Jump to content

The Official JKB What Was The Last Film You Watched...


Guest GhostHunter

Recommended Posts

hughesie27
2 hours ago, Lord BJ said:

 

MAJOR SPOILER CONTAINED

 

  Hide contents

How do you kill James Bond?

 

How can it continue if he’s dead. I get they have a different 007 but James Bond is James Bond. Just seems stupid to me.

 

Quite enjoyed it the start but felt went down hill

 

Spoiler

They change the actor every decade or so and you are concerned about killing him off right before they introduce a new guy?

 

These films with Craig unlike others were pretty interlinked and told their own story. The new Bond will be another refresh for the series. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • rudi must stay

    1057

  • The Frenchman Returns

    726

  • Ray Gin

    523

  • Carl Fredrickson

    339

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Winter's Bone   Tough drama set in really small town USA (Ozark Mountains).   Really impressed at the performances in this - a few Oscar nominations at the time.   7.5/10

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:
  Hide contents

They change the actor every decade or so and you are concerned about killing him off right before they introduce a new guy?

 

These films with Craig unlike others were pretty interlinked and told their own story. The new Bond will be another refresh for the series. 

 


I wouldn’t say concerned, I just didn’t like it🤷🏻‍♂️

Edited by Lord BJ
Link to post
Share on other sites
best in the land

No time to die. 

Love james bond films. 

Loved Daniel craig as james bond, imo the best since connery. 

Really looked forward to it pretty much since leaving the cinema after spectre. 

Left the cinema after this so disappointed and flat. 3/10

Link to post
Share on other sites
Salad Fingers
On 30/09/2021 at 20:12, rudi must stay said:

The Many Saints Of Newark

 

Very good, twists and turns applenty and Michael Gandolfini is a find

 

8/10

 

Seen it last night. Wasn't too impressed to be honest. Perhaps I just expected too much as I'm a massive Sopranos fan. 

 

Can't put my finger on it. It definitely wasn't the acting as that was good. I wonder if they will do a second one about Tony in his late teens/early 20's as I feel there's something there. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 04/10/2021 at 23:00, best in the land said:

No time to die. 

Love james bond films. 

Loved Daniel craig as james bond, imo the best since connery. 

Really looked forward to it pretty much since leaving the cinema after spectre. 

Left the cinema after this so disappointed and flat. 3/10

Been getting slated everywhere

 

I liked it. Great action scenes. A few quips. Some gadgets. All the main ingredients gave it some really good moments.

 

Plot was a bit jumbled and a few of the casting seemed off. (New 00 agent absolute rubbish and childhood assassin didn't seem to be old enough later on)

 

Much preferred it to Skyfall though which came over like it loved itself, what a drawn out tedious pile of kack that was.

 

But then I also liked quantum of solace which benefited from some snappy action scenes and a shorter running time.

Link to post
Share on other sites
best in the land
1 hour ago, Alan_R said:

Been getting slated everywhere

 

I liked it. Great action scenes. A few quips. Some gadgets. All the main ingredients gave it some really good moments.

 

Plot was a bit jumbled and a few of the casting seemed off. (New 00 agent absolute rubbish and childhood assassin didn't seem to be old enough later on)

 

Much preferred it to Skyfall though which came over like it loved itself, what a drawn out tedious pile of kack that was.

 

But then I also liked quantum of solace which benefited from some snappy action scenes and a shorter running time.

For me Daniel craigs bond films from best to worst. 

1 casino royale

2 skyfall 

3 spectre

4 no time to die

5 quantum of solace. 

 

Would have rated nttd higher but ending was just wrong for me. 

Loved casino royale and skyfall. 

Quantum of solace wasn't too good though. Imo

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Alan_R said:

Been getting slated everywhere

 

 

Has it? 7.6/10 on IMDB

Link to post
Share on other sites

The Guilty (netflix)

7/10

Quite gripping for what is essentially a one-man show (Jake Gyllenhaal). Reminiscent of Locke/The Call.

