The Official JKB What Was The Last Film You Watched...

Guest GhostHunter

American Honey

7/10

My rating is very subjective as I am unsure what to make of this film. Stars Sasha Lane, Shia LaBeouf and Riley Keough and I thought Lane's performance was excellent in her first film. Its a road movie about a group of Millennials (think that's the correct term). They are grungy irritating modern day hippies who sponge off people by selling magazines door to door. Weird film.

Yeah it was weird. Didn't really seem to go anywhere. 

Rudolf's Mate

Guardians of the Galaxy vol 2 - 7/10

Enjoyable and worth going to see but nowhere near as good as first. Probably also not helped that the funniest part of the film was shown in the trailer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Shanks said no

A Monster calls

5/10

One to scare the kids but mine are past that stage. Obviously based on a best selling book but I didnt feel the normal film sat well with the flat animation. So a bit of a meh from me.

Tell Me How I Die

6/10

Watchable but unspectacular thriller.

Edited by iantjambo

Shanks said no

?Blood Father

?7/10

?Better than I expected action thriller with Mel Gibson and Erin Moriaty. Gibson plays an ex con leading a quiet life until he is re-united with his daughter. Extreme violence follows with a decent and original storyline.

rudi must stay

The Iron Lady

I thought it was a really well made movie. Easy to follow and with a really good script

8/10

Shanks said no

?Silence

?3/10

?Very disappointed as I had looked forward to this, maybe you need to be religious to like it but I couldn't get my head round why someone was willing to die for a religion they joined 5 minutes ago. Way too long as well at 2 1/2 hours.

vegas-voss

?Silence

?3/10

?Very disappointed as I had looked forward to this, maybe you need to be religious to like it but I couldn't get my head round why someone was willing to die for a religion they joined 5 minutes ago. Way too long as well at 2 1/2 hours.

I managed it until 1.5 hours of it.Garbage nothing happens then torture scene then nothing happens then torture scene and it just seemed to keep going like this.

Fences - unsurprisingly stagey as it's based on a play but a solid drama about family and thwarted ambition. The acting is first rate with Denzel and Viola Davis being exceptional. 7/10

Denial - interesting courtroom drama about the prosecution of a US academic by Holocaust denier David Irving. Not that great but good performances from Rachel Weitz, Tim Spall and Tom Wilkinson. 6/10

hughesie27

Guardians of the Galaxy vol 2 - 7/10

Enjoyable and worth going to see but nowhere near as good as first. Probably also not helped that the funniest part of the film was shown in the trailer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I thought it was a lot better than the first. Much funnier. I hadn't seen the trailer beforehand though.

rudi must stay

Mindhorn

Thought it was ok, plenty of laughs. It didn't feel original though. And I didn't think Barrett was particularly funny as Mindhorn

6/10

Edited by rudi must stay

Shanks said no

Snowden

7.5/10

Enjoyed this much more than I expected, wasn't nearly as geeky as I expected. I wasn't that clued up on the facts of the case so maybe that helped. Well directed by Oliver Stone and good acting from Joseph Gordon-Levitt. Only negative was Tom Wilkinson's very strange Scottish accent.

American Honey

7/10

My rating is very subjective as I am unsure what to make of this film. Stars Sasha Lane, Shia LaBeouf and Riley Keough and I thought Lane's performance was excellent in her first film. Its a road movie about a group of Millennials (think that's the correct term). They are grungy irritating modern day hippies who sponge off people by selling magazines door to door. Weird film.

I got half way through this and sacked it.

Had little/no feelings for any of the characters.

Not many films I do that with.

Done it with 20th Century Woman as well.

I got half way through this and sacked it.

Had little/no feelings for any of the characters.

Agreed, they were all incredibly annoying.

