Official Golf geeks gibber thread

Victorian

Samuel Camazzola
2 hours ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Played Dumbarnie Links today. 

Really enjoyed it. Some good technical holes and a few risk/reward holes.

Hole in one on 16 helped immensely 😎

Well done. Did you get a flag and bottle? Previous players who got a hole in one were given them. 

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hmfc_liam06

• Samuel Camazzola

• Irufushi

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Mighty Thor
5 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Well done. Did you get a flag and bottle? Previous players who got a hole in one were given them. 

I did indeed. Really nice touch. 👍

Samuel Camazzola

👍

A three on 16 is a good score at the best of times. To walk away - 2 is something else. 

Hopefully all the good work didn't unravel on 17. I've only played 17 well when I've hit a 5 iron up to the corner and pitched on. The temptation of blasting a 3 wood at the great has resulted in poor outcomes. 

Samuel Camazzola

👍

A three on 16 is a good score at the best of times. To walk away - 2 is something else. 

Hopefully all the good work didn't unravel on 17. I've only played 17 well when I've hit a 5 iron up to the corner and pitched on. The temptation of blasting a 3 wood at the great has resulted in poor outcomes. 

hmfc_liam06
6 hours ago, The Mighty Thor said:

So that was your ugly mush on their Facebook page? :lol:

Kidding! Nice one, well done!

hmfc_liam06

Broomieknowe open yesterday, greens were superb (few patchy ones aside) and run quite quick, certainly smoother and quicker than any other course I've played this year.

I had an absolute horror show though, drove the ball superbly but everything else was abysmal. The middle stretch of the course really chewed me up.

The Mighty Thor
4 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

👍

😂 Managed a 4 4 finish. Went for the green but found a decent lie up left. 

Was shaking like a shitting dog on the 17th tee though😂

Samuel Camazzola
7 hours ago, The Mighty Thor said:

😂 Managed a 4 4 finish. Went for the green but found a decent lie up left. 

Was shaking like a shitting dog on the 17th tee though😂

I've played it four times. Twice irons to the corner and twice had birdie putts resulting in easy pars. Whilst going fir the green, have found myself up in the left corner with a tricky pitch down and through the green. No pars on the card! 😂 

11th is probably the easiest hole on the course. 3/4 birdies with it being driveable with 3 wood or 2 iron. 

Armageddon
On 24/05/2021 at 05:07, The Mighty Thor said:

Amazing!  I saw the post on Facebook, I actually thought it was a father and son in the photo at first! 

Great hybrid :)

Bleedsmaroon

Kingsbarns on Thursday, start of a great run of golf which includes, the kings, Queens, Cruden Bay and 36 holes at Muirfield.

Stu_HMFC

Is there any update on the Scottish open this year and the chance there could be fans ? 

Also Playing Charlston on Saturday no played there for a couple of years anyone played it recently ? 

Samuel Camazzola
5 hours ago, Stu_HMFC said:

Is there any update on the Scottish open this year and the chance there could be fans ? 

Also Playing Charlston on Saturday no played there for a couple of years anyone played it recently ? 

Charleton (Fife) or is there a course called Charlston? 

I've not been to Charleton since they had the fire but they have been heavily promoting the place and have plans to apply improvements. I've often enjoyed the course and it has some quirky greens. 

Stu_HMFC
3 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Charleton (Fife) or is there a course called Charlston? 

I've not been to Charleton since they had the fire but they have been heavily promoting the place and have plans to apply improvements. I've often enjoyed the course and it has some quirky greens. 

Yeah the one in Colinsburgh going to go on Saturday plenty times available think the last time I played was maybe 3/4 years ago up there . 

Samuel Camazzola
15 minutes ago, Stu_HMFC said:

Yeah the one in Colinsburgh going to go on Saturday plenty times available think the last time I played was maybe 3/4 years ago up there . 

From the emails they've been sending, their green fees have been very good. Their website has had a bit of work done to it too. 

Stu_HMFC
1 hour ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

From the emails they've been sending, their green fees have been very good. Their website has had a bit of work done to it too. 

