Official Golf geeks gibber thread

Victorian

11 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

Played Arbroath last sept. Loved it.

Tradional old fashioned links.

Bunker edges were a bit untidy.

Suited me as it wasnt a long course.

Want to play it again.

We are going to book hotel in Dundee for a couple of nights and book a few rounds of golf closer to the time I do fancy Arbroath maybe that Monifieth too. 

• Replies 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hmfc_liam06

• Samuel Camazzola

• Irufushi

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Tommy Brown
24 minutes ago, Stu_HMFC said:

We are going to book hotel in Dundee for a couple of nights and book a few rounds of golf closer to the time I do fancy Arbroath maybe that Monifieth too. 

I had Monifieth and Panmure seniors open booked this year, gutted that had withdraw from them both. Haven't  played either yet, but well recommended. As Montrose also.

None overly expensive.

2 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

I had Monifieth and Panmure seniors open booked this year, gutted that had withdraw from them both. Haven't  played either yet, but well recommended. As Montrose also.

None overly expensive.

I'm just hoping that by the time we go in October the greens are still in good condition I know some courses do some ground work in October no played any links courses for a while so playing 1 or 2 when we go is a must. 

hmfc_liam06
6 hours ago, Stu_HMFC said:

Anyone played link courses around Dundee Angus ?  like Arbroath ? looking to head up for a few days in October for a few rounds on links. 

Another vote for Arbroath.

Not links but Forfar well worth a play.

Good win in the Hero Open at the Bay by local East Lothian boy Grant Forrest.

Birdied the last two to win - quality 👍

On 06/08/2021 at 12:27, Stu_HMFC said:

Anyone played link courses around Dundee Angus ?  like Arbroath ? looking to head up for a few days in October for a few rounds on links. 

Another shout for Arbroath, was there a few weeks back, the par 3’s are beauties.

Duff House and Brora over the next 3 weeks.

On 09/08/2021 at 18:10, Armageddon said:

Another shout for Arbroath, was there a few weeks back, the par 3’s are beauties.

Duff House and Brora over the next 3 weeks.

Think Arborath is defiantly going to get played when we are up their. wont book anything until we are closer to the time been looking at pictures online of it and it looks good. 

4 hours ago, Stu_HMFC said:

Think Arborath is defiantly going to get played when we are up their. wont book anything until we are closer to the time been looking at pictures online of it and it looks good. 

Arborath is definitely a hookers course 😉

First 5 or 6 holes is OB right.

9 hours ago, Jeff said:

Playing Oatridge this weekend. Meant to be short but fun - like my sex life

Hopefully not embarrassed  and feeling ashamed afterwards:whistling:

Juan Jose Carricondo Perez

9 holes this morning at Blair Atholl. Lovely little course for a brief escape from the family holiday 😂

9 holes this morning at Blair Atholl. Lovely little course for a brief escape from the family holiday 😂

19 minutes ago, Juan Jose Carricondo Perez said:

How were the greens? When I played in June they were horrific.

28 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Down to 8.7 now...love this new handicap system :lol: 

Had a look at what I'd be with the old system - 9.1 (using standard scratch).

Not a millions miles away.

2 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

How were the greens? When I played in June they were horrific.

not too bad but holes were placed away from where they were patchy so can see what you mean. 
It was a nice change and a peace from the kids for an hour!

46 minutes ago, Juan Jose Carricondo Perez said:

not too bad but holes were placed away from where they were patchy so can see what you mean. 
It was a nice change and a peace from the kids for an hour!

Aye I can imagine you didn't care what the course was like :lol:

Samuel Camazzola

Dumbarnie is looking tremendous on the telly box. The lushest I'm seen it since it opened. Very breezy today which gives it a bit of protection. 

Played an open at Kingussie today. First time I’ve played it and it’s a lovely track. Not long but the greens were great , great views too. -2 after 8 holes…… I’ll not mention the rest 😂

Got 5 mates playing in the Murcar gents open tomorrow.

God I'm jealous, recovering from an operation, been out 3 months and probably at least another 3 months.

Murcar is one cracking course.

After a double / bogey / double start today I've just gone and broke my personal best again - scratch 74. I played the last 11 holes to par. Absolutely buzzing.

