Official Golf geeks gibber thread

Victorian

Was at Bathgate at the weekend, well impressed with the layout and condition of the course and the food in the clubhouse was ideal.

Edited by Armageddon

• Replies 14.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hmfc_liam06

• Samuel Camazzola

• Irufushi

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5 hours ago, Stu_HMFC said:

Putter and driver re gripped from American golf on Saturday morning was in need of getting done 

My bank balance was done also after it 😂

I've bought grips on eBay and got my pro to do them (he's around £2 a grip). Did wonder if I was breaking some sort of code by giving him grips he sells at RRP though!

22 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

I'm always left a bit bewildered by Edinburgh parkland courses when I play them. I know it's city prices but the value for money in comparison to what we've got in Fife is night and day.

Royal Musselburgh felt like a Fife Golf Trust course but it's an 800 quid membership 🤷‍♂️

No it's not

Samuel Camazzola
35 minutes ago, sinks said:

No it's not

£700 and a waiting list I was told. I don't know if they are charging a joining fee on top of that too. 

Samuel Camazzola
35 minutes ago, sinks said:

No it's not

£700 and a waiting list I was told. I don't know if they are charging a joining fee on top of that too. 

1 hour ago, sinks said:

No it's not

Sorry, £699.

Still quite overpriced for me. How much is Monktonhall? Far better course.

Edited by hmfc_liam06

William H. Bonney
46 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Sorry, £699.

The 18th at monktonhall into the wind is soul destroying. 

William H. Bonney
46 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Sorry, £699.

1 minute ago, Furious Styles said:

Just checked the yardage from the whites 😳

Stroke index 11 as well!

Edited by hmfc_liam06

William H. Bonney
1 minute ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Stroke index 11 as well!

i think the whites are a good 100 yards further back than the yellow. Brutal finishing hole. 

59 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Sorry, £699.

That's as maybe... I just find it a bit classless a committee man slagging of other courses.

20 minutes ago, sinks said:

That's as maybe... I just find it a bit classless a committee man slagging of other courses.

:lol: where have I slagged it off? I've given an opinion that as a course I found it bland and that in comparison Fife courses are more value for money.

Sorry I didn't rate your course.

24 minutes ago, Furious Styles said:

i think the whites are a good 100 yards further back than the yellow. Brutal finishing hole. 

I'm amazed it's not a par 5, it must literally be a yard or two off being a par 5?

William H. Bonney
4 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

I'm amazed it's not a par 5, it must literally be a yard or two off being a par 5?

The 12th at Baberton is I believe 1 yard off becoming a par 5. I greened it in 2 last week for the first time ever, I think. 
A 3 wood from the rough. 

1 minute ago, Furious Styles said:

The 12th at Baberton is I believe 1 yard off becoming a par 5. I greened it in 2 last week for the first time ever, I think. 
A 3 wood from the rough. 

Nice!

Our 2nd is a monster, essentially same yardage as the 1st (a downhill par 5) but plays as an uphill par 4. I've had 1 par on it this year :lol: 

13 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

:lol: where have I slagged it off? I've given an opinion that as a course I found it bland and that in comparison Fife courses are more value for money.

Sorry I didn't rate your course.

Not my course,however if its one of the few with a waiting list so a lot of guys don't agree with you. Still think it's classless.

I actually played your course earlier in the year and thought it was a tip but didn't feel the need to tell everyone.

7 minutes ago, sinks said:

Not my course,however if its one of the few with a waiting list so a lot of guys don't agree with you. Still think it's classless.

I actually played your course earlier in the year and thought it was a tip but didn't feel the need to tell everyone.

Thanks for your feedback. We're well aware of what and where we need to improve 👍

Edited by hmfc_liam06

22 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Two 4 irons to the middle of the green for some on here…. Two 3 irons into the wind 😀

1 minute ago, Irufushi said:

Two 4 irons to the middle of the green for some on here…. Two 3 irons into the wind 😀

That you thinning shots again?

4 minutes ago, Irufushi said:

Slinging hooks pal 😂

😂I

Wouldn't mind finding the middle of a club, particularly the big stick 😂

Edited by hmfc_liam06

On 22/08/2021 at 19:43, hmfc_liam06 said:

I'm always left a bit bewildered by Edinburgh parkland courses when I play them. I know it's city prices but the value for money in comparison to what we've got in Fife is night and day.

Royal Musselburgh felt like a Fife Golf Trust course but it's an 800 quid membership 🤷‍♂️

I live currently in Edinburgh and I have lived in West Lothian I wouldn’t play parkland courses in Edinburgh like you said the prices are steep I don’t like the council courses either. A few no bad private courses I have played but I don’t mind a wee drive out to Dora or further into fife for a round . I was a member at Deer Park for a few years in Livingston . I always thought if you were looking for  good value , guaranteed tee times , and plenty option then West Lothian courses were ideal . In the last few years the prices have went up on most. 

Ive played RM once thought it wasn’t bad not returned in the last 2/3 years though I would have to go out and play it again .