£25 in the morning

£22.50 between 12 and 3

£15 after 3 

I’ve been up there twice before don’t mind playing further away from Edinburgh it’s the drive back what’s a killer that road back to the bridge is never ending 😂

Samuel Camazzola
9 minutes ago, Stu_HMFC said:

£25 in the morning

£22.50 between 12 and 3

£15 after 3 

I’ve been up there twice before don’t mind playing further away from Edinburgh it’s the drive back what’s a killer that road back to the bridge is never ending 😂

Great value. £25 visitor fees anywhere is good going. 

hmfc_liam06

Have Trump Int done away with their Scottish rates?

Barack

Played two 9 holes with my Dad, whilst up at the weekend. 

That'll be it until September. Probably for the best.

Stu_HMFC
12 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Great value. £25 visitor fees anywhere is good going. 

Aye I got myself booked in for 12.45 on Saturday looking forward to it. 

Will try get tickets at 5pm for the Scottish open . Doubt i'll be lucky to get one but if I don't try I will never know. With last years open without fans that was  the first one I never went to in the last 6 

10 hours ago, Barack said:

Played two 9 holes with my Dad, whilst up at the weekend. 

That'll be it until September. Probably for the best.

Don't get on with your Dad I take it?

hmfc_liam06

Thinking of a wee trip to Spey Valley next week.

Was going to play Trump until I seen that their generous Scottish rate is now just £10 or so cheaper than the full rate.

Barack
2 hours ago, kila said:

Don't get on with your Dad I take it?

Ha. No, he's not the issue. 

Victorian

Not that sure we're going to have proper summer course conditions this year but looking forward to it if it happens.  Bit of run.  Firm ground with a nice bit of dry grass covering.  Firm, pacey greens.  The kind of golf you look forward to all winter.

hmfc_liam06
25 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Not that sure we're going to have proper summer course conditions this year but looking forward to it if it happens.  Bit of run.  Firm ground with a nice bit of dry grass covering.  Firm, pacey greens.  The kind of golf you look forward to all winter.

I know my place are around 4 weeks behind, in terms of growth, coverage, soil temp etc.

Samuel Camazzola
8 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Thinking of a wee trip to Spey Valley next week.

Was going to play Trump until I seen that their generous Scottish rate is now just £10 or so cheaper than the full rate.

Great price. Is it on their webpage? 

Nice trek between 1st green to 2nd tee and again 17th green to 18th tee. 😬😳😁

Samuel Camazzola
9 hours ago, Stu_HMFC said:

Aye I got myself booked in for 12.45 on Saturday looking forward to it. 

Will try get tickets at 5pm for the Scottish open . Doubt i'll be lucky to get one but if I don't try I will never know. With last years open without fans that was  the first one I never went to in the last 6 

Further promo from them today regarding bank holiday weekend. Juniors play free with an adult booking. 

Forecast for next week looks good, some heat and blue skies at last. Hopefully get another 15-20 yards run off the tee too.

hmfc_liam06
2 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Great price. Is it on their webpage? 

Nice trek between 1st green to 2nd tee and again 17th green to 18th tee. 😬😳😁

£40 for Spey Valley, 9am tee. Hired a buggy as well so £60 each for our day.

hmfc_liam06
1 hour ago, kila said:

Forecast for next week looks good, some heat and blue skies at last. Hopefully get another 15-20 yards run off the tee too.

Played my home course for the first time in a week or so, place is absolutely soaking, going to need a good couple of weeks of warm dry weather.

Samuel Camazzola
29 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Enjoy. The buggy will reduce the times between greens and tees mentioned above. 

Some cracking holes. 1 is a nice opener. I think it's 7 or 8 which is a sharp dogleg then 16 is a par 3 over water. 

I doubt anyone will have beaten Koepka's course record in recent years. 

hmfc_liam06
2 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Enjoy. The buggy will reduce the times between greens and tees mentioned above. 

Some cracking holes. 1 is a nice opener. I think it's 7 or 8 which is a sharp dogleg then 16 is a par 3 over water. 

I doubt anyone will have beaten Koepka's course record in recent years. 

Should be good, looking forward to it.

Thinking of playing another course later in the day, maybe stop by Blair Athol, 9 holer.

