The HUNS - pride of Britain - its all relative

VeraNT

Commander Harris

Don't get me wrong: I totally understand why so many people loathe Celtic. But their long-term future is much brighter than that of their rivals, because the political changes of the last decade or so will enable them to focus on positives: the Irish diaspora, for example, and edge away bit by bit from the past. But where exactly Rangers go, I have absolutely no idea. In around 25 to 30 years' time, there will be more Catholics living in Ulster than Protestants: meaning, logically, a united Ireland coming into being at some point. And what do Rangers do then? How will they be able to justify something which will have ceased to be defensible in a democratic society allowing its people self-determination?

an interesting paragraph.

Why do you think the long term future of Northern Ireland will have a significant effect on Rangers FC? I fail to see what would change if a united Ireland came about. The Rangers fans would still retain their "British" sense of identity, and some fans would still retain a Loyalist (with regards to NI) view point. Would this not be comparable with the historic, and current, position of the Celtic support in that they are largely Republican in the context of a Unionist majority(and British rule) in Northern Ireland. This has not been an unsustainable position for Celtic(in fact, some would argue it sustained them!) and I fail to see how the other side of the coin would be less sustainable for Rangers.

It might cause the Rangers support to move their focus away from Irish politics - but the main thing they identify with politically - their Britishness - will always be a sustainable position, only Scottish independence would fully scupper that!

Anyway, I think you overstate the speed at which a united Ireland will come about. I think it will definitely happen one day but think things will move a bit slower - I also think that when it does it will probably have more to do with the EU than anything else.

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A remarkable result for Rangers tonight. Werder Bremen are a very decent side: dark horses to win this competition, I thought - yet Rangers now have every chance of going through. Say what you like about them, their style of play or whatever, but Walter Smith, having inherited a total shambles just over a year ago, has guided them past Red Star Belgrade, to 3rd spot in the CL group stages despite being bottom seeds, to the defeat of Panathinaikos, and now, in all likelihood, Bremen as well. They're also top of the league, ahead of a Celtic squad with much more quality at its disposal, and still in both domestic Cups too. He's done a quite brilliant job there.

However, I must admit to holding very different views of Rangers FC as a whole. When I was growing up, they were utterly dominant, and seemed set to remain so for as long as anyone could see. As a result, I felt pretty sorry for Celtic at times, and certainly wasn't averse to things changing, which they at long last did. But more generally, what really got my goat about Rangers was that their whole club seemed to be founded upon a negative: hating and saying 'no!' to something. In politics, I always have an issue with right-wing parties who seek to make people afraid instead of calmly explaining the facts and dealing with the roots of a particular issue - and if you ask me, that sense of fear and loathing is more present within Rangers than any other football club in Britain.

Don't get me wrong: I totally understand why so many people loathe Celtic. But their long-term future is much brighter than that of their rivals, because the political changes of the last decade or so will enable them to focus on positives: the Irish diaspora, for example, and edge away bit by bit from the past. But where exactly Rangers go, I have absolutely no idea. In around 25 to 30 years' time, there will be more Catholics living in Ulster than Protestants: meaning, logically, a united Ireland coming into being at some point. And what do Rangers do then? How will they be able to justify something which will have ceased to be defensible in a democratic society allowing its people self-determination?

Before the season began, I tipped Rangers to win the title, and had a small wager with a Celtic-supporting friend. Why? Because Rangers had to win it this year. Murray is looking to sell the club - but the trouble is, the very things it continues to represent make it incredibly unattractive to possible buyers in a world where even Ian Paisley ended up sitting down and doing business with Sinn Fein. At the very least, Murray desperately needed to restore some credibility by regaining the league flag and getting the club back into the CL: hence their way over budget expenditure of last summer. It paid off, and all credit to him and his club for what they've achieved since - but the long-term issue remains, and is as intractable as ever. I can have no truck at all with a club which, in my view, is entirely predicated on hate; and to be honest, cannot for the life of me see how any new owner will ever be able to take them in a different direction.

So yes, I do prefer Celtic to them, and don't see them as two halves of the same coin. Rangers, if you ask me, are Scotland's version of Millwall: and how can anyone have any time for that?

I'm guessing you are about the same age as me.

