The Official JKB What Was The Last Film You Watched...

Guest GhostHunter

"Once Upon A Time.....In Hollywood"

A formulaic piece of shite from Quentin Tarantino.

As with all his films since Pulp Fiction; it's at least an hour longer than it needs to be, contains lots of close up shots of women's dirty feet, not very much of anything happens then a big gory fight at the end.

He's a parody of himself as a film maker now.

1 hour ago, Cade said:

As with all his films since Pulp Fiction; it's at least an hour longer than it needs to be, contains lots of close up shots of women's dirty feet, not very much of anything happens then a big gory fight at the end.

The main rule he has is that every film needs a long speech by a character so Quentin can show what a clever writer he is. He's spent a career copying lots of bits from other people's films and calling it 'homage'. 

Unknown user
1 hour ago, Tazio said:

The main rule he has is that every film needs a long speech by a character so Quentin can show what a clever writer he is. He's spent a career copying lots of bits from other people's films and calling it 'homage'. 

And don't forget smug, wordy conversations that would never happen in real life.

He was a breath of fresh air at first, True Romance is one of my favourite films and that was his first script, loved Pulp Fiction, but he's like Irvine Welsh, one trick pony and fairly boring after a while for me.

JudyJudyJudy
2 hours ago, Cade said:

Completely agree . It was very disappointing . He’s so overrated 

27 minutes ago, Smithee said:

And don't forget smug, wordy conversations that would never happen in real life.

He was a breath of fresh air at first, True Romance is one of my favourite films and that was his first script, loved Pulp Fiction, but he's like Irvine Welsh, one trick pony and fairly boring after a while for me.

I really liked “ Jackie Brown “ especially the classy Pam Grier in the lead and the music was terrific too . 

JudyJudyJudy
2 hours ago, Cade said:

27 minutes ago, Smithee said:

I really liked “ Jackie Brown “ especially the classy Pam Grier in the lead and the music was terrific too . 

Unknown user
8 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Aye that was good, he does have his moments, but his reputation far exceeds his output IMO

JudyJudyJudy
22 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Aye that was good, he does have his moments, but his reputation far exceeds his output IMO

Yes as someone else said a one trick pony with so called “ Homages “ to other great directors whilst not really having his own unique style 

3 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

Yes as someone else said a one trick pony with so called “ Homages “ to other great directors whilst not really having his own unique style 

:jj_facepalm:

Pulp fiction, Reservoir dogs, True Romance, Kill Bill, Django and inglorious Basterds. All shite. Hollywood is very good, anaw. Dusk til dawn is my favourite.

:Aye: 

JudyJudyJudy
1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

Pulp fiction, Reservoir dogs, True Romance, Kill Bill, Django and inglorious Basterds. All shite. Hollywood is very good, anaw. Dusk til dawn is my favourite.

Never said they were shite . The discussion was whether he is original . The verdict seems to be he isn’t 

JudyJudyJudy
1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

Never said they were shite . The discussion was whether he is original . The verdict seems to be he isn’t 

Ron Burgundy
On 29/06/2021 at 01:01, Dagger Is Back said:

🤣 Yeah me too but I think it maybe should have been left as a one off.

Watched it last night. Thought it was quite good. 

Took my daughter to see Cruella tonight, I thought it was good, she enjoyed it. 7.5/10 

£20 quid for two regular drinks and a bag of popcorn though. 

:bolt:

Robbing *******s. 

5 hours ago, Cruyff said:

Took my daughter to see Cruella tonight, I thought it was good, she enjoyed it. 7.5/10 

Robbing *******s. 

Aye but you'll pay £20 for 2 pints and a bag of nuts. :D Stop moaning, grumpy.

6 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Aye but you'll pay £20 for 2 pints and a bag of nuts. :D Stop moaning, grumpy.

:laugh: true bud. 

Carl Fredrickson
13 hours ago, Cruyff said:

Robbing *******s. 

Even with my 10% Odeon discount I NEVER by liquids. Get the kids a medium popcorn to share as it is massive and ask for two cartons. About £4 which is expensive but a treat for the kids. 

Cruella was a great film, far better than I expected. 

9 hours ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

Even with my 10% Odeon discount I NEVER by liquids. Get the kids a medium popcorn to share as it is massive and ask for two cartons. About £4 which is expensive but a treat for the kids. 

Cruella was a great film, far better than I expected. 

I don't go to the cinema often so I was going for the full experience but yeah, i should of just went to the shops. Hey ho. 

Carl Fredrickson
32 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

I don't go to the cinema often so I was going for the full experience but yeah, i should of just went to the shops. Hey ho. 