Link to post
Share on other sites
JamesM48

78/52 Hitchcocks shower scene 

 

This from is an in-depth look at the famous shower scene in “ Psycho” . It’s absorbing stuff with today’s modern day film making discussing how revolutionary it was for its time and how it was even allowed to get released . Peter Bogdanovich was. Massive Hitch fan and he makes some great observations in the film . A great documentary if your a Film fan and Hitch fan . The “blood “ Used in the scene was actually chocolate sauce . ! Not many people know that . This film was on BBC 4 so will probably be repeated or is on iPlayer . 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

The Guilty (netflix)

7/10

Quite gripping for what is essentially a one-man show (Jake Gyllenhaal). Reminiscent of Locke/The Call.

I'd agree with that. He's a class actor. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Papillon (2017) - Netflix Stars Charlie Hunnam and Remi Malek. Remake of 1973 film of the same name which starred Steve Mcqueen about the true story of Henri Charrière who was framed for murder and imprisoned on Devil's Island. 

 

7 out of 10. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The Many Saints of Newark 

7/10


I was enjoying it, but it ends quite abruptly and felt a bit incomplete. Impressed by Michael Gandolfini and the actor who played Junior, who had the voice and mannerisms of Dominic Chianese down to a tee.

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Kalamazoo Jambo
On 09/10/2021 at 18:17, Ray Gin said:

The Many Saints of Newark 

7/10


I was enjoying it, but it ends quite abruptly and felt a bit incomplete.


So, a proper Sopranos movie then.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Vlad Magic

Haven’t seen it but has anyone watched “Human Centipede”?

 

FB post about scary films and this was flagged up as truly horrific?

 

Im not a massive fan of really horrible horror films but do enjoy a scary one now and again.

 

Is this best avoided?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Vlad Magic said:

Haven’t seen it but has anyone watched “Human Centipede”?

 

FB post about scary films and this was flagged up as truly horrific?

 

Im not a massive fan of really horrible horror films but do enjoy a scary one now and again.

 

Is this best avoided?

i would say more grotesque than scary horror.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Vlad Magic
4 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

i would say more grotesque than scary horror.


Not for me then. Be just googled some reviews since my last post as well. Sounds terrible.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Vlad Magic said:


Not for me then. Be just googled some reviews since my last post as well. Sounds terrible.

it is one of those shock idea ones that was really poor

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Vlad Magic said:

Haven’t seen it but has anyone watched “Human Centipede”?

 

FB post about scary films and this was flagged up as truly horrific?

 

Im not a massive fan of really horrible horror films but do enjoy a scary one now and again.

 

Is this best avoided?

It’s awful . Just awful . Only watched it under duress lol 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Tommy Brown
On 09/10/2021 at 20:32, Cruyff said:

Papillon (2017) - Netflix Stars Charlie Hunnam and Remi Malek. Remake of 1973 film of the same name which starred Steve Mcqueen about the true story of Henri Charrière who was framed for murder and imprisoned on Devil's Island. 

 

7 out of 10. 

Out of interest, have you seen the original?

 

If not, you should.

Much better film.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
luckyBatistuta
12 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

Out of interest, have you seen the original?

 

If not, you should.

Much better film.

 

100% this

Link to post
Share on other sites
luckyBatistuta
3 hours ago, Vlad Magic said:

Haven’t seen it but has anyone watched “Human Centipede”?

 

FB post about scary films and this was flagged up as truly horrific?

 

Im not a massive fan of really horrible horror films but do enjoy a scary one now and again.

 

Is this best avoided?

Watched that a few years back, still no idea why anyone would think that was a good idea, then somebody also thought it was a good idea to fund it🤪

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

Out of interest, have you seen the original?

 

If not, you should.

Much better film.

 

No mate, I haven't. Probably will at some point though. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
luckyBatistuta

Schumacher 

 

Up their with Senna and Seve. Great to relive the fantastic memories of their lives and careers, but always need to have the tissues nearby. An incredible racing driver.

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

Out of interest, have you seen the original?

 

If not, you should.

Much better film.