I was at school during 9 in a row, Gazza, Laudrup, McCoist, Hateley, Durie always scoring against us, Gough, Goram, Rousset's cup final blunder and Rangers throwing about money like confetti on guys like Kanchelskis, Porrini, Amoruso, Prodan, Rozenthal, Guivarc'h and Negri. It was horrible seeing so many glory hunters who never even went to games and were not even from Glasgow claiming to be Huns and ripping the **** out of me after every 4-0 pummelling they gave us at Tynie. The arrogance and hatred that oozed from their fans appalled me and that's why i find it hard to give them any respect.

That's what made 98' cup final so special for me. After the 2 cup final defeats, we final beat the dark side of the force with all of their golden boys and their manager saying their farewells with the bitter taste of defeat in their Hun mouths. I was delighted when Wim Jansen and Celtic won the league and we won the cup and the Huns won **** all. I have always likened the Huns to the evil empire in Star Wars and probably always will. They truly are the dark side of the force. :P

Commander Harris

I was at school during 9 in a row, Gazza, Laudrup, McCoist, Hateley, Durie always scoring against us, Gough, Goram, Rousset's cup final blunder and Rangers throwing about money like confetti on guys like Kanchelskis, Porrini, Amoruso, Prodan, Rozenthal, Guivarc'h and Negri. It was horrible seeing so many glory hunters who never even went to games and were not even from Glasgow claiming to be Huns and ripping the **** out of me after every 4-0 pummelling they gave us at Tynie. The arrogance and hatred that oozed from their fans appalled me and that's why i find it hard to give them any respect.

I can totally relate to that too - but I would say there are just as many nominal Celtic fans out there who have exactly the same attitude and have never set foot in Celtic park.

It saddens me that in every town in this country we have a large amount of nominal Celtic and Rangers fans who do not follow their local side(I'm not saying this always has to be the case - plenty non-local jambos!) but identify themselves as Celtic or Rangers fans simply as that is the done thing in those towns. especially when some of these people only "support"(in the loosest sense) a team because of some kind of misguided religious affiliation to one or the other.

I can totally relate to that too - but I would say there are just as many nominal Celtic fans out there who have exactly the same attitude and have never set foot in Celtic park.

It saddens me that in every town in this country we have a large amount of nominal Celtic and Rangers fans who do not follow their local side(I'm not saying this always has to be the case - plenty non-local jambos!) but identify themselves as Celtic or Rangers fans simply as that is the done thing in those towns. especially when some of these people only "support"(in the loosest sense) a team because of some kind of misguided religious affiliation to one or the other.

I know what you mean.

Both of my little brothers decided to be glory hunters and claim to support the Huns. Neither of them had ever been to Glasgow, we have no family ties there but they were just kicking off their 9 in a row / Souness era so they were running about Haddington with McCoist t-shirts.

I had my Robbo / JC / Henry Smith strips and i hated the fact that we never won anything but I supported my local team and stuck with them. Every year my brothers would get "league winners" pennants etc and i got my jam-tarts sweat bands / scarf combo .

Commander Harris
I know what you mean.

Both of my little brothers decided to be glory hunters and claim to support the Huns. Neither of them had ever been to Glasgow, we have no family ties there but they were just kicking off their 9 in a row / Souness era so they were running about Haddington with McCoist t-shirts.

I had my Robbo / JC / Henry Smith strips and i hated the fact that we never won anything but I supported my local team and stuck with them. Every year my brothers would get "league winners" pennants etc and i got my jam-tarts sweat bands / scarf combo .

That's one of the reasons why I have a different view to you on Rangers and Celtic supporters - I think a lot of the nominal rangers fans are simply glory-hunters and have latched onto a successful team. While I don't agree with that I can understand it.

On the other hand, I think that Celtic have recruited their nominal fans by using religion and politics. This I find much more distasteful than glory-hunting.

I should say that of course Rangers have traded off this too - but I don't think they have done this quite to the cynical extremes that Celtic have and although a lot of Rangers fans identify with a particular political viewpoint or a so-called religious belief - it is not the main reason why they have come to support that club.

Apologies to VeraNT for continuing on this theme after his reprimand!

