The Official JKB What Was The Last Film You Watched...

Guest GhostHunter

Ron Burgundy
On 04/07/2021 at 12:31, JamesM48 said:

•  

“ Mcenroe v Borg “ the film was on BBC2 on Friday night . It was excellent . It might be on catch up ? It was so good . The tennis scenes were terrific , so realistic . The acting was superb too . It was great to see the contrast of the two players  . Borg , cold , calm and methodical ,Mc completely the opposite . Reminds me of the contrast between Evert and Navratilova. Evert , the “ all American sweetheart “ , Pretty , Unemotional and ice and from a Capitlist country whereas Martina was well butch , not that pretty , wore her heart on her sleeve on court and initially from a communist country . Borg decided to quit as he didn’t feel he could appear on a court and lose . Winning meant every thing to him . Both players became good friends after their brief but historic rivalry similar to Martina and Chris . An exceptional film which really explores the motivation of sport and psychology of players . 9/10 from me 

Watched it last night on iPlayer. Loved it.

Fear st part 1, 1994.  7/10

Netflix slasher/horror film about a witches curse and teens trying to outrun it. Part of a trilogy. Not too bad actually, 18 certificate 

JudyJudyJudy
18 minutes ago, Ron Burgundy said:

Watched it last night on iPlayer. Loved it.

👍👍

Yesterday (iPlayer)

6/10

It was alright. Probably better if you're actually a fan of The Beatles, which I'm not. Tempted to knock a point off for Ed Sheeran's appearances, but I'll be kind.

On 04/07/2021 at 23:15, Tazio said:

The Dead Don’t Die on Netflix. 
Very quirky art house sort of zombie film set in small town America. Directed by Jim Jarmusch so you know it isn’t going to be standard kind of fare. Quite interesting if you like an odd film but as a whole doesn’t really come together. Great cast though with Bill Murray and Adam Driver as the main characters. I’d give it a 5/10. 

Quirky isn't the word I'd use, amazing that such a good cast got roped in to this!

Don't know why I watched it to the end, it just got worse 2/10 Tilda Swinton's bizarre performance doubled the score😀

Summer of 92 (Netflix) 

6/10

Danish film about their euros winning team. Decent enough watch even if the football scenes were obviously done on a low budget. 

1 hour ago, Jamhammer said:

Borg v McEnroe on iPlayer. Top film. Shia la Boef very good 

Just watched this too. It was decent but I found some of it it a bit dull tbh. 

6.5/10

Robbo-Jambo
On 05/07/2021 at 09:48, Ray Gin said:

Run (Netflix) 

7/10

Thriller about a wheelchair bound girl who begins to suspect her mother may not have her best interests at heart. Reminiscent of 'Misery'. 

Didn't rate it at all tbh.

Carl Fredrickson

Black Widow

I have said numerous times I only watch Marvel films because my kids love the,. Went to see this tonight at the Odeon and on the big screen it was tremendous. Lots of action and fights with a decent enough storyline. 

A couple of hours of pure escapism with not much thought having to go into following the storyline which is ideal on a Friday night with two kids. 

9/10 - an extra point for the outfits the females wore.........

William H. Bonney

Les Misérables 

No, not the musical, but a french film about an arrest that goes badly wrong in the Paris suburbs. 
I thought it was superb. Very gritty. Very tense. 
I watched it on Netflix 

Message Man (2018).  8/10.  Sky movies.   I had it on hdd since January.    I thought it was going to be shit.    Glad I watched it. 

If you liked John Wick you might enjoy this.    Personally I thought it was ****ing brilliant.    Possibly better than John Wick.    Not a famous actor but didn't do himself harm in his career with this one.    It's abit dull from the start but the dust gets blown away later on. 

Enjoy 👍 

Warning:   it's not for kids under 18.   It's not for the easily disturbed with violent scenes and story line either.  

The Rythm Section (2020) 7/10. 

Decent action scenes.   Fair enough storyline.    OK build up of the main character.   Ending is abit, uh, what?; is that it¿

Not as good as my previous recommendation. 

On 04/07/2021 at 13:18, JamesM48 said:

I think there’ would be a market for it ? Yes the original is superb . Gene Wilder was such a lovely warm empathetic actor . It’s my favourite film from childhood . That and WIzard of Oz . The cameo often plays old classics . I’ve seem “ whatever happened to baby Jane ? On the big screen as well as “ it’s a wonderful life “ there and at Xmas time . It really made my Xmas time that year . I’ve never seen “ toy story “ ! But heard its good / great . Actually me and my adult female pal saw “ Paddington 2” at the pics and was superb , Hugh Grant was hysterical as the villain . 

Not seeing Toy Story is impressive.

On 08/07/2021 at 22:51, Carl Fredrickson said:

Black Widow

I have said numerous times I only watch Marvel films because my kids love the,. Went to see this tonight at the Odeon and on the big screen it was tremendous. Lots of action and fights with a decent enough storyline. 

A couple of hours of pure escapism with not much thought having to go into following the storyline which is ideal on a Friday night with two kids. 

9/10 - an extra point for the outfits the females wore.........

i would give it 7/10. i felt there was a lot of filler in it and it could have been cut down a bit. David Harbour (Alexi) was great in it 

Split (Netflix)

7/10

Horror/thriller with James McAvoy as a man suffering from multiple personality disorder who kidnaps 3 girls. 

On 03/07/2021 at 23:51, Ray Gin said:

The Tomorrow War (Prime) 

6/10

Sci fi action nonsense with Chris Pratt. Pretty daft but fairly entertaining in places. 