Shop for sweets and drinks but happy to pay for the popcorn as I won a years free pass. Prices are way to high. They would surely make more by reducing them and folk buying from the, rather than bringing in their own.

bill and ted face the music (or whatever it was called) 3/10

a sequel that was not needed and done really badly

3 hours ago, milky_26 said:

bill and ted face the music (or whatever it was called) 3/10

a sequel that was not needed and done really badly

That was a bitter disappointment.

15 years in development hell and this was what got shat out at the end of it. 

:vrface:

Summer of Soul

A documentary on another music festival that took place in 1969, not in Woodstock but in Harlem, New York. No, I hadn't heard of it too despite acts like David Ruffin, BB King, Stevie Wonder, Gladys Knight & The Pips, Sly & The Family Stone and more appearing. 

10/10 for the music alone which is just an absolute treat, but the documentary also explores the setting, the cultural relevance and why we've (probably) never heard of this festival. 

19 minutes ago, Gizmo said:

Summer of Soul

A documentary on another music festival that took place in 1969, not in Woodstock but in Harlem, New York. No, I hadn't heard of it too despite acts like David Ruffin, BB King, Stevie Wonder, Gladys Knight & The Pips, Sly & The Family Stone and more appearing. 

10/10 for the music alone which is just an absolute treat, but the documentary also explores the setting, the cultural relevance and why we've (probably) never heard of this festival. 

What platform is this on?

6 minutes ago, Tazio said:

What platform is this on?

Hulu in the US, hits UK officially on the 16th in cinemas and presumably one of the streaming services. 

Carl Fredrickson

Goonies

Watched this tonight rather than the football - my son has seen it before my daughter hasnt. We all loved it. My son noticed one of the actors in it plays Thanos in the Avengers films that he loves.

A truly classic 80s film 10/10

Orlando (1993)

Film adaptation of Virginia Woolf's novel.

Tilda Swinton shines as the titular character, a gender-bending aristocrat cursed by Elizabeth I (played by Quentin Crisp) to be immortal.

The next 400 years see Orlando experiencing and examining the human condition, life, love, poetry, sex, betrayal, gender and sexual politics.

Fair shifts along at a decent pace.

Bold piece of film making for 1993.

More fun than watching England.

The Tomorrow War (Prime) 

6/10

Sci fi action nonsense with Chris Pratt. Pretty daft but fairly entertaining in places. 

17 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

The Tomorrow War (Prime) 

6/10

Sci fi action nonsense with Chris Pratt. Pretty daft but fairly entertaining in places. 

Just finished watching this, I really enjoyed it, and the relationship between Chris Pratt and his daughter was surprisingly emotional (to me!) Would give it 7.5/10 

Carl Fredrickson

The 'Burbs.

Not seen this for many a year and introduced my son to it last night. Still very funny with lots of cheesy parts and loads of overacting. Both of us loved it. 

10 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

The Tomorrow War (Prime) 

6/10

watched this last night, reasonable premise, park your brain at the door type of action film. i would give it 7/10

JudyJudyJudy

•  

“ Mcenroe v Borg “ the film was on BBC2 on Friday night . It was excellent . It might be on catch up ? It was so good . The tennis scenes were terrific , so realistic . The acting was superb too . It was great to see the contrast of the two players  . Borg , cold , calm and methodical ,Mc completely the opposite . Reminds me of the contrast between Evert and Navratilova. Evert , the “ all American sweetheart “ , Pretty , Unemotional and ice and from a Capitlist country whereas Martina was well butch , not that pretty , wore her heart on her sleeve on court and initially from a communist country . Borg decided to quit as he didn’t feel he could appear on a court and lose . Winning meant every thing to him . Both players became good friends after their brief but historic rivalry similar to Martina and Chris . An exceptional film which really explores the motivation of sport and psychology of players . 9/10 from me 

JudyJudyJudy
3 hours ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

The 'Burbs.

Not seen this for many a year and introduced my son to it last night. Still very funny with lots of cheesy parts and loads of overacting. Both of us loved it. 

Loved reading this . Isn’t it nice introducing loved ones to films you like ? Reminded me of a happy memory when I took my neice who was 10 to see “ the wizard of Oz “ on the big screen at the film house many moons ago . She loved it 🥰 

Carl Fredrickson
11 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Loved reading this . Isn’t it nice introducing loved ones to films you like ? Reminded me of a happy memory when I took my neice who was 10 to see “ the wizard of Oz “ on the big screen at the film house many moons ago . She loved it 🥰 

I agree 100% and I write this as my son has just put Raiders of the Lost Ark On :)

Classic films should cross generations and my kids love Mary Poppins, TWOZ, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang etc

Trying to broaden my sons horizons away from kids/family films and he especially loved Jaws. 

