Official Golf geeks gibber thread

Victorian

I may of been responsible in giving Jon Rahm the bad luck what gave him two bogey’s in his first 4 holes this afternoon 😂 caught him heading onto to driving range wished him luck and got a fist pump from him top guy .

very good day at the golf today legs are red raw burnt stupid me going without cream again! 😂

looking forward to watching the final round tomorrow.

• Replies 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hmfc_liam06

• Samuel Camazzola

• Irufushi

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, 2205ian said:

Hope you enjoyed your day OBE.

I imagine it was a bit sticky wearing your waterproofs, however the brolly would come in handy as a sunshade:whistling:. Typical weather forecast gone wrong, but always safer to go prepared in Scotland.

Jon Rahm's Achilles heel with his short putts has cost him the lead. The one on 16 was a particularly poor effort, however still finished 2 under after a slow start & only 1 off the lead.

He was quite laid back being interviewed post round & I expect him to be holding the trophy tomorrow night. 

Looking forward to a good finish as plenty in with a chance. If the forecast is more accurate tomorrow, keeping the ball out the rough could prove to be decisive.

The weather made it so much more enjoyable, the skins and brolly were never used. Seen umpteen short putts missed on 16, MacIntyre was one, thought he was gonna burst walking to 17.

19/20 under should win it, with no wind, is fair. The rough is less forgiving this year with a wee bit added length and few bunkers tweaked, I'd say they've got the course spot on.

Could they get the weather forecast wrong two days in a row? I hope so...

willie wallace

Just heading out to the golf now.

First tournament I have been to to since the 1972 Lee Trevino win at Muirfield.

Really looking forward to it 

Don't suppose you are still allowed to walk alongside the players and have a wee blether these days😃

On 06/07/2021 at 10:24, Stu_HMFC said:

EW bet for Scottish open 

1/4 top 5 

Richard Bland 125/1

Victor Perez 125/1

Min Woo Lee 160/1

😏😜

On 06/07/2021 at 10:24, Stu_HMFC said:

EW bet for Scottish open 

1/4 top 5 

Richard Bland 125/1

Victor Perez 125/1

Min Woo Lee 160/1

Nice one Stu👍

Tommy Brown
10 hours ago, willie wallace said:

Just heading out to the golf now.

First tournament I have been to to since the 1972 Lee Trevino win at Muirfield.

Really looking forward to it 

Don't suppose you are still allowed to walk alongside the players and have a wee blether these days😃

You'll have good time, you might even get a wee practice shot off the 10th tee, players are very accommodating these days.

Brian Barnes will share a tin of beer with you.

If it wasn't for Rick Shiels I wouldn't have known who he was. Rick said he's the best player he's ever played with. Hopefully has a very successful career ahead of him.

On 12/07/2021 at 19:48, Section N Rules said:

If it wasn't for Rick Shiels I wouldn't have known who he was. Rick said he's the best player he's ever played with. Hopefully has a very successful career ahead of him.

Exactly why I bet him 😂. Seemed to play well in both the videos

On 12/07/2021 at 19:48, Section N Rules said:

That's were I got him from also haha! 160/1 £2.50 EW. 

I have went this week 

£10 on Fitzpatrick 40/1 

£3 on Oosthuizen 33/1

£2 on Leishman 66/1

All on the win 

hmfc_liam06

Funny old game.

Playing poorly for a couple weeks and then all of a sudden, 9 holes into a round on Saturday a game appears. 3 cutting scores in a row since.

🤷‍♂️

Felt I've lost some yardage this season because I've been mucking around with my wrist hinge too much.

What do you do? Do you think about it during the backswing, forcefully hinging on a pivot point to get them set at the top, or do you just grip the club lightly and not think about it letting them hinge naturally as the elbow tucks in?

I'm trying to generate more lag at impact and get out of this 'the harder I try to hit it the less it goes' phase.

If anyone is looking for a good second hand putter im selling my Taylor Made FCG Spider, only thing wrong is the velcro on the head cover is no longer sticky. GC4C offered me less than I thought will only use them as a last resort.

Rakes back in the bunkers but looks like some still can’t be arsed.

Who leaves the rake in the bunker or at the side? One stopped my ball going in it today, but I leave them fully in the bunker (close to the edge so easy to reach) for that reason. I don’t want to give some ****er some luck during a medal!

On 17/07/2021 at 12:31, kila said:

Felt I've lost some yardage this season because I've been mucking around with my wrist hinge too much.

