Guest GhostHunter

The Official JKB What Was The Last Film You Watched...

Carl Fredrickson

David Copperfield. Having read no Charles Dickens books I am ignorant of the story but I took the film at face value with no expectations. Very bright and colourful with some great acting. Quite enjoyed it and probably would watch it again. 7/10

Bad Boys For Life. O dear. Dogs are for life, Bad Boys shouldnt be. 4/10 

rudi must stay

The Fall

Pretty good, young girls a good find and some nice moments visually. Worth watching 

7/10

Tazio

Straight Outta Compton. 

A fair bit of sugarcoating going on in terms of the behaviour of the lovable NWA scamps. Decent entertainment though.

Bozi
On 13/01/2020 at 08:24, JamboMarc said:

1917 - brilliant WWI film directed by Sam Mendes (Skyfall). Fantastic film that has you on the edge of your seat from start to finish. Been shot to seem like it’s one continuous shot which an impressive feat for a war film! 9/10

On 13/01/2020 at 14:09, Phil Dunphy said:

1917. Give this film the Oscar now. An excellent piece of cinema that really hammers home what a monumental waste of human life this war was. Don’t go into it thinking you’re going to see Saving Private Ryan, with running gun battles and violent deaths. 10/10. 

On 13/01/2020 at 17:40, Carl Fredrickson said:

I dont think there will be a better film this year. Totally glued to the screen for the whole movie. Struggling to try and find a fault with it. 

@John Findlay my 9 year old is the same but it is VERY graphic though I reckon once it is on NOW TV my son will be desperate to see it. 

The script and acting are top notch (a few biggish names playing very small roles) but the production and filming are stunning. 

10/10

On 17/01/2020 at 00:54, jack D and coke said:

Superb. 

On 21/01/2020 at 20:41, Jamhammer said:

1917 - Have to agree with everyone above. Hooked from start to finish. Felt like I was there and really does hammer home how war is an epic thing made up of millions of small stories most of them heartbreaking. See it at the cinema if you can

On 21/01/2020 at 21:50, Ray Gin said:

9/10 - a masterpiece. What a film.

On 21/01/2020 at 21:40, Muppetboy said:

1917. Awesome film with outstanding performances from the 2 leads. 

On 24/01/2020 at 08:04, Irufushi said:

Watched 1917 last night, thought it was fantastic. 

On 25/01/2020 at 10:57, luckyBatistuta said:

1917, really enjoyed it, incredible how it just continuously flows from start to finish.

Just seen 1917 and have to agree with the praise, its stunningly shot, well acted, tense and hammers home the futility and hopelessness of war

Ray Gin
On 15/01/2020 at 16:23, AndyNic said:

Uncut Gems. Loved it! Great acting (believe it or not) from Adam Sandler.

I'd give it a solid 8/10.

Just watched this. Good film, shan soundtrack. Sandler was surprisingly good. 

Dino Velvet
8 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

Just watched this. Good film, shan soundtrack. Sandler was surprisingly good. 

The soundtrack was a poor choice. 
Adam Sandler was tremendous though. Oscar worthy I thought. 

JamesM48
On 27/01/2020 at 20:06, rudi must stay said:

Marriage Story

Very good. Liked the use of humour throughout and it had a number of great comments and conversations. Recommend it, Adam Driver is a talented fella too, singing and acting here

8/10

Yes this was a really good film. Very realistic depiction of a marriage breakdown and superb acting from the leads. 8/10 too

JamesM48
On 18/01/2020 at 09:21, Carl Fredrickson said:

There isnt any scene that I think would upset my 9 year old. Might be bad parenting on my part but I think the rating it got was due to the reality of the scenes. Could actually be a good education as it does not glamorise war. 

Agreed. 

JamesM48

"Parasite"  This is a stunning film.  Great story about a poor family who gradually worm their way into a rich families house. Its very funny as well as being very very dark.  It has a lot to say about wealth inequality and poverty as well as modern society. It really is superb.  10/10. Im betting this will win the Best Picture Oscar.   

alwaysthereinspirit

Went to see The Gentlemen last night.

Liked it.

Love Richie movies. Like the flashbacks, the back to front editing and the weird unseen story lines.

American movie goers were a little bit taken aback by the use of the C U next Tuesday word so many times.

