Its Proper Snow!

Doctor FinnBarr

Snowing again in Longstone.

The_Blizzard_of_1888.jpg

Been almost non-stop, sometimes heavy, sometimes light, since about five o'clock this afternoon in Corstorphine.

Edited by The Gasman

• Replies 853
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• The Old Tolbooth

• blondejamtart

• Beats

• davemclaren

Drunkn_Munky_Nat

I'm a postie. Its gonna be hellish.

So am i mate but work indoors, cant see the mail leaving here tonight as the roads are hellish and the vans can't move so it might be a quiet one for you. :thumbsup:

kingantti1874

badword no chance o getting to work, spent 4 hrs digging the car out yesterday to the main road, woke up to jut shy of a foot more overnight .... Duvet day

CavySlaveJambo

Severe weather warning in place till at least 10am,but can see that being extended.

Slateford road is a nightmare for cars

Haven't seen any buses.

Lothians Site is kinda working but ridiculously slow.

Took half an hour to dig the car out at 5.30am, travelled along Slateford Rd & turned back home.

Cars/vans stuck everywhere.

If I park my van, I'll not get it out again in a lot of places.

I hate living near my work.

Left the house early coz I knew it would be difficult to get out of the car park...

Thing is, the word difficult should be replaced with IMPOSSIBLE :angry:

Its like an ice rink, im usually one of the few who can actually get out of the car park when its been snowing but the snow beat me this morning...

Unfortunately the no2 bus got me to work!

...one thing though, there's an abandoned motorbike beside Makro, what arse would go out on a bike when its like this??? :rolleyes:

Guest GhostHunter

Had to turn back on the M80 at Haggs as lorrys were getting stuck trying to get up the hill in the roadwords.

Nightmare and not a gritter in sight on the motorways.

The Mighty Thor

Had to turn back on the M80 at Haggs as lorrys were getting stuck trying to get up the hill in the roadwords.

Nightmare and not a gritter in sight on the motorways.

A gritter wouldn't make any difference to what's out there Dex.

I can honestly say i haven't seen so much snow fallen in such a short space of time. ohmy.gif

kingantti1874

Hard to blame the councils, we just don't have the infrastructure for this kind of weather - after 20 years of mil winters why would we... , if this is going to be a regular occurrence some heavy investment will be required...

The Mighty Thor

About a foot of snow fell overnight in Penicuik. Leaving shortly for work.Hopefully main roads passable. :mellow:

Same here in Loanhead. I cleared the driveway yesterday and there is a foot of fresh snow on top again. I'm not clearing the drive today rolleyes.gif

Guest GhostHunter

It doesn't help on the motorways when you've got fecking idiots in vans overtaking in the outside lane - had 2 go passed me doing at least 60 when the outside lane was completely covered.

They've definitely got something missing from their brains - they might not be bothered about kililng themselves, but they'll take someone out whilst doing it.

It must be carnage in the roadworks on the M80 just now - thankfully, I got off at the Haggs interchange and managed to get turned around to come back - it would be a nightmare if you got caught past that.

I'm gutted put a holiday in for today and didn't need it.

Absolutely shattered today, went to an MMA show in Aberdeen Saturday and it took us over 13 hrs to get home yesterday :(

Car is supposed to get MOT today but think I'm gonna have to cancel

I'm a postie. Its gonna be hellish.

Me too. boss said to talk day off plus the whole office! There is no mail the day in EH10!

kingantti1874

Van drivers are nuts, out yesterday had one guy driving about 6" from my bumper, bad at the best of times but in those conditions absolutely crazy... I don't know what folk think about... Thick as fcuk

The M8 was shut westbound at Junction 3 this morning (may still be, i dunno). Luckily i go westbound from junction 4 and although traffic was slow moving, the road was actually better than expected and improved the further west i went.

Got to work 20 mins late.

CavySlaveJambo

Me too. boss said to talk day off plus the whole office! There is no mail the day in EH10!

