Official Golf geeks gibber thread

Victorian

2205ian
36 minutes ago, Bigsmak said:

49.. what the actual.. how is that even a thing. 

Regarding the double bogey.. it's net double bogey.. so a 36 handicapper with 2 shots per hole, can shoot 4 over on each hole to play to meet double bogey. 

But seriously. 49.. I'd have to give you 45 shots.. 3 per hole pretty much. No chance for me.

So.. if I was you, I would play the most conservative golf that you have ever played in this medal. Take everything higher than a 5 iron out of your bag and hit your 5 off the tee and keep it in play. Do not try to smack it. 

Try and be on a par 4 green in 3, or maybe 4 and hopefully 2 putt about 8 or 9 times. 

Even on the par 3s, get on in 2 and you will be sailing. For a 170yrd par 3 hit a 9 iron off the tee to take the green side bunkers out of play and chip on and you'll walk away with a 4 or 5 at worst.  

If you do that you will win by 20. 

:lol:

Gone are the days when it 3/4 of difference based on a maximum of 1 shot a hole.

The game went daft when they introduced "C" Sections & 28 handicaps, not forgetting "full difference" which is detrimental to golfers of your standard. Am I correct that 54 is now a "maximum" handicap, if so they guys & galls should be restricted to the practice ground:whistling:

The "C" section was mainly to cater for the older members of the Club. The opposite happened with young guys winning the competitions which lead to the "C" section being shelved at my Club after a short period of time

• Replies 11.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hmfc_liam06

• Samuel Camazzola

• Irufushi

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

hmfc_liam06
5 hours ago, Bigsmak said:

49.. what the actual.. how is that even a thing. 

Regarding the double bogey.. it's net double bogey.. so a 36 handicapper with 2 shots per hole, can shoot 4 over on each hole to play to meet double bogey. 

But seriously. 49.. I'd have to give you 45 shots.. 3 per hole pretty much. No chance for me.

So.. if I was you, I would play the most conservative golf that you have ever played in this medal. Take everything higher than a 5 iron out of your bag and hit your 5 off the tee and keep it in play. Do not try to smack it. 

Try and be on a par 4 green in 3, or maybe 4 and hopefully 2 putt about 8 or 9 times. 

Even on the par 3s, get on in 2 and you will be sailing. For a 170yrd par 3 hit a 9 iron off the tee to take the green side bunkers out of play and chip on and you'll walk away with a 4 or 5 at worst.  

If you do that you will win by 20. 

It's just double bogey when playing for handicap though, no such thing as nett when you don't have a handicap surely.

hmfc_liam06

Question - what are your clubs policy on general play scores from medal tees? I know some are allowing it and some aren't. We were asked today, just seeing what the general consensus is...

Samuel Camazzola
1 hour ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Question - what are your clubs policy on general play scores from medal tees? I know some are allowing it and some aren't. We were asked today, just seeing what the general consensus is...

Would they not just play from the regular tees with the slope rating applied? 

Juan Jose Carricondo Perez
1 hour ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

yellow tees at our course for general play although I don’t think it’s a strict rule. 

My club allows bounce games off medal tees during the summer peak. Just have to be that bit more considerate and repair from the sand bucket.

There are upsides and downsides but I think it is good to let members practise from the hardest tees.

merrymac
On 29/03/2021 at 20:49, hmfc_liam06 said:

Our members can play from whichever tees they want to at any time👍

joondalupjambo
On 29/03/2021 at 20:49, hmfc_liam06 said:

Lundie trying it's hardest to let you play off any tee for competitions.

I am 9.6 WHS so 11 off white, guess what? I looked and 9.6 is 11 off Greens.

Our Pro has an issue for his Saturday sweep and 2's because folk are saying I am not going in for sweep or 2's if some folk are playing off the Greens.  Pro might need to run two sweeps and 2's.

Also for general play cards you can play off any tee.

Match's view is that the WHS is in place and it is only right and proper that we follow the principals of that new process.

Members mixed views and some low boys saying you can bolt now for them playing in the Saturday competitions.

I think once the WHS is bedded in then more people will understand it.

My gripe is that one of it's aims is to encourage more folk to take up the game but what we are finding is that players are in groups putting in general play cards on a regular basis and of course they are all playing out in the majority of holes during what were once normal friendly four balls rounds through the week.  If this continues then slow play will rear it's ugly head for sure.  And that will counter the arguement of getting more folk to play the game because new comers will see how slow it is to get round.