Victorian
2 hours ago, kila said:

Probably get another 10 yard carry in the warm,  less dense air.  20 yards of run.  That 30 yards completely changes my prospects.  Probably worth 4 or 5 shots in a medal. 

I'll probably start missing all the clutch putts I hole.

Samuel Camazzola
10 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Should be good, looking forward to it.

Thinking of playing another course later in the day, maybe stop by Blair Athol, 9 holer.

Macdonald Hotels had a 9 hole course (Dalfaber) as part of the country club just around the corner from Spey Valley. Not sure if it's still there though. 

Spey Valley were also constructing a 9 hole Academy Course when I was last there but again, not seen any emails from them promoting it. 

13 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

A wee bit of advice for Spey Valley. Wearing shorts or long strides, use an insect repellent. 3 of our group of 24 picked up ticks. The thick heather/gorse just of the fairways is where you'll be susceptible. Or you could just keep it on the cut"n"prepared...:thumbs_up:

hmfc_liam06
1 hour ago, OBE said:

A wee bit of advice for Spey Valley. Wearing shorts or long strides, use an insect repellent. 3 of our group of 24 picked up ticks. The thick heather/gorse just of the fairways is where you'll be susceptible. Or you could just keep it on the cut"n"prepared...:thumbs_up:

Going by the forecast it'll be shorts so thanks for the advice!

Bigsmak

I went onto my ShotScope today to download the Dalmahoy West course as I am playing there this evening.  Haven't played if for ages and it seems like a nice day.  So I thought I would look at my stats! 

I've played 2 rounds this year and only hit my 3 iron once! Shows what a little bit of wind does to your game! 

golf P average

Fancy taking golf up again, never swung a club for about 10yrs, got the clubs out this morning and rusted and straight into bin.

Where is the best cheapest place to get a good set of clubs?

Not looking for top range but something that won't shame me on the course.

Furious Styles
13 minutes ago, Gambo said:

Fancy taking golf up again, never swung a club for about 10yrs, got the clubs out this morning and rusted and straight into bin.

I was in American golf at the braids last week and noticed they had 2nd clubs for sale. Maybe worth a look. 

Samuel Camazzola

As I've not had much of an opportunity to play in many comps and medals, decided to play a general play round to post a score. Aim was to get some scores in to provide a more accurate WHI reflective of current form. Ended up with a cut! 😂 

+3 which included a double and two needless three putts. Could have been a far better score. Will see what next few rounds bring as I'll have two contributing scores dropping off soon. 🏌️ 

Irufushi
On 28/05/2021 at 10:58, hmfc_liam06 said:

Going by the forecast it'll be shorts so thanks for the advice!

Take plenty balls 😂 I wouldn’t bother looking for it in that heather some of its above knee height. 

great course though.

Barack
46 minutes ago, Gambo said:

Good set of Wilson's. Good value & have ranked higher in Golf Digest type reviews in recent years.

Porridge plays with them quite happily. And I use my Dad's old set when I go up to Scotland if I can't be bothered taking my own Titleists.

1 hour ago, Gambo said:

Second hand clubs are a good way to go if you want better quality ones without the cost. I got my Titleist blades second hand but still in good enough nick (£220 via Gumtree).

If you are serious about getting into it again and play regularly, you're better spending money on better stuff now (even if used) than to throw a couple of hundred away on a shiny new set of cheapie irons that you'll want to replace within a season.

hmfc_liam06
1 hour ago, Irufushi said:

Take plenty balls 😂 I wouldn’t bother looking for it in that heather some of its above knee height. 

great course though.

Is it punishing just now aye? Thankfully I'm driving pretty straight just now...

...why did I have to say that :lol:

The Mighty Thor
3 hours ago, Gambo said:

Clubs 4 cash at Loanhead.

Speak to Rob. He's a club fitter and they'll find something that suits 

Stu_HMFC

Walked off Charleton after 13 so busy and pace of play was the worst I’ve seen in my 15 years of playing golf . There was some massive club outing all in fancy dress and beving. Finished hole 13 went to tee off there was a 4 ball sitting on the tee waiting to hit 3 ball waiting on them a boy on his own then us just over 3hours to play 13 holes . Wasn’t impressed in the fairways and greens . The greens were to heavy and thick .