The HUNS - pride of Britain - its all relative

VeraNT

Well I suppose congratulations are due to the Huns convincingly beating Werder Bremen tonight. The only British team to win from the four playing in the UEFA cup games. I'm sure that will cheer up the grouplet on JKB that proudly show their Chelsea avatars and seem to have a soft spot for the Huns.

But how can we cheer up John F, with this type of situation.

Well you have to look at the relative merits of the Huns victory. Comparing the Huns recent scores against Hearts and Bremen, we could assume we are twice as bad as Bremen. In Silicon Valley, we would prefer to say "half as good". Twice as bad or half as good, are sort of the same thing on JKB.

So Bremen are 2nd in the German league and being half as good as them, we would humbly accept half of their current points total. That would place us at a nose above the relegation zone in the Bundesliga. Hmm, not so good.

Another way to look at it, in a more upbeat mode, would be to consider that Bremen are 4 places and 8 points above Schalke 04 in the Bundesliga. Now Schalke just qualified for the last 8 in the CL. So we could also assume on a sliding logarithmic scale, that we are half as good as Schalke. That would put us in the last 16 in the CL. Which is better than the Huns managed and therfore makes us, in relative terms, better than Rangers and at least as good as Celtic.

Don't need to thank me for cheering you up John.

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I find it hard to congratulate the Huns.

They are the most horrible football club in world history.

I don't think they are home and dry just yet though they've given themselves a great chance.

davemclaren

I don't think they are home and dry just yet though they've given themselves a great chance.

They did pretty good but if it wasn't for that dodgy keeper....:mad:

They did pretty good but if it wasn't for that dodgy keeper....:mad:

That's true.

He was the German Kurskis.

Hope the Gerries hammer them in the home leg.

:biggrin:

I've lived in Glasgow for over 10 years and their fans are way worse than Celtic.

They are the most bigotted, nastiest and uneducated bunch of neds imaginable.

davemclaren
WELL DONE RANGERS,YOUVE DONE US PROUD

I don't think they were thinking about making me feel proud at all....

I don't think they were thinking about making me feel proud at all....

WELL DONE RANGERS AGAIN

The Real Maroonblood
WELL DONE RANGERS,YOUVE DONE US PROUD

Clean your mouth and have a wash.

:)

Charlie-Brown

It's hard to separate Rangers (& Celtic's) teams from their horrible fans and having long despised the hordes who invaded Gorgie since first encountering them in the seventies and eighties and when they didn't think twice to punch, kick or spit on a young 'Charlie Brown' on various ocassions just because he wore a maroon & white scarf has never lead me to think well of them........

lost in leith
Well I suppose congratulations are due to the Huns convincingly beating Werder Bremen tonight. The only British team to win from the four playing in the UEFA cup games. I'm sure that will cheer up the grouplet on JKB that proudly show their Chelsea avatars and seem to have a soft spot for the Huns.

Well you have to look at the relative merits of the Huns victory. Comparing the Huns recent scores against Hearts and Bremen, we could assume we are twice as bad as Bremen. In Silicon Valley, we would prefer to say "half as good". Twice as bad or half as good, are sort of the same thing on JKB.

So Bremen are 2nd in the German league and being half as good as them, we would humbly accept half of their current points total. That would place us at a nose above the relegation zone in the Bundesliga. Hmm, not so good.

Another way to look at it, in a more upbeat mode, would be to consider that Bremen are 4 places and 8 points above Schalke 04 in the Bundesliga. Now Schalke just qualified for the last 8 in the CL. So we could also assume on a sliding logarithmic scale, that we are half as good as Schalke. That would put us in the last 16 in the CL. Which is better than the Huns managed and therfore makes us, in relative terms, better than Rangers and at least as good as Celtic.

Not thrilled about the Huns winning tonight, but I doff my cap to you for that post. It reminds me of my theory that Vale of Leithen were the nest team in the world in 1977-78. The proof?

Vale of Leithen knocked Forfar out of the Scottish Cup

Forfar knocked Queen of the South out of the League Cup

Queen of the South knocked Hibs out of the League Cup :)

Hibs beat Rangers in the league

Rangers beat Scotland in John Greig's testimonial

Scotland beat Holland in the World Cup

Holland beat Italy in the World Cup

Italy beat Argentina in the World Cup

Argentina won the World Cup

QED :P

lost in leith
:biggrin:

I've lived in Glasgow for over 10 years and their fans are way worse than Celtic.

They are the most bigotted, nastiest and uneducated bunch of neds imaginable.

Lived in the weeg for 5 years in the early 80s and I agree.

J.T.F.Robertson

You ommitted the Hearts, Bremen, home and away factors, in your equation. Other than that, I can't find much fault in it. :1132:

Got to agree. well done Rangers. showed a top class team how it's done.

portobellojambo1
They haven't won the second leg yet, have they? :eek:

What channel is it on, the first leg is not long finished on BBC1, didn't realise another channel was doing the second leg on the same night. Fecking modern technology, you cannae whack it. :confused:

Lived in the weeg for 5 years in the early 80s and I agree.