I like when Odeon shows an oldie that either my kids (and sometimes I) havent seen on the big screen. 

JudyJudyJudy
10 minutes ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

I agree 100% and I write this as my son has just put Raiders of the Lost Ark On :)

Classic films should cross generations and my kids love Mary Poppins, TWOZ, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang etc

Trying to broaden my sons horizons away from kids/family films and he especially loved Jaws. 

I like when Odeon shows an oldie that either my kids (and sometimes I) havent seen on the big screen. 

👍👍👍 actually when you have kids you can take them to see kids films which can be really funny . I took my wee nephew a couple years ago to see a film , it was an animation One and I can’t recall the name of it but it was so funny . I enjoyed it more than him 😂. I’ll introduce him one day to my favourite kids film “ Willy wonka and the chocolate factory “ I loved that and still do . It needs to be back in the big screen again as it’s the best place to experience those great films 🎥 

Edited by JamesM48

Carl Fredrickson
2 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

👍👍👍 actually when you have kids you can take them to see kids films which can be really funny . I took my wee nephew a couple years ago to see a film , it was an animation One and I can’t recall the name of it but it was so funny . I enjoyed it more than him 😂. I’ll introduce him one day to my favourite kids film “ Willy wonka and the chocolate factory “ I loved that and still do . It needs to be back in the big screen again as it’s the best place to experience those great films 🎥 

Pre-kids I used to take mates bairns to the cinema as so many kids films are clever/funny/awesome (check out Disneys Coco as it covers all 3). Having said that, I went to see the original Toy Story in my 20s with some friends. 

The original Willy Wonka film is amazing. A miserable winter Sunday afternoon will often see it on my house. 

I dont know if there is a market for it but I would love if Odeon did a weekly classic film - same day/time for one day a week. I notice they had Trainspotting on this weekend but I cant go due to having the kids at the weekend. I think My Beautiful Laundrette is on Monday and/or Tuesday. 

If they did this more often I would go and watch them. 

JudyJudyJudy
8 minutes ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

Pre-kids I used to take mates bairns to the cinema as so many kids films are clever/funny/awesome (check out Disneys Coco as it covers all 3). Having said that, I went to see the original Toy Story in my 20s with some friends. 

The original Willy Wonka film is amazing. A miserable winter Sunday afternoon will often see it on my house. 

I dont know if there is a market for it but I would love if Odeon did a weekly classic film - same day/time for one day a week. I notice they had Trainspotting on this weekend but I cant go due to having the kids at the weekend. I think My Beautiful Laundrette is on Monday and/or Tuesday. 

If they did this more often I would go and watch them. 

I think there’ would be a market for it ? Yes the original is superb . Gene Wilder was such a lovely warm empathetic actor . It’s my favourite film from childhood . That and WIzard of Oz . The cameo often plays old classics . I’ve seem “ whatever happened to baby Jane ? On the big screen as well as “ it’s a wonderful life “ there and at Xmas time . It really made my Xmas time that year . I’ve never seen “ toy story “ ! But heard its good / great . Actually me and my adult female pal saw “ Paddington 2” at the pics and was superb , Hugh Grant was hysterical as the villain . 

Carl Fredrickson
29 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

I think there’ would be a market for it ? Yes the original is superb . Gene Wilder was such a lovely warm empathetic actor . It’s my favourite film from childhood . That and WIzard of Oz . The cameo often plays old classics . I’ve seem “ whatever happened to baby Jane ? On the big screen as well as “ it’s a wonderful life “ there and at Xmas time . It really made my Xmas time that year . I’ve never seen “ toy story “ ! But heard its good / great . Actually me and my adult female pal saw “ Paddington 2” at the pics and was superb , Hugh Grant was hysterical as the villain . 

Apologise if I wasnt clear - I meant a market for showing regular classic films on a weekly basis. I think if done right and with the right films it could work.

I agree totally Re Paddington 2, Hugh Grant stole the show. Made me appreciate him as an actor all the more for it 

JudyJudyJudy
6 minutes ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

Apologise if I wasnt clear - I meant a market for showing regular classic films on a weekly basis. I think if done right and with the right films it could work.