What do you do? Do you think about it during the backswing, forcefully hinging on a pivot point to get them set at the top, or do you just grip the club lightly and not think about it letting them hinge naturally as the elbow tucks in?

I'm trying to generate more lag at impact and get out of this 'the harder I try to hit it the less it goes' phase.

I think wrist hinge should be a natural reaction to a good set up and start of the backswing. If you are actually thinking about it then that's what is probably slowing you down as you try to set it in a position rather than swing it there. Focus on a good tempo throughout the swing, and not rushing the transition from back to down, that will create better lag.

All my poor shots stem from being quick from the top

Hope that helps 👍

57 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Finally!

It's destroyed my short putting

Know what you mean.  Certain putts can be affected.  If not actually but certainly in how a player envisages the hole-out.  Some putts are there to be hit firmly and the pin has changed that a bit.  

That said,  I predict a fair amount of spin outs now.  Guys hitting their putts a tad firmer and the lip accelerating the ball out.  

14 minutes ago, merrymac said:

I think wrist hinge should be a natural reaction to a good set up and start of the backswing. If you are actually thinking about it then that's what is probably slowing you down as you try to set it in a position rather than swing it there. Focus on a good tempo throughout the swing, and not rushing the transition from back to down, that will create better lag.

All my poor shots stem from being quick from the top

Hope that helps 👍

Cheers, I think you're right about being too quick from the top. Something to work on next!

26 minutes ago, kila said:

Cheers, I think you're right about being too quick from the top. Something to work on next!

Timing will be better if you get the right hip movement and weight transfer as the backswing transitions into the downswing.  You can practice getting the left hip out of the way by making an exaggerated hip movement up and left before you start the downswing.  Another good drill is to start the swing from stationary position at the top of the swing (no backswing).  You need to start it down by getting the hips moving which also automatically gets the weight shifting towards the left.

Edited by Victorian

1 hour ago, Victorian said:

Timing will be better if you get the right hip movement and weight transfer as the backswing transitions into the downswing.  You can practice getting the left hip out of the way by making an exaggerated hip movement up and left before you start the downswing.  Another good drill is to start the swing from stationary position at the top of the swing (no backswing).  You need to start it down by getting the hips moving which also automatically gets the weight shifting towards the left.

👍

giphy.webp

This is a strange one.......a few months ago i was really struggling with my game,i was playing all kinds of horrible shots and was close to stopping playing altogether but i decided to get a lesson from club pro (Ian Seath,liberton gc) and i felt i had something to work on,i got another lesson a month or so after and felt a massive improvement in my swing,tempo and ball striking yet even though i carried this onto the course i still made the odd disastrous shot which would lead to 2 or 3 7s on my card. Then at beginning of June i managed to not only qualify for B section championship i actually won the bloody thing,i played out my skin and from the last 16 to the 2 round final i made very few bad shots but since then in normal stroke play comps i can't reach the form i did in matchplay.

My question is how do you guys make every shot a pressure shot in stroke play as i can't seem to get the same intensity/concentration i did in matchplay. 

8 minutes ago, dode41 said:

This is a strange one.......a few months ago i was really struggling with my game,i was playing all kinds of horrible shots and was close to stopping playing altogether but i decided to get a lesson from club pro (Ian Seath,liberton gc) and i felt i had something to work on,i got another lesson a month or so after and felt a massive improvement in my swing,tempo and ball striking yet even though i carried this onto the course i still made the odd disastrous shot which would lead to 2 or 3 7s on my card. Then at beginning of June i managed to not only qualify for B section championship i actually won the bloody thing,i played out my skin and from the last 16 to the 2 round final i made very few bad shots but since then in normal stroke play comps i can't reach the form i did in matchplay.

My question is how do you guys make every shot a pressure shot in stroke play as i can't seem to get the same intensity/concentration i did in matchplay. 

They're very different things and to a great degree you're better off not having pressure on every shot in strokeplay.  

'Success' in strokeplay is more difficult and a higher achievement than matchplay.  Posting very good scores is the blue ribband for any golfer.  Matchplay is great and it is what it is but,  when push comes to shove,  you're only competing against one player and each hole stands alone and carries nowhere near the same jeopardy of ruining an entire round/match.  There's a false comfort in matchplay.

You don't absolutely need intensity on shots in strokeplay,  but you do need some intensity and concentration to construct scores.

Samuel Camazzola
1 hour ago, dode41 said:

How many pints are sunk nowadays in between the two rounds of the B Final? 😂 This was a theme back in the day at Libby. 

