Official Golf geeks gibber thread

Victorian

Played Kittocks a few weeks back and it was superb. Greens as true as snooker tables.

I'll definitely need to play it again due to what others have said but the way it was that day wouldn't make me go back.

• Replies 14.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hmfc_liam06

• Samuel Camazzola

• Irufushi

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

They usually always have good offers.

I'm actually playing the Roxburghe next year, we're heading down the borders for a weekend of golf in the summer. Roxburghe, Woll, Hirsel and Eyemouth. Basing ourselves in Berwick.

Try and fit in Goswick...you wont be disappointed

They usually always have good offers.

I'm actually playing the Roxburghe next year, we're heading down the borders for a weekend of golf in the summer. Roxburghe, Woll, Hirsel and Eyemouth. Basing ourselves in Berwick.

Good wee trip that, the woll is one of the few in the area I haven't played but you'll enjoy the other 3 for sure. All very different courses to the other.

Berwicks a decent night out too, I'd avoid "the clubs" though

Pretty well golfed out, once a week winter golf has come at the right time I guess.

2.7 to 1.3 over the past year so can't grumble. Ready to enter plenty opens next summer too. Think that's part of the reason my golf has improved a bit

What's the target next year StSow?

Scratch by the end of next summer.

Never ever thought that would be a realistic target, especially with how many "faults" are in my grip and stance, but stuff it, aim low eh!

Good stuff, I think my target will be 2. Hopefully play over the winter. Keep the swing flowing :lol:

No reason why 2 can't be achieved

I know myself I can play better than my current handicap round my membership course as I'm sure you do round yours.

What I didn't realise before this season was when you play opens and play decent, a cut is on the cards with the css going up 2 or 3 shots usually.

Yeah, I've committed to the usual winter league team with my mates. Not taken too seriously and it does just as you say, keeps the swing going and keeps a bit of interest.

Getting out my bed at 7am on a bitter, windy Sunday morning is the killer.

Cyprus Jambo

West Linton for me next Thursday and Swanson the Monday after. Hopefully a game in between at Haddington.

Not a great season for me..........11.7 to 12.3 I think.

Correct 12.3 to 12.4 as got a .6 cut 2nd game of season.

Only played West Linton once before but yes longish par 3 finish.

Good wee trip that, the woll is one of the few in the area I haven't played but you'll enjoy the other 3 for sure. All very different courses to the other.

Berwicks a decent night out too, I'd avoid "the clubs" though

Nice one :thumbsup:

We're actually heading down to play Hirsel but a few of us are going to make a weekend of it and stay a couple nights.

My goals for next year.

1. Play more than twice a month.

2. Don't break my leg again..

3. Learn to chip

Then I might finally get below my 5 handicap.

Mixed bag front 9 but managed the back 9 in 3 over with 2 three putts. Delighted. Hopefully that's things looking up.

Yeah, learning to chip would be nice. I see some guys chipping and I see handfulls of shots to be had. Meanwhile I'm petrified and paralysed if I have to put anything but virtually a full swing on anything. I might actually try drink.

Yeah, learning to chip would be nice. I see some guys chipping and I see handfulls of shots to be had. Meanwhile I'm petrified and paralysed if I have to put anything but virtually a full swing on anything. I might actually try drink.

I'm the same.. I putt out the semi rough when I'm near the green.. it's pathetic. I'm the worst 5 handicapper in the world. Lucky I can drive, hit long irons and putt.. I chip like a 28 handicapper. Or maybe 36

I'm the same.. I putt out the semi rough when I'm near the green.. it's pathetic. I'm the worst 5 handicapper in the world. Lucky I can drive, hit long irons and putt.. I chip like a 28 handicapper. Or maybe 36

Ooooft, putting out the semi rough :rofl:

:Agree: it's almost an illness. I'll putt out of or through actual greenside rough. I've putted through feet of rough. I've even tried putting through a bunker and doing the 'slingshot' round the shoulder of a bunker. If there's no other practical choice but to flip it over a bunker or if it's maybe 10 feet off the green then the chip generally isn't a problem. It's when there's a possible choice to shy off from the chip. From the short stuff between 10 and 70 yards... could be anything. Sometimes not even on the green.

Then.. if you're chipping to nowhere near the hole then you're putting pressure on your putting.

Utterly horrific golf.

Come on now, that's not even close to being utterly horrific golf. Better than most golfers can dream of scoring.

Come on now, that's not even close to being utterly horrific golf. Better than most golfers can dream of scoring.

It is for 2 single handicap golfers playing better ball. It's a better ball score for 2 teen handicappers, everything is relative

Enjoyable round at Piperdam today, was driving superbly and only the putter let me down for smashing my PB. Went round in +16 but left 5 putts hanging over the cup.

Course itself was nice, cracking front 9, back 9 was a bit meh.

As a team event it's dreadful, taking our two handicaps into consideration.

As a team event it's dreadful, taking our two handicaps into consideration.

You'd expect 2 guys of your abilities to par a hole between you on each hole.

You'd expect 2 guys of your abilities to par a hole between you on each hole.

Yes, I said to my mate we should shoot under par today :lol: talk is cheap.

Yes, I said to my mate we should shoot under par today :lol: talk is cheap.

Yeah level par is the least I'd expect.

Last scramble we played we had a 10, 15, 20 & 22 play and we scored -7 scratch - still didn't win mind you!

Samuel Camazzola

For those with a Garmin watch, how long does it take to fully charge? I find it takes ages. After a couple of hours, the battery indicator is still active to suggest charging is ongoing.