Thought the acting was shocking and the film was all over the place.

Ending was terrible also.

4/10

rudi must stay

Black Widow

Very impressed with this one. Exciting film with great villains, Ray Winstone is terrific

10/10

John Findlay

Bullitt, watched it on TCM the other day. Forget just how decent an actor Robert Vaughan was. Very gritty and violent for it's time. 8/10. Has aged well.

William H. Bonney

Rent-a-Pal. 

1990: David, 40, looks after his dementia mom. He uses a video dating service to no avail. He buys a "Rent-A-Pal" video tape and things change.

i watched this on now tv. Will Wheaton was very good in it. 

William H. Bonney

A quiet place part 2. 
6/10. 

john krasinski has gone for action as opposed to scares for the sequel. 
It was ok, but pointless really. They should have just had the first film as a stand alone movie. 

luckyBatistuta
1 hour ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

Guns Akimbo. 7/10

Amazon Prime

Garbage really, but I enjoyed it. Had a good laugh, probably give it 7/10 too

Edited by luckyBatistuta

Carl Fredrickson
39 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Garbage really, but I enjoyed it. Had a good laugh, probably give it 7/10 too

I was going to switch off after about 5 minutes but glad I left it on. A few funny bits.

rudi must stay

The Tomorrow War

This film has everything to be considered a bit of a masterpiece. It really is a well written and intelligent sci-fi film and it has great acting. You know what I'm going to give it 10

10/10

Rogue Hostage ,      Just WTF. ?

John Malkovich  you absolute Cxxt , I got sucked into this mince because of you 

1/10 and that 1 is for the director using a new concept on filming that nobody has ever seen in the last 40 years 

Malkovich you Cxxt 

William H. Bonney

Underwater - 6/10

An unknown, massive earthquake happens in a drilling station in the bottom of the Marianna Trench. A scientific crew must find their way across the ocean floor into another station under the threats of deep pressure, dark water, dangerous deep-sea creatures, and a constant lack of oxygen.

17 hours ago, rudi must stay said:

The Tomorrow War

This film has everything to be considered a bit of a masterpiece. It really is a well written and intelligent sci-fi film and it has great acting. You know what I'm going to give it 10

10/10

Except a logical plot, strong dialogue and believable characters. Were you drunk when you watched it? :lol: 

Pratt is always watchable though, the aliens were pretty awesome and Yvonne Strahovski is incredible :wub: :wub: :wub:

Definitely worth watching if you're a sci fi fan but it only got a 6 from me.

rudi must stay
49 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Except a logical plot, strong dialogue and believable characters. Were you drunk when you watched it? :lol: 

Pratt is always watchable though, the aliens were pretty awesome and Yvonne Strahovski is incredible :wub: :wub: :wub:

Definitely worth watching if you're a sci fi fan but it only got a 6 from me.

It was an excellent film. I had some sway with I Care A Lot to be honest and felt good. So I jumped on the bandwagon with this one 

Watching Highwaymen on Netflix.

Kevin Costner & Woody Harrelson hunting Bonnie & Clyde. Decent 

Edited by Jamhammer

JudyJudyJudy

Im always amazed at the scoring on this for films . You know when people score a film out of 10 ? Surely if a filM is a 10 it’s a masterpiece ? I’m quite stingey with my scoring 😂 so it’s very rare I have given a 10 .  However some 10 scores on this are laughable really but it’s  I guess it’s one own taste . Just an observation from me . 

23 hours ago, Heart of Darkness said:

Master & Commander : Far side of the world.  Last night as #2 is now in the pipeline. 

:wow: Didn't know a sequel is finally in the works. Master & Commander is feckin superb.

William H. Bonney

Come to daddy 6/10

A dark comedy about a man who turns up at his estranged fathers house. Elijah wood stars. 

swallow 6/10

An ever darker psychological film about a woman who likes to swallow inanimate objects. 

both films are on sky. 

Heart of Darkness
1 hour ago, Cade said:

:wow: Didn't know a sequel is finally in the works. Master & Commander is feckin superb.

It was mentioned in a Film4 tweet when saying that the M&C was showing on Friday.  👍

Greedy Jambo

A bit cheesy and it's been done before ( a history of violence) but i like the look of this. 

It's right up my street. 

1 hour ago, Greedy Jambo said:

A bit cheesy and it's been done before ( a history of violence) but i like the look of this. 

It's right up my street. 

"The Long Kiss Goodnight" was an even earlier incarnation of the "normal person with a past life as an assassin" trope.

Edited by Cade

Carl Fredrickson
12 hours ago, Lord BJ said:

Space Jam next generation. 

The highlight was falling a sleep and the worst part was waking up and it was still on. 

The boy seemed to enjoy it so I guess that was the main thing. 

This is what I was coming on to post. My kids loved it, I fell asleep

JudyJudyJudy
42 minutes ago, Tazio said:

I watched Army Of The Dead last night. A decent film with a big CGI budget but like nearly everything these days too long. 

So true . Some of the best action films have been around the 90 minutes mark . That’s all what’s needed really . Those marvel ones are horrendously long . I recently rewatched the great “ Narrow margin “ ( 1990) which is tight , taunt and face paced and it’s 97 minutes long . Brilliant film 

Edited by JamesM48

Silence (Prime) 

A pair of deluded fools go to Japan to try and find their mentor and get some brainwashed locals killed along the way. 

7/10

Edited by Ray Gin