 

I’ve not seen the remake but it strikes me as completely unnecessary. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve just watched Otway The Movie - Rock And Roll’s Greatest Failure. 
Documentary about John Otway, the man who’ll always be remembered for Really Free the bizarrely successful single in the middle of the punk era. A nice affectionate and funny tribute to a true British eccentric. I worked with him a couple of times in the eighties and it always ended up in a drinking session for some reason, a genuinely nice bloke who’s never given up doing his own thing. No matter how mad it seems to other people. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Tazio said:

I’ve just watched Otway The Movie - Rock And Roll’s Greatest Failure. 
Documentary about John Otway, the man who’ll always be remembered for Really Free the bizarrely successful single in the middle of the punk era. A nice affectionate and funny tribute to a true British eccentric. I worked with him a couple of times in the eighties and it always ended up in a drinking session for some reason, a genuinely nice bloke who’s never given up doing his own thing. No matter how mad it seems to other people. 

On Netflix. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Tazio said:

On Netflix. 

Sounds good , il check that out 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Carl Fredrickson

Venom - Let There Be Carnage

 

I am not sure of how all the Marvel characters and stories fit together but this didnt deter from my enjoyment of the film. I thought Venom was a baddie but in this film he is on the good side. Woody Harrelson being in it was a surprise to me and he doesnt disappoint. 

Lots of action and quite a few laughs. Enjoyed it much more than Bond the other week. 7.5/10

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

Venom - Let There Be Carnage

 

I am not sure of how all the Marvel characters and stories fit together but this didnt deter from my enjoyment of the film. I thought Venom was a baddie but in this film he is on the good side. Woody Harrelson being in it was a surprise to me and he doesnt disappoint. 

Lots of action and quite a few laughs. Enjoyed it much more than Bond the other week. 7.5/10

Woody Harrelson is always good value . Terrific actor 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Actually had a pleasant viewing . Was flicking through the channels and came across “ Lady boss , the Jackie Collins story “ . It was on BBC 2 . It was a documentary about Jackie Collins , who wrote trashy sex books which sold millions . It was really excellent and interesting about her life and quite moving too . Her sister Joan is in it a lot talking about their relationship and friendly sibling rivalry . She seemed a lovely genuine woman too .

Edited by JamesM48
Link to post
Share on other sites

Went to see the new Bond tonight. Apparently stumbled into the wrong screen, as there was some kind of family drama on, with some old lad driving a Land Cruiser around Norway with his wife and bairn.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Maple Leaf

I watched "Diana; the Musical" a Netflix special.

 

It was excellent, a definite 10/10.  

 

Great singing, music, choreography, costumes.

 

Only one slight criticism, and that was in the casting of Camilla.  The actor was attractive.  :wink:

Link to post
Share on other sites
Carl Fredrickson

Ron's Gone Wrong

Newly released kids animation. Not too many laughs for me but a really good message. My 11 year old son loved it -one of his best pals left his school this week and this film really touched him.  My 5 year old daughter loved the bots in it. 6/10

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 16/10/2021 at 14:28, Maple Leaf said:

I watched "Diana; the Musical" a Netflix special.

 

It was excellent, a definite 10/10.  

 

Great singing, music, choreography, costumes.

 

Only one slight criticism, and that was in the casting of Camilla.  The actor was attractive.  :wink:

 

9152D92A-5AD0-407E-A568-A3D61B50E0C6.gif

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 16/10/2021 at 14:28, Maple Leaf said:

I watched "Diana; the Musical" a Netflix special.

 

It was excellent, a definite 10/10.  

 

Great singing, music, choreography, costumes.

 

Only one slight criticism, and that was in the casting of Camilla.  The actor was attractive.  :wink:

Double posting 

Edited by JamesM48
Link to post
Share on other sites

“ The many saints of Newark “ 

 

There have been a few reviews of this here . Being a massive Sops fan I was really looking forward to this . As others have noted it’s slightly above average I would say . Probably I’m mildly disappointed . However I knew there was no way they Could achieve the heights of the tv show , particularly the outstanding cast like James Galdolfino , Lorraine Bracco , Nancy Marchand et al . However it has some style and the acting is fine . I expected more of a storyline regarding Jonny and Livia Soprano ? There relationship was often mentioned in the tv series and the Film was an ideal opportunity To illustrate it and the viewer could then understand Tony and Livia more . 
 