5 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

After a double / bogey / double start today I've just gone and broke my personal best again - scratch 74. I played the last 11 holes to par. Absolutely buzzing.

👏 nice shooting 

1 hour ago, Jeff said:

Played Oatridge today. Greens were like putting on concrete

Very very fast! played it a couple of times after work in the last month and they are lightening.  I think the green on 6 was looking worse for wear wasn’t as bad as the picture from the cardrona but was needing a good amount of water on them .

34 minutes ago, Stu_HMFC said:

Very very fast! played it a couple of times after work in the last month and they are lightening.  I think the green on 6 was looking worse for wear wasn’t as bad as the picture from the cardrona but was needing a good amount of water on them .

I birdied hole 2 but must have 3 putted the rest... Impossible.

Nice wee course though to be fair

7 hours ago, Jeff said:

I birdied hole 2 but must have 3 putted the rest... Impossible.

Nice wee course though to be fair

I just recently started playing it again as it has plenty times and I can get 9 in after work . Couldn’t play there all the time though . I drove through 8 chipped back onto the green and it ran for miles 3 putt the 9th is no bad either 

3 hours ago, Stu_HMFC said:

I just recently started playing it again as it has plenty times and I can get 9 in after work . Couldn’t play there all the time though . I drove through 8 chipped back onto the green and it ran for miles 3 putt the 9th is no bad either 

Did you use a driver on 8? Fairly long par 3 so beating it with an iron would be quite impressive

12 minutes ago, Jeff said:

Did you use a driver on 8? Fairly long par 3 so beating it with an iron would be quite impressive

Medal Tee 295 

Just now, Jeff said:

Good strike. If I remember correctly it's quite tight with the trees towards the green aswell.

You have the trees what run along the right of the fairway and the trees left of the tee off. The first is the killer of me can ruin your score card before it starts. 

3 minutes ago, Stu_HMFC said:

You have the trees what run along the right of the fairway and the trees left of the tee off. The first is the killer of me can ruin your score card before it starts. 

I played the first quite well both times. 6 and a 7 but that involved 3 putting each time 😂 

Edit - playing off yellows

Edited by Jeff

3 minutes ago, Jeff said:

I played the first quite well both times. 6 and a 7 but that involved 3 putting each time 😂 

Edit - playing off yellows

If I play the 18 by the time the 10th comes around I'm not bad with it but the first hole I have been in all that crap down the right side of the course OB or in the heavy rough when its dry its murder to get out off . 

2 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Anyone played Pitlochry recently to vouch for its condition etc...? A lot of decent offers for it on the go. 

Some of the greens are still a wee bit patchy but on the whole it's in decent enough nick.

Samuel Camazzola
33 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Some of the greens are still a wee bit patchy but on the whole it's in decent enough nick.

👍 

Will likely give it a go and try to take in another within the vicinity. 

Cheers 

8 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Anyone played Pitlochry recently to vouch for its condition etc...? A lot of decent offers for it on the go. 

We were there for food recently and you could see the 18th green was ropey.

Samuel Camazzola
33 minutes ago, Armageddon said:

We were there for food recently and you could see the 18th green was ropey.

Took a wee haunt up today for a change of scenery and lunch in the Red Deer restaurant. There are a few patches on the 18th which look like have had treatment but the putts seemed to be rolling on it OK. 

Impressive backdrop they have for the course. 

I think I've dropped some swing speed of late and that's certainly not from a high bar in the first place.  Decent distance has been a struggle and it's probably as a result of the swing speed dropping below a level that suits the stiff shaft on my driver.  I don't tend to hit right or get the dead,  harsh feedback you might expect from too stiff a shaft but the distance drop off tells a story.  Got a different driver on the way.  Taking a punt on a Cobra LongTom with R shaft.  These are 48" long (+2" on standard).  Hoping this also aids a bit more swing speed and a flatter swing plane is what I used to have.