On 19/07/2021 at 21:51, Samuel Camazzola said:

How many pints are sunk nowadays in between the two rounds of the B Final? 😂 This was a theme back in the day at Libby. 

Ha ha.........i stuck to juice but my opponent had 2. I had a right skinful afterwards though 

Samuel Camazzola
22 minutes ago, dode41 said:

Ha ha.........i stuck to juice but my opponent had 2. I had a right skinful afterwards though 

👍 😄

From the trophy, you'll find the year an Eric Millar won it. I'm surprised he managed to make it out for round 2! 🥴

Anyone played Cardrona in Peebles recently ? Looking for a game on Saturday no been down there for few years. 

William H. Bonney
29 minutes ago, Stu_HMFC said:

Anyone played Cardrona in Peebles recently ? Looking for a game on Saturday no been down there for few years. 

I played it last year. Nows the time to play it, with it being dry. 

13 minutes ago, Furious Styles said:

I played it last year. Nows the time to play it, with it being dry. 

Never played for a month or so played well on Tuesday night at Oatridge. I think I seen a couple reviews online about the greens down there are not the best at the moment ? . 

William H. Bonney
13 minutes ago, Stu_HMFC said:

Never played for a month or so played well on Tuesday night at Oatridge. I think I seen a couple reviews online about the greens down there are not the best at the moment ? . 

I don’t recall how they were to be honest. I enjoyed it. Long course though, especially when you’re carrying your clubs. 

1 hour ago, Stu_HMFC said:

I played it alot last year, due to it being quiet and we could play a 5 ball. Bunkers were in terrible condition but I've heard they are better now. Would be a brilliant course if properly looked after.

1 hour ago, Section N Rules said:

I played it alot last year, due to it being quiet and we could play a 5 ball. Bunkers were in terrible condition but I've heard they are better now. Would be a brilliant course if properly looked after.

I’ll decide tomorrow might be a Dora or Lochgelly instead 😂 just to get a game 

1 hour ago, Section N Rules said:

hmfc_liam06
8 minutes ago, Juan Jose Carricondo Perez said:

My mate played Cardrona on Saturday. Greens were like a camel trackD6C8F7EE-F27F-4D62-AE36-F32D2B4EF90E.thumb.jpeg.f6809547d9282a298d5d9e708e840edc.jpeg

What the ****....!!!

hmfc_liam06
2 hours ago, Stu_HMFC said:

DM me and I'll get you on Lochgelly at guest rates.

Juan Jose Carricondo Perez
3 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

What the ****....!!!

double checked and he sent the photos on Sunday. Looks horrific. 

hmfc_liam06
Just now, Juan Jose Carricondo Perez said:

Outrageous. There's no excuse for that.

hmfc_liam06
20 minutes ago, Juan Jose Carricondo Perez said:

Showed my green keeping mate the photo, says there's really no coming back from that, likely would need to relay their greens.

2 hours ago, Juan Jose Carricondo Perez said:

My mate played Cardrona on Saturday. Greens were like a camel trackD6C8F7EE-F27F-4D62-AE36-F32D2B4EF90E.thumb.jpeg.f6809547d9282a298d5d9e708e840edc.jpeg

Jesus Christ what the hell 

there is no excuses for that 

Edited by Stu_HMFC

2 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

DM me and I'll get you on Lochgelly at guest rates.

Cheers mate I’ll let you know tomorrow will speak to my old man tomorrow afternoon . Would be later on in the afternoon I think 3 / 3.30 

Samuel Camazzola
16 hours ago, Stu_HMFC said:

If you have a fourball, you can get tee times on the Castle Course for £50 a head through Scottish Golf. 

Superb course and very good price considering their standard peak season rates. 

hmfc_liam06
7 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

If you have a fourball, you can get tee times on the Castle Course for £50 a head through Scottish Golf. 

Superb course and very good price considering their standard peak season rates. 

Mad you should bring this up, I've literally just booked it. Playing on the 2nd of August.

Samuel Camazzola
2 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Mad you should bring this up, I've literally just booked it. Playing on the 2nd of August.

Good stuff. It's a tremendous course and doesn't get anywhere near the recognition it deserves. The 17th is a class par 3 but coukd be a round wrecker! 

For booking, did they just need your SG number? 

hmfc_liam06
10 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Good stuff. It's a tremendous course and doesn't get anywhere near the recognition it deserves. The 17th is a class par 3 but coukd be a round wrecker! 

For booking, did they just need your SG number? 

They've just asked for home clubs, I'm presuming they'll just check the CDH database.