The Official JKB What Was The Last Film You Watched...

Guest GhostHunter

...a bit disco

Edge of Darkness

7/10

Some pretty shady acting but a decent film nonetheless.

Mel Gibson one?

I enjoyed it but the 1985 BBC mini-series was far superior.

Edited by ...a bit disco

rudi must stay

Edge of Darkness

7/10

Some pretty shady acting but a decent film nonetheless.

Intense acting I thought but it was such a convincing spy movie deliberately, that you couldn't hear a word of what was being said. Quite funny thinking about it actually

Shanks said no

Just finished watching Shane, for the first time in years on film four. I had forgotten just how good a western this is.

There is not many in Hollywood who played the bad guy as good as Jack Palance.

Funny you should mention that, it appeared in what I watched last night, Abide with me bit at the graveside

Logan

8/10

Without doubt the highest score I have ever given to a Marvel/DC comics type film as I normally don't appreciate them. Really enjoyable movie and I thought the wee girl was brilliant.

It - really enjoyed this. Not that scary but a really well made coming of age story with some good scares. The child actors were all great and Bill Skarsgard was a suitably freaky Pennywise. 8/10

Detroit

8/10

Went in fulling expecting it to be bleak, but it exceeded expectations. Upsetting and pretty soul destroying. 50 years on and watching the news it doesn't seem like America has progressed much.

I'm going to see this today, thanks for the review.

Shanks said no

Hidden Figures

7/10

Film covering a number of themes so you can pick what you like and ignore the rest. Basically it covers the early years of the US space programme (science), struggling in competition with the Russians (politics), using every available scientific mind including coloured staff (race) and even women (feminism). Although I felt the last 2 were played a bit too strongly and it appeared these 3 women were the sole reason the US reached the moon, it was quite startling to see racism so strongly felt away from the normal redneck environment seen in movies.

Edited by The Frenchman Returns

Samuel Camazzola

In Bruges

7/10

Surprisingly good, although it faded a bit towards the end. Colin Farrell was FAF, I really didn't expect to like him so much.

Midgets! They're filming midgets! :D

Detroit, 8/10.

Having worked in Michigan, albeit for 3 months, I really wanted to see this.

It made me so angry and sad to see how little things have changed in the last 50 years.

rudi must stay

Jawbone

A very slick British boxing film. Totally intense film with wonderful atmospheric cinematography and an atmospheric soundtrack at times too. Ray Winstone and Michael Smiley are great and there's a great turn from Johnny Harris, I thought he was superb in Welcome To The Punch, and his intense acting style was a great choice for this. It's on Netflix by the way

10/10

Edited by rudi must stay

Free Fire. 7/10

A bit of a departure for Ben Wheatley. IRA men meet up with a gun runner in a warehouse in Boston in the seventies to buy rifles and it all goes bad from there. Basically an hour of gunfight. Not the usual glamorous type of film gunfight but nasty no heroes stuff.

In Bruges

7/10

Surprisingly good, although it faded a bit towards the end. Colin Farrell was FAF, I really didn't expect to like him so much.

Would recommend seven psychopaths if you likes in Bruges.

Shanks said no

A Cure for Wellness

5/10

Described as a psychological thriller starring Jason Isaacs. I have no idea what sort of nutter thought this up as it was like Frankenstein on acid. Seriously weird film.

Shanks said no

Suntan

9/10

Best foreign language film in a long time (subtitles). Possibly the first Greek film I have watched. Set on Antiparos and tells the story of a 40 something single who is recruited to be the island doctor. He arrives in the depths of winter and begins looking after the islands 800 residents. The easy quiet life soon changes as summer arrives. As a self confessed grecophile I loved it but the film moves into some very dark places as his life goes wrong.

rudi must stay

Baby Driver

I thought it was a good film. Some really slick scenes that work fantastically well, but I felt it lost it's way and dragged scenes out longer than needed. But certainly worth watching, and I enjoyed John Hamm's performance, a different part for him

7/10

luckyBatistuta

mother! - pretentious, pseudo-religious shite. Everything's heavily signposted and you can see the 'shocks' coming a mile off. Woeful. 1/10

I was going to watch this, thanks for saving me from wasting a couple of hours.