Not suprised. I'd gathered that posties/delivery people would go into hibernation.

Not suprised. I'd gathered that posties/delivery people would go into hibernation.

Have you ever carried a 12kg one sided bag while walking up icy paths or driveways ??.

Its not as easy as it sounds. :turned:

Anyway yesterday was a day of mourning for Sinky.

With that weather its what he would have wanted. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

blondejamtart

Jeez, I wouldn't fancy being a postie in this weather - all credit to any who actually do manage to get out on their rounds.

Nucky Thompson

There are some erses on the road. Coming along the City Bypass this morning and all the cars are going along at a steady 50mph in the inside lane and this fecking artic is steaming along the outside lane at full throttle spraying everybody with grit, ice and snow :down:

Am I the only one getting seriously pissed of with clearing the drive/path only to wake up the next morning to find it totally covered again. Looking like a 3rd day of no school or work. down.gif At least the teachers have to go back to work today. teehee.gif

Am I the only one getting seriously pissed of with clearing the drive/path only to wake up the next morning to find it totally covered again. Looking like a 3rd day of no school or work. down.gif At least the teachers have to go back to work today. teehee.gif

Same here mate, went for it yesterday and got loads of of snow cleared, just looked out window and it's all back :(

Darth Sidious

forth road bridge closed in both directions at the moment. guess its another day working from home

Just came back from the bus stop. Waiting for the Edinburgh bus from Dunfermline, then heard on radio bridge was closed. Long walk home. Think I will ask for the rest of the week off.

forth road bridge closed in both directions at the moment. guess its another day working from home

What im annoyed at is that large organisations like the one I work for could easily allow the likes of myself to work from home.. but oh no, we've got to trek through the snow...

The fact that the buses aint serving Edinburgh Park are making getting to work a nightmare.

I usually like driving in the snow but too much snow spoils the fun, I can't even get my car out of the car park and im in the west end of edinburgh!

The Mighty Thor

Another 4 or 5 inches overnight on top of the 2 foot we already had sad.gif

It's getting past the funny stage.

Just heard on the radio that they now reckon it'll be like this until Christmas. sad.gifsad.gifsad.gif

Any help appreciated. I live in the sticks & I have got a job to do on Strachan Rd,Blackhall. How are the roads in that area? I know main roads are clear but I was wondering how bad the the likes of Strachan Rd are? The van is my mobile workshop and need to get it pretty close to house to unload gear. Cheers

Nucky Thompson

Just heard on the radio that they now reckon it'll be like this until Christmas. sad.gifsad.gifsad.gif

I don't know why the radio comes out with pish like this when the Met office say they don't have confidence in their predictions past 5 days. I'm sure the clowns on the radio just like to wind up gormless people :rolleyes:

Any help appreciated. I live in the sticks & I have got a job to do on Strachan Rd,Blackhall. How are the roads in that area? I know main roads are clear but I was wondering how bad the the likes of Strachan Rd are? The van is my mobile workshop and need to get it pretty close to house to unload gear. Cheers

Assuming you can get into Edin okay - Queensferry Road is fine - Strachan Rd has been gritted but not enough traffic to clear the slush yet - loads of piled up snow at the edge of the road though - if you drive a blue van you've already arrived and are slowly driving up the road :thumbsup:

Assuming you can get into Edin okay - Queensferry Road is fine - Strachan Rd has been gritted but not enough traffic to clear the slush yet - loads of piled up snow at the edge of the road though - if you drive a blue van you've already arrived and are slowly driving up the road :thumbsup:

cheers,decided not to bother.Ive got to come along A702 and didnt fancy it.Im hoping today will see the worst over. :whistling:

cheers,decided not to bother.Ive got to come along A702 and didnt fancy it.Im hoping today will see the worst over. :whistling:

Probably for the best - its just started full on again - at least 9-10 inches of snow now.

kingantti1874

to be fair of you read the met office predictions they arent good for the next 30 days but there is a degree of risk for prediction past 5 days..just been out taking some photos and measuribng snow in back garden 29".. 2ft 7" an dhas just started to snow again.

to be honest, beyond funny now! we genuinely dont have the infrastructure to cope with this.