Better stock up on balls.  :)

Edited by Victorian

Samuel Camazzola
34 minutes ago, Victorian said:

I think I've dropped some swing speed of late and that's certainly not from a high bar in the first place.  Decent distance has been a struggle and it's probably as a result of the swing speed dropping below a level that suits the stiff shaft on my driver.  I don't tend to hit right or get the dead,  harsh feedback you might expect from too stiff a shaft but the distance drop off tells a story.  Got a different driver on the way.  Taking a punt on a Cobra LongTom with R shaft.  These are 48" long (+2" on standard).  Hoping this also aids a bit more swing speed and a flatter swing plane is what I used to have.

Better stock up on balls.  :)

No trial and fitting? 😳😮

Samuel Camazzola
1 hour ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Royal Musselburgh on Sunday - anyone played it recently?

Not for around three years. It was a decent enough wee course with some nice dogleg. I think it was 16 or 17 which was a longish par 3 from the back tee with a tiered green. 

Not sure of the history of the club to carry the Musselburgh name when it's basically the Pans! 😂 

8 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

No trial and fitting? 😳😮

No I don't bother with it.  I ocassionally try a new driver or other clubs on a take a punt basis.  It was just a case of getting an R shaft driver in and fancied a longer than standard shaft anyway.  This has a midsize Lamkin Crossline grip which I like.  I have the jumbo on my current Ping.

Old skool ***** me.  I'll adapt to the driver.

Samuel Camazzola
3 minutes ago, Victorian said:

No I don't bother with it.  I ocassionally try a new driver or other clubs on a take a punt basis.  It was just a case of getting an R shaft driver in and fancied a longer than standard shaft anyway.  This has a midsize Lamkin Crossline grip which I like.  I have the jumbo on my current Ping.

Fair do's. I can't imagine doing that as premium clubs are getting more expensive each year and would be looking to make the correct investment. Fair play if you've found a deal to justify the punt. 

I've no idea where the ball would end up if I used a regular shaft these days. I think it's been over 20 years since I've swung one. Maybe it's what's missing from my game... 😄 

Cleveland have just launched their new drivers in the US and are due to come here in the spring. From the reviews I've watched for them, the reputable guys are raving about them and the price point is a couple of hundred less than the market leaders. They look great and I'll give them a shot. 

1 minute ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Fair do's. I can't imagine doing that as premium clubs are getting more expensive each year and would be looking to make the correct investment. Fair play if you've found a deal to justify the punt. 

I've no idea where the ball would end up if I used a regular shaft these days. I think it's been over 20 years since I've swung one. Maybe it's what's missing from my game... 😄 

Cleveland have just launched their new drivers in the US and are due to come here in the spring. From the reviews I've watched for them, the reputable guys are raving about them and the price point is a couple of hundred less than the market leaders. They look great and I'll give them a shot. 

This is S/H and not too much of a gamble.  They have decent residual value as well.  I've usually been quite good at sourcing what I'm looking for.  I'll keep an eye on the Clevelands.  :)

I'm not going to criticise custom fitting but it's no guarantee of being correctly fitted.  I've spoken to a couple of players much better than me who were fitted for drivers that they didn't take to at all when used on the course.  

Samuel Camazzola
3 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Samuel Camazzola
1 hour ago, Victorian said:

I'm not going to criticise custom fitting but it's no guarantee of being correctly fitted.  I've spoken to a couple of players much better than me who were fitted for drivers that they didn't take to at all when used on the course.  

There's a whole load of variables involved. Someone could have their heart set on a specific brand of club and be fitted for something that's not suitable. A good fitter should provide the advice needed here. 

The fitter may not be very good is another possibility. A fitter could be looking to make a sale against a specific model to meet targets etc. Again, questions of the choice of fitter would be raised. 

Several players I know cannot speak highly enough of Scott Gourlay at Swanston as his testing and fitting covers everything. 

Samuel Camazzola
1 hour ago, Victorian said:

There's a whole load of variables involved. Someone could have their heart set on a specific brand of club and be fitted for something that's not suitable. A good fitter should provide the advice needed here. 

The fitter may not be very good is another possibility. A fitter could be looking to make a sale against a specific model to meet targets etc. Again, questions of the choice of fitter would be raised. 

Several players I know cannot speak highly enough of Scott Gourlay at Swanston as his testing and fitting covers everything.