Edited by joondalupjambo
hmfc_liam06
2 hours ago, joondalupjambo said:

Our Pro has an issue for his Saturday sweep and 2's because folk are saying I am not going in for sweep or 2's if some folk are playing off the Greens.  Pro might need to run two sweeps and 2's.

Match's view is that the WHS is in place and it is only right and proper that we follow the principals of that new process.

Members mixed views and some low boys saying you can bolt now for them playing in the Saturday competitions.

My gripe is that one of it's aims is to encourage more folk to take up the game but what we are finding is that players are in groups putting in general play cards on a regular basis and of course they are all playing out in the majority of holes during what were once normal friendly four balls rounds through the week.  If this continues then slow play will rear it's ugly head for sure.  And that will counter the arguement of getting more folk to play the game because new comers will see how slow it is to get round.

Some good points in there. Madness that they're allowing comps to be played from any tee though. 

We've decided not to allow general play from white tees for a couple of reasons.

Tees are probably our biggest problem area, they aren't great condition wise. Also, we have 4 competitions a week so there is already plenty scope to play from white tees.

Samuel Camazzola
4 hours ago, joondalupjambo said:

I agree that for sweep purposes, the competitions need to be from defined tees. The Pro will need to determine if he needs to operate multiple kitties. 

However, if someone is only wanting to take part in the medal for handicap purposes, they should be able to play from any tee box (including ladies/ability tees) as the relevant slope rating will be applied. 

Samuel Camazzola
4 hours ago, joondalupjambo said:

I agree that for sweep purposes, the competitions need to be from defined tees. The Pro will need to determine if he needs to operate multiple kitties. 

However, if someone is only wanting to take part in the medal for handicap purposes, they should be able to play from any tee box (including ladies/ability tees) as the relevant slope rating will be applied. 

Ron Swanson

Played my first few holes tonight since courses opened back up on Monday.

Few hooks to start with off the tee (I'll blame doing a load of digging up grass and painting fences) but pretty happy with everything tee to green after 3 holes. Can't complain at a couple of birdies. Greens a bit ropey but hopefully a decent bit of weather will bring them on.

Then it'll all go t**s up on Saturday with a scorecard in my had.

joondalupjambo
12 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Some good points in there. Madness that they're allowing comps to be played from any tee though. 

We've decided not to allow general play from white tees for a couple of reasons.

Tees are probably our biggest problem area, they aren't great condition wise. Also, we have 4 competitions a week so there is already plenty scope to play from white tees.

Blooming heck change already.  I think the club is all over the place with this.

Update just come out this morning would you believe it saying white tees for comp only given, and is what you are saying that we have so many comps that we need to protect the white tee areas.

The issue here seems to be that notifications are sent out, members challenge them for good reason and changes are made.  

This is what happens when you do not consult prior to putting out key updates.

I suspect that slow play is getting mentioned all the time and it will be a bigger problem the more times members are allowed off the back tees hence the hastened change.

joondalupjambo
10 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Yep that is the purpose of the WHS and I say that when folk say it is nonsense about playing off any tees in a comp.  The minor problem is though if due to the slope rating you can play off a tee a bit further forward with no stroke loss is that fair?  It must have been factored into the WHS somehow?

Samuel Camazzola
25 minutes ago, joondalupjambo said:

Yep that is the purpose of the WHS and I say that when folk say it is nonsense about playing off any tees in a comp.  The minor problem is though if due to the slope rating you can play off a tee a bit further forward with no stroke loss is that fair?  It must have been factored into the WHS somehow?

I have questioned some of the slope ratings on the courses I've played. Competitions at The Fairmont and Balbirnie Park had the same slope which isn't reflective of their difficulty. I get the impression that that slopes have been rated from the tips (in Fairmont's case, the tees used on Tour) and the others have just had an adjustment applied based on the reduction in length which isn't consistent. 

merrymac

I am appealing to the golfing intelligentsia on this thread to explain something regarding the WHS.

My current rating is 3.3. I looked at the rating for Carnoustie Champ and discover the following

IMG_1313.PNG.42dddf3ce01f338c188a75e7ea498a89.PNG 

For the men's yellow tees I receive 4 strokes over 18 holes, but if only playing the back nine would receive 5?

If this is correct can someone explain, or am I reading it wrong.It is the same on other courses as well.

Over to you guys!