I agree totally Re Paddington 2, Hugh Grant stole the show. Made me appreciate him as an actor all the more for it 

Yes I understand that . There could be . The Filmhouse and Cameo often have classic films on ,  same regarding Hugh Grant used to think he just played snooty parts but is now more diverse . He was however great as Jeremy Thorpe in the brilliantly funny “ a very British scandal “ ! I’m trying my brain thinkin of a kid films I took my wee nephew too several years ago ? It was a film with characters like squirrels 🐿 who sang ! It was a real laugh ! No I’m not tripping 😂 I can’t for the life of me recall it . They made a series of films ? Few years back  

Carl Fredrickson
1 hour ago, JamesM48 said:

Yes I understand that . There could be . The Filmhouse and Cameo often have classic films on ,  same regarding Hugh Grant used to think he just played snooty parts but is now more diverse . He was however great as Jeremy Thorpe in the brilliantly funny “ a very British scandal “ ! I’m trying my brain thinkin of a kid films I took my wee nephew too several years ago ? It was a film with characters like squirrels 🐿 who sang ! It was a real laugh ! No I’m not tripping 😂 I can’t for the life of me recall it . They made a series of films ? Few years back  

Could it be Open Season? Squirrels in that but I cant mind them singing. Violent wee things. I have seen more kids films than I would have liked. The good ones are great but there are so many awful ones that studios would throw out as they know their is a weekend morning audience for them at cinemas. 

Hugh Grant was tremendous in AVBS and I thought he was great too in The Gentleman. Taken on a lot of diverse roles as he gets older which shows what a great actor he is.

JudyJudyJudy
12 minutes ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

Could it be Open Season? Squirrels in that but I cant mind them singing. Violent wee things. I have seen more kids films than I would have liked. The good ones are great but there are so many awful ones that studios would throw out as they know their is a weekend morning audience for them at cinemas. 

Hugh Grant was tremendous in AVBS and I thought he was great too in The Gentleman. Taken on a lot of diverse roles as he gets older which shows what a great actor he is.

No it’s not that film . They are small animals who sing 🎶 they sang “ born this way “  in the film ! It’s truly bizarre . 😂😂 it’ll come to Me eventually ! They have high pitched voices ! Yes Really like Hugh Grant now 

2 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

No it’s not that film . They are small animals who sing 🎶 they sang “ born this way “  in the film ! It’s truly bizarre . 😂😂 it’ll come to Me eventually ! They have high pitched voices ! Yes Really like Hugh Grant now 

chipmunk movie?

JudyJudyJudy
5 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

chipmunk movie?

Yes !!! That’s them ! Weird wee things 😂

Carl Fredrickson
40 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

chipmunk movie?

35 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Yes !!! That’s them ! Weird wee things 😂

:) Chipmunks arent squirrels :nojustno:

I have spent half an hour trying to find films with squirrels singing in them :jj_facepalm:

JudyJudyJudy
5 hours ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

:) Chipmunks arent squirrels :nojustno:

I have spent half an hour trying to find films with squirrels singing in them :jj_facepalm:

Lol well they are odd looking things 😂

Carl Fredrickson
21 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Lol well they are odd looking things 😂

:banghead:  Cheers mate. Chupmink movies are ones only to watch with kids. 

The Dead Don’t Die on Netflix. 
Very quirky art house sort of zombie film set in small town America. Directed by Jim Jarmusch so you know it isn’t going to be standard kind of fare. Quite interesting if you like an odd film but as a whole doesn’t really come together. Great cast though with Bill Murray and Adam Driver as the main characters. I’d give it a 5/10. 

JudyJudyJudy
2 hours ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

:banghead:  Cheers mate. Chupmink movies are ones only to watch with kids. 

👍

Run (Netflix) 

7/10

Thriller about a wheelchair bound girl who begins to suspect her mother may not have her best interests at heart. Reminiscent of 'Misery'. 

1 hour ago, Ray Gin said:

Run (Netflix) 

7/10

Thriller about a wheelchair bound girl who begins to suspect her mother may not have her best interests at heart. Reminiscent of 'Misery'. 

That was ****ed up. 

Pans Jambo
On 03/07/2021 at 23:51, Ray Gin said:

The Tomorrow War (Prime) 

6/10

Watched that earlier. Wooden acting by the supporting actors. Decent action. Never ending bullet clips. Popcorn movie 6/10

On 03/07/2021 at 22:25, Carl Fredrickson said:

Goonies

Watched this tonight rather than the football - my son has seen it before my daughter hasnt. We all loved it. My son noticed one of the actors in it plays Thanos in the Avengers films that he loves.

A truly classic 80s film 10/10

Richard Donner RIP.