn between watching the movie for the story and trying to see if I could see the cuts. 

Thinking about it.  It would've been some effort for that guy to do all that in one or two takes.  

Though the guys who were there probably had times like that.

21 hours ago, Cade said:

Yeah there were lots of clever cuts.

The only film I've seen that was truly recorded in one continuous take without cuts is a German film called "Victoria", which is well worth a watch. Slow start but fair explodes into life in the second half and is well worth a watch. Very impressive by both the actors and the film crew to pull it off.