Shanks said no

It's Only The End Of The World (Juste la fin du monde)

6/10

Subtitled. French Canadian film directed by Xavier Dolan. One of the most intense in your face films you will see, actors whole faces taking up the screen for minutes on end. A son returns after 12 years and tensions rise from the off, it rarely leaves the house and garden. You really feel like a fly on the wall. Extra point given as always for Marion Cotillard, well supported by the rather angry Vincent Cassel.

There is a big but though, the ending.

rudi must stay

Summer of 92

A film on Netflix about the Danish national teams European Championship triumph, it's in Danish with subtitles. Didn't expect much but I was surprised at the quality of acting and that it had some really good scenes

7/10

Shanks said no

Manchester by the Sea

8/10

Drama starring Casey Affleck who deserved the Oscar for his performance. Having just watched the equally tense It's Only The End Of The World it was more tough but worthwhile viewing. Again felt let down by the ending.

Alien Covenant 1/10

Absolutely terrible.

Disappointing, was looking forward to this. Guess I'll rewatch Alien instead.

Alien Covenant 1/10

Absolutely terrible.

Awwww, don't tell me that, I'm hoping to see it soon, that bad?

William H. Bonney

Suicide squad. 3/10.

I stopped watching after 45 minutes. It started with promise too. Then became farcical.

Shanks said no

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them

?2/10

?Don't know why I watched this or even bothered to rate it. I can't stand Harry Potter or J. K. Rowling so I was never going to like it. Gave it 2 points because I watched it until the end. Just not my cup of tea.

tokyowalnut

Awwww, don't tell me that, I'm hoping to see it soon, that bad?

It was so disappointing. I was really looking forward to it but there was no tension, no frights, plot holes all over the place and a load of characters that I couldn't connect with.

I just wonder what the cast etc thought when they watched the premier.

Michael Fassbender has one line which is very funny (in a childish way), the only problem being it's not meant to be funny. If you see it, you'll know it as soon as you hear it.

Moonrise Kingdom. A Was Anderson film I didn't realise existed. The usual style but very good.

If you like his stuff you'll love t, if you don't you'll hate it.

Say What Again

Guardians of the Galaxy 2

7/10

It's not dividing opinion on if it's a good movie, just if it's better than the first. I'm in Rudolphs Mates camp. It's good, it's funnier than the first (which was also funny), but it's not a better movie than the first one.

Possibly some of the funnier parts were in the trailer, but I think I laughed more at 'Mary Poppins' :lol:

Edited by Say What Again

Shanks said no

Starfish

7/10

British film starring Joanne Froggatt and Tom Riley, also look out for Michele Dotrice (Frank Spencers wife) playing Jean. Based on a true story about a normal family that have their lives shattered by illness.

The Young Offenders

Enjoyed this. Easy to watch comedy about 2 young lads trying to find some bails of coke washed ashore on the southern Irish coast.

Solid 7/10

Shanks said no

Chosen (2016)

4/10

Story of the plight of Hungarian Jews during WW2. Don't be fooled by Harvey Keitel starring, he basically sits in a bath chair and narrates the tale via flashbacks. Good story but very low budget. A shame because it was worth telling.

rudi must stay

King Arthur

Thought it was excellent, love the way Guy Ritchie edits his films, makes them fun to watch and the query dialogue all worked. Thought Charlie Hunnam was good too, the film itself is stylist as well. Yes it has its faults but it was far better than I thought it was going to be

8/10

Shanks said no

La La Land

6/10

Really didn't get what all the fuss was about? OK its unusual to see a modern day musical of this type but apart from that we thought it was mediocre at best. I watched it twice as I thought I had missed something the first time.

JudyJudyJudy

It was so disappointing. I was really looking forward to it but there was no tension, no frights, plot holes all over the place and a load of characters that I couldn't connect with.

I just wonder what the cast etc thought when they watched the premier.

Michael Fassbender has one line which is very funny (in a childish way), the only problem being it's not meant to be funny. If you see it, you'll know it as soon as you hear it.

