Official Golf geeks gibber thread

Victorian

Just started playing golf seriously. Did anyone else start with irons off the tee? Seem to be hitting it far more accurately and longer using a 3 iron

• Replies 14.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hmfc_liam06

• Samuel Camazzola

• Irufushi

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

19 minutes ago, Jeff said:

Just started playing golf seriously. Did anyone else start with irons off the tee? Seem to be hitting it far more accurately and longer using a 3 iron

Yeah I just hit a 3 iron off the tee for a while as my driving was horrendous. 

Some YouTube videos and visits to the driving range put an end to that. You should be able to gain a good 50 yards or more if you learn to hit a driver. 

Edited by Ray Gin

By all means continue hitting an iron or something else whilst playing rounds to get a foothold in the game but the option to be able to use a driver is fairly essential imo.  When you can comfortably use a driver it is by far the easiest,  most consistent,  controllable,  shapeable club off the tee.  It's more forgiving than an iron for off-centre strikes.  The minimal loft provides consistency of flight.  Loft off a tee peg is hazardous to control and loft makes it more difficult to hit straight shots and fade shots.  Practice as much as possible to use a driver.

I’ve been playing golf for 10 years and to this day I still take a iron off the tee sometimes . I might not get the same distance as my driver but if the fairways are quiet narrow with trees or rough either side I’m more than happy to take a iron feel more consist play the percentages. 

Plenty holes where hitting an iron off the tee is sensible if you can hit a driver 280+ yards. Nothing more satisfying than a flushed 2 iron off the tee for me, more so than a drive into orbit.

hmfc_liam06
On 30/06/2021 at 21:59, Jeff said:

I never used to hit any sort of wood for years. I'd always hit irons then gradually worked in hybrids, then bought a 3 wood then driver. Been hitting driver for a couple of years now, it's never done me any harm.

If you're just starting out, hitting irons and learning course management is a sensible way to go. Aim to get on the green in 3 on par 4's, 4 on 5's.

Carl Weathers

I probably should play it safe more but I like to try the driver when I can. Often end up in trees/bushes etc...

luckyBatistuta
9 minutes ago, Carl Weathers said:

Just ordered the Kirkland wedges from Costco. They get great reviews.

Bought them yesterday, but I haven’t had a go yet. My 14 year old lad had a round yesterday with them, but it was raining so didn’t get a lot of feedback from him on them. Two of my friends who are single figure rave about them.

2 hours ago, OBE said:

Scottish Open, got tickets for Sat, hope the rough is penal, none of the sparse wispy pish...

Looking forward to it I'm going on Saturday too hope the weather stay dry. 

EW bet for Scottish open 

1/4 top 5 

Richard Bland 125/1

Victor Perez 125/1

Min Woo Lee 160/1

5 hours ago, Stu_HMFC said:

Looking forward to it I'm going on Saturday too hope the weather stay dry. 

18 deg's 10mph wind with sunny intervals, that'll do...

9 minutes ago, OBE said:

18 deg's 10mph wind with sunny intervals, that'll do...

Weather for shorts then hopefully no brolly's 

hmfc_liam06
14 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

@hmfc_liam06

Seen on Facebook there that course is still on receiving end of pointless vandalism.

Feel for you and members.

Aye mate, it's constant. Course is looking the best it has been in the 5 years I've been there as well and then you get this kinda shit.

1 hour ago, weegranty said:

Playing Kingsknowe today,never played it before.

I enjoyed it the time I played it. Not a fan of the 18th, especially with the clubhouse just yards beyond the green with big glass panes asking for it!

3 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

@hmfc_liam06

Seen on Facebook there that course is still on receiving end of pointless vandalism.

Feel for you and members.

That Lochgelly ?

Just now, hmfc_liam06 said:

Aye 👍

I seen it on the facebook page as well shocking behavior that from stupid arseholes.

I have not played it before always been meaning too I have played down the road a few times at Dora how would you compare it to dora ?

will try and play it in the next couple of weeks. 

hmfc_liam06
21 minutes ago, Stu_HMFC said:

I seen it on the facebook page as well shocking behavior that from stupid arseholes.

I have not played it before always been meaning too I have played down the road a few times at Dora how would you compare it to dora ?

will try and play it in the next couple of weeks. 

Probably the polar opposite to the Dora.

Shorter (5,400), tighter and very small greens. It's a good wee test though. Give me a shout any time you want to try it out, I'll get you sorted with a sign on rate 👍

29 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Probably the polar opposite to the Dora.