Terrible in Falkirk aswell.

Must've been another 6 inches at least through the night. I've been the only person in my department at work for 3 days now...getting a tad boring :unsure:

I've not had any mail since saturday. assume today will be the same. not even looked out the window today yet. my neighbour dug his car fully it yesterday. be interesting to see if he is stuck again!

The Mighty Thor

I don't know why the radio comes out with pish like this when the Met office say they don't have confidence in their predictions past 5 days. I'm sure the clowns on the radio just like to wind up gormless people :rolleyes:

Buggers had me fooled likes blink.gif

Terrible in Falkirk aswell.

Must've been another 6 inches at least through the night. I've been the only person in my department at work for 3 days now...getting a tad boring :unsure:

Yup, it's pretty hellish out here. I never usually get caught up in it as I'm quite low down in Falkirk. The snow in my street is closer to my knees than my ankles.

I'm supposed to be back at work at Edinburgh Park tomorrow, but apparently there's only one train an hour running down from Stirling and they're full by the time they get to Camelon/Grahamston. No First 38 buses running either.

PS: Falkirk (for the moment) - love it - that's getting nicked for my profile too.

:thumbsup:

Yup, it's pretty hellish out here. I never usually get caught up in it as I'm quite low down in Falkirk. The snow in my street is closer to my knees than my ankles.

I'm supposed to be back at work at Edinburgh Park tomorrow, but apparently there's only one train an hour running down from Stirling and they're full by the time they get to Camelon/Grahamston. No First 38 buses running either.

PS: Falkirk (for the moment) - love it - that's getting nicked for my profile too.

:thumbsup:

I'm about 10 mins from calendar park so a fair amount here. My missus is going to get the train from Glasgow Queen street today (been to see family) to Falkirk High station...I could only imagine how bad it is up there.

ps. I decided to move here short term because of my work, was paying around ?200 a month to get here and back to Edinburgh per month, so that's effectively rent!

Nucky Thompson

Buggers had me fooled likes blink.gif

I wasn't suggesting you were gormless :D All the old gits in the queue in Spar were talking about it and were terror stricken :D

to be fair of you read the met office predictions they arent good for the next 30 days but there is a degree of risk for prediction past 5 days..just been out taking some photos and measuribng snow in back garden 29".. 2ft 7" an dhas just started to snow again.

to be honest, beyond funny now! we genuinely dont have the infrastructure to cope with this.

Do we just have to accept though that the country stops when it's bad snow? It will presumably cost the economy more with nobody working than it would be to buy adequate machinery, staff and grit and have us all moving.

This is the UK, why aren't we able to cope with bad weather? I wonder how countries in Scandanavia cope with snow like this?

I've not had any mail since saturday. assume today will be the same. not even looked out the window today yet. my neighbour dug his car fully it yesterday. be interesting to see if he is stuck again!

We got mail yesterday, only junk mail though. Could be due to the fact we live close to the delivery office in Portobello.

New Xbox hasn't arrived though. Still stuck in the West Midlands. :angry:

Do we just have to accept though that the country stops when it's bad snow? It will presumably cost the economy more with nobody working than it would be to buy adequate machinery, staff and grit and have us all moving.

This is the UK, why aren't we able to cope with bad weather? I wonder how countries in Scandanavia cope with snow like this?

To be fair, the weather at the moment seems pretty extreme compared to what we routinely get in winter, so it's no wonder our infrastructure is struggling to cope.

Need to figure out if this is going to be a freakish bad winter or whether there is something in this whole climate change thing. If the latter, then the infrastructure and way we do things has to change.

First thing I'd do is insist all vehicles using the roads to use snow chains, instead of expecting councils to magically make all the snow and ice disappear.