There was clearly a homage to Dr Melfi when Dick when to visit his uncle in jail and he was almost getting therapy from him . I also liked the scene when Livia was at the school and found out Tony had spoken about a “ one of the best nights of his life “ ( when she read him a bedtime story. ) it was a very touching scene . 
 

It’s a shame that the plot seemed to be waylaid by the black gangsters sun plot . I really couldn’t understand that really . 
 

Anyway I’d give it 7/10 for its acting and whacking scenes ! 😂 I also thought the actors who played Paulie and Silvio were hysterical . Vera Farmerg I felt looked really like Edi Falco ( Carmela ) I wonder if this was deliberate ? Tony marrying a woman who looks like his mom. ! 👀 

Edited by JamesM48
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 30/09/2021 at 21:19, RobNox said:

That's mine as well, really enjoyed it.  It also captured the humour that underlines the TV series.

 

Young Silvio has all the mannerisms that Steve Van Zandt brought to the role, but with a receding hairline that is eventually replaced by that ridiculous hairpiece, which even comes off during one of the scenes.  Also, the young Paulie Walnuts obsessed with personal hygiene.

 

I also loved the fact that the deceased Christopher Moltisanti acts as narrator from beyond the grave.  It was his father who was the central character in the movie, Dickie Moltisanti, and of course moltisanti translates from Italian to many saints, hence the movie's title.

 

I'd love to see a follow up to this movie, tracing the young Tony Soprano's rise to becoming a serious player in the family.

 

On 05/10/2021 at 17:44, Salad Fingers said:

 

Seen it last night. Wasn't too impressed to be honest. Perhaps I just expected too much as I'm a massive Sopranos fan. 

 

Can't put my finger on it. It definitely wasn't the acting as that was good. I wonder if they will do a second one about Tony in his late teens/early 20's as I feel there's something there. 

Yes I think there will be a follow up. It seemed to be heading that way . I think it may deal more with Jonny Soprano and Livia relationship and Tony’s rise to the top of the criminal underworld 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Salad Fingers
23 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

“ The many saints of Newark “ 

 

There have been a few reviews of this here . Being a massive Sops fan I was really looking forward to this . As others have noted it’s slightly above average I would say . Probably I’m mildly disappointed . However I knew there was no way they Could achieve the heights of the tv show , particularly the outstanding cast like James Galdolfino , Lorraine Bracco , Nancy Marchand et al . However it has some style and the acting is fine . I expected more of a storyline regarding Jonny and Livia Soprano ? There relationship was often mentioned in the tv series and the Film was an ideal opportunity To illustrate it and the viewer could then understand Tony and Livia more . 
 

There was clearly a homage to Dr Melfi when Dick when to visit his uncle in jail and he was almost getting therapy from him . I also liked the scene when Livia was at the school and found out Tony had spoken about a “ one of the best nights of his life “ ( when she read him a bedtime story. ) it was a very touching scene . 
 

It’s a shame that the plot seemed to be waylaid by the black gangsters sun plot . I really couldn’t understand that really
 

Anyway I’d give it 7/10 for its acting and whacking scenes ! 😂 I also thought the actors who played Paulie and Silvio were hysterical . Vera Farmerg I felt looked really like Edi Falco ( Carmela ) I wonder if this was deliberate ? Tony marrying a woman who looks like his mom. ! 👀 

 

I really didn't understand it either. There didn't seem to be any link to the series at all. 

 

My thinking, and I'll be careful how I say this, is that they shoe-horned a more prominent black storyline into it which previously wouldn't have been necessary. Perhaps directors are beginning to include a lot more black prominent characters in in films. It's by no means a bad thing, but like any characters, there needs to be a point to the storyline. 

 

I think when it was originally written, it may have been rival Italian or even Irish gangsters. I watched a couple of episodes last night and it included the ones with Meadow's black boyfriend. We all know Tony's reaction to that and the language used. I imagine in the 70's the attitude towards black people from Italians/the Mafia would be worse. 

 

Like I said, only my thoughts. 

 

Screenshot_20211018-120752_Instagram.thumb.jpg.295da27827376930e39615f4bf35d1ab.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Salad Fingers said:

 

I really didn't understand it either. There didn't seem to be any link to the series at all. 