Shorter (5,400), tighter and very small greens. It's a good wee test though. Give me a shout any time you want to try it out, I'll get you sorted with a sign on rate 👍

I'll like to give it a play I will let you know mate cheers. 

McIlroy, Rahm and Thomas just teeing off at the Scottish Open. Going to be some group to watch, looks bluer skies out the east than Edinburgh.

The Gorgie

Was playing on Tuesday and it started pishing down just as we teed off. Soaked to the bone by the first green. Gave up by the 6th and went for something to eat. Totally forgot my Scottish golf app was still running. Woke up Wednesday to a email and penalty score of 125 😂

Has anyone been to the Scottish open on Thursday ? Going on Saturday seen on the ticket they ask if possible take a home test has anyone done this ? and if so do you need to take you're results with you ? 

hmfc_liam06

Decent weekend of golf coming up - Scotscraig on Saturday and Montrose on Sunday. Pity I'm playing attrocious golf.

Tommy Brown
1 hour ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Decent weekend of golf coming up - Scotscraig on Saturday and Montrose on Sunday. Pity I'm playing attrocious golf.

Seems to be that you only play to two different levels.  Outstanding or atrocious:lol:

1 minute ago, Furious Styles said:

definitely. He’s in the video I linked. 

Guid Kilspindie member all over it...

Just now, Stu_HMFC said:

What was this all about. From the video it he looks well dressed wonder if he has been put up to this as a stunt or just a nutter. 

Heid case, Stu, He's in the Royal infirmary...:conf11:

William H. Bonney

Watching the golf this morning I’ve noticed how pissy Jon Rahm is. Out in 29, all smiles. Back nine is a bit wobbly and he starts giving a cameraman grief then looks like he’s going to snap his club. 
Bit of an attitude. 

1 minute ago, OBE said:

Heid case, Stu, He's in the Royal infirmary...:conf11:

Reckon one of Rory's body guards have giving him a hiding haha 

1 minute ago, Stu_HMFC said:

Reckon one of Rory's body guards have giving him a hiding haha 

And then replaced, security posted missing initially.

hmfc_liam06
1 hour ago, Tommy Brown said:

Seems to be that you only play to two different levels.  Outstanding or atrocious:lol:

Tbh you are right :lol:

Consistently 5 or 6 above handicap at the moment. Got to a 9 handicap but it's been backwards ever since!

Scottish Open, tight-at-the-top, chuffed no ones running away with this...yet, should be a cracking weekend, need a wee bit of a blaw though...🌬️💨

Edited by OBE

1 hour ago, OBE said:

Scottish Open, tight-at-the-top, chuffed no ones running away with this...yet, should be a cracking weekend, need a wee bit of a blaw though...🌬️💨

https://www.europeantour.com/european-tour/abrdn-scottish-open-2021/tee-times?round=3

some interesting groups tomorrow 

Game 19 and 25 are the ones I’ll be looking forward to see!

Edited by Stu_HMFC

Yes, 19 and 17 for financial reasons. If Rahm doesn't throw a strop, the rest will need to hang onto his coat tails.

Would love Migliozzi to pish in Hattons corflakes sometime over the weekend.

6 Scots made the cut, magic. Good to see Thomas, Morikawa and Schauffele making a fist of it and not just here for the Haggis, lobster and Cullen Skink.

Sat/Sun 3 balls, unusual, they'll have their reasons, Health and Safety nae doot.

Edited by OBE

2 hours ago, OBE said:

Yes, 19 and 17 for financial reasons. If Rahm doesn't throw a strop, the rest will need to hang onto his coat tails.

Would love Migliozzi to pish in Hattons corflakes sometime over the weekend.

6 Scots made the cut, magic. Good to see Thomas, Morikawa and Schauffele making a fist of it and not just here for the Haggis, lobster and Cullen Skink.

Sat/Sun 3 balls, unusual, they'll have their reasons, Health and Safety nae doot.

3 balls will be due to the large numbers of players on the cut mark. 65 & ties has resulted in 87 in the 3rd round.

There have been cases in the past where a further cut will be made after the 3rd round to reduce the field on the final day.

I watched the "Featured Groups" on Sky this morning with Rahm's 7 under through 10 holes, probably being the best spell of golf I have watched. He missed 2 putts under 10 feet for further birdies in this spell. Only surprise was him struggling over the next 4 holes before steadying the ship on the final stretch of his round.

The bookies will be shortening his odds "big time" for The Open if he has a good weekend. If he can keep the lid on his short fuse, he will be difficult to beat at Sandwich.