CompleteIdiot
That's one of the reasons why I have a different view to you on Rangers and Celtic supporters - I think a lot of the nominal rangers fans are simply glory-hunters and have latched onto a successful team. While I don't agree with that I can understand it.

On the other hand, I think that Celtic have recruited their nominal fans by using religion and politics. This I find much more distasteful than glory-hunting.

I should say that of course Rangers have traded off this too - but I don't think they have done this quite to the cynical extremes that Celtic have and although a lot of Rangers fans identify with a particular political viewpoint or a so-called religious belief - it is not the main reason why they have come to support that club.

Apologies to VeraNT for continuing on this theme after his reprimand!

So how was a Catholic kid growing up until the 1980s meant to support Rangers when they OFFICIALLY didn't even allow Catholic players?

Is that meant to be inclusive?

Celtic have been a cynically Irish club. They openly market to the Irish 'diaspora'. They do not, however, have the same history of outright sectarianism.

Being Irish or having Irish roots is not the same thing as sectarianism.

I am old enough to remember when Mo Johnson signed for Rangers and what a mess it caused. The idea of Rangers fans protesting because their team had signed a Catholic seems ridiculous now. It happened then. People were burning their season tickets in front of reporters on STV.

If you can't remember this era, you probably don't understand.

I don't know how to explain this. If you were brought up in the Catholic church and you are 7 or 8 and there is a football team that says people like you are excluded, how should that make you feel? Would it have sounded any less or more reasonable if Rangers had refused to sign black players?

They haven't won the second leg yet, have they? :eek:

Could one of the many self-styled Professors of Coefficiency that inhabit JKB tell me whether the coefficient will be improved by Rangers FC's tremendous win last night or is the coefficient only affected by who goes through?

Thanks in advance.

who gives a toss about the co-efficient.

you never hear the OF worrying about that do you; its only us & the rest of the teams in the SPHell.

if we are good enough to challenge the OF then we should be good enough to qualify for yoorp by finishing above them. like we managed in 05/06.

its always nice to get the odd extra points with an away win in europe to help us gain another place, but tbh no one outside the OF has really contributed to that to any great extent except us. (maybe our win Basel helped, but home losses to Schalke, ferencvaros, AEK & Sparta undid all that good work).

in 2 seasons time we'll have an extra uefa cup place i believ, but probably only for one season as the participants wont heklp the co-efficient; cwertainly if you put baeten cup finalists in the uefa like Gretna & dunfermline, pathetic. :1132:

Well I suppose congratulations are due to the Huns convincingly beating Werder Bremen tonight. The only British team to win from the four playing in the UEFA cup games. I'm sure that will cheer up the grouplet on JKB that proudly show their Chelsea avatars and seem to have a soft spot for the Huns.

But how can we cheer up John F, with this type of situation.

Well you have to look at the relative merits of the Huns victory. Comparing the Huns recent scores against Hearts and Bremen, we could assume we are twice as bad as Bremen. In Silicon Valley, we would prefer to say "half as good". Twice as bad or half as good, are sort of the same thing on JKB.

So Bremen are 2nd in the German league and being half as good as them, we would humbly accept half of their current points total. That would place us at a nose above the relegation zone in the Bundesliga. Hmm, not so good.

Another way to look at it, in a more upbeat mode, would be to consider that Bremen are 4 places and 8 points above Schalke 04 in the Bundesliga. Now Schalke just qualified for the last 8 in the CL. So we could also assume on a sliding logarithmic scale, that we are half as good as Schalke. That would put us in the last 16 in the CL. Which is better than the Huns managed and therfore makes us, in relative terms, better than Rangers and at least as good as Celtic.

Don't need to thank me for cheering you up John.

Neanderthals aside, this is some of your best work, Davy. Priceless.

Give me the Huns over the (MOD EDIT) any day. The lesser of two evils by a long way!

Can I ask why Hun is deemed acceptable on here but the Tims affinity with potatoes isn't?

Another example of blatant double standards where old firm bigotry is concerned?

Last night's result disgusted me. I felt close to being physically sick at the thought of those unwashed nazi's having a reasonably good chance of proceeding to the next round.

That said, i hope they rape the lochend ########## on Sunday.

Your guess would be ridiculous then.