1 hour ago, merrymac said:

I am appealing to the golfing intelligentsia on this thread to explain something regarding the WHS.

My current rating is 3.3. I looked at the rating for Carnoustie Champ and discover the following

For the men's yellow tees I receive 4 strokes over 18 holes, but if only playing the back nine would receive 5?

If this is correct can someone explain, or am I reading it wrong.It is the same on other courses as well.

Over to you guys!

At a guess... you'd be expected to shoot better on the front 9 so get less shots where as the back 9 you'd be expected to shoot worse? So if you were to play a 9 hole tournament then the number of shots you get could be more than your 18 hole handicap.

But I don't understand that either. But then I've never played a 9 hole tournament using my handicap - if I were to I'd have assumed it'd be between 40-60% of my handicap depending on the stroke index of the holes, not total more shots if combining both 9 holes into 18 like this system is doing?

hmfc_liam06
3 minutes ago, kila said:

At a guess... you'd be expected to shoot better on the front 9 so get less shots where as the back 9 you'd be expected to shoot worse? So if you were to play a 9 hole tournament then the number of shots you get could be more than your 18 hole handicap.

But I don't understand that either. But then I've never played a 9 hole tournament using my handicap - if I were to I'd have assumed it'd be between 40-60% of my handicap depending on the stroke index of the holes, not total more shots if combining both 9 holes into 18 like this system is doing?

I played in a 9 hole open last year, never again.

Don't know how they were working it out but it looked to be 50% + 1 extra stroke. My 12 handicap become 5. My mates 6 become 2.

merrymac
27 minutes ago, kila said:

Cheers certainly got me stumped 

if I play 18 I get 4

if I play it as two x nine I get 8 🤔

Juan Jose Carricondo Perez

Can’t imagine there will be many courses with such a swing in slope ratings between the front and back nine. 

Got my handicap problem updated ahead of Saturday. My 49 has been cut to 12. Possibly regretting rasing this to the club before the medal! 

Samuel Camazzola
4 hours ago, merrymac said:

Over to you guys!

Doesn't it work that you get 50% of the course handicap? If you played two loops of the front 9, you'd get three strokes. If you played two loops of back 9, you'd get 5?

merrymac
1 hour ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Doesn't it work that you get 50% of the course handicap? If you played two loops of the front 9, you'd get three strokes. If you played two loops of back 9, you'd get 5?

Seems feasible but rather poorly put across by the SGU

hmfc_liam06
53 minutes ago, merrymac said:

Seems feasible but rather poorly put across by the SGU

Shock :lol:

merrymac
21 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Shock :lol:

😂 right on point for the bumblers

2205ian
5 hours ago, Juan Jose Carricondo Perez said:

Can’t imagine there will be many courses with such a swing in slope ratings between the front and back nine. 

Got my handicap problem updated ahead of Saturday. My 49 has been cut to 12. Possibly regretting rasing this to the club before the medal! 

:lol:.

Looking at various posts on here from experienced golfers & club administrators, you have got to wonder "What is the point" of introducing a system that folk either a - do not understand, b - don't care enough to want to understand.

I come into the latter category.

Why not add to the mess by introducing "Mulligans", I'm sure our friends across the water would welcome this natural addition to making a great game become a farce.

I cannot remember the source, but the person who wrote that the rules of golf should fit on the back of a postage stamp, had the right idea. I have a rule book in my bag, but on the rare occasions I try to locate a rule for the situation encountered, I never seem to be able to locate it. Good job there is no time limit like 3 minutes for finding a ball.

Easy answer - Hit the ball, play the next from where it lies (or take a penalty shot or 2 depending where you have hit it) until you get the ball in the hole..........not forgetting, get round the course at a steady rate & stop copying the nuances introduced by professional golfers & their caddies in terms of actually hitting the ball.

Slow play is the biggest issue in the game. As a previous poster has indicated, golf needs to be careful & not lose the new recruits to the game on the back of Covid restrictions due to the time it takes to play 18 holes.

Samuel Camazzola
6 hours ago, 2205ian said:

:lol:.

Looking at various posts on here from experienced golfers & club administrators, you have got to wonder "What is the point" of introducing a system that folk either a - do not understand, b - don't care enough to want to understand.

I come into the latter category.

Why not add to the mess by introducing "Mulligans", I'm sure our friends across the water would welcome this natural addition to making a great game become a farce.