Edited by 2205ian

5 hours ago, 2205ian said:

3 balls will be due to the large numbers of players on the cut mark. 65 & ties has resulted in 87 in the 3rd round.

There have been cases in the past where a further cut will be made after the 3rd round to reduce the field on the final day.

I watched the "Featured Groups" on Sky this morning with Rahm's 7 under through 10 holes, probably being the best spell of golf I have watched. He missed 2 putts under 10 feet for further birdies in this spell. Only surprise was him struggling over the next 4 holes before steadying the ship on the final stretch of his round.

The bookies will be shortening his odds "big time" for The Open if he has a good weekend. If he can keep the lid on his short fuse, he will be difficult to beat at Sandwich.

Thanks for clearing the 3 ball format up.

Sky's coverage is poor, "Featured Groups" / "Following The Leaders" apart from McIlroy, needed to be somewhere else I reckon. If Sky does cut to another random group, it's inevitable a birdie or better will be the result, too predictable.

Rahms, short fuse, it's part of his make-up (fire in his adequate belly) along with his 3/4 swing, not much can go wrong with that technique, his heid on the other hand?

Brolly and waterproofs today unfortunately, shame, because this is another scenic part of the country.

Just 4000 punters allowed in each day, it's a start...

Tommy Brown

Hi @OBE

How have you watched it down down there.

Did you follow a group for most of there round? Hsve you selected a point like 14th green, where you maybe be able to view close by holes.

I really need to go to big golf competition  keep saying it and never do it.

Hi, TB

You keeping well?

Only going down for today. Yes, 12, 13 and 14 will be a popular area, 13th especially, heavy rough to the right and beach to the left. When standing on the tee there's very little to aim at, if that easterly prevails, there could be a few drives turned over. Had a putt on 13 for a birdie (CLIC Sargent charity do) 12ft down hill left to right, :001_9898: ma breeks and left it short...:biggrin2:

Big competitions...you've go to go when it's in EH, it's your duty.

You up North again for their open season?

Gotta go, got a piece to make...take care Bud!

Edited by OBE

Tommy Brown
1 hour ago, OBE said:

Hi, TB

You keeping well?

Only going down for today. Yes, 12, 13 and 14 will be a popular area, 13th especially, heavy rough to the right and beach to the left. When standing on the tee there's very little to aim at, if that easterly prevails, there could be a few drives turned over. Had a putt on 13 for a birdie (CLIC Sargent charity do) 12ft down hill left to right, :001_9898: ma breeks and left it short...:biggrin2:

Big competitions...you've go to go when it's in EH, it's your duty.

You up North again for their open season?

Gotta go, got a piece to make...take care Bud!

Had a major op late April, unlikey to play for 6 months. Will be raring to go next year.

Mates are going Open daft just now, biggest is the Highland Open in Sept.

Spey Valley/Boat of Garten/Grantown on Spey. Had intended to to Dornoch and Nairn Dunbar, but had to cancel.

I'm doing well, thanks. Hope your playing well and will get in touch when I'm back playing again., next season 👍

Was along at the Scottish yesterday. Good day out. Limited ticket numbers meant we were easily able to follow the McIlroy, Rahm and Thomas group for a good while in the morning. Afternoon we spent watching mostly the Macintyre, Westwood and Morikawa group and the group with Fleetwood in it who were in front of them.

Got sun burnt in the 14 degree, cloudy, weather.

11 hours ago, OBE said:

Thanks for clearing the 3 ball format up.

Sky's coverage is poor, "Featured Groups" / "Following The Leaders" apart from McIlroy, needed to be somewhere else I reckon. If Sky does cut to another random group, it's inevitable a birdie or better will be the result, too predictable.

Rahms, short fuse, it's part of his make-up (fire in his adequate belly) along with his 3/4 swing, not much can go wrong with that technique, his heid on the other hand?

Brolly and waterproofs today unfortunately, shame, because this is another scenic part of the country.

Just 4000 punters allowed in each day, it's a start...

Hope you enjoyed your day OBE.

I imagine it was a bit sticky wearing your waterproofs, however the brolly would come in handy as a sunshade:whistling:. Typical weather forecast gone wrong, but always safer to go prepared in Scotland.

Jon Rahm's Achilles heel with his short putts has cost him the lead. The one on 16 was a particularly poor effort, however still finished 2 under after a slow start & only 1 off the lead.

He was quite laid back being interviewed post round & I expect him to be holding the trophy tomorrow night. 

Looking forward to a good finish as plenty in with a chance. If the forecast is more accurate tomorrow, keeping the ball out the rough could prove to be decisive.