Carl Fredrickson

Dr Dolittle. Fell asleep so cant say much. My son enjoyed it though

sadj

Just caught up on episode ix - far better than I expected. Felt most like an original trilogy film i thought. 7/10

Carl Fredrickson

A Beautiful Day In The Neighbourhood. A wonderful feel good film with Tom Hanks excellent as Fred Rogers. Based on a true story, I had to Google to find out who Fred Rogers was. A very enjoyable film that may fly under the radar of many 

Rhythm Section

Started brightly and promised much BUT about half an hour in it started to deteriorate. 5/10

1971fozzy

Watched the BAFTAs last night. 
possibly the unfunniest jokes cracked by everyone in the earths history. WTF was Graham Norton smoking ? Crucified The Irishman in his opening ramblings when Pacino and DeNiro were there positively raging. As for Gillian Anderson’s attempt at humour 😂😂😂

Joaquim Phoenix deservedly winning best actor but fek me what a rambling speech. Think I’m done with these award shows tbh.

only saving grace was Scarlett Johansson who looked edible

rudi must stay

Ladybird

Excellent film. Kept my attention from start to finish and had a very good script. Worth watching on Netflix 

8/10

The Frenchman Returns

Beats 

7/10

West Lothian 1994 and a rave. Loved it.

Carl Fredrickson

Queen & Slim

Decent film with lots of potential but thought it could have easily been 20 minutes shorter. 7/10

1971fozzy

Ordered Joker on amazon a few weeks ago and it got delivered this afternoon by courier for some reason (meant to be out the morn). Nice surprise. So watched it tonight (saw it at the cinema and loved it). Even better second time round. Utterly fascinating but  a dark dark film. Loved it.

** For anyone who has a 4k telly and player your in for a treat if you get the 4k disc.  Looks amazing

Edited by 1971fozzy

chester copperpot
46 minutes ago, 1971fozzy said:

Ordered Joker on amazon a few weeks ago and it got delivered this afternoon by courier for some reason (meant to be out the morn). Nice surprise. So watched it tonight (saw it at the cinema and loved it). Even better second time round. Utterly fascinating but  a dark dark film. Loved it.

** For anyone who has a 4k telly and player your in for a treat if you get the 4k disc.  Looks amazing

I saw it the first time when I was on honeymoon with the wife :lol:

watched it 4 times now and it just gets better and better

luckyBatistuta
31 minutes ago, chester copperpot said:

The Joker on your honeymoon🙀

you still married😬

chester copperpot
2 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

The Joker on your honeymoon🙀

you still married😬

Haha, it was the Mrs who wanted to go see it.

We only went to Aberdeen as had ran out of money saving for the wedding :)

luckyBatistuta
3 minutes ago, chester copperpot said:

Haha, it was the Mrs who wanted to go see it.

We only went to Aberdeen as had ran out of money saving for the wedding :)

😀

so it was cost cutting why I never received my invitation 🤬

luckyBatistuta
On 15/01/2020 at 16:23, AndyNic said:

Uncut Gems. Loved it! Great acting (believe it or not) from Adam Sandler.

I'd give it a solid 8/10.

Just watched this. Thought it was brilliant and a top notch performance from Adam Sandler in a role completely different from any other I’ve seen him in. I know some folk don’t like him or his movies, but don’t be put off. Give it a watch, you’ll not be disappointed.

9/10

Edited by luckyBatistuta

Carl Fredrickson
3 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Just watched this. Thought it was brilliant and a top notch performance from Adam Sandler in a role completely different from any other I’ve seen him in. I know some folk don’t like him or his movies, but don’t be put off. Give it a watch, you’ll not be disappointed.

9/10

I would agree with this. 

Birds of Prey - Funny, violent, Margot Robbie - what isnt to like about this? Not a huge fan of comic book films but I much prefer DCs most recent ones to the Marvel ones 7/10

neilnunb

The Pet Sematary remake.

7/10 

No bad but sure the cat was scarier in the original.

rudi must stay

Birds of Prey

Decent watch. Something different DC wise and it worked better than Suicide Squad, I thought Margot Robbie put in a good shift acting wise as well (full of energy) not the take the money flat performance I expected. Ewan McGregor not bad either as Black Mask

7/10

Dino Velvet

The lighthouse 6/10

i was disappointed. I can totally see why people will like it but it just didn’t engage with me. 

Smithee

Year One

****ing stupid, I basically enjoyed it though.

6.5/10

rudi must stay

Gemini Man

Good looking movie, I felt that was Will Smith's best effort and that was great to watch but it's an odd script and I found the humour unnecessary and it didn't always hit the mark. By the way want a drinking game watch Gemini Man, and have a drink any time Will Smith does

6/10

rudi must stay
On 10/02/2020 at 00:30, chester copperpot said:

I agree and there's things I notice every time that change it dramatically. It's a film that makes you think

vegas-voss

Uncut Gems 6/10

Just a lot of shouting really.Great ending though.

chester copperpot
9 hours ago, rudi must stay said:

I agree and there's things I notice every time that change it dramatically. It's a film that makes you think

Watched it with my lad 2 nights ago and it seems to get darker every time I watch it.

