Jump to content

Official Golf geeks gibber thread


Victorian

Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

 

Really nice course. Quite flat, very tree lined.

 

Only real negative is getting there. You have to park in the public car park and then walk across the rail bridge then down to the course, it's about a 10 minute walk. I'd advise taking a carry bag then hiring a pull trolley when there as it's a pain in the arse taking the trolley on the bridge.

I like a flat course getting sick of the hilly courses out of breath before you take the shot haha. 👍

 

That's a bit of a pain with the walk to the course I'm going to have a look online now at it. Always fancied it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 11.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • hmfc_liam06

    1865

  • Samuel Camazzola

    1019

  • Irufushi

    864

  • Victorian

    843

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Last medal I had one of my all too regular Jekyl & Hyde rounds.  Terrible going out and on the charge coming back.  Seems to be all the time now.  Had three putts of about 4-6 feet  not been missed coming back,  I would have been back in 31.  To be fair I drained 3 long ones in a row.  But I can't hope to have a score unless I can manage to get out in about 39 or something.  43 is no good.

Edited by Victorian
Link to post
Share on other sites

Played KingHorn at Burnt island last night. 

 

What a lovely wee course. Short and tight with some friends being very close to tees and other fairways. But it's on great nick, and quite charming.  

 

Greens were in great condition and putting was true. Will definitely be back

Link to post
Share on other sites

Summer meeting tomorrow at Gullane. It's 2 rounds over no.1 and no.2.  qualifying for the club champs etc.  

 

I'll be sore on Sunday.. And probably Monday through Thursday. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Carl Weathers

I'm pretty new to golf and wondered what the etiquette is for losing balls when you are just our for a practice game/bit of fun?

 

I was just dropping a ball roughly where I lost it and added a 1 shot penalty but see now that I should rehit from where the original shot was hit. I'm worried that will slow play. I just read something about hitting a provisional ball - is that standard practice?

 

Edit: I read a link that suggested it's acceptable for newbies to drop where the ball was lost but then to add 2 shots. Does that make more sense?

 

Cheers

Edited by Carl Weathers
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Carl Weathers said:

I'm pretty new to golf and wondered what the etiquette is for losing balls when you are just our for a practice game/bit of fun?

 

I was just dropping a ball roughly where I lost it and added a 1 shot penalty but see now that I should rehit from where the original shot was hit. I'm worried that will slow play. I just read something about hitting a provisional ball - is that standard practice?

 

Edit: I read a link that suggested it's acceptable for newbies to drop where the ball was lost but then to add 2 shots. Does that make more sense?

 

Cheers

Hi mate, welcome to golf.

In competition you must hit another shot from where you played the lost ball and add a penalty shot. Hitting a provisional ball happens when you think that your first shot has a good chance of being lost, and it will save the time of having to return to the original spot after searching.

The R&A introduced a new rule last year which allows you to drop a ball on the fairway opposite (level with) where you thought the lost ball finished), and add 2 strokes. This though is an optional rule, which your golf club may or may not allow in competition.

In a bounce game you can do whatever you like , in agreement with your playing partner, although the 2 shot rule above is probably the most commonly used.

There are some good explanetory rules videos  on various subjects, try You Tube

Good luck with your golf in future

MM

Link to post
Share on other sites
Carl Weathers
15 minutes ago, merrymac said:

Hi mate, welcome to golf.

In competition you must hit another shot from where you played the lost ball and add a penalty shot. Hitting a provisional ball happens when you think that your first shot has a good chance of being lost, and it will save the time of having to return to the original spot after searching.

The R&A introduced a new rule last year which allows you to drop a ball on the fairway opposite (level with) where you thought the lost ball finished), and add 2 strokes. This though is an optional rule, which your golf club may or may not allow in competition.

In a bounce game you can do whatever you like , in agreement with your playing partner, although the 2 shot rule above is probably the most commonly used.

There are some good explanetory rules videos  on various subjects, try You Tube

Good luck with your golf in future

MM

Thanks for the explanation. I need to stop losing so many balls!

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Carl Weathers said:

Thanks for the explanation. I need to stop losing so many balls!

No problem

Welcome to the lost ball club! it has a large membership😂

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Carl Weathers said:

Thanks for the explanation. I need to stop losing so many balls!

 

I have never bought new golf balls (though I did get some yellow lake balls a year ago when golf resumed under restrictions). I know the best spots to look if it's quiet when there's been a medal or something on prior and often end up with a collection of barely used Pro V1's. Which of course I end up losing myself.

 

The 2 shot penalty for dropping onto the fairway is a good one to go with and really helps speed up play for normal rounds and the private sweeps. During competition play I always hit a provisional if I'm in any doubt. It's something that could be encouraged more during competition play, especially with the influx of new golfers during the pandemic who are still learning the rules.

 

Stableford scoring also helps with lost balls because if you can no longer score a point on a hole then you just pick it up and move on.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Section N Rules

Anyone played Kelso golf course? Is it a decent course? My home course is closed for the weekend for the Stephen Gallagher tournament so giving kelso a try out.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Carl Weathers
2 hours ago, kila said:

 

I have never bought new golf balls (though I did get some yellow lake balls a year ago when golf resumed under restrictions). I know the best spots to look if it's quiet when there's been a medal or something on prior and often end up with a collection of barely used Pro V1's. Which of course I end up losing myself.

 

The 2 shot penalty for dropping onto the fairway is a good one to go with and really helps speed up play for normal rounds and the private sweeps. During competition play I always hit a provisional if I'm in any doubt. It's something that could be encouraged more during competition play, especially with the influx of new golfers during the pandemic who are still learning the rules.

 

Stableford scoring also helps with lost balls because if you can no longer score a point on a hole then you just pick it up and move on.

 

Appreciate that, cheers. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...