2 hours ago, sinks said:

I would like to know what parts of the course you deem a tip or do you mean the course as a whole.? I played it a month or so ago and thought it was the complete opposite to tell the truth. There is a few things what may need upgraded Liam did mention the tee boxes what they are going to be working on in the future but as a whole I enjoyed my visit and I’ll be back. Club house and the woman in the shop were nice too very welcoming.

I would take Lochgelly over a carrick knowe any day of the week .

8 hours ago, Stu_HMFC said:

I live currently in Edinburgh and I have lived in West Lothian I wouldn’t play parkland courses in Edinburgh like you said the prices are steep I don’t like the council courses either. A few no bad private courses I have played but I don’t mind a wee drive out to Dora or further into fife for a round . I was a member at Deer Park for a few years in Livingston . I always thought if you were looking for  good value , guaranteed tee times , and plenty option then West Lothian courses were ideal . In the last few years the prices have went up on most. 

Ive played RM once thought it wasn’t bad not returned in the last 2/3 years though I would have to go out and play it again .

West Lothian is an underrated area for golf courses. I've yet to play Grangemouth, heard great things about it for a Council course (or now ex-Council I believe).

36 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

West Lothian is an underrated area for golf courses. I've yet to play Grangemouth, heard great things about it for a Council course (or now ex-Council I believe).

Is Grangemouth now by invite only? Been looking to play it but can't find tee off times anywhere

22 minutes ago, Jeff said:

Is Grangemouth now by invite only? Been looking to play it but can't find tee off times anywhere

I wouldn't have thought so. Have you checked the Scottish Golf app? They've maybe moved to that.

2 hours ago, Jeff said:

You need to call the Club mate. Struggle to book online. I had time booked a few months ago had to cancel the day off but its easy enough to book by calling the starter. 

Edited by Stu_HMFC

11 hours ago, Stu_HMFC said:

I would like to know what parts of the course you deem a tip or do you mean the course as a whole.? I played it a month or so ago and thought it was the complete opposite to tell the truth. There is a few things what may need upgraded Liam did mention the tee boxes what they are going to be working on in the future but as a whole I enjoyed my visit and I’ll be back. Club house and the woman in the shop were nice too very welcoming.

Like a lot of other courses in Scotland we were really toiling financially which obviously led to severe under-investment in the club/course. We're back on the up though and in a position to really focus on bringing things back up to a good standard, and it's encouraging seeing the local community get behind the club as well. Give me a shout again any time you and your old man want signed on.

If we're talking about classless comments, saying a course is a bit bland vs calling somewhere a tip, I know which one is classless but everyone is entitled to their opinion at the end of the day.

20 minutes ago, Stu_HMFC said:

You need to call the Club mate. Struggle to book online. I had time booked a few months ago had to cancel the day off but its easy enough to book by calling the starter. 

Just had a look online and it does look like it's old school call the starter rather than online booking.

18 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Like a lot of other courses in Scotland we were really toiling financially which obviously led to severe under-investment in the club/course. We're back on the up though and in a position to really focus on bringing things back up to a good standard, and it's encouraging seeing the local community get behind the club as well. Give me a shout again any time you and your old man want signed on.

If we're talking about classless comments, saying a course is a bit bland vs calling somewhere a tip, I know which one is classless but everyone is entitled to their opinion at the end of the day.

Cheers mate we will defiantly be back in the next month or so I'll drop you a message closer to the time.  

1 minute ago, Stu_HMFC said:

Cheers mate we will defiantly be back in the next month or so I'll drop you a message closer to the time.  

No worries. Think we'll be coring 2nd week in September but I'll let you know what like when you get in touch.

5 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

No worries. Think we'll be coring 2nd week in September but I'll let you know what like when you get in touch.

I think its hole 6 you're tee shot is really hard with that tree to the left / right of the par 3 5th I ended up flooking a fade around the tree the fairways were that dry it bounced and rolled don't think I could do that again 😂

2 minutes ago, Stu_HMFC said:

I think its hole 6 you're tee shot is really hard with that tree to the left / right of the par 3 5th I ended up flooking a fade around the tree the fairways were that dry it bounced and rolled don't think I could do that again 😂

Haha aye those trees are affectionately known as "those ****ing trees" locally :lol:

It's actually an easier hole from the medal tees as there's more room to take the tree on. Rare occasions I'm off the yellow tees I'll hit a 5i over them.

12 hours ago, Stu_HMFC said:

I'm not in the habit of slagging other courses.

It's not the first time Liam has slagged courses he visited,it was a course up St Andrews way a few weeks ago.

I find it hard to accept,after all courses have been through, that a committee member of one course would go online and slag other courses.

Maybe I expect too much

28 minutes ago, sinks said:

I'm not in the habit of slagging other courses.

It's not the first time Liam has slagged courses he visited,it was a course up St Andrews way a few weeks ago.

I find it hard to accept,after all courses have been through, that a committee member of one course would go online and slag other courses.

Maybe I expect too much

:lol:

Your version of slagging must wildly differ from mine if you think I've in any way slagged Royal Musselburgh. In fact, my opinion appears to mirror that of a lot of the comments on a proper golf review website - https://www.top100golfcourses.com/golf-course/royal-musselburgh

As for my comments on The Castle Course, the greens were poor and not what I'd expect from a multi-million pound organisation and I said as such. I'm sure they're crying into their bank statements at a random comment on a football forum.