The scene with his 2 work colleagues when they come to visit just gets better and better (tho wont spoil it for those who havent seen it) 

Carl Fredrickson
2 hours ago, chester copperpot said:

Watched it with my lad 2 nights ago and it seems to get darker every time I watch it.

The scene with his 2 work colleagues when they come to visit just gets better and better (tho wont spoil it for those who havent seen it) 

Loved it. Lot of tension in a small area. 

How old is your son CC? My son is desperate to watch it but my gut feeling is "no". Loads of his pals have seen it and I feel a bit sad for him. 

rudi must stay
8 hours ago, chester copperpot said:

Spoiler

Also love De Niro's line "what do you want to be a leader of a movement" "no not at all"

2 mins later he shoots him and is a leader of an uprising

Great part of the film 

chester copperpot
6 hours ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

Loved it. Lot of tension in a small area. 

How old is your son CC? My son is desperate to watch it but my gut feeling is "no". Loads of his pals have seen it and I feel a bit sad for him. 

18 mate. 

Carl Fredrickson
26 minutes ago, chester copperpot said:

18 mate. 

Cheers. My son will need to wait

rudi must stay

What an achievement. It is above a mark, gorgeous. It's what Dunkirk should have been imo

Carl Fredrickson

Sonic The Hedgehog. Kids have been looking forward to this for a while and to be honest, it was a lot better than I feared. Jim Carrey is very good as the baddie. 5/10

Really struggling for what to go to see this week at the Odeon. First time in 18 months that there hasnt been something I want to see. 

chester copperpot
3 hours ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

Cheers. My son will need to wait

He loved the joker lol

Carl Fredrickson
15 minutes ago, chester copperpot said:

He loved the joker lol

My son would too. He has seen bits of it on Youtube at his mums and knows most of the story but theres a couple of scenes that make me want to say "no" to him until he is at least 12. 

rudi must stay

The Goldfinch

This film was a decent suprise as I didn't expect much. Decent thriller with a good soundtrack, good pacing I thought and had some decent performances, the lead kid is pretty good. Not bad

7/10 

Maple Leaf
8 hours ago, rudi must stay said:

What an achievement. It is above a mark, gorgeous. It's what Dunkirk should have been imo

I saw "1917" this evening and thoroughly enjoyed it.  Good acting, plenty of suspense, great cinematography. The story line was a bit improbable a couple of times, but that didn't detract from the film.

"Dunkirk"  was a disappointment to me, and is not in the same league.

Ray Gin
6 hours ago, rudi must stay said:

The Goldfinch

This film was a decent suprise as I didn't expect much. Decent thriller with a good soundtrack, good pacing I thought and had some decent performances, the lead kid is pretty good. Not bad

7/10 

Just read the book last year. I had no idea there was a film out. 

rudi must stay

Jojo Rabbit

Love History and love this film. It is hilarious and very inventive and creative, it is also very nicely shot 

10/10

LeftBack

Just watched joker. Stunning. What a performance. 

Ray Gin

Dragged Across Concrete

7.5/10

"Police partners descend into the criminal underworld after they are suspended for assaulting a suspect on video." 

Dark, long and very violent crime thriller from the director of Bone Tomahawk. Enjoyed this and, despite not usually being in a fan of his, I must say Mel Gibson was excellent in it. 

Tazio
2 hours ago, LeftBack said:

Just watched joker. Stunning. What a performance. 

Just what I came on to post. A truly remarkable piece of film making and Joaquin Phoenix is astonishingly good in it. 

rudi must stay
3 hours ago, Tazio said:

Just what I came on to post. A truly remarkable piece of film making and Joaquin Phoenix is astonishingly good in it. 

Spoiler

Ledger beats him for me, acting wise Ledger was something else. But when he has to pull it out the bag he does

Tazio
3 hours ago, rudi must stay said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Ledger beats him for me, acting wise Ledger was something else. But when he has to pull it out the bag he does

I disagree entirely. It was a good performance by Ledger but a lot more one dimensional. It’s an unpopular statement but people’s opinions are swayed by his death and a lot of the myths that have built up about the part and his approach to it. 

rudi must stay
6 hours ago, Tazio said:

I disagree entirely. It was a good performance by Ledger but a lot more one dimensional. It’s an unpopular statement but people’s opinions are swayed by his death and a lot of the myths that have built up about the part and his approach to it. 

There's no myths, he worked hard for it. He was unbelievable in it, incredible every scene every second. One dimensional because he was evil, perhaps, but actings acting and it's all about not breaking character and he never did that. Just my opinion, it's up there with Ben Kingsley in Sexy Beast.