 

My thinking, and I'll be careful how I say this, is that they shoe-horned a more prominent black storyline into it which previously wouldn't have been necessary. Perhaps directors are beginning to include a lot more black prominent characters in in films. It's by no means a bad thing, but like any characters, there needs to be a point to the storyline. 

 

I think when it was originally written, it may have been rival Italian or even Irish gangsters. I watched a couple of episodes last night and it included the ones with Meadow's black boyfriend. We all know Tony's reaction to that and the language used. I imagine in the 70's the attitude towards black people from Italians/the Mafia would be worse. 

 

Like I said, only my thoughts. 

 

Screenshot_20211018-120752_Instagram.thumb.jpg.295da27827376930e39615f4bf35d1ab.jpg

I actually felt that too . I felt it perhaps tokenism ? However if “ Godfather of Harlem “ is an accurate depiction of 1960/70s New York there were a few black gangster families it seems . However I can hardly think of any black character in “ The Sopranos “ apart from Meadows boyfriend . Maybe David Chase is trying to make amends ? I just felt the that plot took a lot of screen time from potential storylines between the main characters such as Livia , Jonny , Junior and even Tony 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve just watched Fast & Furious 9. 
 

I have no words to adequately describe the experience. I’m all for a bit of suspension of disbelief when I’m watching an adventure film but this stretches it to the extreme. We all know the stunts in these films have got a bit, well, cartoony but this is really taking the piss. I won’t give things away in case anyone wants to see it but let’s just say part of the storyline of the final part of the film makes the most extreme Roger Moore Bond films look like factual documentaries. 
Didn’t hate it though 😀

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Tazio said:

I’ve just watched Fast & Furious 9. 
 

I have no words to adequately describe the experience. I’m all for a bit of suspension of disbelief when I’m watching an adventure film but this stretches it to the extreme. We all know the stunts in these films have got a bit, well, cartoony but this is really taking the piss. I won’t give things away in case anyone wants to see it but let’s just say part of the storyline of the final part of the film makes the most extreme Roger Moore Bond films look like factual documentaries. 
Didn’t hate it though 😀

Proud to say I’ve never watched any of these films 😂

Link to post
Share on other sites
John Findlay

Dial M for murder. On the TCM channel yesterday afternoon. I enjoyed it. A good Hitchcock thriller. Ray Milland and Grace Kelly.

Good performances all round, especially Milland as cold and calculating.

8/10.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, John Findlay said:

Dial M for murder. On the TCM channel yesterday afternoon. I enjoyed it. A good Hitchcock thriller. Ray Milland and Grace Kelly.

Good performances all round, especially Milland as cold and calculating.

8/10.

I met one of Hitchcocks leading ladies , the Oscar winning Teresa Wright a few years back when she did a scene by scene discussion about “ shadow of a doubt “ . She was lovely . She was sitting on the stage taking various questions about the film from the audience . She was a good age then and it was moving to see the young Teresa on screen and the older one on the stage . She spoke highly of “Hitch” and Joseph Cotten . A great experience . 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Saw No Time To Die at the flix last night. Big dissy I'm afraid. Definitely the worst of Craig's appearances as Bond. Too long, too fanciful even by Bond standards, and some of the plot just didn't connect up. Action scenes were pretty good but too many loose ends and leaps of the imagination. Now is the time to consign this franchise to history.

Edited by EH11_2NL
Link to post
Share on other sites
Malinga the Swinga

The wife and I want to Dominion for No Tune to Die. Treated ourselves to 1st class seats. First time at cinema for me since Skyfall and we'll worth it.

Thought it was great from start to finish and brought Daniel Craig segment to an end superbly. 

Music good, supporting cast good and right amount of humour mixed with violence.

10/10 from me.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Auldbenches
37 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

The wife and I want to Dominion for No Tune to Die. Treated ourselves to 1st class seats. First time at cinema for me since Skyfall and we'll worth it.

Thought it was great from start to finish and brought Daniel Craig segment to an end superbly. 

Music good, supporting cast good and right amount of humour mixed with violence.

10/10 from me.

They've also released a musical version?  Not a bond fan anyway but that sounds terrible.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...