It's true.

Take the most placid, well spoken and respectable Rangers supporter and then put them in Ibrox stadium and they turn into the most disgusting, snarling, hate-filled animals. I have plenty of Rangers supporting mates but when it comes to football, they just change and become different people. The club is nasty from top to bottom.

stevieC@pivot
not yet,no.why?

Cos they`ve not played yet !!

Stop using JKB for your own agenda.

Commander Harris

second most horrible football club in world history. ;)

Chip Douglas

Walter Smith brings a new dimension to industrial football.

Turgid, boring stuff from the home team. They must be a nightmare to play against.

Now I appreciate the term rugby football.

monkfish1979
rangers_nazi_salute_israel_2.jpg

Scotland's not-so-secret shame. A disgrace of a football club.

Vermin.

I've met a few of the slogan shouting variety in my time. On every single occasion I've found myself wishing for some sort of repeating ballistic weapon.

Commander Harris
Walter Smith brings a new dimension to industrial football.

Turgid, boring stuff from the home team. They must be a nightmare to play against.

Now I appreciate the term rugby football.

There's plenty to criticise rangers for but style of football is way down the list for me. It's a results business as they say.

rangers_nazi_salute_israel_2.jpg

Scotland's not-so-secret shame. A disgrace of a football club.

Phew.... at least the thread title is Pride of BRITAIN............

Got that bit right. I know its not gay pride, looks more like *right fat ******** pride.

Got to agree. well done Rangers. showed a top class team how it's done.

I stand to be corrected, but if Rangers were to qualify for the final, wouldn't that mean the SPL would glean an extra UEFA Cup place the following year (2009/10 - as Celtic did when they reached the final?)

I stand to be corrected, but if Rangers were to qualify for the final, wouldn't that mean the SPL would glean an extra UEFA Cup place the following year (2009/10 - as Celtic did when they reached the final?)

Who cares. As long as those tossers get knocked out the world's a better place.

At least they seem to acknowledge that noone likes them (and they don't care). Their hooped counterparts seem to believe their own "Best fans in the world" hype.

So I'd say second most horrible

Who cares. As long as those tossers get knocked out the world's a better place.

Well I actually happen to care.

Rangers do happen to represent the SPL and it is in every clubs interest that they progress, purely for the fact that teams like us could benefit in the long term.

ENDOF

It's true.

Take the most placid, well spoken and respectable Rangers supporter and then put them in Ibrox stadium and they turn into the most disgusting, snarling, hate-filled animals. I have plenty of Rangers supporting mates but when it comes to football, they just change and become different people. The club is nasty from top to bottom.

I would take a guess that you are regular visitor to Celtic Park with an attitude like that either that or you don't know many Tic fans.

How you can say one is worse than the other is beyond me.

Commander Harris
I would take a guess that you are regular visitor to Celtic Park with an attitude like that either that or you don't know many Tic fans.

I would say Celtic fans were worse - doesn't make me a regular visitor to Ibrox and I've had my fair share of encounters with fans of both Rangers and Celtic.

FWIW I know a couple of decent Celtic fans and several decent Rangers fans - it's a dangerous game to tar all supporters of a club with the same brush IMO - even if they do have a high proportion of tubes in their support.

Your guess would be ridiculous then.

I've lived in Glasgow since 1996 and am a season ticket holder at Tynie (section T) and have known and do know plenty of both of the Bigot brothers fans. Most of the Celtic fans i know though are guys who go to the games and like their football. Most Rangers fans I know have never been to a game in their lives but are the most arrogant and bigotted people i've ever met when football is mentioned.

In my experience, Celtic fans love their club whereas Rangers fans just love to hate.

This was meant to be a thread that conclusively proved that we were better than both the Huns and the Soapdodgers, realtively speaking, on the park.

As usual, you bunch of neanderthals, including a few smart guys like topcat and charles, have dragged this down to the level of relative hatred of OF supporters.

So I can sort that out as well. In the 60's when I had to put on a hard-as-nails pose and stand and guard 167 Gorgie Road, with my auld-man, against Huns and Sopadodgers coming in to **** in our stair - kept a tally. For both the OF visits to Gorgie in the 66-67 season (the summer of love), Huns attempted to beat the security and **** in the stair 23 times, the Soapdodgers attemped 47 times. Nobody passed of course. It was like walls of dead Orcs in the Lord of the Rings. Anyway this conclusively proves that

1 - Soapdodgers drank more than Huns

2 - had smaller bladders than Huns

3 - were stupider than Huns, fear factor and mixed up on how to get into Tynie, confused the stair door with main entrance opposite

So in my book Huns were less vile than Soapdodgers. Hope that clears things up.

