Top Posters In This Topic

• hmfc_liam06

• Samuel Camazzola

• Irufushi

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

7 hours ago, Victorian said:

Absolutely.  Some of my standout places for personal reasons wouldn't make a top 200 or maybe 300 list.  Particularly good scores around Merchants (68) and Winterfield (70),  both at first sight.  Blairgowrie (Wee course) is an outstanding and quirky wee track that I've played about 30+ times.  66 for twice around on one occasion.  But it's a different question to a top course list.

Likewise I actually shot 59 round Dunaverty on first sight, never got even close again. Some of the best greens i ever putted on though.

10 minutes ago, merrymac said:

Likewise I actually shot 59 round Dunaverty on first sight, never got even close again. Some of the best greens i ever putted on though.

Some going.  

I would make out a case for the Braids being on that list.  Just for the setting,  the history of the course with the Dispatch Trophy and mostly for those last 7 holes.

Just now, Victorian said:

Some going.  

I would make out a case for the Braids being on that list.  Just for the setting,  the history of the course with the Dispatch Trophy and mostly for those last 7 holes.

Absolutely agree with that, the Braids is an absolute gem,requiring good shot making ability.

Lucky enough to have a Dispatch Trophy Gold medal - one of my most treasured possessions

Just now, merrymac said:

Absolutely agree with that, the Braids is an absolute gem,requiring good shot making ability.

Lucky enough to have a Dispatch Trophy Gold medal - one of my most treasured possessions

I remember you saying.  A tremendous piece of Lothians golfing history.

hmfc_liam06
20 minutes ago, merrymac said:

Dunaverty is an absolute gem of a golf course and would agree, could make a case for top 100. Also agree about the greens. I played there and the two Machrihanish courses in the one trip and Dunaverty had the best greens of the 3.

6 minutes ago, Victorian said:

I remember you saying.  A tremendous piece of Lothians golfing history.

Sorry repeating myself again😒

Old age does not come easy😒

4 minutes ago, merrymac said:

Sorry repeating myself again😒

Old age does not come easy😒

Repeat away as much as you want.  That's a big thing to have on your C.V.

29 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Repeat away as much as you want.  That's a big thing to have on your C.V.

Thanks V👍

Appreciate your kind words.

White Spider
On 26/07/2021 at 22:20, Armageddon said:

1 Turnberry Ailsa 
2 St.Andrews Old Course 
3 Royal Dornoch
4 Muirfield 
5 Carnoustie (Championship)
6 North Berwick (West) 
7 Kingsbarns
8 Royal Aberdeen (Balgownie) 
9 Castle Stuart 
10 Trump International 
11 Cruden Bay (Championship) 
12 Ardfin
13 Royal Troon (Old)
14 Gleneagles (Kings) 
15 Western Gailes 
16 Prestwick 
17 Loch Lomond 
18 Machrihanish (Championship) 
19 Nairn (Championship)
20 Gullane (No.1) 
21 Machrie
22 Renaissance
23 Gleneagles (Queen's) 
24. Machrihanish Dunes 
25 Skibo Castle- Carnegie Club 
26 St.Andrews (New) 
27 St.Andrews (Castle)
28 Moray (Old) 
29 Brora 
30 Dundonald ✅
31 Lundin Links 
32 Archerfield (Fidra) 
33 Dukes St.Andrews ✅
34 Murcar Links 
35 Elie 
36 Blairgowrie (Rosemount)
37 Panmure 
38 Boat of Garten 
39 Dunbar
40 Trump (Robert the Bruce)
41 Fraserburgh (Corbiehill)
42 Gullane (No.2) 
43 Glasgow Gailes 
44 Spey Valley ✅
45 Southerness 
46 Luffness New 
47 St.Andrews (Jubilee) 
48 Leven Links 
49 Montrose (Medal) ✅
50 PGA Gleneagles
51 Archerfield (Dirleton)
52 Ladybank 
53 Scotscraig 
54 Monifieth (Medal)  
55 Irvine 
56 Nairn Dunbar
57 Fairmont St Andrews (Torrance)
58 Prestwick St.Nicholas
59 Kilspindie
60 Peterhead (Old)
61 West Kilbride 
62 Roxburghe 
63 Golspie 
64 Kilmarnock Barassie 
65 Downfield
66 Longniddry 
67 Crail (Balcomie) 
68 Lanark  
69 Fortrose & Rosemarkie
70 Crail (Craighead)
71 Blairgowrie (Landsdowne) 
72 Fairmont St Andrews (Kittocks)
73 Powfoot  
74 Kings 
75 East Renfrewshire 
76 Newmacher (Hawkshill) 
77 Bruntsfield Links 
78 Mortonhall 
79 St.Andrews (Eden) 
80 Musselburgh 
81 Kilmalcolm
82 Askernish 
83 North Berwick, The Glen 
84 Royal Burgess 
85 Craigielaw 
86 Reay
87 Moray (New) 
88 Tain
89 Edzell (Old)
90 Forfar
91 Glenbervie 
92 Ranfurly Castle
93 Duff House Royal 
94 Stranraer
95 Meldrum House 
96 The Carrick 
97 Port Patrick (Dunskey) 
98 Alyth 
99 Auchterarder 
100 Mar-Hall