I'm on here as a golfer just like everyone else, not as an official of my golf club (not that I'm even an official there either). But thanks for highlighting, I'll give this thread a swerve in future 👍

Edited by hmfc_liam06

Even if he did 'slag off' a course,  so what?  He's entitled to an opinion and being a committee member isn't some kind of half-assed gagging order.   

Monktonhall is a tremendous course imo.   

6 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Even if he did 'slag off' a course,  so what?  He's entitled to an opinion and being a committee member isn't some kind of half-assed gagging order.   

Monktonhall is a tremendous course imo.   

Was a previous member and can confirm its a tremendous course and also a proper test of golf especially off the back tee's.

10 minutes ago, Jambo314 said:

Was a previous member and can confirm its a tremendous course and also a proper test of golf especially off the back tee's.

Wouldn't know,I've never played it

Samuel Camazzola
2 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Your version of slagging must wildly differ from mine if you think I've in any way slagged Royal Musselburgh. In fact, my opinion appears to mirror that of a lot of the comments on a proper golf review website - https://www.top100golfcourses.com/golf-course/royal-musselburgh

As for my comments on The Castle Course, the greens were poor and not what I'd expect from a multi-million pound organisation and I said as such. I'm sure they're crying into their bank statements at a random comment on a football forum.

I'm on here as a golfer just like everyone else, not as an official of my golf club (not that I'm even an official there either). But thanks for highlighting, I'll give this thread a swerve in future 👍

From the critique you've applied to the three courses I regularly play, should I be offended? 😄 

37 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

From the critique you've applied to the three courses I regularly play, should I be offended? 😄 

No no, every golf course in Scotland is perfect, no flaws and full of excitement on every hole 🙄

Edited by hmfc_liam06

19 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Stroke index 11 as well!

Watch what you say about the stroke index at MGC........I put a lot of time & effort into it years ago!!

Determined by the guidance book in place & 2 years medal stroke play info. If you look at the scorecard you will notice a player getting 6 strokes, they will receive a stroke in every 3 holes sequence (1- 3, 4 - 6 etc).

A low stroke index on last hole is not a good choice & covered by the aforementioned guidance. If you think of it in terms of match play, a low number on 18 is too late in the round.

Glad you were complimentary on the course as I have been a member for 54 years. :P

18 minutes ago, 2205ian said:

Watch what you say about the stroke index at MGC........I put a lot of time & effort into it years ago!!

Determined by the guidance book in place & 2 years medal stroke play info. If you look at the scorecard you will notice a player getting 6 strokes, they will receive a stroke in every 3 holes sequence (1- 3, 4 - 6 etc).

A low stroke index on last hole is not a good choice & covered by the aforementioned guidance. If you think of it in terms of match play, a low number on 18 is too late in the round.

Glad you were complimentary on the course as I have been a member for 54 years. :P

Yeah I'm sure I read that you're either not allowed or its recommended not to have a low SI on the last.

Thought it would have been lower than 11 mind you :lol:

Was a while ago I played MGC mind you but I did enjoy it. Will need to try get back across some time.

Samuel Camazzola
2 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Everybody Loves Baz!

Stayed and played last weekend at the New Woll Estate in Selkirk, had a blast.

Digs were nice and course was in very good condition. Nice wee test and some lovely scenery.

Only criticism (if I really was pushed) would be I thought the greens were a tad slow. But I'm a member at Broomieknowe just now and find that are greens are very fast at the moment.

Highly recommend.

On 26/08/2021 at 19:32, Everybody Loves Baz! said:

Stayed and played last weekend at the New Woll Estate in Selkirk, had a blast.

Digs were nice and course was in very good condition. Nice wee test and some lovely scenery.

Only criticism (if I really was pushed) would be I thought the greens were a tad slow. But I'm a member at Broomieknowe just now and find that are greens are very fast at the moment.

Highly recommend.

A group of us are going there next weekend, been going for a number of years now, great set up there and the course is normally always in good condition, every year we go we seem to notice work that has been done to improve the course. 

Everybody Loves Baz!
9 hours ago, Alfie13 said:

A group of us are going there next weekend, been going for a number of years now, great set up there and the course is normally always in good condition, every year we go we seem to notice work that has been done to improve the course. 

The bar and upstairs with the pool table are still closed for some reason, so if you're drinking in a group, it's very difficult to stay quiet.

Still a great wee track as a course though.

8 hours ago, Stu_HMFC said:

9 holes booked for Dundas on Wednesday no played it before ? anyone played it whats the thoughts ? 

Interesting little nine holer, peaceful setting.

Small greens but lovely parkland turf,and some very strategically placed trees.

Not long but tricky.

Enjoy

9 minutes ago, merrymac said:

Interesting little nine holer, peaceful setting.

Small greens but lovely parkland turf,and some very strategically placed trees.

Not long but tricky.

Enjoy

Cheers fella looking forward to it .

I've seen mixed reviews with non members getting bit of a tight time from the starter when they arrive. 😂