I cannot remember the source, but the person who wrote that the rules of golf should fit on the back of a postage stamp, had the right idea. I have a rule book in my bag, but on the rare occasions I try to locate a rule for the situation encountered, I never seem to be able to locate it. Good job there is no time limit like 3 minutes for finding a ball.

Easy answer - Hit the ball, play the next from where it lies (or take a penalty shot or 2 depending where you have hit it) until you get the ball in the hole..........not forgetting, get round the course at a steady rate & stop copying the nuances introduced by professional golfers & their caddies in terms of actually hitting the ball.

Slow play is the biggest issue in the game. As a previous poster has indicated, golf needs to be careful & not lose the new recruits to the game on the back of Covid restrictions due to the time it takes to play 18 holes.

The new handicap system will be more beneficial than the previous one and given time, it will weed out the bandits getting away with posting 45 pointers in the Stablefords 

The timing of the introduction wasn't the best with it coming in the autumn of last year but it'll work out once it's in flow for the season. 

The question marks for me are on the consistency of the slope ratings across the various tee boxes. 

hmfc_liam06
3 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

The new handicap system will be more beneficial than the previous one and given time, it will weed out the bandits getting away with posting 45 pointers in the Stablefords 

The timing of the introduction wasn't the best with it coming in the autumn of last year but it'll work out once it's in flow for the season. 

The question marks for me are on the consistency of the slope ratings across the various tee boxes. 

Agree, I'm a fan of the new system.

I'm 11.0 at my home club.

But if I were to take that 11 to Carnoustie for example, I'd toil, due to the course being much harder. The new system means I get around 14 or 15 shots there. I think it's a great thing that golfers handicaps are adjusted by the course difficulty.

Plus, the system figures it all out for you, there's no real need to understand anything.

2205ian
6 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

I appreciate your comments & I too hope it manages to capture the bandits!

Do you know who decides the slope ratings? I can remember SSS being introduced which was decided by volunteers attached to Areas (Lothians, Fife etc). Not to dismiss these guys, but I was not convinced by many who IMO did not have the golfing ability to decide on the difficulty of the course.

Maybe I should set aside some time to research the system instead of reading the guff on The Terrace:thumbsup:

Samuel Camazzola
6 hours ago, 2205ian said:

I appreciate your comments & I too hope it manages to capture the bandits!

Do you know who decides the slope ratings? I can remember SSS being introduced which was decided by volunteers attached to Areas (Lothians, Fife etc). Not to dismiss these guys, but I was not convinced by many who IMO did not have the golfing ability to decide on the difficulty of the course.

Maybe I should set aside some time to research the system instead of reading the guff on The Terrace:thumbsup:

With regards to slope ratings, I'm not sure how that's determined or if Scottish Golf have had an input or steer. At one of my courses, although the course is rated more difficult from the whites, I find it easier purely because the shots fit my eye better and find it more straightforward to plot my way from this spots. 

I still have a feeling that the slope will have been worked out from the tips and the other tees are just adjusted based on guesstimates. 

10 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

But if I were to take that 11 to Carnoustie for example, I'd toil, due to the course being much harder. The new system means I get around 14 or 15 shots there. I think it's a great thing that golfers handicaps are adjusted by the course difficulty.

Plus, the system figures it all out for you, there's no real need to understand anything.

Makes sense, because a club handicap before would either travel well to other courses or hinder you.

Tommy Brown
On 02/04/2021 at 10:45, hmfc_liam06 said:

But does not just mean the the course sss is wrong everywhere?

But I am  fan so far.

I fear it may allow chances to play off higher than should more easily.

Armageddon

First medal yesterday, a total handicap workout mind ****!!

I play off 7.6.

Course handicap of 7

Scored +3 nett 66

Cut to 6.7

Had no idea what I’d be cut to until I woke this morning!

merrymac

Matt Wallace doing an exemplary job of the old crashing bottle!!

The Volcano hasn't exploded yet but sure I can hear the rumbling from here😳

Samuel Camazzola
10 hours ago, Armageddon said:

I play off 7.6.

Course handicap of 7

Scored +3 nett 66

Cut to 6.7

Do you have Scottish Golf app? Your last 20 scores will be displayed with your best 8 highlighted. Your WHS will be calculated using the average of the "differential". 

From reviewing this, you'll get an idea what you need to score to get into your top 8. You'll also see what aged scores are poised to drop out of your 20.

Tommy Brown
11 hours ago, Armageddon said:

I play off 7.6.