28 in all, played 10 in top 20!

First post on the thread for many a year, but I’ve been making good progress since then.

I was probably hitting 100+ last time I posted here 6-7 years ago. Current handicap is 14.1 (based on the Golfshot App).

I first broke 100 in 2015 and managed a 90 only a few days later (I was well overdue when I finally got under 100, the 90 was the opposite, premature & lucky).

It didn’t play much 2016 & 2017 so it took until 2018 to get under 90 with an 88.

I joined the Edinburgh Leisure membership in June last year when the courses reopened & I was on furlough so for the last year I’ve been really improving.

I got down into the mid 80’s last summer with an 85, and a few 86-88 rounds.

Towards the end of summer I was really struggling for distance. 

I came back this spring even worse. Driver was only going 180. 7 iron was only going 100 yards. (Although strangely I managed an 82 right in the middle of my swing crisis).

I went for some lessons & within 1 lesson I was hitting the ball way further & better. (Driver 220-230 and 7 iron 140+).

Within 2 weeks I’d shot an 80 an 81 and an 82 at Carrick Knowe and I’ve had a few more mid 80’s.

If you’re wondering what I was doing wrong:

1. Too far away from the ball

2. Using my arms to try and generate power rather than rotating.

3. Coming in too low and flicking my wrists rather than cocking them

When they say, don’t spend £400 on a new driver, spend £100 on lessons, it’s so true. (Although I did also treat myself to a Ping driver after I’d sorted my swing). 

I highly recommend Ian Young at The Braids.

I just shot 85 round the Braid Hills today which is my record for that course. I was +6 after 12 and thinking “surely I’m not going to break 80 HERE”.

I was right. 7 at the par 3 13th. Just missed the big bunker but the ball was too close to it to get my feet behind it so 3 onto the green and a 4 putt for a 7 due to a stinking pin position. 

Lost a ball at 14 for a 6 & also 4 putted at 16 for a 6 due to the fast sloping greens.

So, 3 bad holes but still happy with the score overall and the way I’m now hitting the ball. 

I’m still not super long and pull my drives left occasionally which never used to happen with my old swing, but I can get to most greens in regulation if I hit the ball well (there are a few exceptions like the 6th at the Braids & the 16th at Silverknowes).

Hoping to break 80 at CK before the end of summer.

Edited by BigC
Adding details

Psycho Hatton Ryder Cup team, yank yob fans will be salivating at the prospect, handled it before mind. No human being should have a smile wider than a Hyena...

hmfc_liam06

New personal best in a medal tonight with a 75. Heading for an 8.9 handicap.

Wasn't even going to bother tonight as well as I'd had a couple shockers last 2 rounds.

spirt of 98
16 hours ago, RDSK said:

Mortonhall back on 18 greens. Thought this day would never come.

Aye only nearly 8 months into the year. When’s the CEO being sacked. Mortonhall is the worst condition I’ve seen it in 30 years. 

How quickly do our handicaps go down? I’ve been going up 0.1 the last few medals :( 

Shooting well during bounce games (high 70s) so maybe I should start putting cards in for general play too.

Really hate putting scores into the iG app though, it’s like a Picasso painting. 

hmfc_liam06
1 minute ago, kila said:

How quickly do our handicaps go down? I’ve been going up 0.1 the last few medals :( 

Shooting well during bounce games (high 70s) so maybe I should start putting cards in for general play too.

Really hate putting scores into the iG app though, it’s like a Picasso painting. 

You've obviously lost 1 of your 8 each time you've gone up and not bettered any of your top 8 scores. Look at your top 8 and it'll give you an indication of what you need to beat to get cut.

Every golfer should know what their 20th score is before they tee off on the 1st nowadays.

A bit confused by yesterday's handicap adjustment.  I had a net 69 and the score dropping out of the 20 scores was a net 70.  But I went up by 0.2.  

