The Official JKB What Was The Last Film You Watched...

Guest GhostHunter

JudyJudyJudy
On 08/08/2021 at 13:28, Vlad Magic said:

Interstellar.

I always seem to be late to the table when it comes to really good films.

Anyway this is a cracker. Real mind bender with theory of time travel, black holes and 3rd to 5th dimensions.

Matthew McConnaughey who I really like as an actor in the lead role. Great special effects. Couple of really emotional scenes.

Its a strong 9/10 film.

Recommended.

It’s excellent .  Very thought provoking.  The film “ Arrival” is similar and also excellent 

7 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

It’s excellent .  Very thought provoking.  The film “ Arrival” is similar and also excellent 

Does that have Jodie Foster in it?

JudyJudyJudy
4 hours ago, Vlad Magic said:

No the great  it’s with Amy Adams your thinking of “ contact “ another film similar to both 

Edited by JamesM48

16 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

No the great  it’s with Amy Adams your thinking of “ contact “ another film similar to both 

Thats the one.

Yes Contact is a great film.

Will look up Arrival on your recommendation 👍

JudyJudyJudy
8 minutes ago, Vlad Magic said:

Thats the one.

Yes Contact is a great film.

Will look up Arrival on your recommendation 👍

It’s incredible . Very thought provoking 

JudyJudyJudy

Storyville : The hikacker who vanished . The mystery of DB Cooper

Another fascinating documentary from this series about incredible true story of the guy who hijacked a plane , jumped out of it at 10,000 with half million dollars . He was never found . There are various people interviewed on it who claim their husband / friend / uncle was the almost now mythical Dan Cooper . 

On 10/08/2021 at 01:52, Vlad Magic said:

On 10/08/2021 at 05:53, JamesM48 said:

I think it was Anne Hathaway.

7 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

I think it was Anne Hathaway.

AH was in Interstellar Ron. I was asking about JF being in Contact and she was 👍👍

4 minutes ago, Vlad Magic said:

AH was in Interstellar Ron. I was asking about JF being in Contact and she was 👍👍

Gotcha.  I watched Interstellar after reading your 9/10 review.  It was good, up until the time he went into the Black Hole, then it became a bit weird.  But I'm not a big sci-fi fan, so it's probably me!  :wink:

JudyJudyJudy
10 minutes ago, Vlad Magic said:

👍👍

On 05/08/2021 at 14:48, Carl Fredrickson said:

Suicide Squad. Nice way to escape from real life for a couple of hours. Decent soundtrack, a few funny bits, lots of violence. Margot Robbie and Sylvester Stallones best role since Rocky. 8/10

Loved it.

Right amount of dark comedy and some great action

Also 8/10

JudyJudyJudy

A great

anecdote about some modern film making 

I couldn't agree more with Lauren Bacall...this is great :  

"In old age, she raged against what she saw as the mediocrity of contemporary Hollywood, as represented by everything from the career of Tom Cruise to the Twilight movies that her granddaughter dragged her to see. “She said it was the greatest vampire film ever made,” Bacall recalled. “After the film was over, I wanted to smack her across the head with my shoe.”

21 hours ago, rudi must stay said:

Free Guy

I have simple taste. Good acting, continuity and a bit of originality. This has all that

10/10

8/10 for me. 

On 13/08/2021 at 11:47, Harry Potter said:

Prisoners, 2013, Sky Witness,  8/10, 

Seen it in the cinema years ago though it was good and there may be a second still nothing after 8 year.

8/10 

Ron Burgundy

Having not seen any of the previous Suicide Squad stuff I watched the latest one last night. Quite enjoyed it. Bloody gory nonsense which reminded me of Deadpool but not as funny.

Memories of a Murderer (Netflix)

Documentary about Scottish serial killer, Dennis Nilsen. Surprisingly I'd never heard of this guy considering how awful his crimes were. 

7/10

6 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Memories of a Murderer (Netflix)

Documentary about Scottish serial killer, Dennis Nilsen. Surprisingly I'd never heard of this guy considering how awful his crimes were. 