Agree with others its terrible.  Complete rip off of previous much better Alien films and the cast were awful. Just no stand out performers. Totally lacking any screen charisma or authority.  

It just makes me appreciate the great authority and acting of someone like Sigourney Weaver. She really kicked ass. Long over due an Oscar in my opinion. 

North Berwick Jambo

Alien Covenant 1/10

Absolutely terrible.

Alien Covenant

After just watching it i have to admit i thought it was pretty decent. I dont want to give away any spoilers but it does link into Prometheus and does include more about where Elizabeth Shaw went and what happens etc.

Worth watching if you liked all the others and Prometheus  ;)

7.5/10

Gladiator.

9.5/10.

Watched it many times but this is definitely up there with my all time favourites.

Hans Zimmer is a genius.

tokyowalnut

Alien Covenant

After just watching it i have to admit i thought it was pretty decent. I dont want to give away any spoilers but it does link into Prometheus and does include more about where Elizabeth Shaw went and what happens etc.

Worth watching if you liked all the others and Prometheus ;)

7.5/10

To be fair, I haven't seen Prometheus, if I had it may have meant more to me :)

Shanks said no

Xx

0.5/10

This is bad in a bad way, not even funny bad, it is the worst film I have endured in a long time. Its a quartet of supposed horror stories directed by women.

It really is terrible.

Rudolf's Mate

T2 (not the one with Arnie) 7/10

Was never going to beat the first one however it's well worth a watch. Many of the actors from the original have gone onto bigger better things though it's safe to say T2 won't be a springboard for Mr Welsh's acting career!

Shanks said no

Things to Come

2/10

Subtitled French film. One of the most pretentious films you will ever see. Middle class White French men and women discuss "when I was a communist for 3 years", "I am an anarchist" while they move from house to house. Centres around a philosophy teacher, her family and ex pupil. Although only 90 minutes long it felt way longer.

Miss Peregrines Home for Peculiar Children.

8/10.

Very good and pretty dark and scary for a kids film, my boy was shitting himself at times :laugh4:

hughesie27

Pirates of the Caribbean

5/10

Thoroughly average. Inoffensive kids affair. Not up to the first couple of films.

Watching Spotlight shortly so hoping that will be as good as the reviews.

Hacksaw Ridge - at the start, I thought this might be Gibson doing more god-bothering and it is a bit 'aww shucks m'am' but the war scenes are incredible and it's well made. 7/10

Silicon Cowboys - interesting doc about the guys behind Compaq computers and how they took on IBM. 7/10

hughesie27

Spotlight was great. Really enjoy seeing stories from the other side of the press and this tells a good story.

8/10

Shanks said no

Hacksaw Ridge

8/10

Rare for the wife and I to both enjoy a film, particularly a war film but the love element kept her interested. She said after about 15 minutes, "this feels like Braveheat", unbeknown to her it was a Mel Gibson film. The battle scenes were the best I have seen in a long time. Highly recommend.

The Accused

9/10

Watched it for the first time in years yesterday. Fantastic movie with an oscar winning performance from Jodie Foster. The rape scene makes for very difficult viewing but was brilliantly acted.

rudi must stay

The Girl on The Train

Hated it. A slow and humourless movie full of overacting and terrible scenes. Did think Emily Blunt was good in it, but she always puts in a good performance

Edited by rudi must stay

Shanks said no

Jackie

3/10

Hugely disappointed as I was really looking forward to this one. Firstly her voice / the sound quality, we couldnt make out what she was saying half the time. Secondly by concentrating on such a short period of her life and the White House redecoration just didn't do it for me. Finally it just wasn't that interesting!

luckyBatistuta

Jackie

3/10

Hugely disappointed as I was really looking forward to this one. Firstly her voice / the sound quality, we couldnt make out what she was saying half the time. Secondly by concentrating on such a short period of her life and the White House redecoration just didn't do it for me. Finally it just wasn't that interesting!

Quite fancied this, but think I'll give it a miss after reading this.