I've lived in Glasgow since 1996 and am a season ticket holder at Tynie (section T) and have known and do know plenty of both of the Bigot brothers fans. Most of the Celtic fans i know though are guys who go to the games and like their football. Most Rangers fans I know have never been to a game in their lives but are the most arrogant and bigotted people i've ever met when football is mentioned.

In my experience, Celtic fans love their club whereas Rangers fans just love to hate.

Reading your posts on this thread and other threads you defentitely have something against Rangers fans. I have the misfortune to work in Glasgow and thus work with a lot of Celtic and Rangers fans. As far as i can see there are good and bad ones on each side and i haven't personally found there are more

bad Rangers fans than Celtic fans or vice versa.

Sweeping generalisation's about one set of fans are never good statements to make, you even could call it bigotry. ;)

Could one of the many self-styled Professors of Coefficiency that inhabit JKB tell me whether the coefficient will be improved by Rangers FC's tremendous win last night or is the coefficient only affected by who goes through?

Thanks in advance.

Scotland moved up one place to 10th in the UEFA rankings last night above Turkey. This will have no effect on places awarded to Scotland for 2009/10.

Hearts moved up one place to 107th above Hapaol Tel Aviv. This will only make a difference if both Hearts and Hapaol Tel Aviv play in next season's UEFA Cup and are either side of the seeding line for the UEFA Cup 1st round.

You wheel out co-efficients when Rangers do well and dismiss them when Celtic do well. Either they matter or they don't.

Gavsy Van Gaverson
rangers_nazi_salute_israel_2.jpg

Scotland's not-so-secret shame. A disgrace of a football club.

Aye, but that is ONLY a Red Hand of Ulster salute.

Honest

:rolleyes:

Well I suppose congratulations are due to the Rangers convincingly beating Werder Bremen tonight. The only British team to win from the four playing in the UEFA cup games. I'm sure that will cheer up the grouplet on JKB that proudly show their Chelsea avatars and seem to have a soft spot for the Rangers. :rofl::rofl::rofl::sobored::sobored:

But how can we cheer up John F, with this type of situation.

Well you have to look at the relative merits of Rangers' victory. Comparing the Rangers recent scores against Hearts and Bremen, we could assume we are twice as bad as Bremen. In Silicon Valley, we would prefer to say "half as good". Twice as bad or half as good, are sort of the same thing on JKB.

So Bremen are 2nd in the German league and being half as good as them, we would humbly accept half of their current points total. That would place us at a nose above the relegation zone in the Bundesliga. Hmm, not so good.

Another way to look at it, in a more upbeat mode, would be to consider that Bremen are 4 places and 8 points above Schalke 04 in the Bundesliga. Now Schalke just qualified for the last 8 in the CL. So we could also assume on a sliding logarithmic scale, that we are half as good as Schalke. That would put us in the last 16 in the CL. Which is better than the Rangers managed and therfore makes us, in relative terms, better than Rangers and at least as good as Celtic. (booooooo)

Don't need to thank me for cheering you up John.

Congratulations Rangers you done US proud !:welldone:

Doesn't the term "Hun" derive from the German Army?

and didn't the Irish harbour them during the war? allow them to refuel in the Irish ports, leave their lights on to direct the Luftwaffa so i don't think labelling the Rangers fans as Huns is as clear cut as you think.

A bit contradictory don't you think?

Correct me if i'm wrong please.:dunce:

:biggrin:

I've lived in Glasgow for over 10 years and their fans are way worse than Celtic.

They are the most bigotted, nastiest and uneducated bunch of neds imaginable.

I agree with you. I've been observing that shower for fifty years and my father before me. They are the pits and the worst and most vile are the Loyalist Brigade from Ulster.

Celtic's problem is thay have a large chip on their shoulder - put there by the in your face Orange Order induced hatred and bigotry of the Huns.

Doesn't the term "Hun" derive from the German Army?

and didn't the Irish harbour them during the war? allow them to refuel in the Irish ports, leave their lights on to direct the Luftwaffa so i don't think labelling the Rangers fans as Huns is as clear cut as you think.

A bit contradictory don't you think?

Correct me if i'm wrong please.:dunce:

Who cares where it derives from? Who cares who were labelled as huns first? Who cares if it is clear cut or not?

All that matters is that it winds up those unwashed nazi bigot's. ;)

an interesting paragraph.