Course handicap of 7

Scored +3 nett 66

Cut to 6.7

Your scores are calculated as the image.

Your best 8 added together and ÷8.

It's worth knowing your highest of the 8.

It gets replaced by your good score from yesterday.

You then recalculate.

I hope this message sense.:lol:

Screenshot_20210404-144051_Chrome.jpg

2205ian

:wallbash:

I think I will not bother setting time aside to research this now after that resume of the system.

I appreciate those in favour will state "The system will work it out for you", but does not get away from it being a crock of s**t.....IMO.

Just keep it simple, it's hard enough a game without adding windmills & other obstacles from crazy golf into the handicap system.

hmfc_liam06
12 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Do you have Scottish Golf app? Your last 20 scores will be displayed with your best 8 highlighted. Your WHS will be calculated using the average of the "differential". 

From reviewing this, you'll get an idea what you need to score to get into your top 8. You'll also see what aged scores are poised to drop out of your 20.

I'm due an increase as 3 of my 8 are in my oldest 4 scores. So unless I equal or better them in the next 4 rounds I'll be going up a bit.

It also shows the importance of not NR'ing. My mate NR'd Sunday and went up 0.6.

Bigsmak
11 hours ago, 2205ian said:

:wallbash:

I think I will not bother setting time aside to research this now after that resume of the system.

I appreciate those in favour will state "The system will work it out for you", but does not get away from it being a crock of s**t.....IMO.

Just keep it simple, it's hard enough a game without adding windmills & other obstacles from crazy golf into the handicap system.

It actually makes the game a lot fairer and your handicap a lot more accurate than the old system.   Your Handicap will change more to reflect how you are playing.  

hmfc_liam06
1 hour ago, Bigsmak said:

It actually makes the game a lot fairer and your handicap a lot more accurate than the old system.   Your Handicap will change more to reflect how you are playing.  

Yip. It's all about current form rather than getting slashed after a good couple weeks and never being able to hit it again.

The positives outweigh the negatives for me.

2205ian
1 hour ago, Bigsmak said:

It looks like I need to investigate matters in more detail. System seems to be getting more positive reviews on here.

The main issue I have at present, my general play is probably in line with HMFC's recent performances!

Medal play has been put on back burner for the last few years as I was getting fed up with it taking 4+ hours for a round.

Samuel Camazzola
2 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

I'm due an increase as 3 of my 8 are in my oldest 4 scores. So unless I equal or better them in the next 4 rounds I'll be going up a bit.

It also shows the importance of not NR'ing. My mate NR'd Sunday and went up 0.6.

I played in a three man scramble using the new % application to each player. I think it worked out to near enough the same as the old formula (give or take a decimal point or two). 

Also played Dumbarnie again yesterday in the gusting wind and my strokes were eaten up early doors! 😄

Fairways are generous but putts were getting blown offline. Still a joy to play and looking to visit again in next couple of weeks whilst availability is good and special rate is applied. 

hmfc_liam06
2 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

I played in a three man scramble using the new % application to each player. I think it worked out to near enough the same as the old formula (give or take a decimal point or two). 

Also played Dumbarnie again yesterday in the gusting wind and my strokes were eaten up early doors! 😄

Fairways are generous but putts were getting blown offline. Still a joy to play and looking to visit again in next couple of weeks whilst availability is good and special rate is applied. 

I'm going to head back once the clubhouse is open. Fife rate will be in place for all of this year again it seems.

Samuel Camazzola
31 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

I'm going to head back once the clubhouse is open. Fife rate will be in place for all of this year again it seems.

Three price categories apply again but a further reduction is in place now until 18th April. 😉 

Bigsmak
9 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

I'm staying in Fife now and am thinking of trying to get a game at Dunbarnie - if you need someone to make up numbers 

Jamie Walker Tash

£5 on Dechambeau to win The Masters @ 10/1. Last time I put money on The Masters was 2019 when I had Molinari @ 25/1. We all know how that ended 😬

On 05/04/2021 at 22:32, Bigsmak said:

I'm staying in Fife now and am thinking of trying to get a game at Dunbarnie - if you need someone to make up numbers 

Will do 👍

77 tonight in general play, should get me a 0.4 cut by my calculations.

On 04/04/2021 at 11:52, Armageddon said:

I play off 7.6.

Course handicap of 7

Scored +3 nett 66

Cut to 6.7

thats good golf,