Played this morning in Gullane 2. Course is in great condition as usual.. the weather was great.. had a stupid double bogey on the 14th where I thinned a chip into a bunker. I did manage to get up and down 3 times when chipping today. Shot a 74 so it's better than its been recently.

New irons and new driver are doing their jobs just sweet.

Freebie game at the glen tomorrow, new course for me so looking forward to it.

Played 9 holes this morning so I don't look like a dick tomorrow, played decent. Weathers looking good too so no excuses

The Mighty Thor

Bit the bullet and have ordered a Scotty cameron futura x5

Should be here tomorrow with a bit of luck

I've got the counter balanced version.

It's a really great putter with tremendous feel from the face.

My putting has improved no end with it.

I've got the counter balanced version.

It's a really great putter with tremendous feel from the face.

My putting has improved no end with it.

Much better roll and feels great of the face. Struggling to adjust a touch but I think the greens being a bit slower this time of the year is mostly to blame for that

Played again today, +18 with 39 putts :facepalm:

How can you bang it 250 down the middle with one shot then take 2 or 3 from 6 feet :lol:

Another what could have been round.

I played the Kittocks in May and the conditions were horrendous, easily the worst kept course I've played in this year.  Though my boss played it last week and said it was fine, I've caught it during a bad spell.

Really?  I played it through the winter and even then it was in great condition!  ?25 a round at the weekends ... well worth the cash!

Samuel Camazzola

Really? I played it through the winter and even then it was in great condition! ?25 a round at the weekends ... well worth the cash!

Played The Torrance at the weekend at that price and the course was superb.

Their membership looks good deal as you can tailor it to suit the number of games you wish to play. Also comes with four spa passes which are worth ?140 alone.

Really?  I played it through the winter and even then it was in great condition!  ?25 a round at the weekends ... well worth the cash!

As I said, I think I'd caught it at a bad time, everyone else has said it was in good condition any other time they'd played it.

Nice game at the glen today. Started crap and ended worse but made 4 birds in between. Enough to take the cash.

Course was decent, some dud holes but some good ones too.

http://www.golfinscotlandseriesevents.co.uk

Great set up.for next season. Absolute bargain to play some cracking courses. Highly recommend signing up as you will play great courses and meet great guys. I've played 3 years on it and just played the Renaissance for ?30 in the final. Castle Stuart for the final next season. Get signed up

The website doesn't give much away. What does it cost to enter and what's the round cost? Is it just strokeplay?

Their Masters series looks decent too, lesser courses but some crackers nonetheless. 

Great set up.for next season. Absolute bargain to play some cracking courses. Highly recommend signing up as you will play great courses and meet great guys. I've played 3 years on it and just played the Renaissance for ?30 in the final. Castle Stuart for the final next season. Get signed up

The website doesn't give much away. What does it cost to enter and what's the round cost? Is it just strokeplay?

Their Masters series looks decent too, lesser courses but some crackers nonetheless. 

Have them on my facebook page, even won a free 4ball through their daily comps but haven't entered an event yet. See they are also running a winter comp to. Always felt it was more geared to the lower handicaps.

Hate paying for golf elsewhere as pay enough for my membership without getting to play enough on my own course!!!!

Their Masters series looks decent too, lesser courses but some crackers

nonetheless.

Basically you pay ?40 to join in November then ?40 in March. You pick 4 courses excluding Castle Stuart. Each course costs ?30 to play. There are prizes at every par 3, longest drive and individual event winner. Prizes range from 4 balls, vouchers, laser range finders and GPS watches. Each event is Stableford. You add your 4 counting scores together plus your score from Castle Stuart and the top 6 from each section win an all expenses paid golf holiday. Places they have been are Dubai, Turkey and Florida.

If you want to play any events outwith your scoring events it costs ?20. For instance Cragielaw is ?80 or something at the weekend but you only pay ?20.

Everyone plays at the final no matter where you are on the leadeboard. At the final if you are way down with no chance of winning there is a wild card place on each finals day to win the holiday.

It's split into sections depending on the range of handicapps. Guys are playing in it with 20+ handicapps. Because it's stableford everyone has a chance.

They are great days with great guys on great courses.

Been working on getting the right arm into the swing for a more swing hit rather than just a swing.

Can't wait to take it onto the course and release the power.

Just hope it doesn't give me a two way miss.

Another one to say what a great series of events this is, also played the last 3 years and is excellent value, this is the price for next year with an extra 100 places as he has added an extra day to the final at castle Stuart.

It was ?225 all in this year, next season's gonna be ?230 - ?40 at registration, ?35 in March, ?30 at first 4 events and ?35 in August so there is nothing to pay on finals day :)

John mcCartney

noticed in that link,they now sold out !

whats the deal with that lot of comps they serve up then,surely its not 225 sovs for all em courses as
 your steppin on the tee all paid bar the sweep money you plonked on the pro`s counter ?

only thing with that lot it means the travelling is a factor n all

personally i do not mind one bit that it costs me a few quid over the year on fuel for me weekly pilgrimage to leven links
from the capital

noticed in that link,they now sold out !

whats the deal with that lot of comps they serve up then,surely its not 225 sovs for all em courses as

your steppin on the tee all paid bar the sweep money you plonked on the pro`s counter ?

only thing with that lot it means the travelling is a factor n all

personally i do not mind one bit that it costs me a few quid over the year on fuel for me weekly pilgrimage to leven links

from the capital

It's not opened yet for next season. It's 225 for 4 courses plus Castle Stuart. You pick your 4 counting events and pay ?30 on the day for these rounds. If you want to play any of the other courses for a non counter it's ?20 a round

• Maple Leaf changed the title to Official Golf geeks gibber thread