Why do you think the long term future of Northern Ireland will have a significant effect on Rangers FC? I fail to see what would change if a united Ireland came about. The Rangers fans would still retain their "British" sense of identity, and some fans would still retain a Loyalist (with regards to NI) view point. Would this not be comparable with the historic, and current, position of the Celtic support in that they are largely Republican in the context of a Unionist majority(and British rule) in Northern Ireland. This has not been an unsustainable position for Celtic(in fact, some would argue it sustained them!) and I fail to see how the other side of the coin would be less sustainable for Rangers.

It might cause the Rangers support to move their focus away from Irish politics - but the main thing they identify with politically - their Britishness - will always be a sustainable position, only Scottish independence would fully scupper that!

Anyway, I think you overstate the speed at which a united Ireland will come about. I think it will definitely happen one day but think things will move a bit slower - I also think that when it does it will probably have more to do with the EU than anything else.

Excellent post, Shaun! I agree with your sentiments entirely.

Hi Shaun,

I agree with you that Murray wants out, and the fan base really hasn't helped him to sell them. I recall when the UK security forces lost track of the location of a bunch of the paramilitaries in Northern Ireland they said that they would pick them up at the next Rangers home game. They were regular attendees. Says it all for me.

But the UEFA actions on chanting has made an impact. Murray can claim to be taking the high ground, not sure if it is enough.

I remember Fergus McCann launching Bhoys against bigotry, and this was because he wanted to sell the club.

The last rights issue at Rangers ended up costing Murray in excess of 50 million.

Yet another tragedy of Vlad - if we'd kept them out of the Champions League for a couple of years, they'd have been in serious trouble imo.

Commander Harris
So how was a Catholic kid growing up until the 1980s meant to support Rangers when they OFFICIALLY didn't even allow Catholic players?

Is that meant to be inclusive?

Celtic have been a cynically Irish club. They openly market to the Irish 'diaspora'. They do not, however, have the same history of outright sectarianism.

Being Irish or having Irish roots is not the same thing as sectarianism.

I am old enough to remember when Mo Johnson signed for Rangers and what a mess it caused. The idea of Rangers fans protesting because their team had signed a Catholic seems ridiculous now. It happened then. People were burning their season tickets in front of reporters on STV.

If you can't remember this era, you probably don't understand.

I don't know how to explain this. If you were brought up in the Catholic church and you are 7 or 8 and there is a football team that says people like you are excluded, how should that make you feel? Would it have sounded any less or more reasonable if Rangers had refused to sign black players?

I am old enough to remember Mo Johnson and the trouble it caused - and I do understand that a Catholic kid in that time would feel excluded by Rangers but I fail to see how that is relevant to what I was saying?

Just because they may not have been prepared to support a bigotted Rangers club (and quite rightly too!)does not mean that their only other option was Celtic. My point was that they could have chosen their local team but instead, due to the way Celtic were promoted, chose Celtic - often on Religious grounds not just any Irish roots.

While Celtic have not been openly sectarian in the same way Rangers have they don't just market themselves to the Irish diaspora(which I never equated with sectarianism!) - there is a long history of them using their Irish roots as a cover for other things. They may not have had an official policy but they have marketted themselves to the "Celtic Minded" and by that they don't just mean the Irish diaspora(something perfectly legitimate and I have not suggested such a policy would be sectarian) but they mean Irish Republican sympathisers and/or Roman Catholics.

Dirk Diggler
Walter Smith brings a new dimension to industrial football.

Turgid, boring stuff from the home team. They must be a nightmare to play against.

Now I appreciate the term rugby football.

:eek:

A post which would not look out of place on totalfootball.net. ;)

Personally, I watched the game last night with no interest in whether they won or lost....I sure as hell want them to win on Sunday though.

FTH.

rangers_nazi_salute_israel_2.jpg

Scotland's not-so-secret shame. A disgrace of a football club.

They must have spotted some of their mates in the stand opposite ;)

Well done Rangers keeping Scotland represented in Europe :welldone:

scottish_chicP
Who cares. As long as those tossers get knocked out the world's a better place.

:fing25: agreed

The Old Tolbooth

I despise Rangers and everything they stand for, but looking at it from a footballing perspective I thought that they actually deserved their 2-0 win and played very well.