I was going to watch this, thanks for saving me from wasting a couple of hours.

Seriously, don't waste your time. It's two hours I won't get back.

...a bit disco

What Happened To Monday?

Netflix scifi film with Noomi Rapace playing the role of 7 sisters hiding from the authorities in a future where the planet has become overpopulated and couples are only allowed 1 child.

Pretty decent.

7/10 

Shanks said no

Their Finest

2/10

British film set in London during WW 2. Good cast with Bill Nighy, Gemma Arterton, and Sam Claflin. Cheaply shot to reflect propaganda films of the time as that's the theme. Just felt there wasn't really a story being told. Poor.

rudi must stay

Hitman: Agent 47

I really liked this film. Nothing fancy about it, just your average action movie with plenty of fight scenes. Rupert Friend's acting turns quite a dull character into a far more interesting one, and Zachary Quinto is excellent too.

7/10

Edited by rudi must stay

Shanks said no

Fifty shades darker

1/10

Absolute and utter drivel, I only watched it to see if it was worse than the first, God forbid what number 3 will be like. Look elsewhere for thrills guys.

Shanks said no

Red dog : The early years

4/10

Pleasant enough Australian film about a boy in the outback and his dog. That's about all there is to it.

Kingsmen the golden circle.

6/10

Don't take it seriously. It's not a great movie but it is a lot of fun. I really enjoyed it as long as I didn't think about it too much.

The first film is much better.

luckyBatistuta

Death Note

One of those films that you just know is going to be terrible, but you just can't help yourself.

A high school student discovers a supernatural notebook that has deadly powers. He can kill anyone he wishes simply by inscribing their name within its pages.

Don't make the same mistake and waste 1hr 41m of your life

2/10

luckyBatistuta

I Don't Feel At Home In This World Anymore...

After being burglarized, a depressed woman (Melanie Lynskey) and her obnoxious neighbor set out to find the thieves, but they soon find themselves up against a group of dangerous criminals.

A decent film with a couple of laughs thrown in too.

7/10

6 Days...

A film about the storming of the Iranian Embassy in London in 1980 by the SAS

Enjoyed it, but at the end, I couldn't help thinking how different everything would have been in the movie at the end if it had been an operation by American special forces. It would have been full of cheering, fist pumps, high fives etc

7/10

luckyBatistuta

Brimstone...

A frontier woman turns fugitive when she is wrongly accused of a crime she didn't commit and is hunted by a vengeful preacher.

Guy Pearce is superb as one seriously deranged madman preacher in this film also starring Dakota Fanning and Kit Harington (Game of Thrones)

Really enjoyed it

8/10

rudi must stay

Mother!

I'm not a horror fan so I will admit I was bricking it for long spells during this film. But judging it as a film, I think it's very strong: great acting particularly from Javier Bardem, good script, and very creative, some scenes are wonderful for their ambition and Aronofsky totally pulls them off.

8/10

Samuel Camazzola

Mother!

I'm not a horror fan so I will admit I was bricking it for long spells during this film. But judging it as a film, I think it's very strong: great acting particularly from Javier Bardem, good script, and very creative, some scenes are wonderful for their ambition and Aronofsky totally pulls them off.

8/10

The polar opposite of previous reviews then. :D

rudi must stay

Don Jon

I quite enjoyed this film, some good scenes and it handled a difficult subject in a smart way IMO. It's not for everyone though, definatly a young mans film

6/10

Edited by rudi must stay

Jambo 4 Ever

Kingsmen the golden circle.

6/10

Don't take it seriously. It's not a great movie but it is a lot of fun. I really enjoyed it as long as I didn't think about it too much.

The first film is much better.

I'd disagree - I thought this was better the first one.

I'd give it 8/10

Thought Elton john was decent in it too

alwaysthereinspirit

American Made the new Tom Cruise movie. 7/10. I would imagine theres more to the story than shown in the movie. crazy times.

American Made the new Tom Cruise movie. 7/10. I would imagine theres more to the story than shown in the movie. crazy times.

Watch the documentary Cocaine Cowboys Reloaded on Netflix.

luckyBatistuta

I'd disagree - I thought this was better the first one.

I'd give it 8/10

Thought Elton john was decent in it too

Elton John is in it, you've put me right off it now