Eh?

Tommy Brown
3 hours ago, Victorian said:

A bit confused by yesterday's handicap adjustment.  I had a net 69 and the score dropping out of the 20 scores was a net 70.  But I went up by 0.2.  

Eh?

Did your net 70 maybe also have another stroke off for a nett DB?

Its the adjusted gross or score differential that matter.

Screenshot_20210802-103220_Facebook.jpg

Eh?

Did you play off the same tees? 70 might be the better differential.

Or was your handicap the same? Net score is actually irrelevant.

Just noticed that guys.  Net score is irrelevant.  Net differential is the thing.  Just noticed that I have a gross 81 in there that I thought wasn't counting but it seems to be a very low differential and it's counting instead of a gross 78.  The score dropping out of the 20 has a differential of 6.9 and replaced by a 8.0.  Both were gross 77.  

Heid mangler.

Right so score diff is the thing.  Currently have :

2 x free hits plus 2 x 8.8 counters coming off in the next 4.  Rest of the comp season left to claw a bit back off the handicap.

On 26/07/2021 at 18:34, Samuel Camazzola said:

I think The Dukes, Lundin Links and Leven are ranked way higher than they deserve to be. 

especially leven a few years ago it was good value good price their prices have rocketed . 

Edited by Stu_HMFC

Tommy Brown

Just noticed that guys.  Net score is irrelevant.  Net differential is the thing.  Just noticed that I have a gross 81 in there that I thought wasn't counting but it seems to be a very low differential and it's counting instead of a gross 78.  The score dropping out of the 20 has a differential of 6.9 and replaced by a 8.0.  Both were gross 77.  

Heid mangler.

Its the score differential that is most important. It's this score that is averaged out for your handicap rating.

hmfc_liam06
5 hours ago, Victorian said:

Heid mangler.

(Gross adjusted score - course rating) x 113 ÷ slope rating.

That gives you your differential.

hmfc_liam06

Played the Castle Course at St Andrews today. I'm glad it was a Scottish Golf rate because I'd have hate to have paid full rate for that. Total let down and for a course being part of the Links Trust it is in embarrassing condition.

Samuel Camazzola
1 hour ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Played the Castle Course at St Andrews today. I'm glad it was a Scottish Golf rate because I'd have hate to have paid full rate for that. Total let down and for a course being part of the Links Trust it is in embarrassing condition.

That's sad to hear. Played it twice last year (in testing conditions) and it was great. Once was for the season opener in March which you'd expect it to be in its poorest condition due to growing season not kicking in but it was very good. 

Played Charleton yesterday which was in very good condition. Back tees and greens were great. Some of the pin positions for the competition were 'on the edge' and some of the breaks in the putts were the most severe I've experienced. Great value for a game around there. 

hmfc_liam06
19 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

That's sad to hear. Played it twice last year (in testing conditions) and it was great. Once was for the season opener in March which you'd expect it to be in its poorest condition due to growing season not kicking in but it was very good. 

Played Charleton yesterday which was in very good condition. Back tees and greens were great. Some of the pin positions for the competition were 'on the edge' and some of the breaks in the putts were the most severe I've experienced. Great value for a game around there. 

Yeah pretty deflated to be honest, expected much more. Our greens are better ffs :lol:

Samuel Camazzola
11 minutes ago, Irufushi said:

Dornoch yesterday….. my favourite course 

C9FF903F-EAAE-447D-B6D2-40A67E1E4141.jpeg

Looks tremendous! 👌🏼

Samuel Camazzola

Scottish Open to become a PGA Tour event from next year! Massive boost for the event which has been growing in popularity over the past decade. 

New sponsorship too. 

William H. Bonney
14 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Scottish Open to become a PGA Tour event from next year! Massive boost for the event which has been growing in popularity over the past decade. 

New sponsorship too. 

Would be nice if they changed courses too. Preferably castle Stuart 

Samuel Camazzola
1 hour ago, Furious Styles said:

Would be nice if they changed courses too. Preferably castle Stuart 

Castle Stuart was part of the rota but it'll be interesting to see what influence the PGA Tour will have on venues as Fed Ex points will be up for grabs. 

joondalupjambo

Sitting bored after a putting failure today so thought this might be an interesting fact, there is no such course called Lundin Links GC.  It is called Lundin GC. Locals refer to it as Lundie.  As Michael Caine never actually said, Not a lot of people know that!!