Of course. Me and my mates always made a point of ****ing in stairs as close to Hunbrox and Darkheid as possible, when the Hearts went West.

This was meant to be a thread that conclusively proved that we were better than both the Huns and the Soapdodgers, realtively speaking, on the park.

As usual, you bunch of neanderthals, including a few smart guys like topcat and charles, have dragged this down to the level of relative hatred of OF supporters.

So I can sort that out as well. In the 60's when I had to put on a hard-as-nails pose and stand and guard 167 Gorgie Road, with my auld-man, against Huns and Sopadodgers coming in to **** in our stair - kept a tally. For both the OF visits to Gorgie in the 66-67 season (the summer of love), Huns attempted to beat the security and **** in the stair 23 times, the Soapdodgers attemped 47 times. Nobody passed of course. It was like walls of dead Orcs in the Lord of the Rings. Anyway this conclusively proves that

1 - Soapdodgers drank more than Huns

2 - had smaller bladders than Huns

3 - were stupider than Huns, fear factor and mixed up on how to get into Tynie, confused the stair door with main entrance opposite

So in my book Huns were less vile than Soapdodgers. Hope that clears things up.

Of course. Me and my mates always made a point of ****ing in stairs as close to Hunbrox and Darkheid as possible, when the Hearts went West.

I'm of the belief that Huns are also soapdodgers.

Just thought i'd point that out.

Doctor FinnBarr
Well I actually happen to care.

Rangers do happen to represent the SPL and it is in every clubs interest that they progress, purely for the fact that teams like us could benefit in the long term.

ENDOF

You must be a schoolie sonny, and not had to put up with the pish and intimidation the rest of us have had to for feckin years! Toss the weegies out!:spongebob3:

Being a supporter of HMFC i honestly don't give a monkeys how they fare in Europe. But if they do the business this weekend i might just raise a glass to them!!!;)

This must be one of the worst posts ever in the history of JKB.

Who gives a flying about the Sons of William and their bottom feeding support. How that lot beat Bremen , I don't know. I heard the first goal was a howler and the second wasn't much better. Hope the Huns do the Huns next time around.

shaun.lawson

A remarkable result for Rangers tonight. Werder Bremen are a very decent side: dark horses to win this competition, I thought - yet Rangers now have every chance of going through. Say what you like about them, their style of play or whatever, but Walter Smith, having inherited a total shambles just over a year ago, has guided them past Red Star Belgrade, to 3rd spot in the CL group stages despite being bottom seeds, to the defeat of Panathinaikos, and now, in all likelihood, Bremen as well. They're also top of the league, ahead of a Celtic squad with much more quality at its disposal, and still in both domestic Cups too. He's done a quite brilliant job there.

However, I must admit to holding very different views of Rangers FC as a whole. When I was growing up, they were utterly dominant, and seemed set to remain so for as long as anyone could see. As a result, I felt pretty sorry for Celtic at times, and certainly wasn't averse to things changing, which they at long last did. But more generally, what really got my goat about Rangers was that their whole club seemed to be founded upon a negative: hating and saying 'no!' to something. In politics, I always have an issue with right-wing parties who seek to make people afraid instead of calmly explaining the facts and dealing with the roots of a particular issue - and if you ask me, that sense of fear and loathing is more present within Rangers than any other football club in Britain.

Don't get me wrong: I totally understand why so many people loathe Celtic. But their long-term future is much brighter than that of their rivals, because the political changes of the last decade or so will enable them to focus on positives: the Irish diaspora, for example, and edge away bit by bit from the past. But where exactly Rangers go, I have absolutely no idea. In around 25 to 30 years' time, there will be more Catholics living in Ulster than Protestants: meaning, logically, a united Ireland coming into being at some point. And what do Rangers do then? How will they be able to justify something which will have ceased to be defensible in a democratic society allowing its people self-determination?

Before the season began, I tipped Rangers to win the title, and had a small wager with a Celtic-supporting friend. Why? Because Rangers had to win it this year. Murray is looking to sell the club - but the trouble is, the very things it continues to represent make it incredibly unattractive to possible buyers in a world where even Ian Paisley ended up sitting down and doing business with Sinn Fein. At the very least, Murray desperately needed to restore some credibility by regaining the league flag and getting the club back into the CL: hence their way over budget expenditure of last summer. It paid off, and all credit to him and his club for what they've achieved since - but the long-term issue remains, and is as intractable as ever. I can have no truck at all with a club which, in my view, is entirely predicated on hate; and to be honest, cannot for the life of me see how any new owner will ever be able to take them in a different direction.

So yes, I do prefer Celtic to them, and don't see them as two halves of the same coin. Rangers, if you ask me, are Scotland's version of Millwall: and how can anyone have any time for that?

christhejambo

I despise Glasgow Rangers FC with every fibre of my being- however they have managed an excellent result tonight. Well done on that, if nothing else.

Archived