They have an outstanding chance to progress now, and even although they play negatively, it's effective!

I didnt hear anyone complain too much when we were doing ok in Europe under CL when we played pretty negative stuff, I'm one of those fans who would swap flair,(err, hibs) for results I'm afraid, as the history books dont remember which team played better and bragging rights only go to the winners.

ULSTER JAMES

don't believe Irish nationalist propaganda on this issue :thumbs_up:

Aye, but that is ONLY a Red Hand of Ulster salute.

Honest

:rolleyes:

they are doin the red hand salute and why would they do a nazi salute especialy with an israeli flag in the front of the crowd ? would that not be a bit contradictive with there "right wing " views

Ryan Gosling
they are doin the red hand salute and why would they do a nazi salute especialy with an israeli flag in the front of the crowd ? would that not be a bit contradictive with there "right wing " views

They're ****ing morons, so of course they would.

And there is no such thing as a 'red hand salute' - it's something they've made up to try and cover up the fact that they're all Nazi fascist ****bags.

And there is no such thing as a 'red hand salute' - it's something they've made up to try and cover up the fact that they're all Nazi fascist ****bags.

"nazi fascists" have ever heard them shouting anything to do with hittler or it because they are loyal to the crown and that is where you get the "nazi" part ? i take it the red hand on the ni flag is a " nazi salute " in your eyes as well ?

Here we go again.

The overflow from the huddleboard are out in number tonight!

Fair's fair, you get to bump your gums about how much you hate ra Sellick every 2nd day. Let those of us who think the Huns are the most vile and evil organisation imaginable have our moment.

Now that's a brilliant post.

Respeck.

Ryan Gosling
"nazi fascists" have ever heard them shouting anything to do with hittler or it because they are loyal to the crown and that is where you get the "nazi" part ? i take it the red hand on the ni flag is a " nazi salute " in your eyes as well ?

The palm of a hand, with no outraised arm, or holding it up, straight armed, to an angle, as the Nazis did.

No need to guess you're one of the mini-huns too.

Guest JamboRobbo

I this ANOTHER rangers and celtic debate on here.

To think I get called boring for going on about Hearts so much.

Can we not just send the mini huns and mini tims out for a fight and leave the Hearts fans to talk about Hearts?

I this ANOTHER rangers and celtic debate on here.

To think I get called boring for going on about Hearts so much.

Can we not just send the mini huns and mini tims out for a fight and leave the Hearts fans to talk about Hearts?

I have yet to see any Hearts fan on here who could ever be described as being a mini-tim. Celtic are a disgusting institution and their away support are a bunch of mutants but Rangers are just worse in every way.

Ryan Gosling
that makes one rangers fan a nazi what about the rest of the 50 odd thousand fans in ibrox or on there travels and i wouldnt know this but did hittler ever go to ibrox ?

Yes.

And here's some more hands for you.

168708.jpg

unseen2os9.gif

The palm of a hand, with no outraised arm, or holding it up, straight armed, to an angle, as the Nazis did.

im no a mini "hun" im just a loyal to the crown hearts supporter

Maybe the a in Uncle a stands for Adolf? :P

Ryan Gosling
I have yet to see any Hearts fan on here who could ever be described as being a mini-tim. Celtic are a disgusting institution and their away support are a bunch of mutants but Rangers are just worse in every way.

Exactly. I find Rangers and Celtic despicable but Rangers fans just go out their way to make things worse. Animals.

Yes.

And here's some more hands for you.

168708.jpg

unseen2os9.gif

where is our lizies salute in that picture god save the queen

Ryan Gosling

Keep telling yourself that.

She can't raise her arm. Those damned Fenians have got her arthritis pills!

scottish_chicP

In all honesty reading your posts in this thread I thought you were a rangers fan.

Ryan Gosling
In all honesty reading your posts in this thread I thought you were a rangers fan.

I still do.

Just because you're a *ahem* "loyal to the crown hearts supporter" doesn't mean you have to defend the Hunbrox National Socialist's.

scottish_chicP
I still do.

Oh sorry I worded that wrong I believe he is one too. People like that I can't stand at the games. I will expect pelters now but just my opinion.

Archived