I bet half the members at the club do not even know it :lol:  

The Mighty Thor
5 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Castle Stuart was part of the rota but it'll be interesting to see what influence the PGA Tour will have on venues as Fed Ex points will be up for grabs. 

Money talks and Renaissance and its backers have plenty. 

It'll stay there for a bit IMO.

Samuel Camazzola
25 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Money talks and Renaissance and its backers have plenty. 

It'll stay there for a bit IMO.

The current model has seen the venue have a two year stint then switch. I wouldn't be surprised to see some Open venues (Troon, Carnoustie, Muirfield) be used when their use for the Open is a bit away. Would like to see it return to Royal Aberdeen soon. 

28 minutes ago, Jeff said:

Played Niddrie Castle today. Nice challenge

No bad course played it many times tried to prevent myself from playing it as I've played it so many times. It used to be my go to course If I couldn't get a time elsewhere 

Playing Oatridge the night after work greens were perfect and like glass a couple weeks ago looking forward to it. 

neal-jambos
1 hour ago, Jeff said:

Played Niddrie Castle today. Nice challenge

I played in the open around a month ago and enjoyed it even after getting caught in a downpour. A few stupid lost balls from tee shots on 3 (hooked), 4 (sliced over railway) and 14 (sliced behind 13th green) stopped me putting in a decent score but it was a good course. The 2nd and 17th are interesting approach shots. 

2 hours ago, neal-jambos said:

I played in the open around a month ago and enjoyed it even after getting caught in a downpour. A few stupid lost balls from tee shots on 3 (hooked), 4 (sliced over railway) and 14 (sliced behind 13th green) stopped me putting in a decent score but it was a good course. The 2nd and 17th are interesting approach shots. 

The 2nd I played with a 7 iron cause I didn't dare shank one into the gorse 😂

Samuel Camazzola

The Torrance is looking great on the live TV coverage. A few of the pros have been very complimentary of the greens again too. 

Tommy Brown
2 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

The Torrance is looking great on the live TV coverage. A few of the pros have been very complimentary of the greens again too. 

Is it purely the Torrance being played, or is some Kitticks holes being used too?

Samuel Camazzola
1 hour ago, Tommy Brown said:

Is it purely the Torrance being played, or is some Kitticks holes being used too?

Just the Torrance, Tommy. They did make a hybrid of the two for Open qualifying a couple of years ago but they'd need to prep both courses to the same standard if they wanted to do that again for the Tour event. 

Tommy Brown
37 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Just the Torrance, Tommy. They did make a hybrid of the two for Open qualifying a couple of years ago but they'd need to prep both courses to the same standard if they wanted to do that again for the Tour event. 

Yeah, thats what I remembered.

Played it few times, had 36 points at Xmas time in horrible cold wind. 

I was trying google map as i was watching and got confusrd, but sussed it now.

Samuel Camazzola
5 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

Yeah, thats what I remembered.

Played it few times, had 36 points at Xmas time in horrible cold wind. 

I was trying google map as i was watching and got confusrd, but sussed it now.

Interesting to see quite a few being tentative with their approaches to 16 and leaving them short of the green. With wind picked up and it being a front pin, they must not fancy risking going beyond the flag in case they think the ball disappearing down the cliff is a possibility. 

Tommy Brown
1 minute ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Interesting to see quite a few being tentative with their approaches to 16 and leaving them short of the green. With wind picked up and it being a front pin, they must not fancy risking going beyond the flag in case they think the ball disappearing down the cliff is a possibility. 

Be interesting to see if the heavy rain hits.

When I played Kittocks in Nov, it was bloody wellingtons required.

Samuel Camazzola
38 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

Be interesting to see if the heavy rain hits.

When I played Kittocks in Nov, it was bloody wellingtons required.

Scoring this afternoon was heavily restricted. The afternoon guys got it tougher and they'll be the ones getting the worst of tomorrow's conditions in the morning. 

Anyone played link courses around Dundee Angus ?  like Arbroath ? looking to head up for a few days in October for a few rounds on links. 

Tommy Brown
1 hour ago, Stu_HMFC said:

Anyone played link courses around Dundee Angus ?  like Arbroath ? looking to head up for a few days in October for a few rounds on links. 

Played Arbroath last sept. Loved it.

Tradional old fashioned links.

Bunker edges were a bit untidy.

Suited me as it wasnt a long course.

Want to play it again.

2 hours ago, Stu_HMFC said:

Arbroath is good. Old style, some tough holes if  wind blows. Defo worth a visit.

Monifieth, and Montrose also top quality, might be a bit more expensive than Arbroath though.