7/10

if you liked that then you might like the 3 part series Des that is available on itv player staring david tennant as nilsen

26 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

if you liked that then you might like the 3 part series Des that is available on itv player staring david tennant as nilsen

I usually try and avoid ITV dramas wherever possible but I'll give it a shot  👍

58 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

Excellent performance from the entire cast but Tennant is outstanding in it. 

Carl Fredrickson

Took the kid to see Free Guy last night. They loved it and it is a decent family film. My son recognised a lot of Youtubers and got a lot of the references to other films and games. 

I thought it was a decent feel good film but there is a 5 minute seen that I (and most of the audience) found very funny. It was great to hear people laughing in the cinema again. 

Unsure about a score. I would give it a 7 (kids say 10) but the 5 minute scene is worth a 10 on its own.

rudi must stay

Se7en

Fincher by all accounts is very full of himself but he makes great films and plays by his own rules. He has no time for generic films you can tell. I have never disagreed with the running times of any of his films

10/10

Savage Vince

They Look Like People. 

A very odd film about two odd lads who are/were pals. The last 10 minutes makes the rest worthwhile. 

7/10

JudyJudyJudy

This was a brilliant film about an ageing gay hairdresser living in an old folks home who is asked to do the make up / hair for an ex client “ a bitch Rich Republican “ 😂 it’s very moving as well as funny as hell at times with a great central performance from the lead German actor Udi Keir . It may win awards i think . A great soundtrack too . Excellent life affirming

The Tomorrow War.

Bog standard Hollywood sci-fi nonsense.

Aliens, time travel, war, the usual kind of thing.

7/10. Chews up a couple of hours if you have nothing better to do.

Shanks said no

Villians

6.5/10

Sick black comedy, fairly low budget but had something about it that I liked and passed the time. Available on Netflix.

Watched The Circle and Level 16 on Netflix. Both 5/10 however with a bigger budget they would have been even better. The Circle is a company/life you maybe might not want to join. Level 16 is the girls school? with a secret. Both ok and not too long.

JudyJudyJudy

I watched a couple of “oldies “ last night 

“ farewell my lovely “ 1975 with Robert Mitchum Sylvia Miles Charlotte Rampling . Really good adaptation of the classic Raymond Chandler book . Mitchum was a terrific actor . Very tough and masculine on screen , a real presence on it . The plot is very complex 

“ Tight spot “ 1955 crime film noir with Ginger Rogers Edward G Robinson and Brian Keith . This was really good . Rogers plays a jail bird who is asked to be a witness against a mob boss . She must be protected from the mob until she takes the stand . Rogers is great in this . She played working class sassy characters really well . An underrated actress . This was on YouTube . 

Untold: Deal With the Devil (Netflix) 

Documentary about the rise to fame of female boxer, Christy Martin, and the turmoil in her personal life leading to her attempted murder. 

7.5/10

Carl Fredrickson

Two trips to the cinema in two nights. 

Last night I went to see The Courier. Excellent watch and Benedict Cumberbatch plays his role very well. Based on real events that I didnt know about. 9/10

Tonight - Our Ladies. I am unsure about this one. Great tunes on it but the first hour I thought it was attempting to be a low budget Scottish comedy but the last half hour it took a serious turn. First hour, 3/10 last half hour 7/10.

Palmer 6/10

It centres on Palmer (played by Justin Timberlake) a recently released convict looking to turn his life around who strikes up a friendship with a non-binary kid who is regularly bullied and who lives in shit circumstances.

I thought the acting and filmography was good but the script was terrible. 

Aretha.
Watched it last night. With Jennifer Hudson. That is one talented lassie. Oscar winning performance imo. had her first baby at twelve years old ffs!  

Iceman (Prime)

Bloody neolithic people, murdering families and stealing sacred relics. Very little dialogue, and what few words are said aren't translated into subtitles, as you don't really need to know exactly what they're saying to follow what's happening.

7/10

On 30/08/2021 at 23:34, Ray Gin said:

Untold: Deal With the Devil (Netflix) 

Documentary about the rise to fame of female boxer, Christy Martin, and the turmoil in her personal life leading to her attempted murder. 

7.5/10

This was fantastic. What an absolute tosser her husband/trainer was. Pure freeloader. 

2 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

This was fantastic. What an absolute tosser her husband/trainer was. Pure freeloader. 

Indeed. Leeching scumbag